• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Final Fantasy XV good and worth buying like the other big FF releases?

Kumomeme

Like most major characters in XIV, Emet had more than one inspiration, and it's clear that Ardyn is one of the inspirations in Emet's introductory scene. Hence, the developer's desire to avoid more overlap in Shadowbringers proper.

I have to ask: have you actually seen his Stormblood scenes recently, or are you going by memory? I replayed MSQ recently so its fresh on my mind, and his mannerisms are quite different and more theatrical than ShB. He even has a swagger to his walk in Stormblood lol
any source backed this?

sure, Emet could have numerous character inspiration including Ardyn but im just quoted what Natsuko Ishikawa said by herself in interview rather than rely on what i personally 'feels' by rewatching that scene. dont complaint to me, complaint to her why she mention the pirate instead of that guy. if the character is 'clearly' inspired by Ardyn, or 'largely inspired' by him, then she, Naoki Yoshida and Banri Oda would flat out stated that from first place. XIV is FF theme park so it is not wrong for them to mention that. they even didnt shy to blatantly show others numbered series inspiration like FFIV for Endwalker. but nope.. they didnt and yet they firstly mention out of world character like the hero in pirate of carribean instead.

Emet-Selch behaviour in his debut at Stormblood could mean anything at the point which is not necessary only exclusives to Ardyn. we can actually see bit of Jack Sparrow's mannerism in it. so what she said in interview actually make sense. or by that logic someone could say Jack Sparrow inspired by Ardyn instead lol. it just the Jack Sparrow inspiration somehow that lead similliarities between Emet and Ardyn happened and the devs didnt want to change the character much so they try their best to avoid much overlap as possible.

think logically, if they want to avoid overlap then why they need to take out take inspiration straight from Ardyn at first place? ofcourse it would end up overlap. they should choose others character at first place instead lol. but if the characters actually is draw inspiration from other character but somehow end up similliar with the XV antagonist, which is not what they intended at first place then it is makesense that later they want to avoid both character to overlap. atleast thats how i see it. then the statement of:

The idea of Emet Selch drew inspiration from Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean series, with the goal of adding more human elements on top of that.

He also kind of overlaps the image of Ardyn from Final Fantasy XV, which is why we needed to work around it so that the two characters didn’t overlap too much.
more makesense than:

The idea of Emet Selch drew inspiration from Ardyn from the Final Fantasy XV, with the goal of adding more human elements on top of that.

He also kind of overlaps the image of Ardyn from Final Fantasy XV, which is why we needed to work around it so that the two characters didn’t overlap too much.

(like...ofcourse it gonna happen)

dont get me wrong, its not like i dislike Ardyn or anything. he is cool character. just quoted what the devs said by themself. i trust them as the writer and designer since they know what actually happened. sure, both character is similliar but what intrigued me how it came to be, according to the writer itself. fascinating isnt it?

Last edited:
Ardyn issue is that he is so.... monotone in his motive compare to Emet. Ardyn is all about revenge and it get old really quick.. Emet start off a bit crazy with his plan in stormblood of Black Rose, which in turn killing off majority of the peopel in the world in the original time line, but when shadowbringer come along, he turn out a bit different since he noticed you, the player control character to be his old friend Azem, who cause a pretty decent amount of trouble for emet, back in the very old day. He try very hard to win you and your friend over to his side. Ememt also know and say he know he is evil and he is under control of a god per say. Emet have a grand dream of reviving his old race of people, but to do that, all the existing life in the planet must die. And when Emet is finally defeated, all he ask is that you remember his and that they once existed on the planet. He even set up plan to help you in the future in case he is ever killed.

Looking through the thread it seems it leads toward the game being bad, but there are a lot of people that didn't go unnoticed that said it's good either.

I guess if the people saying it's bad list what it does wrong or differently compared to previous big FF favorites I can understand more why so many dislike it.

Looking through the thread it seems it leads toward the game being bad, but there are a lot of people that didn't go unnoticed that said it's good either.

