• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Arranged Marriage Still a Thing Today in European Countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some background about me and my culture. I am a Russian gorski Jew which in English translates to Mountain Jews. We have our own language (that is different from hebrew) and is also a dying one. I came to the USA when I was 10 and traditional beliefs are obviously quite different here.

In my culture women and men would always sit seperate during synagogue prayers/traditions. Same for dinners if there is a traditional party such as a Bar Mitzvah or anything of that sorts.

Also, if someone died and there is a burial. The women attend to deceased women and men to men. There are a lot of other rules and traditions but I am not gonna bore you because it can get complex.

Then there are arranged marriages. These are usually done through close friends and families and people who grew up together. So there is no real ice breaking, it's a lot easier. People already have same traditional values and believes so a lot of that takes off a lot of pressure of both parties. Unlike in the USA where Social Media has ruined relationships completely imo. There is no true love anymore :/

My cousin had her first kid at age of 16 and was married at age of 17. She now has 3 kids and is a very young looking mom for her age. Both of the older girls are in their late 20s and the boy is in his mid 20s. Also, with how long I've been in the USA for I can easily say that traditional love values and family are much better in European countries.

In the USA, I see so many divorces, custodies, and it's very sad. Either the kids are a bunch of spoiled idiotic brats or the parents are complete careless assholes.

I was always very curious if traditions such as those are still around? I love learning about different cultures and customs.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Mountain Jews

26461fe9-5506-4dea-8683-c711379eef60_1.e41d670fc34edbe90f5adf505de8b4e8.jpeg

I am sorry.

Toolhead1987

Neo Member
Mountain Jew sounds like the name of a Swedish Metal Band or something.
I'm orignally from Germany and arranged Marriages stopped being a thing after WW2 iirc.
Although dowry's were still a thing till the 70s apparently.

Lady Jane

Banned
In the USA, I see so many divorces, custodies, and it's very sad. Either the kids are a bunch of spoiled idiotic brats or the parents are complete careless assholes.

From what I gathered in my personal life, the rate of divorces in Western society are mainly due to the social status of having a wife/husband. People yearn for that and will marry someone that they're not confidently in love with to achieve it, only to learn that happiness is the true goal of life years or even decades later.

I've also noticed a direct correlation between couples who are bad for one another and couples who spend way too much on taking engagement/wedding pictures and parading them on social media. The great couples get married and then lower their social media involvement by 80%.

Last edited:
Is this really a thread where OP argues for the benefits of arranged marriages?
WTF?
Not really arguing? I was simply asking a question and stating my observation with how many years I've lived in this country now. I mean you don't need to participate if you can't add anything to the value or don't have a personal story to share?

Ionian

From what I gathered in my personal life, the rate of divorces in Western society are mainly due to the social status of having a wife/husband. People yearn for that and will marry someone that they're not confidently in love with to achieve it, only to learn that happiness is the true goal of life years or even decades later.

I've also noticed a direct correlation between couples who are bad for one another and couples who spend way too much on taking engagement/wedding pictures and parading itherthem on social media. The great couples get married and then lower their social media involvement by 80%.
The fuck you on about, the western world marries for either money or tax breaks. (love is secondary)

Not really arguing? I was simply asking a question and stating my observation with how many years I've lived in this country now. I mean you don't need to participate if you can't add anything to the value or don't have a personal story to share?

Explain this absolutely insane sh*t then:

Then there are arranged marriages. These are usually done through close friends and families and people who grew up together. So there is no real ice breaking, it's a lot easier. People already have same traditional values and believes so a lot of that takes off a lot of pressure of both parties. Unlike in the USA where Social Media has ruined relationships completely imo.

What in the ever lovin' titty twistin' Christ is wrong with you ? :messenger_unamused:

Last edited:
Explain this absolutely insane sh*t then:

What in the ever lovin' titty twistin' Christ is wrong with you ? :messenger_unamused:

If you don't think Social Media ruined modern day relationships in the USA or even other parts of the world then you must be living under a rock.

Also, not all arranged marriages always workout, but dating is way easier and less stressful because you don't have to hope for the other party to be different in life views and lifestyles. You never really have to go out of your way to meet someone. The man approaches the woman or vice versa without feeling awkard or scared.

Second of all you are coming off very hostile, so please go and educate yourself. Mr. Google will tell you everything if you really want to know. I refuse to educate someone who's been overly aggressive.

On the block list you go, learn to read the room and how to social with people properly instead of throwing a tantrum like someone fucked your mom. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
If you don't think Social Media ruined modern day relationships in the USA or even other parts of the world then you must be living under a rock.

Also, not all arranged marriages always workout, but dating is way easier and less stressful because you don't have to hope for the other party to be different in life views and lifestyles. You never really have to go out of your way to meet someone. The man approaches the woman or vice versa without feeling awkard or scared.

Second of all you are coming off very hostile, so please go and educate yourself. Mr. Google will tell you everything if you really want to know. I refuse to educate someone who's been overly aggressive.

On the block list you go, learn to read the room and how to social with people properly instead of throwing a tantrum like someone fucked your mom. Have a nice day.

You just opened a thread defending arranged marriage and you really expected people not to be critical of this?
F*cking hell, get some help.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Still much a thing in Canada with the immigrant population. Had muslims and a South Korean coworkers being in arranged ones.

Caucasians coworkers, I know three of them with Russian wives.

Last edited:

Azzurri

My dads first marriage was arranged back in the 60s in Italy, lasted all but 6 months and he left for MURICA.

Sakura

Amongst European peoples arranged marriages isn't a thing any more.
Unless you count people who pay for mail order brides.

Zeroing

Banned
Gypsies in Portugal used to do it. But it stopped. They still have their own culture tho.
Other than that example, arranged marriages are done. We Portuguese still have the tradition of the man going to ask permission from the parents of the bride and get their blessing!

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Gypsies in Portugal used to do it. But it stopped. They still have their own culture tho.
Other than that example, arranged marriages are done. We Portuguese still have the tradition of the man going to ask permission from the parents of the bride and get their blessing!
Still a normal thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom