• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone losing the desire for gaming?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
kingfey kingfey you're on GAF 18 hours a day. If you're burnt our on gaming, why? You're still a teenager, go do something with it.
thanks-mom-thank-you.gif

Amiga

30+ years of gaming. In and out at different phases. It's a hobby not a job. always find time to play what I like. my engagement depends on the game quality. gaming continues evolving to keep me interested.

The vast majority of games don't respect my time, and I prefer to put my spare time into productivity or learning. Also, either when I play or during play I get this feeling of guilt that I could have been doing something "worthwhile".

When I do play, I know what type of game I like and I stick to them, playing on my own time and terms, mood willing. I hate watching TV and films for prolonged periods, and I hate doing so in games. I hate games that hand hold or rail road you for long stretches of time.

Elden Ring, Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Breath of the Wild are examples of what I enjoy, huge worlds where after a short linear section open up to go and do anything. I also enjoy the games with short well paced gameplay loops.

In contrast, in my early life, I primarily loved JRPGs but nowadays I know that I wouldn't touch them... I used love Sony's output, but I find their cinematic direction to be tedious and I'd rather watch highlights of someone playing than actually sit through the frustrating badly paced (in my opinion) gameplay.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Buy some figures of your favorite video games or read a book about the history of video games. I listen to the Ultimate History of Video Games and Play audiobooks multiple times. Video Games won’t break up with you if you take a break. They’re a form of entertainment. If you enjoy the medium a lot. I highly recommend reading up on the history. It’s rewarding to me. Buying a figure is enjoyable for me because it materializes those memories I had with a game.

I still play. I feel like we always should have the mindset to play. Just like Hideo Kojima mentioned homo Ludens. We are those who play. He said even if society were to get destroyed, we’d find a way to play.

Thinking about what games have come out and how some of that excitement has come and gone. A lot of things we finished already. Having finished Elden Ring and I remember the day I first saw the reveal trailer during the Microsoft game conference years before. I remember the Project Scarlet trailer. A lot of that isn’t new news and that excitement is gone (not in a bad way).

Instead of replacing your love of games with excuses. Just keep it there on the inside until another game grabs your interest.

You need multiple hobbies or you can burn out from gaming. I do more gaming in the Winter time, and less when the weather is nice outside. It helps to keep a balance for me.

flying_sq

For sure, I lost a lot of it once I realized how much of my time it was taking up. Now I play anything from 20min, to maybe 2 hours in a session. That isn't every day, just when I play. It really hit me when I started my playstation or PC up, got to the main menu, then realized I didn't want to play it, and shut everything down and walk away. I have to really be interested in a game to play it at all today.

Last edited:

Neo_game

I do not think having access to lot of content has anything to do with it. It is normal for people to get bored of video games and many are still quite similar gameplay wise. Most people only play handful of games a year anyways so I think that is normal.

levyjl1988

Banned
Yes, I’m slowly losing interest. Most games never live up to the hype and expectations. Games these days are nothing but psychological exploitation in order to monetize players. Games aren’t fun any more but feel like chores with dailies and weekly bounties to grind for each season. Miss a season and you miss the reward forever due to fomo.

Modern AAA games really suck. Creative developers are replaced with business people and they fuck up titles, look at Evolve. They were so concerned with preorder bonuses, monetization schemes, season passes, dlc that it gave such a negative reaction that the IP tanked before it got off the ground. Star Wars Battlefront 2 is such an ideal example of this. Apparently no one really learns their lesson and the same is true with Halo Infinite. A Game as a service isn’t living up to the service. It’s fucking horrid and management is shit.

I enjoyed games made in the past where it was designed and created by a small dedicated and talented group. If they felt that something was fun they would create it and play test it within their team. Now everything is outsourced and play tested by external groups, it’s like that game FUSE, it had its creativity sucked out of it.

Honestly business people fucking ruined video games.