I guess if the people saying it's bad list what it does wrong or differently compared to previous big FF favorites I can understand more why so many dislike it.
I mean people can like it, it is their right. Becuase i have issue when they proclaim it is the best final fantasy ever

it was pretty easy to check for urself, on account of it being on GamePass for awhile...and then Playstation giving it away for PS Plus members.

i dont like jrpgs. I tried it out and thought it was interesting at least. Idk squat about Final Fantasy other than the original game from NES. So i assumed it was gonna be like wizards and warriors etc....but the game starts out and im at a gas station. Worth a try for sure

Zatzuken

It has a pretty bad name online and while the finished game didn't live up to the plans they had i still loved it.

It was daft that i had to watch a movie before i started, but it was ok, what sells it more now is the fact it goes pretty cheap.

OrionNebula

I feel weird for enjoying this game

I mean I understand it doesn’t hold a candle to some old classic FF games, but I find it weirdly enjoyable, still (Royal Edition, otherwise it’s definitely far less enjoyable). And it’s not nostalgia. This FF game is too far removed from old FF classic games for me to enjoy it because of nostalgia

I enjoy it even though I dislike Chapter 13 very much (even the re-worked version), Chapter 12 will all the whinning & bickering, the tons of clear fetch quests that only serves as padding, the messy story (that basically forces you to check out stuff outside of the game if you want to try to make sense of it all), a lot of ‘’average’’ locations & characters, the damn long loading periods, etc...

All in all, I really can’t explain why I do not dislike this game... 🤷🏻

Go_Ly_Dow

I feel like I'm living in cuckoo land when I see people claiming it's one of the best FF or games of the generation.

I'm a massive FF fanboy and was 15's biggest advocate back in the day (M_Night here), this game was trash and one of the worst FFs ever.

Unfinished, poorly told story, awful cutscenes, janky boss fights and lacked any sort of depth.

Mabdia

Now you are just being a dick. Haven't even played the game but are turning it down because yuo read somewhere it was supposedly shit. Grow up.

Am I? Did you see that to have the full experience you have to buy U$20 of DLCs? And you also need to watch a movie before?

Now, about gameplay, I am judging it using VII reboot. As a Hack'n'Slash it sucks. As an action RPG too. Playing it and all I do is basically smash square button.

Last edited:

Synless

Thread motivated me to do a replay with all the royal edition QoL changes that I never got to enjoy.

Haters be damned! Great game.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
8, 10 and 12?
YES

13 and anything released after that?
NO
FFXIV is a great PVE MMORPG with an increasingly good storyline and lore. It's the best FF game these last 10 years, IMHO. But i assume you either never played it or don't like the genre (which is fine of course).

FFXV is a mess, there's some good segment (some dungeons are good) and the very end is OK, but it's a weird pacing with huge hole in the story. Didn't play the DLC though.

Am I? Did you see that to have the full experience you have to buy U$20 of DLCs? And you also need to watch a movie before?

Now, about gameplay, I am judging it using VII reboot. As a Hack'n'Slash it sucks. As an action RPG too. Playing it and all I do is basically smash square button.
As action rpg, it is too sluggish, compare to like Nier Automata, which was release at the same year

Mabdia

As action rpg, it is too sluggish, compare to like Nier Automata, which was release at the same year

Well to me Nier is Hack'n'Slash. But if we put the two together to make any comparison it is too embarrassing to Square Enix. Platinum did an amazing job in Automata.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Yes IMO.
It starts with an unlikeable emo main character but gradually progresses into something really emotional.
It has its flaws in the storytelling with some holes, but those are mostly solved with the DLCs.

The story of final fantasy XV is fantastic, the main problem with the game is that story is never properly told.

That was also a problem with FFXIII, you had to explore stuff outside the game, and in game read datalogs that would unlock as you play that most people never read. People complained about it so much, Square still did it with both sequels anyway.

From the thread it's clear they didn't listen again with Final Fantasy XV and decided to place important parts of the plot outside the game, which now has me thinking twice on buying it.

