• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a Subscription Service Model Truly Sustainable in this Industry?

Is a Subscription Service Sustainable in the Gaming Industry?

• Yes

Votes: 91 38.7%
  • Yes, but not now

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Yes, but only as an added feature (Playstation model)

Votes: 57 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 80 34.0%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
For me its not even matter of if its profitable or not, its a matter of how it affects first party studio games who are all pushed towards making GaaS games filled with mtx, so genre i got 0 interest towars, thats the biggest turn off.
U can add on top some other factors, like for example if playstation exclusive gets pushed back- its ok, u will pay for it if/when it launches and u like it, if xbox exclusive gets pushed back, then u have to pay additional weeks/months(and sometimes years) for possibility of playing it as a part of gamepass deal.

So for example if i bought Gamepass say in july for 6 months, just to play starfield in november, and now it got delayed(we dont even know to when, might be january, might be november 2023) thats significant cost increase of playing it(and no, i dont give a damn about indies or 2ndrate AAA games who are released on it months after actual launch.
This. 100%.

Happened to me earlier this year. I got their 3 month sub over the summer since they promised halo coop launching in summer. now i only paid $1 for it, but i know guys who paid for three years to take advantage of the XBL Gold conversion. thats $180. delays like that are simply inexcusable especially considering they didnt replace starfield, halo coop and redfall with other exclusives like forza hot wheels.

Ozriel

M$FT
Its all true ofc, but 3 caviots.
1. Before MS statements gotta assume gamepass wasnt profitable or they would announce it sooner

‘Announce sooner’? Microsoft didn’t ‘announce’ GP was profitable. Spencer mentioned it in an interview.

2. Being profitable can mean making big profit or barely any, so far from quality of games given in gamepass(delayed first party, indies, 2ndrate or not launch AAA games) we can only assume they cant pay top quality AAA games to show up in there at launch, at least now and for forezeeable future- who knows in few years.

To put this as charitably as possible, The logic that the service must not be profitable since they aren’t paying $100+ million for the likes of COD is frankly bananas.

3. Definitely cant compare it to movies/tv series, only succesful platform is netflix there, and even they noticed recently huge dropoff.

Disney Plus is also considered successful.
But yes, you can’t compare it to Netflix.

Beside the point but if gamepass was so amazing we would have by now all/most 3rd parties gravitate towards it, and again, with all due respect- i dont mean indies or 2nd rate games, but big AAA games/pubs, for call of duty to be on gamepass MS needed to buy whole activision, before there was no chance for it, even now when deal is in the works and very likely will go trought- still CoD isnt on gamepass- if it would be good for CoD w/o MS actually forcing it by buying activition- they already would be there.

MS was never going to pay for COD for GP. Their well laid out strategy is centered around using their first party to fill out the service, hence their increased acquisition spree since 2017.

Weird how you’re arguing that they aren't putting super expensive 3rd party games in the service day one, yet still trying to float a narrative of very narrow profit margins.

reksveks

This. 100%.

Happened to me earlier this year. I got their 3 month sub over the summer since they promised halo coop launching in summer. now i only paid $1 for it, but i know guys who paid for three years to take advantage of the XBL Gold conversion. thats $180. delays like that are simply inexcusable especially considering they didnt replace starfield, halo coop and redfall with other exclusives like forza hot wheels
Sorry SlimySnake but that's a you fault. Same shit as people pre-ordering games.

PillsOff

Banned
enough organisational skills can make almost anything profitable

Real question is...
Will corporations like Microsoft restrain them selfs from turnin it all into paid subscription for their always dreamed of always online live service hell of an industry?
Answer is no, they will not restrain shit.

So there gonna be a quite a process shaping what the fuck future of this industry actually is

Ozriel

M$FT
This. 100%.

Happened to me earlier this year. I got their 3 month sub over the summer since they promised halo coop launching in summer. now i only paid $1 for it, but i know guys who paid for three years to take advantage of the XBL Gold conversion. thats $180. delays like that are simply inexcusable especially considering they didnt replace starfield, halo coop and redfall with other exclusives like forza hot wheels.

You paid $1 for three months and wanted to be given $20 DLC because Halo co-op mode got delayed for a few months?

A significant portion of AAA games in recent times suffered pandemic related delays. Why would you expect compensation for any of that?