V4skunk

Banned
This year, I played horizon Forbidden West, elden ring, hades, and some of my catalog games.
Stop playing "aaa" garbage like HZW etc...
Playing stuff like that burnt me out over a decade ago. Darksouls1 brought me back.
Now I only play FS's Soulsborne and select other games like Binding of Isaac Repentance , aoe4, Stellaris, Project Zomboid, Noita, Factario, Don't Starve, Dune Spice Wars etc....All games with huge depth and/or replayability. I get the odd "aaa" every now and then and I'll probably be getting God of War if I get a ps5 at MSRP.
Itching for a proper RTS like a new C&C game or a proper Dune RTS or something. COH3 is coming soon and no doubt Blizzard are on SC3 or WC4.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
And another one questioning his hobby after Horizon FW. What a trash game.

I‘ve mentioned it in the other thread as well. Games have become too long and too bloated. Some of them work despite that (Elden Ring), most don‘t. AAA games need to become shorter and more creative again. There is no upcoming game I‘m really looking forward to. The first time in my life.

And no, it can‘t just be about getting old when every week such a thread pops up and so many people seem to share the sentiment.

Rickyiez

I wish I have more time for gaming instead . If anything gaming is getting better and better by days , you just need to broaden your search . It's not just about AAA , there are Indies , VR , retros and emulators , all of these are so much more accessible than ever . And I still haven't mention the backlogs yet .

The only reason why you're losing desire is probably not because of gaming itself , it could be some sort of depression kicking in or even midlife crisis . Seek for a psychiatrist instead , not venting in gaming forum . We already have dozens of similar threads like this .

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You could say that about any hobby.

But hobbies are necessary, healthy. Who wants to be a workaholic.

Watching documentaries like OP mentioned can be considered a hobby and I wouldn’t say it’s a waste of time.

Gaming is just that. A way to kill time. Especially if you’re an adult.

DonJorginho

Banned
I followed the advice of Punished Miku Punished Miku and decided to play some old games of great nostalgic value to me, and it's worked somewhat for reinvigorating my spark for games.

I've been reminded as to why I fell in love with the medium in the first place and have been enjoying my time revisiting games from my childhood that at the time seemed so breathtaking of an experience.

Hell I even managed to play a few more hours of Horizon Forbidden West after doing this and I actually enjoyed it which surprised me.

I know it may seem simple on paper, play X old game you loved when younger and you feel young again, but it genuinely worked for me and I'm grateful to the kind P.M for helping me out.

Maybe because we are stuck in the third straight year of very underwhelming release schedules, and every AAA follows the same exact open world formula?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think the problem is AAA games. We put so much emphasis on these huge blockbusters and they rarely really live up to the hype. Are usually some form kf open world game with busy work tasks/ check lists that you tick off inbetween cut scenes. Not really doing it for me anymore.

Plus there's no real news outside of purchases of studios, bad news about studios and bullshit warring.

The great news is I got totally absorbed In Elden Ring and now I'm actually really enjoying gems like.

Tunic was awesome.
13 sentinels on switch...about 20 hours in and its batshit awesome.
Vampire survivors.
Guardians of the galaxy. Awesome game with more heart in its story telling and overall game than 99 percent of triple A games.
Vermintide 2 - Co op with the buds. Can't wait fir the 40k one.
Lego star wars skywalker saga. My light hearted escape.

Basically, there is awesome games and none of them are what the industry thinks we want imo.

I hope to be surprised on June the 12th but we will see. I could really do with a great fable game right about now, but that's probably years away.

Basically, I feel you OP.

Go for a walk, build some lego, watch some films, read some books or comics....find something else than the sess pit twitter "influencer joutnalist" of AAA gaming news, lol.

Chastten

Banned
Is it me, or does having access to alot of content, whether it's gaming or movies makes you lose the desire for these entertainment?

To some extend, sure. I know people who had modded PSX's with hundreds of copied games but the sheer choice of it made them barely play any of it. Same with the NDS and r4 cards. As some other poster has said, even just having extra disposable income makes a lot of difference. These days I can buy 5-6 games a month without a problem. But generally speaking I have no desire to immediatly play those games either. They just go on the shelves and I'll play them whenever I feel like it, be it next week, the next year or not at all. The hype isn't there anymore because getting new games isn't special.

