• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores the Best Looking Game Ever?

Is Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores the Best Looking Game Ever?

• Yes

Votes: 125 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 108 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 47 12.4%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 is Still King

Votes: 36 9.5%
  • Cyberpunk 2077 Overdrive Mode FTW

Votes: 60 15.8%
  • Other (Specify in the Comments)

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters

Gambit2483

We’re talking about burning shores right? I’m talking about forbidden west vs burning shores not vs zero dawn - I get how u read it that way tho cus I said “first game”. I meant forbidden west
Ok yes, that's different...😅 I'm glad you weren't seriously saying that about Zero Dawn...but yeah, asides from the clouds it hasn't changed that much from Forbidden West.

Ok yes, that's different...😅 I'm glad you weren't seriously saying that about Zero Dawn...but yeah, asides from the clouds it hasn't changed that much from Forbidden West.
Oh yeah lol it’s way better than zero dawn. I remember when people gave horizon shit for the npc graphics. Forbidden west has some of the best, if not the best npcs I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
FuEKjMaXgAAdDkv

Even twitter compression cant make it look ugly

I've been playing both Cyberpunk in Overdrive RT and Burning Shores, and I think the shadows/reflections/etc. generally make CP2077 look better than Horizon. Horizon's shadows in particular just look like crap.

If/when they release Horizon 2 on PC, I hope they add ray tracing because then the game would truly look incredible.

kingyala

Banned
the best detaied or the best graphics but the best looking is a controversial question.. most developers fail to get that wow pixar factor and i think a few games have ever nailed that

kingyala

Banned

Not VR. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some tomfoolery going on here, but it could be legit. I want to believe.

what makes this game look fake is the animations we currently have never seen any top studios nail the fps animations as realistic as this game, like there are no hitches the whole animation is fluid and thats not something easy to do.. the lighting can be faked by any lighting system even baked photogrammetry can fake this but the animation is just too good to be true

Msamy

I am waiting for digital foundry review for this masterpiece , I think they visit guriella and will give us new informations about graphics technologies that they are used in this dlc

Last edited:

marjo

I haven't played it and it may be a good looking game, but those screenshots in the OP are not impressing me at all. The lighting looks very flat.

StueyDuck

I agree that <newest game> looks better than <game that isn't new> but doesn't look nearly as good as <future game that Hasn't released>

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

I have plenty of problems with HFW, but visuals aren't one of them. It's probably a better looker than Demon Souls, despite having a far more ambitious scope and way more complex systems and simulations. At times, genuinely mind-boggling for a cross-gen title.

Ansphn

When i look at the pictures in the first post it has a slight cartoony look which i think he means with super-saturated.
I thought he meant super bright colors. The DLC toned it down immersively. The full game went overboard especially in the valley with color saturation.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
No. Improvements weren't nearly enough to overthrow RC Rift Apart. I would also place TLOU Pt. 1 ahead of Burning Shores.

Ok so after playing through the entire dlc, I have some adjustments to make to my initial answer.

1. Wow! The environmental density in the burning shores section (foliage in particular) easily eclipses the HFW reveal trailer. Imo this can't be appreciated until you fly around the landscape during the morning and afternoon settings. Admittedly, i didnt do much flying initially. However there is one major caveat to all I am saying here, which leads me to my 2nd point.

2. Burning Shores visuals in its current state is GLITCHY AS F***!!!!! In my initial reply I was upset that streaming did not improve. I now think the vast majority of this pop in crap has more to do with bugs as opposed to streaming or gpu bottlenecks. The current state reminds me of HFW launch performance with all of the bugginess. I am waiting for Guerrilla to come through with a patch to clean this up so I can enjoy properly.

So back to OP question, is it the best looking game ever? Still a no for me, but that's only because there is no definitive answer at this time. With the likes of CP Overdrive, Rift Apart, TLOU Pt 1, these games are one-upping each other in different ways which is great!

Kikorin

I think is impossible to state which game is graphically better, because to me for example is a lot more impressive see an interactive/destructible world like the one in Control than a fancy landscape with flares and super high IQ.

That said, graphically Horizon is for sure one of the most beautiful game ever made, even if I think art style is pretty boring and not that much interesting.

Valonquar

The character models, and clouds, and a many of the textures are top tier for sure, but definately not the best looking game ever. The building interiors and a lot of the climbing sections are a splotchy mess of garbage textures vomited all over a lot of the time. You can only hide so much with purple lighting effects. Apparently the developers just threw rust material all over anything and everything, and then random plants all over the rest.

Last edited:

Elios83

Overall yes. Even on PC the only competition is from Cyberpunk Overdrive but it's not like raytracing can fix the ugly looking characters, bad animations and certainly it can't allow the "from sky to underwater" gameplay Guerrilla is doing.

Last edited:

Crayon

We watched two videos last night. 'norse mythology expert reacts'. Same channel, same expert. One was god of war and one was ac Valhalla. I need to find out if each were running on current gen or last gen. They looked a fucking generation apart. And we know that visual design can tip the general assessment depending on how much you know to look for. How was stomping in that department, too. Even if the acv was running on ps4, gow on ps4 still make it look like shit.

Arguable what on top, rdr2 from years ago or any big Sony game. They are on top when it comes to graphics, at very least.

Cyberpunk has a path tracing mode that brings $1000 cards to their knees so that's a different kind of peek-at-the-future impressive. Without considering how heavy the computation is though, it still doesn't make some new highest eschalon but just joins the top ranks. If you do more heavily weight what's going on under the hood, the it might be considered king.

Always been hard to separate the technical achievement in graphics from the overall visual impact. Best not to take the conversation too seriously.

krumble

Maybe in a screenshot, but running? With object pop in still visible in cases in the distance, foliage catching in the camera all the time, various clipping issues and still using pre-baked and various other lighting shaders/workarounds instead of raytracing or realtime nanite type tech from ue5? Nope
It's a fantastic looking game and a real winner, I've loved all 175 hours so far on my current save file and I've only played the start of burning shores but no, just no

darrylgorn

I would say Cyberpunk by miles.

I don't find anything I've seen about this game remotely appealing though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Guerrilla is a tech/art power house, but it is still missing a touch to elevate its games from great to phenomenal, imo. Plus, I am eager to see them flexing through a proper current gen project, freed from the constraints of the PS4. Possibly around 2026/2027? 🤔

Top Bottom