• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it a "waste" to release new games on 3DS? (Kotaku article by Schreier)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
https://kotaku.com/releasing-cool-new-games-on-3ds-is-such-a-waste-1828135700

As someone that sold my 3DS (and Vita) off well before I got the Switch, I found this a somewhat interesting read (and some decent discussion in the first few comments).

As he notes, a lot of us that no longer own (or game on if they still own) 3DS have probably felt some annoyance at hearing some new game announcement and then being bummed when its "Only for 3DS."

Portable gaming just isn't for me with having some issues with neck and hand pain and aging eyes. A big part of the appeal of Switch to me was the notion of it eventually having essentially the handheld and portable libraries Nintendo had in recent generations all on one machine. That of course hasn't happened yet with games like Samus Returns, the new Warioware, ports of the Mario RPGs, a Luigi's Mansion port coming soon from Nintendo being 3DS only, as well as 3rd party games like Persona Q2 and what not that he mentions.

That's left me at times underwhelmed with Switch, wasting time and money on games I ended up not liking just to have something to play on it (I've stopped that and just accept it will go unused for months at a time here and there) and so on. Thus I kind of agree with his sentiment as it would be nice if those games were coming to Switch either as exclusives or just ports that come to both systems like Captain Toad did recently.

The first (at the time I posted this) comment raised the notion that the huge install base is important for developers. I thought Shreier did a good job of countering that point as follows though:

Just looking at a system’s install base is bad business. It doesn’t matter that 70 million 3DSes are out in the wild if 60 million of them are gathering dust in desks and closets, and the other 10 million are only used for Pokemon. Even if the Switch has only sold a fraction of what the 3DS has sold, what matters most is that Switch owners are actively using their consoles and looking for new games to buy.

Look at what happened with the PS3/PS4 transition. The makers of Dragon Age: Inquisition told me the PS3 and Xbox 360 made up a tiny, tiny fraction of their sales (I forget the exact number but it was 10-20%), despite those systems having far, far bigger install bases than the new-gen PS4 and Xbox One.

While I'd need to see more data, that does seem like a solid argument. There are a lot of 3DS out there, but how many owners are still actively using them and are seeking out new games to buy for them? Compared to the Switch base that seems thirsty as hell and port begs for everything?

I will say there is one major issue here that he failed to address--most of these 3DS development teams are pretty small and have been making 240p, lower budget games. They are going to have to expand and get experienced with making 720p-1080p games that look good on both the Switch screen and big HDTVs. Nintendo came out and said that part of the Wii U software drought was even their big first party studios struggled more than they expected them to with transitioning to HD game development after the Wii. It will be an even tougher hill to climb for these smaller portable only studios to make the transition. Thus we probably just need to be patient and give them time. They have no choice but to adapt, or turn into mobile devs as the days of low power/low resolution handheld gaming consoles is over.

To slightly counter my own argument though, they don't necessarily have to make "console level" graphics to succeed. Just look at Octopath Traveler having shipped 1 million copies already with its 16-bit pixel graphics. If they make great games they'll sell well even if the graphics aren't up to snuff with the best looking Switch games from bigger studios.

Anyway, I found it an interesting read and discussion and I'm curious to see other's thoughts on the 3DS still getting games and when/if Nintendo will transition to having the Switch be it's only platform (excluding mobile of course) and have that unified library that had many of us salivating.

Of course it isn't. Its an established platform with a huge user base and is, in my eyes, Nintendos premier portable console at the moment.

Kotaku are just shrieking for attention.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This has been happening for every console ever.

Oh for sure (see the Dragon Age Inquisition sales stats in the reply of his I quoted).

It's just different this time as it's a platform holder going from having a new handheld and a new console each generation to a single hybrid device that does both. Thus it's not just a matter of the last gen machines still getting some scraps, but a question of when/if they'll truly move on to the hybrid being their only platform.

That raises a lot of questions about what will happen to the former handheld type of games and the studios that made them. Will they ramp up to making full console games? Is there a market for midtier games that don't have that high of production values or have cheap indie games eaten that market? What will happen to the quirky little games like Warioware, Rhythm Heaven and so on?

kunonabi

If they weren't still releasing 3DS games than I wouldnt be buying any Nintendo products so no there is still value in it. Not everyone finds the switch to be a worthwhile purchase. My nephew cant a afford a switch so he still plays plenty of 3DS stuff as well. People have different circumstances and you cant expect them to all be able to jump on 300$ machine just because.

Petrae

This op-ed trash was written for the sole purpose of pissing people off and generating engagement. It’s the gaming press equivalent of a Switch fan screeing on a blog because his favorite game isn’t coming to his console of choice.