Contrast that to my college days where I'd have to save up for a few weeks or longer in order to buy a new game. I can still remember the days I got Pokémon Red, Paper Mario, Pokémon Snap, getting the N64, GBA, GameCube, Xbox, etc. There was hype, anticipation. I'd look forward to that day for weeks and when it finally arrived it would be all I could think of.

Besides that, you're just getting older. Over the past 20 years I've gone for months or even a few years without games several times. It's just a hobby, you don't need to game all the time.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
This generation is by far the best time to play video games. You get gamepass, and other subscription services giving you games for cheap.

If you are a pc gamer, you get to buy all the old games for cheap, or emulator for other old systems.

Despite that, I dont feel like playing games at all.
I took my break from gaming, did other activities, just so I can have fresh mind to play games again. Still, the same problem.

Same thing happened to me with movies. Having access to tons of movies, lost me the desire to watch movies. And now, I don't watch movies alot. It's being long time, since I actually bothered myself to watching a movie.

All that is left for me now, is just watching documentary stuff.

Is it me, or does having access to alot of content, whether it's gaming or movies makes you lose the desire for these entertainment?
perhaps its gamepass burnout?

mxbison

My desire for gaming is still going strong but there are far less games I get excited for, especially in AAA.

I still play games from time to time, albeit definitely a lot less these days.

I honestly feel like we have a lot less "rockstar" talent and projects that are made these days. Projects that would seem like they were conceived by one person's crazy, uncompromising vision with groundbreaking ambitious concepts (read: not high-end graphics). Those excited me anyway. Much of the modern day gaming landscape just looks "sterile". Lacking any kind of bite, punch or courage in their creation. I skimmed through the PS4 selection the other day and just felt void looking at 85% of the titles. But, hey, that's just me.

Most of it is safe and tried templates from the past. Doesn't help that you got a press that will shoot down anything that tries something truly unique and different, not fulfilling an agenda checklist, or throw a hissyfit about gameplay that requires practice without a seconds hesitation. Those "pros" seem like they can't stand "gitting gud".

During mid-end 7th/8th gen we saw known names depart the AAA space or the industry overall. Sakaguchi, Inafune, Itagaki, Carmack, Okamoto, Dan Houser, Michel Ancell... it just isn't the same anymore. Not to mention numerous creative studios that got shutdown and their talent exiting the biz.

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
I play at times. Had lots of fun with Rogue Legacy 2 and Exhumed, but haven't played since 2 weeks now. I don't force myself into playing.

The great news is I got totally absorbed In Elden Ring and now I'm actually really enjoying gems like.

Tunic was awesome.
13 sentinels on switch...about 20 hours in and its batshit awesome.
Vampire survivors.
Guardians of the galaxy. Awesome game with more heart in its story telling and overall game than 99 percent of triple A games.
Vermintide 2 - Co op with the buds. Can't wait fir the 40k one.
Lego star wars skywalker saga. My light hearted escape.

I'm with you on that.
There's a lot of games that escaped the usual mainstream hype cycle.
Currently I'm playing Planet Zoo and Jurassic World Evolution 2, and it's such a relaxing, joyful experience.
Then you have King Arthur: Knight's Tales, Wildermyth, Little Nightmares 2, Citizen Sleeper, Inscryption, The Forgotten City, Elex 2, just to name a few.

And speaking of 13 Sentinels - I really have to try that one out.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, same at the moment, but I think it's just because I've got tons of much cooler stuff coming up (festivals and gigs) in the summer and I just don't care about being sat behind a screen right now.

kyussman

I haven't gamed for nearly a year now.I cleared my back log last June and couldn't get my hands on a PS5 easily so decided at that point to take a break.Having some distance from gaming this last year has really kind of put me off a lot of modern gaming trends that I didn't really see while I was in the midst of constantly gaming.I'm 49 this year so perhaps I'm just naturally done with gaming but I have to say I don't like all this consolidation going on right now.It feels like gaming is becoming smaller with less chance of exciting new ideas coming forward in the future with just a few big companies owning so many big developers.....and the move into GAAS is also not what I want from gaming(that might be my old age too though,lol).
I'm just waiting for something new to excite me in gaming and I'm not sure where it will come from in the current climate.