SkylineRKR

This game is even worse than FFXIII. Its much more janky and the controls are far worse. There is more to to in the XV sandbox but ultimately nothing is really fun. These are the only 2 I never replayed.

Kumomeme

Well put, however I think the story never told is more apt..Afterall some of the best plot lives outside the video game itself.
yep. basically how the story being executed is the main problem. this multi-media approach idea is cool, but it ruined main game.

Last edited:
I thought it was ok, but not something that I will look to pick up again.

I found it quite clunky in places, and don’t get me started on the voice acting. It is so random with their accents, there is no consistency. Some of the fight scenes were pretty cool though and I did enjoy the combat system.

The start was also quite slow. And I hate how Ignus said ‘The Reglia’ (The car’s name). Some of the plot twists at the end where pretty lame as well. Overall, it was ok, cringy in areas, dialogue pretty poor, but good combat.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The ending 1/4 of the game gave me the exact same vibe as the ending chapters of Xenogears, ie “we ran out of money/time, so let’s cut everything and make this a strait shot to the very end and drop everything that was unique and interesting about this game”

15 is a heartbreaking game to me because you can SEE the potential, you can feel their are good ideas here, it’s just completely destroyed by its own unfinished weight.

as another poster said, we can at least be grateful the unfinished gameplay ideas wound up helping make FF7r amazing.

Arsic

Gold Member
It's on gamepass for Xbox and PC.

If you have that option then go that route.

For me personally I enjoyed FF15 a lot and at release saw it as an 8.5/10. The MP DLC bumps it to 9/10 for me as I had a ton of mindless fun with it.

It's a fantastic game that fixed every issue FF13 was hammered on for. It's main issue IMO:

Difficulty wasn't present. Easy game.

A huge chunk of important story is regulated to watching a CG movie prior to the game for maximum enjoyment.

Chapter 13 on release was downright bad. Maximum lore dumps in books and half baked.

Everything else is aces. Keep in mind every FF from 4 to current 15 mainline games I've played and completed with enjoyment. Not a bad game in the bunch, just varying shades of good, great, to amazing.

The Shepard

I thought 15 was pretty good, the road trip vibe at the start is well done and feels unique to that game. The game just feels a little rushed at the end but I enjoyed it and would play it again. I got the platinum. Also the open world looks fantastic, excellent draw distance. They really should get a 4k 60fps patch sorted for next gen consoles.

SkylineRKR

I thought 15 was pretty good, the road trip vibe at the start is well done and feels unique to that game. The game just feels a little rushed at the end but I enjoyed it and would play it again. I got the platinum. Also the open world looks fantastic, excellent draw distance. They really should get a 4k 60fps patch sorted for next gen consoles.

The road trip vibe would've worked better if sidequests weren't so haphazardly placed, and if the story doesn't take you back to the insomnian border straight away, and these mobile phone dudes got to read about an invasion in the newspaper. What invasion? They're like 3 miles from home and nothing ordinary is visible. Its a badly structured game. FFX did the pilgrimage thing better. Even FFXIII at least give some sense of being on the run.

Been a huge Final Fantasy fan for 20 years now. As a reference point:

Required: VI, VII, IX, X
Really Good: I, IV, VIII, X-2, FF: Lightning Returns
Meh: II, III, V, XII, XIII

I would say XV fits in the "really good" section. Go into it knowing it is a different, unfinished product but is a fun adventure. If you enjoyed the calming, cinematic horse rides in RDR2, then you'll love the road trip aspect of this game. You grow to love the characters, and the world is great to look at, but you can see the points where development was rushed. Not the best, but different and great in it's own ways.
How dare you sir.

Vandole

I loved it. I admittedly had a very personal connection to the game though. My early twenties was spent doing a lot of road tripping with friends, and this completely brought me back. Plus I've been playing Final Fantasy since its inception and played most of the games in the series since then, so I was digging all the references from different games as well as driving around with the soundtracks from them.