Why forecast future delays? expecting another pandemic?

Ozriel

M$FT
enough organisational skills can make almost anything profitable

Real question is...
Will corporations like Microsoft restrain them selfs from turnin it all into paid subscription for their always dreamed of always online live service hell of an industry?
Answer is no, they will not restrain shit.

So there gonna be a quite a process shaping what the fuck future of this industry actually is

Spencer: “we expect Gamepass to be 15% of our revenue. Retail will continue to be a big player for us”

You: “MS will scrap selling games on Steam, XBL and in stores and push everyone to Gamepass”

Why?

Last edited:

PeteBull

MS was never going to pay for COD for GP. Their well laid out strategy is centered around using their first party to fill out the service, hence their increased acquisition spree since 2017.

Weird how you’re arguing that they aren't putting super expensive 3rd party games in the service day one, yet still trying to float a narrative of very narrow profit margins.
Thats the proof gamepass doesnt make them big money, and it doesnt make big moeny for AAA 3rd party games on gamepass either, otherwise like mentioned those publishers would run to MS themselfs to be there at launch, and yet instead activition prefered CoD to not be there, for as long as its not part of MS, and that was correct choice- game sold gangbusters making record profits so far, at least early on, as a Gafer im sure u stumbled upon that recent news urself without me needing to point it out, but just incase i did :)

Phil himself mentioned Gamepass is only 10-15% of thier total gaming revenue so its not my narrative but actual words of our savior mr phil :)

reksveks

They mean not as the main attraction. So not releasing on it first and foremost.
Product position/marketing is kinda irrelevant to the conversation, no?

surely the question should be about the % of revenue in which case we know the answer

I don't think so, at least not without annual discounts which are against the model. I am so fucking cheap, I'll just play and unsub until the next game. Tends to be months. Others will make infinite trial accounts.

PillsOff

Banned
Spencer: “we expect Gamepass to be 15% of our revenue. Retail will continue to be a big player for us”

You: “MS will scrap selling games on Steam, XBL and in stores and push everyone to Gamepass”

Why?
WTF?
If you reading what i wrote as "Microsoft ll stop all sales Tomorrow morning" it's your deal, there is no proper responding to that

Three

Product position/marketing is kinda irrelevant to the conversation, no?

surely the question should be about the % of revenue in which case we know the answer
What does it have to do with marketing? It clearly means can they sustain releasing games to a subscription service forgoing the sales on the platform from release day or would it work as a kind of added feature for older games. Like TV and movies.

Last edited:

reksveks

What does it have to do with marketing?

It clearly means can they sustain releasing games to a subscription service forgoing the sales on the platform from release day.
as in completely forgoing all revenue? if so, would GP be included on "as an additional feature".

Maybe we are talking about two different levels, games revenue vs platform revenue and even that gets weird.

Long day at work.

Just seen the edit. but yeah, i don't get where GP fits into this but yes, it can work for MS/Platform holders.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
For me its not even matter of if its profitable or not, its a matter of how it affects first party studio games who are all pushed towards making GaaS games filled with mtx, so genre i got 0 interest towars, thats the biggest turn off.
U can add on top some other factors, like for example if playstation exclusive gets pushed back- its ok, u will pay for it if/when it launches and u like it, if xbox exclusive gets pushed back, then u have to pay additional weeks/months(and sometimes years) for possibility of playing it as a part of gamepass deal.

So for example if i bought Gamepass say in july for 6 months, just to play starfield in november, and now it got delayed(we dont even know to when, might be january, might be november 2023) thats significant cost increase of playing it(and no, i dont give a damn about indies or 2ndrate AAA games who are released on it months after actual launch.
Being pushed toward making GaaS filled with MTX doesn't seem to be the result of subscription services like game pass or PS+, though. It's more the result of people actually being willing to dump more cash in total into a free to play live service game than a traditional $70 game with traditional DLC purchases. If game pass and PS+ extra went away tomorrow people would still dump loads of cash into Fortnite.