Never mind that:

— The 3DS install base is more than 3 times that of the Switch
— The 3DS is still being actively sold at retailers
— It’s not uncommon for publishers to offer overlapping support to older platforms, even with new ones in stores (see also Persona 4)

Seeing this op-ed getting destroyed on social media has been fun, though. When you publish self-absorbed shitty takes, you get shit in return.

EDIT: I’d also add that Schreier’s “gathering dust” assumption when it comes to the 3DS needs receipts. He pulls this number out of his ass and assumes that because he and his circle of friends don’t use theirs anymore, pretty much everyone follows suit. (PROTIP: They don’t.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If they weren't still releasing 3DS games than I wouldnt be buying any Nintendo products so no there is still value in it. Not everyone finds the switch to be a worthwhile purchase. My nephew cant a afford a switch so he still plays plenty of 3DS stuff as well. People have different circumstances and you cant expect them to all be able to jump on 300$ machine just because.

Definitely true. But also, the point wasn't necessarily that the 3DS shouldn't be getting games, but more that maybe it shouldn't be getting exclusives. Why couldn't Samus Returns come to BOTH 3DS and Switch like Captain Toad did, for instance?

That maximizes sales potential as it's available to people like you and your nephew, and also to all those who only have (or only use) the Switch.

iconmaster

Banned
It doesn’t matter that 70 million 3DSes are out in the wild if 60 million of them are gathering dust in desks and closets

I suspect that's not the case yet and Nintendo has enough data to know it. If nothing else, they have the sales data on new 3DS releases.

For whatever reason, 3DS is still trucking along.

Lightsbane

The 3DS is still my go-to handheld console. And unless they release a more portable version of the Switch, it will continue to be.

I honestly think it still has some life in it. It's everywhere in stores. The 2DS, especially.

Petrae

The 3DS is still my go-to handheld console. And unless they release a more portable version of the Switch, it will continue to be.

I honestly think it still has some life in it. It's everywhere in stores. The 2DS, especially.

Bingo. The Switch doesn’t have the ease of portability that the 3DS/2DS have. I can fit a 3DS (even an XL) into my pocket and play anywhere. I need to carry a bag if I decide to bring my Switch anywhere, and I don’t really feel like doing that too often.

The 3DS/2DS platforms are the last pocket gaming options left if Switch doesn’t get smaller— and that makes me sad.

Mr Hyde

I have no problem with there still being games produced for the 3DS, but it would be nice if some of them, if not all of them, would also appear on the Switch. For example, Samus Returns would be a nice addition to the Switch library, I really can´t see why Nintendo wouldn´t want to port that one.

kunonabi

Definitely true. But also, the point wasn't necessarily that the 3DS shouldn't be getting games, but more that maybe it shouldn't be getting exclusives. Why couldn't Samus Returns come to BOTH 3DS and Switch like Captain Toad did, for instance?

That maximizes sales potential as it's available to people like you and your nephew, and also to all those who only have (or only use) the Switch.

Problem is then you get games that don't take proper advantage of the 3DS to accommodate the Switch. As a consumer I'll always takes the better game over a lazier effort that sells more.

Fbh

I don't think releasing games on 3DS is a waste, I asume devs have sales data that shows that 3DS software is still selling.

Personally, I just think they should bring them to Switch Too.
At the risk of just saying the same I was saying in my thread yesterday: The Switch could use more games and I think there's definitely an audience for cheaper, 3DS tier games .
I'd have totally purchased Samus Returns on Switch for $30-40, or the new Pokemon Games. I mean, sure I want Prime 4 and the new big evolution of Pokemon, but if it's going to take 3 years anyway why not give me these other games too?

You don't even have to retouch them very much, lots of 3DS games scale pretty well at higher resolutions. They'd need less addition work than your average cross gen game:

This has been happening for every console ever.

What Ps3 exclusives where released after the launch of the Ps4?
We had cross gen games which I'm fine with, but it's not like MGS5, Dragon Age Inquisition or Battlefield 4 were only on Ps3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Problem is then you get games that don't take proper advantage of the 3DS to accommodate the Switch. As a consumer I'll always takes the better game over a lazier effort that sells more.

That’s a fair point. Some games like Etrian Odyssey are built around having two screens, other games are stylus heavy. Those make sense to leave as 3DS exclusives.

But the ones that don’t make heavy use of the 3DS’ feature could/should get ported. Like Samus Returns as the second screen map/inventory would just be a menu in the Switch version like in all console Metroid and similar type games. While the 3DS version still has them on the second screen.

I loved the 3DS but man, this was me after putting in 70+ hours on Dragon Quest VII for 3DS last year.

giphy.gif

There's very few jrpg games on the 3DS that doesn't have font that hurts my eyes because of the lower resolution. DQVII especially hurt because there's noticeable horizontal lines in the font that makes it hard on your eyes.