The last quarter is undoubtedly unfinished and rushed, but I also made that work. I just enjoyed the open world in quests from the first 75% of the game and then when I was about ready to play I just cruised through the rest of the story.

Anyway, it's legitimately one of my favorite games, but it's also a game that I am a little hesitant to recommend to people. However it is pretty much dirt cheap these days so I would say take the plunge.

royox

XV has the best Final Fantasy villain in YEARS and worth to play it for that alone. But, as has been said, it's a deeply flawed game in many other areas. Still better than XIII, though.

Not in a world where Emet-Selch exists.

Also best villain in what? All he does in the Vanilla game is to help Noct at the beginning and OH BIG TWIST IM THE BAD GUY AND I WANT REVENGE ON YOUR FAMILY. That's all what Ardyn was when I played the game.

Of course not gonna waste my time or money on that crap game's DLC or even the royal edition. A crap is still a crap even if you throw some perfume.

linkroi

Honestly, Final Fantasy XV has a LOT of flaws, it's even worst if you did follow the development of the game when it was still called versus XIII.

But... is the game really that bad as a lot of people says ? i would say no, the royal edition today is a good game with a lot of content, flawed ? of course, the game is really weird in a lot of ways and could have been soooooo much better than the final result. But the state of the game now is not that terrible, if you like A-RPG, you could find a real interest in FF XV.

Characters are great, story ok (watch the film King glaives first), the gameplay is not perfect, but i had much fun with it, visually it's just gorgeous, the world is magnificent (really !) and that road trip mood is really well done. Maybe wait for a discount and go for it, i say !

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Ardyn is all about revenge
I don't find Ardyn to be that simple. Even if his primary motivation is given as pretty obvious, his attitude and actions throughout the game certainly gives other impressions.
To me, he looked much more like a tired man searching to somehow end his suffering (and thus, helping the team at several moments), than someone willing to simply get his revenge.

Arsic

Gold Member
I replayed both V and XII this year. V has a great battle system but absolute shit story. XII has a great story but absolute shit battle system. I have fond memories of both, but replaying them wasn't really worth it.

XII is my favorite FF after FFXI.

12s combat is shit ? Wut ? The class system freedom, the varying difficulty of notorious monsters to test your mettle, and I mean it's basically FFXI combat juiced up.

Compared to say ff9 combat , another FF I love, and it's leagues ahead in options and what to test those options on.

Ten_Fold

It starts off pretty good then just slowly gets worse imo. Is it better than 13? I know people will disagree but I’m gonna say it’s worse than 13. The best FF game in terms of story recently is probably 14.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
1. It's a lot of fun, the combat is excellent, and there's tons of side activities
2. It is gorgeous
3. The chemistry between the main characters is great
4. The ending is kind of heart breaking if you read between the lines of the relationships between the main characters and certain character and their father
5. If you have a PS5 the full-blown mega special edition is free so why not?

I say go for it.

teezzy

Banned
I was there for versus XIII, I was there for the bad E3 demos, and I've paid attention to the game, it's expansions, and DLC since it released, but I have never actually brought the game.

The reason is because to me, it looks stupid. I'm not going to sugar coat it. Most gifs, clips, and videos I've skimmed make the open world of FFXV look very boring and barren, the heroes are from a kingdom with the main protagonist being a Prince, but they travel the world in a sports car. Making matters worse you have very dry NPC characters like the lady mechanic who fixes up your car or the farmer, and the combat doesn't look engaging.

But as I said, I never actually played the game, and it has sold a crazy amount of copies making it one of the best selling games in the series, so there is a chance I may be missing something. Is it worth playing like other big FF games like 8, 10, 12, or 13? How's the story, world, and gameplay? Am I wrong with my jumpy assumptions?

Plot is a confusing wreck. Watch the movie first prior to playing. Combat can be fun and it's very pretty overall

Worth buying on sale or pre-owned if you get the PC or Royal edition

Top Bottom