PeteBull

Being pushed toward making GaaS filled with MTX doesn't seem to be the result of subscription services like game pass or PS+, though. It's more the result of people actually being willing to dump more cash in total into a free to play live service game than a traditional $70 game with traditional DLC purchases. If game pass and PS+ extra went away tomorrow people would still dump loads of cash into Fortnite.
I dont mind fortnite being there, if some1 is enthusiast(stupid) enough to pay tens/hundreds of bucks for mtx , who am i to stop him/her, what i mind is first party studios being forced to make multiplayer/GaaS/mtx packed shit games instead of proper top quality singleplayer experiences, it hurt MS a lot, and if sony goes same path, it will hurt them big time too(imho ofc).

Not really. They haven't done it so far with any reasonable consistency.

Literally every AAA game they have released since GamePass launched, has been on GamePass. Your issue is with Microsoft’s pace of making games, not this idea that their games will stop being AAA. They have a slew of AAA games in the pipeline.

In your illogical doomsday scenario where MS stops making AAA games, how do they intend to sell people on the service? How do they intend to sell these games at retail or digital if they’re all smaller AA games? They’re going to completely revamp their portfolio for a service that they expect to account for 10-15% of their revenue?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I dont mind fortnite being there, if some1 is enthusiast(stupid) enough to pay tens/hundreds of bucks for mtx , who am i to stop him/her, what i mind is first party studios being forced to make multiplayer/GaaS/mtx packed shit games instead of proper top quality singleplayer experiences, it hurt MS a lot, and if sony goes same path, it will hurt them big time too(imho ofc).
I can understand that. I also can't think of any examples where developers have been forced to make crap games instead of good games by subscription services. Reason and logic should lead us to the conclusion that it's in the best interest of a subscription service to have more games people like to play than games people don't like to play to entice subscribers to pay for the service. If developers try to pump out shovelware and the services are nothing but that people will just stop subscribing.

If we ever reach a place where the only way to play games is via subscription services I could maybe see this becoming a valid concern, but the only way this dystopian hellscape could actually happen is if there's no competition left that provides a better experience and there's no other way for developers to monetize games. I think gaming as we know it would already be dead long before that happens.

As far as the lack of big AAA third party games go, I think that’s simply a sign of MS not wanting to invest a lot of money into deals like this. Similar to how they’ve slowed way down on timed exclusive deals and completely stopped timed exclusive content AFAIK. It just takes too much money when you’re the third place console and it’s not money that sees a big ROI. This is also why they are acquiring so many studios.

It’s the same route a lot of the video services took, only unlike services such as Hulu or Netflix, MS doesn’t have to make all their money back in subs. They can develop a “AAA blockbuster”, release it onto GamePass, but also release it to retail and make money that way. For some reason when people are talking nonsense about no more AAA games and all games will become trash GAAS MTX doodoo, they always forget the games are never exclusive to the service.

The subscription service can work as long as you can keep it stocked with compelling content. GamePass is seen as a great value because the games it offers are typically very good. If the games were all A/AA GAAS crap and full of MTX, people wouldn’t subscribe.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Yes.

By the way, how’s “Sony model” any different from Microsoft’s? Because of not having a more mature subscription/cloud model as Microsoft?

It's different because MS can make it work. Sony does not have the financial backbone cloud infrastructure or diverse portfolio (offering more than single player third person story based games) to make it work for now

Last edited:
It's different because MS can make it work. Sony does not have the financial backbone cloud infrastructure or diverse portfolio (offering more than single player third person story based games) to make it work for now

But the OP gave a different reasoning on the third option:

“Yes, but only as an added feature (Playstation model)”

Again, how’s Sony’s model ant different? Is MS forcing users to subscribe to Game Pass in anyway? Last time I checked every single title for XBOX can be purchased on physical media or digital download, either published titles by MS or any other third-party

Three

Again, how’s Sony’s model ant different? Is MS forcing users to subscribe to Game Pass in anyway? Last time I checked every single title for XBOX can be purchased on physical media or digital download, either published titles by MS or any other third-party
The difference is pretty obvious if people don't act like there is no difference. Straight to TV releases also sometimes can be bought. Doesn't mean that the strategy for those movies are the same as any other movie release. The obvious difference is that when you do straight to sub releases you forgo sales and your strategy is clearly different for the games release even if you happen to also sell it. The "added feature" is a poor way of phrasing it but it's akin to TV for old movie releases vs straight to TV if people still have trouble distinguishing the difference between the options.

Negative day releases is the easy out by pretending day 5 is actually day 1. I think that's how they can have both.

