• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gamepass hurting Microsoft showcases?

Gambit2483

They are positioning Gamepass as their make or break.

If they can't consistently release QUALITY titles then it will break them.

StueyDuck

much like everything in life, you can have too much of a good thing.

gamepass and other subscription services like them have too many titles on offer that it is hard to get excited for anything. thus making showcases seem less exciting.

saying INDIE GAME #4029 is gonna be on gamepass. isn't as wild and exciting as it was in the early days.

they'd need to drop the biggest bombshell on the planet like GTA6 on gamepass to get that response.

StueyDuck

Microsoft is filling the service with whatever they can get their hands on. Whenever I browse GP, I see quantity.

They need Quality.
it has truly become a glorified demo subscription for myself, i don't think i've finished a single title that i've started on Gamepass besides the first party games.

cause i'd usually just buy the games i want anyway

Chukhopops

I don't understand NeoGAF's unhealthy infatuation with Gamepass destroying Xbox. I easily get my money's worth out of it, but I suppose it's possible some people don't. The obsession is just... strange.
The best part is people saying MS is betting the house on GP and it’s their only strategy when it’s only 20% of their total revenue.

It’s the cheap ticket to get you into Disneyland basically. And once you’re there you’ll spend extra money (the other 80%).

Ozriel

M$FT
Microsoft is filling the service with whatever they can get their hands on. Whenever I browse GP, I see quantity.

They need Quality.

AFAIK, The bulk of titles they’ve been putting into GP these days have been falling in the 75%+ range. Most of it AA, though.

I suspect you’re conflating ‘AAA’ with ‘quality’.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Perfectly fine huh. Whole slate of games announced 2-4 years ago without a single second of gameplay to be shown still.
It's possible that MS might be waiting for the Activision deal to go through. No games released really= lower market share and hype, which helps MS case to acquire them.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Some of the AAA 1st party games that will eventually come out will be included with Gamepass but $70 on PS5. So I don't think it will hurt MS.

KXVXII9X

it has truly become a glorified demo subscription for myself, i don't think i've finished a single title that i've started on Gamepass besides the first party games.

cause i'd usually just buy the games i want anyway
That is mostly how I use it as well. I'm getting to the point where I really know what I like and will have less need to demo though. I've been really meh about a lot of the experimental games on GP. Made me realize I don't like indies as much as I thought I did unless it is something highly polished like Ori.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't understand NeoGAF's unhealthy infatuation with Gamepass destroying Xbox. I easily get my money's worth out of it, but I suppose it's possible some people don't. The obsession is just... strange.

The finances and success of Xbox is paramount to many GAF posters. It is a topic of great concern to many.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It's usually jealousy when being possessed so much about something you can't get.

Perfectly fine huh. Whole slate of games announced 2-4 years ago without a single second of gameplay to be shown still.
I think he means sales and content wise. First parties aren't the only games that exist and many of the third parties are selling the system well enough. As a Xbox gamer I would love for them to get their first party out but they are doing fine.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Regarding microsofts tweet earlier in the thread, i dont think that anyone believes that indie or aa games are bad, but when you dont have a sufficient amount of triple a games to back those up, it inevitably makes your line up look weaker than the competition.

Microsoft didnt have a single new game to launch their new systems with in 2020, 2021 was a huge improvement but in 2022 we are back to microsoft not having a single triple a game to release besides deathloop, which they couldnt even really advertise until it was already out, where as sony by comparison have put out horizon, gran turismo, the last of us part 1(yes i know its a pretty basic remake), and soon god of war ragnarok.

Right now, its a bad look for ms, no if, ands, or buts, about it. But next year, even if they just manage to get redfall, forza, and starfield out the door, that alone will be a significant improvement, and i think it will instill some more confidence that microsoft can get into a regular release cadence.

Like say next year is just forza, starfield, and redfall, but then 2024 is avowed, hell blade, and maybe even fable? I think that for microsoft if they can get into a rhythm of at least 3 triple a games a year, then things will start looking up. Ill be less down on them for sure.

StueyDuck

Starfield?
i don't know if starfield is going to set the world quite on fire like it would have if it released the many years ago it was announced, i'd like to be pleasantly surprised but the overall response i've seen from non gamers (who have played skyrim) seems to be "meh"

I am personally excited for it but i am not seeing the fervor for it amongst my comrades who aren't as into the gaming scene as myself

Last edited:
With the mount of money MS pulls in each year from stuff other than gaming. xbox is like a hobby to them like how an older dude would pump silly money into their hobby regardless of how others may value it. Gamepass it just an extension to that hobby of theirs.

how it comes across by so many as the main focus of everything Xbox. Services , subscriptions,cloud, controllers, is absolutely fucking boring to me now.

The obvious disregard to gold only members with their offerings is a farce too.

Last edited:

yurinka

Nah, I think Gamepass fits very well MS showcases. It's their main focus now, so must have a big presence on their showcases.

I also prefer conferences more focused on short term stuff showing gameplay than in very long term stuff showing only cg logo teasers. So instead of a promise of how should be a game to be released in 5 or more years, as filler I prefer to see interesting games coming soon to GP.