Hezekiah

Banned
Watching documentaries like OP mentioned can be considered a hobby and I wouldn’t say it’s a waste of time.

Gaming is just that. A way to kill time. Especially if you’re an adult.
Exactly. It's entirely subjective.

Based on what you've said you don't think watching Tiger King for example is waste of time. Some people would disagree.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Exactly. It's entirely subjective.

Maybe it is. But you have to be insane not to realize that watching Tiger King (I had to Google what it is, lol) or playing Pokemon Blue for 200 hours by yourself is a waste of time.

On the other hand watching a documentary like Cosmos: A Personal Voyage is definitely not a waste of time. It's educational. Or playing Mario Kart 8 with your daughter for 1 hour a week. That's actually a great way to bond with your family.

So maybe I will correct my previous statement: gaming is mostly a waste of time, 99% of time.

BigBooper

Maybe it is. But you have to be insane not to realize that watching Tiger King (I had to Google what it is, lol) or playing Pokemon Blue for 200 hours by yourself is a waste of time.

On the other hand watching a documentary like Cosmos: A Personal Voyage is definitely not a waste of time. It's educational. Or playing Mario Kart 8 with your daughter for 1 hour a week. That's actually a great way to bond with your family.

So maybe I will correct my previous statement: gaming is mostly a waste of time, 99% of time.
You could argue that watching a documentary about something you are not directly involved with or will have any experience with is a "waste of time."

The "waste of time" metric is baseless and argumentative.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You could argue that watching a documentary about something you are not directly involved with or will have any experience with is a "waste of time."

The "waste of time" metric is baseless and argumentative.

Cool, we already decided that it's a subjective thing. I know I'm feeling better about myself when I watch educational content vs. when I'm wasting time playing video games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I followed the advice of Punished Miku Punished Miku and decided to play some old games of great nostalgic value to me, and it's worked somewhat for reinvigorating my spark for games.

I've been reminded as to why I fell in love with the medium in the first place and have been enjoying my time revisiting games from my childhood that at the time seemed so breathtaking of an experience.

Hell I even managed to play a few more hours of Horizon Forbidden West after doing this and I actually enjoyed it which surprised me.

I know it may seem simple on paper, play X old game you loved when younger and you feel young again, but it genuinely worked for me and I'm grateful to the kind P.M for helping me out.
Hey thats awesome man! Im glad it helped. I went through something similar.

Laptop1991

Yes, due to the lack of good new games, although i still play older titles, Dishonored 1 and 2 in the last couple of months and redoing Rage 2 at the moment, but i don't play anywhere near as much as i use to.

Hezekiah

Banned

The point about about Tiger King is that it's a documentary!

And I disagree - if something brings enjoyment to you (and isn't harming you e.g. smoking), it isn't a waste of time. Not everything needs to be work or educational to be beneficial.

Having downtime/recreational activities that you find interesting isn't insane at all imo.

Alpha Male

7SOJDjN.gif

I'm 45 and have been a console gamer my whole life...if anything I am more into gaming than I've ever been.

It's an embarrassment of riches for me when it comes to games, movies and TV shows that I enjoy. I have all 3 consoles plus Game Pass as well as a Vudu account for buying/collecting digital movies and subscriptions for steaming Mandolorian, Stranger Things, Halo, etc..I LOVE it all!

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I'm having a blast with Elden Ring. Finished it twice and am now enjoying it with mods. Same goes for Diablo 2 Resurrected. Mods are life. As for Game Pass, I'm waiting for MS to finally drop their bombs. Maybe next year.

Just_one

something happened to me about 2 years ago when Bloodbourne was on PS+.

that game made me not want to play games for a while, i dont know why but it did. tried elden ring and got the same feeling and i love rogue likes when you die over and over again...

Billbofet

I took a bit of the advice from this thread and ended up purchasing/downloading Rockstar Table Tennis and playing a few rounds (on sale now).
This game came out at the peak of my love for all gaming, and man did it bring back the feels.