I've been in IT for the last 14 years, and this was the exact same question many had when Office 365 came out. There were a ton of critics in the beginning. It also took 7 years for subscription revenue to catch up to single license sales of Office. Nowadays revenue (and profit) is higher than ever, even though per user subscriptions are still pretty cheap. Turns out that people don't mind paying every month if the costs are low enough, and the benefits are considered to be worth it.

Almost all other entertainment mediums have successful subscription services, and gaming subscriptions have the added benefit of being able to sell add-ons, dlc, etc as well.

So my answer to your question is yes, subscription services are not only sustainable in the long run, but I believe they will expand revenues for the entire gaming industry in the future

Three

as in completely forgoing all revenue? if so, would GP be included on "as an additional feature".

Maybe we are talking about two different levels, games revenue vs platform revenue and even that gets weird.

Long day at work.

Just seen the edit. but yeah, i don't get where GP fits into this but yes, it can work for MS/Platform holders.
We are talking about game releases I would think. It's asking would releasing straight to a sub service work or do you believe it only works as an additional "feature"/revenue stream . Like once a movie has had its sales it goes to TV vs straight to TV releases.

Three

I've been in IT for the last 14 years, and this was the exact same question many had when Office 365 came out. There were a ton of critics in the beginning. It also took 7 years for subscription revenue to catch up to single license sales of Office. Nowadays revenue (and profit) is higher than ever, even though per user subscriptions are still pretty cheap. Turns out that people don't mind paying every month if the costs are low enough, and the benefits are considered to be worth it.

Almost all other entertainment mediums have successful subscription services, and gaming subscriptions have the added benefit of being able to sell add-ons, dlc, etc as well.

So my answer to your question is yes, subscription services are not only sustainable in the long run, but I believe they will expand revenues for the entire gaming industry in the future
I believe that Office is like a GaaS game though. It's a service. It is a forever use product with updates. So instead of paying $100 or so every year to get the features and security updates people were more willing to subscribe. Games though I think would struggle. Especially as f2p games if you are going GaaS can make subs seem redundant.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I believe that Office is like a GaaS game though. It's a service. It is a forever use product with updates. So instead of paying $100 or so every year to get the features and security updates people were more willing to subscribe. Games though I think would struggle. Especially as f2p games if you are going GaaS can make subs seem redundant.

But It's not just one game on a subscription service. It's a library of games people pay to get constant access to. A library that gets replenished every month with new titles.
It'll pretty much run the way office 365 does. People paying every month to have access to their games.

Why would games 'struggle'? The service is already sustainable and profitable, so it's clear there's no struggle there.

Three

But It's not just one game on a subscription service. It's a library of games people pay to get constant access to. A library that gets replenished every month with new titles.
It'll pretty much run the way office 365 does. People paying every month to have access to their games.

Why would games 'struggle'? The service is already sustainable and profitable, so it's clear there's no struggle there.
What I mean by 'struggle' isn't that the service isn't profitable or sustainable. It's that I think games aren't suited to it like office as a service is. A GaaS game would rather go f2p because otherwise it would be limiting itself to a smaller audience for mtxs and a big single player game would not make as much because it would forgo launch sales. Do I think smaller titles can thrive on it? sure. Like some straight to TV/sub movies do currently.

Last edited:
Hard no. This is how netflix started. Eventually every company is going to want more and it'll be left with powerwash simulator 2022 and Bean Farmer XTREME 4. We're seeing the good times of it right now. But five years in the future? Either prices skyrocket or it'll splinter.

zzill3

Banned
Hard no. This is how netflix started. Eventually every company is going to want more and it'll be left with powerwash simulator 2022 and Bean Farmer XTREME 4. We're seeing the good times of it right now. But five years in the future? Either prices skyrocket or it'll splinter.
And also, xbox first party games?
There’s a reason they’ve been buying developers and publishers for years. Once ABK closes and Sony’s exclusivity deals expire there’s gonna be plenty of new AA/AAA content on it each year

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Indies will never be that expensive. And Xbox first party. Thats already pretty much how its going. Every once in a long while, like 4x a year, you get a larger third party game like Wo Long or High on Life. Pretty sustainable.