Last edited:

Doom85

This. I use my 3DS and Vita as my handhelds for whenever I'm waiting at a restaurant, car workshop, etc. because they can fit into my pocket even with the Vita in its case. That is not true for the Switch (unless you want to go case-less, but I'm not treating my expensive system so carelessly, and even then it's not exactly a comfy fit). The one time I've used my Switch (having owned one since about the beginning of the year) as a portable was a few weeks ago I had to babysit my aunt and uncle's birds for an hour a day while they were on vacation for about 10 days. That's the only time it's left its dock. I'm glad I've got my 3DS and Vita as they are actually more reliable as handhelds.

Although funny story, after playing Kirby Star Allies some, one of the birds actually began whistling Green Greens for a few seconds. So awesome.

A good game is a good game.

Who cares what system it is on?

Nintendo feels like supporting the 3DS makes sense. Having some writer even discuss the possibility that it is a "waste" reeks of entitlement.

Last edited:
Of course it isn't. Its an established platform with a huge user base and is, in my eyes, Nintendos premier portable console at the moment.

Kotaku are just shrieking for attention.
I just bought Captain Toad and Warioware. Both decent games. 3DS is Nintendo's best system right now. I own a Switch but am hesitant to buy games on it because they're expensive and most aren't Switch exclusive.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I just bought Captain Toad and Warioware. Both decent games. 3DS is Nintendo's best system right now. I own a Switch but am hesitant to buy games on it because they're expensive and most aren't Switch exclusive.

Nothing wrong with that. But Captain Toad also came to Switch. Warioware should have/could have too even if just as a download only title. That's more the point of the article. They should keep supporting 3DS, but a lot of the games could/should get Switch ports too for those who moved on or never had a 3DS.

Yagami_Sama

Nintendo plans to support the console until 2019 and beyond so I am not surprised to see games be announced for the platform. A lot of people hate on game, just for no be on Switch, and this is something that the publishers must deal with.

I am still surprised that Luigi's Mansion 1 port for 3DS is not a Switch / 3DS game, like Captain Toad and Sushi Striker.

hecatomb

Banned
I mean you can't carry a switch in your pocket like the 3ds. Switch also can't play DS games like the 3ds can.

Arkage

Banned
It absolutely is a waste to not also port a release to switch. I have a 3DS and switch but can't be bothered to dig my 3ds out and charge it up even though I'm interested in Metroid:SR, FE: Echoes, Hey Pikmin.

TLZ

Banned
Yes. If you insist on 3DS still, at least have a Switch port as well. But Nintendo are just stupid like that.

It's not a waste to people who still like using their 3DS. Personally I think the graphics and screen are so outdated (and arguably were at release of the system) that I can't stomach using it anymore. Hate to agree with Schreier here.

Terce

Only reason I keep the 3DS around is so the wife can play animal crossing. Once that get's brought over to switch then the 3DS is gone

Zannegan

Exclusively? Yeah, probably.

You've got a huge install-base you don't want to ignore, but you also want to build up the user base on your new console. Why not use those small software teams to sustain value on both platforms? All first-party 3DS projects should be "cross-gen" IMO. There's no reason for games like Samus Returns and Ever Oasis to be locked onto 3DS only. Unless you're planning HD remasters (and I doubt those will sell well enough to justify the additional development cost), I don't see the point from a business perspective.

Just give all your 3DS-specced games a funky title so people know what they're buying into graphically, do a quick and dirty port, and throw them up on the eShop. *shrug*

Senhua

It's waste to release 3rd party games exclusively only for one platform (no matter what platform is).

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Waste I don't know, but some games could be on the Switch as well. Metroid II on the 3DS and the definitive version on the Switch? Man, I could buy in a second.

Zog

Banned
As someone that sold my 3DS (and Vita) off well before I got the Switch

See, this is your own fault. The rest of us who didn't trade in our last gen handhelds can still play new 3DS games. Personally, as a handheld I prefer the 3DS to the Switch or the Vita but that's another discussion.

kunonabi

Waste I don't know, but some games could be on the Switch as well. Metroid II on the 3DS and the definitive version on the Switch? Man, I could buy in a second.

The 3ds version would still be the definitive version in that scenario.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm of the mindset that 3DS is a unique system with unique characteristics, dual screens and 3D only being the most obvious ones. Nintendo has every reason to send off the 3DS with a strong tail. It builds confidence in their brand and they're probably making money hand over fist selling that ancient hardware at $150 a pop. I bought my son the Pikachu 2DS for his birthday recently and he's gotten so much use out of it. Imagine being a parent and still seeing games come out for a handheld over 7 years old. Add in the DS backwards compatibility and you have a physical (read: used, bargain-bin, and inexpensive) library of over 2000 titles.

I am a big fan of the system myself and plan to buy at least one more before they eventually leave store shelves. I have over 100 DS games and 50 3DS games.