They made this during all these years when they didn't have enough top tier exclusives/1st party to be released in the short term, but I think that (I know, I said it many years and was wrong) starting next year they'll start having a big amount of top tier releases per year so once that happens they'll be able to focus on it and less on cg teasers of distant games and GP stuff.

Last edited:

Hero_Select

No.

And one of the best things about it (for me) has been the occasional "Hey I kinda wanna play that game" and then I open up Gamepass and it's on it. Most recently with Disney Dreamlight

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I’ve put more connective hours into indie games by far than AAA experiences so I’m fine with it.

I can see where the OP is coming from though in that line of thinking. Don’t think it’s a GamePass problem though.

anthony2690

Banned
I personally felt it enhanced the show.

It shows me why I should keep my subscription & what I can look forward too.

I really enjoyed the games I'll be playing within 12 months format too.

It's great showing exciting new announcements, but the excitement quickly goes when you realise it is years away!

I want to see games I'll be playing in the not so distant future, so I prefer this new format.

Obviously I wouldn't complain if they revealed a new KI though.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Microsoft just showed up to The Game Awards with a fucking gamepass trailer.

The answer is yes.

No Hellblade 2, no Avowed, no Perfect Dark, no Fable. More services. More gamepass. Services services services. Right after their first party price hike announcement - You would think they would come with at least one new gameplay trailer for one of these games.

They are putting too much emphasis on Gamepass, services and "value" and not nearly enough on GAMES. Phil Spendser needs a replacement.

We all can write an essay about how MS self-sabotage over the years.

But don't you feel a little empathy for Phill Spencer?....are you monsters?!.

The answer is yes.

No Hellblade 2, no Avowed, no Perfect Dark, no Fable. More services. More gamepass. Services services services. Right after their first party price hike announcement - You would think they would come with at least one new gameplay trailer for one of these games.

They are putting too much emphasis on Gamepass, services and "value" and not nearly enough on GAMES. Phil Spendser needs a replacement.

eN183mI.gif

Aren't they already developing games you listed?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Like you said, back in the early 360 era Microsoft was all about big AAA games

What? The 360 played a pivotal role in the development of the indie ecosystem, hell microsoft game studios copublished jonathan blow's braid one of the earlier and most influential indie games.

The 360 would move on to host indie fests and events promoting them.

Ozriel

M$FT

The answer is yes.

People like Gamepass. It’s a popular service. They have their own shows for their first party stuff.
But keep working hard to make ‘Spendser’ stick 😂

Its time to show and prove, especially in Hellblade's case.

Why do they need to ‘show and prove’ for Hellblade? And why is the TGA the only opportunity to do that?

How you show up to this ceremony with NOTHING, after the abysmal year you just had, is beyond me

Abysmal? Gaming revenue is up, and people are happily buying xbox consoles.

Software? They’ve already announced their AAA lineup for H1 2023.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Its time to show and prove, especially in Hellblade's case.

How you show up to this ceremony with NOTHING, after the abysmal year you just had, is beyond me
And Hellblade II has been shown at the TGA's twice now, it's weird that they had nothing to show this year

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
People like Gamepass. It’s a popular service. They have their own shows for their first party stuff.
But keep working hard to make ‘Spendser’ stick 😂
I don’t care. Gamepass is a service. Not a game. Show games, not services.
Why do they need to ‘show and prove’ for Hellblade? And why is the TGA the only opportunity to do that?
Because it was announced 3 TGA’s ago now and all we’ve gotten is a fake CG trailer and a 1 minute gameplay demo that didn’t really tell us what to expect in moment to moment gameplay.
Abysmal? Gaming revenue is up, and people are happily buying xbox consoles.
Yes abysmal, what games did they release this year? I’m not the CEO, I don’t care about their profits . As a consumer all that matters is the software. And their effort was abysmal.
Software? They’ve already announced their AAA lineup for H1 2023.
What is it? Starfield?

Last edited:
Because it was announced 3 TGA’s ago now and all we’ve gotten is a fake CG trailer and a 1 minute gameplay demo that didn’t really tell us what to expect in moment to moment gameplay.

It's UE5 game. We recently got our first full fledged UE5 game, that too by Epic itself.

Proper next gen titles are delayed by all developers.

splattered

Was thinking about this last night... Has to just be strategic don't show your cards moment because of the acquisition lawsuit. Sucks that as fans we gotta suffer through the year because of this. Oh well it is what it is.

kevm3

Gamepass is awesome as a product but it seems like Microsoft is using it as a crutch. No new exclusive games? "Hey ya'll, look at game pass!"

samoilaaa

I don’t care. Gamepass is a service. Not a game. Show games, not services.

Yes abysmal, what games did they release this year? I’m not the CEO, I don’t care about their profits . As a consumer all that matters is the software. And their effort was abysmal.

What is it? Starfield?
if starfield will be as succesfull as skyrim people will still say its a shit game just to shit on xbox ( and thats coming from someone that doesnt like skyrim )

Top Bottom