And also, xbox first party games?
There’s a reason they’ve been buying developers and publishers for years. Once ABK closes and Sony’s exclusivity deals expire there’s gonna be plenty of new AA/AAA content on it each year
They haven't released a new elder scrolls game since the 360/ps3 era. Starfield was supposed to be a ps4/xbone game. Halo infinite took years longer and came out undercooked. You think there's going to be plenty of games? With AAA taking longer then ever we will see a few games. Remember Hellblade being the first game to show for the new xbox? Where is it?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
They haven't released a new elder scrolls game since the 360/ps3 era. Starfield was supposed to be a ps4/xbone game. Halo infinite took years longer and came out undercooked. You think there's going to be plenty of games? With AAA taking longer then ever we will see a few games. Remember Hellblade being the first game to show for the new xbox? Where is it?
They've got (Google) 23 first party studios. Worst case they all start taking about 6 years per game like 343 did with Halo Infinite and Gamepass only gets 4 first party games a year. If the Activision deal goes through, then some years you'll get 5 games.

If they manage to get it down to 4 years then you get a new first party game every 2 months.

I'm not sure if this is a real concern.

Griffon

Just like the music industry, the subscription model will make a lot of money for the corps who own the services, and the artists/devs making the actual content will get screwed.

People, just try demos and buy the games you like. This a much saner model.

Last edited:
They've got (Google) 23 first party studios. Worst case they all start taking about 6 years per game like 343 did with Halo Infinite and Gamepass only gets 4 first party games a year. If the Activision deal goes through, then some years you'll get 5 games.

If they manage to get it down to 4 years then you get a new first party game every 2 months.

I'm not sure if this is a real concern.
They've been buying shit since Nadella announced Phil would be head of xbox in 2014. I had a Xbone in 2015. I don't see no new elder scrolls, Starfield still hasn't come out yet, Wasteland 4 is going to be a while. I don't see no Quest for Glory, no Hexen, no Heretic, and no revival of any of the stuff they had in the 90s and 2000s. Where's my god damn games, Bruce?

jakinov

As I think more and more about Gamepass I find myself questioning if this system is truly sustainable moving forward, making enough money to continue such a service...

As gaming technology advances, It is likely that game development costs will also increase, meaning the more subscriptions they MUST have. If they don't gain or worse lose subscriptions then the subscription prices will hike, which may cause further subscription lost.

Then you have some 3rd parties that have or will lose faith in putting games on Xbox (due to anemic software sales) unless they are guaranteed a Gamepass deal, e.g. the Persona games from Atlus most likely only arrived because they got paid a LOT of money. That's even MORE costs adding to the Red.

So, to mitgate this you can cut development budgets to help slow financial bleeding but then you have more Mid-tier "Gamepass games" that, while nice to have, are ultimately not the ones driving up subscription numbers or keeping subscribers on board.

This simply does not feel like a sustainable model for anyone other than a multi billion dollar company that's able to lose millions upon millions in the hopes that things will someday becoming stable and eventually profitable.

How do you accomplish this? Possibly by giving the market little to no choice. Make as many popular IPs entirely exclusive to the service...basically by making an IP as huge as COD exclusively tied to the service.

As we've seen even giants like Netflix have struggled with the subscription service and maintaining profitability. Can this model really work in the AAA home console gaming space?
Your whole post is about weird hypotheticals that make not are highly unlikely and this false idea that subscription services, namely Netflix is not profitable despite the fact that it's been profitble for almost 2 decades.

netflix-net-income.jpg

3rd parties will put games on Xbox as long as people buy the games on Xbox not because overall platform sales for certain games decrease. If their game is desired they will sell it. It's like being worried about F2P games on PC if you think 2 million people will buy your game if you think F2P games take away from the overall pie. Who cares as long as you think ur game will sell. It's also like making the argument, well wouldn't 3rd parties stop supporting playstation if they sspending all their money on PlayStation studios games.

Your idea that you will cut back on spending to make mid tiers games makes no sense. The business of the subscription model is simple you set a fixed finite budget for every year, you release content, you hope you reach ur target subscriber goals. It's not hard for these companies to calculate out, if I get X million subscribers paying $$ a month and allocate this budget i'll have profits.