Hardcore gamers often don't "get" Nintendo and this issue is a good example.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Wanted to add: as lamentable as it might be, there are quite a few games at the end of the any system's life that fall into this same category.

"Why did they release DoDonPachi at the end of the Saturn's life instead of on the Dreamcast? Why didn't they do the same for SF Alpha 3?"
"Why did they release Persona 3 and Persona 4 on the PS2 when the PS3 is perfectly available? And why'd they do the same for God of War 2?"
"Why did they release DKC3 on the SNES instead of the N64? Why wasn't Terranigma released in the West?"

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
He says this, yet he is a big RPG fan. What gives? Did he not play a wonderful 3DS RPG on it lately? Knowing there's consoles collecting dust isn't anything new. The games you want are more than likely selling less than the games you don't want. Let's not forget how many Dragon Quest titles the DS and the 3DS received over the years.

A lot of people who owned the Wii sold it and they never played Zelda or Metroid. Some of them bought Wii Fit or played bowling with friends. Look at how many people selling their Xbox and PlayStation consoles on Craigslist. The thought of a throw away console isn't new. I have seen more kids with a 3DS then I have with a Switch. I've seen one kid with a Switch and his primary focus was on MineCraft.

sotojuan

It's a waste for Westerners, sure. 3DS is still a big market in Japan. These kind of articles need to stop assuming the Japanese gaming market is the same as the Western market.

"Why did they release Persona 3 and Persona 4 on the PS2 when the PS3 is perfectly available?"

Because Persona 3 came out in 2006 and PS2 had a way bigger market than PS3. Not to mention they probably started making it before PS3 was announced. P4 reused a ton of assets from P3 and again, PS2 had the bigger market.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's a waste for Westerners, sure. 3DS is still a big market in Japan. These kind of articles need to stop assuming the Japanese gaming market is the same as the Western market.

Because Persona 3 came out in 2006 and PS2 had a way bigger market than PS3. Not to mention they probably started making it before PS3 was announced. P4 reused a ton of assets from P3 and again, PS2 had the bigger market.
I was in favor of it coming out on the PS2, but these questions were also raised back then is what I am calling to attention.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
See, this is your own fault. The rest of us who didn't trade in our last gen handhelds can still play new 3DS games. Personally, as a handheld I prefer the 3DS to the Switch or the Vita but that's another discussion.

Nah. I wouldn’t play any of these games if I still had my 3DS as I just don’t like gaming on handhelds anymore and barely could stand the lowered 3DS screen in the first place. So I’d be like Schreier and just have it gathering dust and not playing the games anyway.

I’m not annoyed by the games not getting ported or anything, just thought it was an interesting argument and to think about what will happen to those mid-tier titles like Samus Returns, topdown Zeldas etc after they have fully moved on to Switch.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Is this cause of the Persona game? It's cause Atlus are ECONOMICAL. But at this point the 3DS is dead its time to move on.

Iaterain

The 3DS install base is more than 3 times that of the Switch

This is not correct.
There are many models of 3ds.
1. Old 3ds;
2. 3dsXl;
3. 2ds;
4. New 3ds;
5. New 3ds XL;
6. New 2ds;
+ each of this versions has many color variations and special editions.
Most of 3ds consumers own at least two+ 3ds.

Only Nintendo knows how many real 3ds users they have, but it isn' the same as official numbers.
In my personal opinion they have for about 30-40 million 3ds users. Nintendo is just really good at squeezing every single penny from their consumers.

Hudo

This op-ed trash was written for the sole purpose of pissing people off and generating engagement. It’s the gaming press equivalent of a Switch fan screeing on a blog because his favorite game isn’t coming to his console of choice.

Never mind that:

— The 3DS install base is more than 3 times that of the Switch
— The 3DS is still being actively sold at retailers
— It’s not uncommon for publishers to offer overlapping support to older platforms, even with new ones in stores (see also Persona 4)

Seeing this op-ed getting destroyed on social media has been fun, though. When you publish self-absorbed shitty takes, you get shit in return.

EDIT: I’d also add that Schreier’s “gathering dust” assumption when it comes to the 3DS needs receipts. He pulls this number out of his ass and assumes that because he and his circle of friends don’t use theirs anymore, pretty much everyone follows suit. (PROTIP: They don’t.)
Exactly. The 3DS is also still pretty popular in Japan. Incidentally, that's where the 3DS games come from these days. Schreier's opinion-pieces were never his strength. He's better at his investigative pieces about the industry.

Is this cause of the Persona game? It's cause Atlus are ECONOMICAL. But at this point the 3DS is dead its time to move on.

Is the Switch as portable as the 3DS? Not at this point it isn't.

Nintendo still needs a portable gaming system to give competition to mobile. as do the rest of us.

Top Bottom