• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it a good time to buy an Oculust Quest 2?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Hi.

I heard that Quest pro and Quest 3 are coming out soon. They say that the new games that will be released may be specific to those devices. What do you think about this? Should I buy this now? Would ps vr 2 be much better than this?(I don't have a ps5 but I'm asking in terms of estimating the performance of multiplatform games).

I also heard it's 90hz, is that a bad thing?

Finally, what are the best games/apps for it?(I can use Steam and Oculus store). I've heard of Alyx and Beat saber, what else can you recommend?

Thank you.

R6Rider

Gold Member
At this point it's probably better to wait for Quest 3.

Personally I'm going the PSVR2 route day one, but may consider a Quest 3 later on. 90hz is fine, but higher is better. PSVR2 is better than Quest 2 and may or may not have PC connectivity (at least officially).

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
Terrible time, wait for the Quest 3 next year and either get that, or the Quest 2 a likely reduced price.

Edit: No need for sympathy ChoosableOne, I already own one ;)

Last edited:
Probably want to wait on PSVR2 price announcement at the very least. After that, Quest 3 release date is unknown but they're already talking about the price estimates so it's not that far off.

Even if you decide to get a Quest 2, probably wait a month. There were a ton of holiday deals last year with $50 off and gift cards, etc. at most stores. See if there's some holiday sales or wait on the other systems to announce more info.

If you just don't want to wait and want to try VR, it's a solid system that's available now. But more is coming soon that may change your mind.

nah, don't buy any facebook products. you're so much better than that. fuck zuck

if you want a VR headset then go with PSVR/2 or Valve Index. rumors are Valve are working on a new headset. or you could wait for the new Apple headset, if you're a rich boy.

just don't buy FACEBOOK.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Do you plan to play standalone or connected to a PC?
Probably both. If airlink performs well, I'll probably just use Steam.
PSVR/2 or Valve Index
Index has 5x the price of Quest 2 where I live and I don't plan to buy a PS5 so...

I don't mind if newer devices will provide better performance, but if there will be generational exclusivity, it will be a big problem. I'm actually thinking of waiting for Black Friday, but at the same time, I want to play right away:messenger_grinning:

I would also like to get the opinions of those who wear glasses:geek:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
As someone that really enjoys the Quest 2, I’d say it might be a better idea to wait for the Quest 3 at this point. I hope everything is backwards compatible.

Last edited:

Fbh

Nah.
It just got a substantial price increase so it's no longer as good of a deal as it used to be, if nothing else at least wait until we get official price and spects for the quest 3.

PSVR2 is probably going to give you better graphics than the Quest 3 but it's not wireless and if you don't have a Ps5 already it's probably going to be a substantially higher price too. Also you never know how much support Sony will actually give it.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Probably both. If airlink performs well, I'll probably just use Steam.

Index has 5x the price of Quest 2 where I live and I don't plan to buy a PS5 so...

I don't mind if newer devices will provide better performance, but if there will be generational exclusivity, it will be a big problem. I'm actually thinking of waiting for Black Friday, but at the same time, I want to play right away:messenger_grinning:

I would also like to get the opinions of those who wear glasses:geek:
Quest is still probably the best bang for the buck headset for PC gaming. Wireless and pretty easy. Quest 3 and Pro's principle upgrades are going to be focused on mixed reality/color passthrough, and an improved chipset, neither of which have a great deal of value if you're mostly looking to play Steam games.

Also worth considering: Quest Pro controllers will be available separately and will work with Quest 2 for more robust tracking that doesn't require line of sight with the headset's cameras. This addresses one of the main advantages Index has over Quest.

Last edited:

XXL

Oculust
Will Smith Yes GIF by Bad Boys For Life

Griffon

Only get the Quest 2 if you need it right now (like if you plan to use it for cardio). Better if you have a VR capable PC.

Otherwise wait for 3 next year.

Last edited:

MachRc

they used to sell factory refurbished ones on Walmart for $199 for the 64gig, and $250 for the 256gig which were really good buy this time last year(get atleast the 128).
They mistakenly sent me 2 in one big box when I bought my 2nd set for my daughter which I sold to my co worker.

now even the refurbished ones are 100 dollars more.

If you have the smarts to get in on the Dev mode via

and put the device in debug mode, and profit.
Then its always a good buy.

I am sure it will go on sale for the holidays as its a great gift.
You can always buy a cheap used one as well since alot of us who own vr headset can tell you that our headsets just sit there and collect dust.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Quest is still probably the best bang for the buck headset for PC gaming. Wireless and pretty easy. Quest 3 and Pro's principle upgrades are going to be focused on mixed reality/color passthrough, and an improved chipset, neither of which have a great deal of value if you're mostly looking to play Steam games.
I thought the same thing. I will probably use it just for sim racing, and play Beat Saber with airlink time to time. I don't know how much the features such as increased fov(%10?), pancake lenses, more vivid colors, darker blacks, better refresh rate? as in pro will improve my VR experience(if these features ever comes with Quest 3).
You can always buy a cheap used one as well since alot of us who own vr headset can tell you that our headsets just sit there and collect dust.
I thought it would be problematic in terms of hygiene. I've also read that if you factory reset(which I will do if I get an used one) your device, it doesn't work and meta is working to fix that issue.