There's even arguments to made that video streaming and game subscriptions have completely differnet cost structures and that making games is signficantly more sustainble. You know when Microsoft makes a game for gamepass, they can just keep the game on there willy nilly most of the time? You know it doesn't work that way for video streaming? That's because a bunch of hollywood is unioned; writers, directors, actors, people working the cameras, etc. and that there's a history of giving actors, producers and others profit participation points. When a company like Warner Bros Discovery wanted to put the show Friends on HBO Max a streaming service that they own and a show that they own the distribution rights to but not the underlying copyright, they have to pay for the show to be on their streaming service. It's not free, it costs millions and the moeny flows to people who have points like producers, the owners, actors, etc. Sometimes your rights to distribute of a show isn't even for life, it has an expiration.

jakinov

Just like the music industry, the subscription model will make a lot of money for the corps who own the services, and the artists/devs making the actual content will get screwed.

People, just try demos and buy the games you like. This a much saner model.
That's not even true. The most popular music streaming platform has only recently become sporadically profitable and has lost billions over the years. Artists are the ones making money. here but it's shit money compared to bck in the day.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Gears 5, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite campaign, Flight Sim, Starfield, Forza Motorsports? Hellblade 2? Their pledge to put the entirety of XGS, Bethesda and ABK's games on the service?

'is putting' is present continuous tense, you know.
Gears 5 and Forza, yes. But they are the 5th sequel of safe franchises with a set formula. I don't consider Halo Infinite or Flight Sim AAA games. The rest have yet to come so we don't of their production quality or budget and whether they match the current AAA standards. Other games they have launched include Crackdown 3, Bleeding Edge, Grounded, and now Pentiment.

Anyway, unlike what Bumblebeetuna Bumblebeetuna may think, I'm not pointing fingers at Gamepass. I never even mentioned Gamepass once in my comment. I was talking about subscription services in general.

Sony can afford to launch a game like Stray on PS+ but God of War Ragnarok or TLOU 2? Nope, not happening. That's what AAA means to me. Others can disagree with me, and that's fine :)

Ozriel

M$FT
Gears 5 and Forza, yes. But they are the 5th sequel of safe franchises with a set formula. I don't consider Halo Infinite or Flight Sim AAA games. The rest have yet to come so we don't of their production quality or budget and whether they match the current AAA standards. Other games they have launched include Crackdown 3, Bleeding Edge, Grounded, and now Pentiment.

Anyway, unlike what Bumblebeetuna Bumblebeetuna may think, I'm not pointing fingers at Gamepass. I never even mentioned Gamepass once in my comment. I was talking about subscription services in general.

Sony can afford to launch a game like Stray on PS+ but God of War Ragnarok or TLOU 2? Nope, not happening. That's what AAA means to me. Others can disagree with me, and that's fine :)

“Grass is blue. Others may disagree with me, but that’s fine”

AAA is solely a reflection of budget. According to Wikipedia

In the video game industry, AAA (pronounced and sometimes written triple-A) is an informal classification used to categorise games produced and distributed by a mid-sized or major publisher, which typically have higher development and marketing budgets than other tiers of games.[1]

Dismissing big budget games like Gears 5 and FH5 for being sequels (especially while you cite sequels like GoW and TLOU2) makes no sense.

And of course, you’re unwilling to engage with the likes of Starfield.

Look at the state and quality of the games and keep telling yourself it's all going to be ok...

Well, the service continues to grow, so…

gladdys

This. 100%.

I would be interested to know since you had gamespass, what games on that service did you play?

yurinka

This Q2 PS Plus broke the new record for revenue made by a game subscription from a console maker. It makes a ton of revenue and they only put there old games that already did their job selling all they could, which must be cheap for them. Almost don't sacrifies game sales and the sub gives them some extra revenue. Nintendo has a subscriptions for emulator roms they downloaded from internet, they don't even dumped the roms themselves. So yes, PS Plus and the Nintendo one must be sustainable and profitable.

To spend almost $100B on acquisitions and to sacrifice many sales from their own AAA games putting them day one on a game sub, plus paying every year several big 3rd party titles to put their game there day one plus having $1 deals and free months of sub in many places doesn't sound a sustainable business model. I understand is a very aggresive strategy to grow faster, destroy rival console makers and game publishers and later to rise prices, but doesn't seem good.

I see the Sony and Nintendo approaches more logical specially considering them as a secondary revenue source combined with game sales, dlcs and F2P titles.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Afik AAA games are hardly sustainable with the old buy to play way. Dont see it being sustainable without cut backs in the budget and how games are made.

Top Bottom