Game still holds up incredibly well. Its gameplay is tight as hell, intense, I didn't have to craft anything, no 2-hour tutorial, no minimap, no character creation.
Not that I am against any of that, but it is rare now to jump into a game and just be playing it within minutes.

The advice paid off. Thanks. Looking forward to playing more tonight.

Its kind of funny because I've grown up poor, longing to play the latest games on the latest systems that I read about in the videogame magazines... Todays I make a lot of money I earn more monthly than my parents did yearly I can buy any game or system I want and yet I feel way less desire to play videogames...

I think the reason at least for me is that I dont have friends to play anymore... I used to have a lot of friends that played PC games, but with the age a lot of them changed, some of them become sport boomers, some of them become political militants... I was the only one left really following the game news and upgrading my pc...they couldn't keep up, slowly our conversations started to become more and more boring and everything was political(for them) and so I've decided to left them for good. But unfortunately I was never able to make new friends.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Its kind of funny because I've grown up poor, longing to play the latest games on the latest systems that I read about in the videogame magazines... Todays I make a lot of money I earn more monthly than my parents did yearly I can buy any game or system I want and yet I feel way less desire to play videogames...

I think the reason at least for me is that I dont have friends to play anymore... I used to have a lot of friends that played PC games, but with the age a lot of them changed, some of them become sport boomers, some of them become political militants... I was the only one left really following the game news and upgrading my pc...they couldn't keep up, slowly our conversations started to become more and more boring and everything was political(for them) and so I've decided to left them for good. But unfortunately I was never able to make new friends.

Thankfully you have GAF! Just ask around and you will find plenty of folks to play games with.

Yes, I’m slowly losing interest. Most games never live up to the hype and expectations. Games these days are nothing but psychological exploitation in order to monetize players. Games aren’t fun any more but feel like chores with dailies and weekly bounties to grind for each season. Miss a season and you miss the reward forever due to fomo.

Modern AAA games really suck. Creative developers are replaced with business people and they fuck up titles, look at Evolve. They were so concerned with preorder bonuses, monetization schemes, season passes, dlc that it gave such a negative reaction that the IP tanked before it got off the ground. Star Wars Battlefront 2 is such an ideal example of this. Apparently no one really learns their lesson and the same is true with Halo Infinite. A Game as a service isn’t living up to the service. It’s fucking horrid and management is shit.

I enjoyed games made in the past where it was designed and created by a small dedicated and talented group. If they felt that something was fun they would create it and play test it within their team. Now everything is outsourced and play tested by external groups, it’s like that game FUSE, it had its creativity sucked out of it.

Honestly business people fucking ruined video games.
The irony of this is that these business folks will turn around, take a look at their spreadsheets, note the performance margins, skim a bunch of KPIs and tell you that "you don't know what you're talking about". Their measure of success stems from the positive numbers followed by the dollar bill symbol. Not in originality or creative ingenuity.

But, yeah, they're far more occupied with ensuring their actual clientele (stakeholders) stays satisfied while serving some lip-service to the consumers on the side.

Last edited:

Raven117

I mean. Take a break. I have found I like games alot more when I'm not playing a whole lot.

And if its not something you are still interested in, cool. Go do something else cool and interesting.

Considering gaming is the only TV-based entertainment I enjoy, no. When I do get burnt out, I'm OK taking several month long breaks away from gaming but it's certainly not something I can see myself ever giving up. If I did, I would end up selling my TV too because I don't use it for anthing else. When they come round my family regularly complain that I've never had a TV aerial! My sister always has to pack her kids tablets when they visit.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Stop playing the wrong games, like shooters at 30fps with dual stick controllers with pathetic aim assist(s). Play only the glorious versions of all games, especially those shooters...

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I do notice I've been distancing myself from game "news" or culture for some years now. Everything seems like a commercial or another one in a dozen game. I do feel i miss alot of good stuff that way I guess...

Celcius

°Temp. member
Not at all. I'm on vacation and I'm playing FF14 Endwalker and I'm having one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had!

Top Bottom