Romulus

Quest 3 is likely a year away, so keep that in mind, but the Quest 2 is incredibly underpowered.

I'm actually blown away by what they can do with the hardware. Tales of the Galaxy's edge and Red Matter 2 running at 90fps on mobile hardware is just crazy to me. I'm actually more impressed with that than I have been with any console game, considering the hardware size and framerate disparity. Of course there's nothing like PCVR, but that should be the case considering the cost.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I like mine, but I'm gonna say no given that:
  • It's $100 more expensive now than it originally was
  • The Quest 3 will be out next year
  • PSVR2 will also be out next year

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I thought the same thing. I will probably use it just for sim racing, and play Beat Saber with airlink time to time. I don't know how much the features such as increased fov(%10?), pancake lenses, more vivid colors, darker blacks, better refresh rate? as in pro will improve my VR experience(if these features ever comes with Quest 3).
To be honest I think the increased brightness is mostly to account for wearing it without light blockers although obviously better contrast is a boon whatever the reason.

Improvements to FOV and resolution are not nothing but they're relatively small. If Quest 2 and 3 were both on store shelves today, sure, Quest 3 is gonna be better, but I wouldn't wait a year for it, personally.
I thought it would be problematic in terms of hygiene. I've also read that if you factory reset(which I will do if I get an used one) your device, it doesn't work and meta is working to fix that issue.
The facial interface is replaceable. You want to buy one of the fake leather facial interfaces from VR Cover anyway, the default foam it comes with is gross.

Hi.

I heard that Quest pro and Quest 3 are coming out soon. They say that the new games that will be released may be specific to those devices. What do you think about this? Should I buy this now? Would ps vr 2 be much better than this?(I don't have a ps5 but I'm asking in terms of estimating the performance of multiplatform games).

I also heard it's 90hz, is that a bad thing?

Finally, what are the best games/apps for it?(I can use Steam and Oculus store). I've heard of Alyx and Beat saber, what else can you recommend?

Thank you.
Fucking love my Q2, now about to take the Pro plunge baby, just looking for more info to support my confirmation bias 😂😳

RoadHazard

Gold Member

As a Beat Saber machine it's great. The native Quest version is very good, no need for Airlink and the increased input lag you inevitably get with that. It has slightly worse visuals than the PC version I guess, but that really doesn't matter at all in that game. It looks good enough.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You kinda missed the boat by a couple of months. I got a refurb quest 2 judt before the price hike and love it enough that I am upgrading my PC mainly for VR.
Unless the Quest 2 sales are terrible over the holiday period, I don't see the quest 3 releasing until late next year, so the Quest 2 is probably still the best bet at the price point. For sims I know a lot of people go with the Reverb G2 but I like having the flexibility and ease of use of the Quest.
Edit: I wear glasses and it's generally OK with the glasses spacer added. I'd buy custom lenses for the quest but my kids use it all the time as well, so it would be kind of a pain taking them off and on again.

Last edited:

MachRc

They all come with a rubber face guard after the skin issues people had. I bet most of them will have been used with it , and not been soaked wet.

Hygiene wise, Im sure you'll be okay.

Id pick it up for under 200 bucks shipped, used. If you want to dabble in it.

edit:

ALyx requires you hve a good video card on your PC. Its not a stand alone title and meant for headsets that are tethered.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Compared to what? The just released Pico 4 has the exact same chip.
Compared to tethered products, likely upcoming Valve's headset, Quest 3 next year and even Pico. Pico has eye tracking + more FOV and lighter (it's basically a subsidized Quest Pro)

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Es
I'm actually blown away by what they can do with the hardware. Tales of the Galaxy's edge and Red Matter 2 running at 90fps on mobile hardware is just crazy to me. I'm actually more impressed with that than I have been with any console game, considering the hardware size and framerate disparity. Of course there's nothing like PCVR, but that should be the case considering the cost.
it's a give and take. PSVR2 is going to be a game changer, but you'll be tethered to the console. Let's see what Valve has up its sleeves; based on the rumors, it could be big.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Compared to tethered products, likely upcoming Valve's headset, Quest 3 next year and even Pico. Pico has eye tracking + more FOV and lighter (it's basically a subsidized Quest Pro)
But the Quest 2 is tethered if you want it to be either physically or wirelessly. Underpowered is probably the wrong word, it has less tech than some upcoming headsets, but it is as powerful as any consumer grade headset available currently.

Romulus

Es

it's a give and take. PSVR2 is going to be a game changer, but you'll be tethered to the console. Let's see what Valve has up its sleeves; based on the rumors, it could be big.

I agree about PSVR2 is the software is there. I think for a 2-year-old tiny machine, the Quest 2 is very powerful for what it is.

Top Bottom