• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it acceptable that MS is releasing the Xbox Series S/X without a big AAA first party exclusive? Does it set a bad precedent for the industry? Poll!

Is it unacceptable to release a console without a big AAA first party exclusive? Wrong precedent?

• Total voters

sircaw

Banned
15 euro per month vs 80 euro at once for a single game? I know what to choose.

i never buy games at launch, a waste of money in my view, wait a few months down the line and the discounts start, plus i like to keep my games at the end of it.

15 bucks x12 = 180 bucks and at the end of the year, and you own nothing.

I prefer my way, its a lot cheaper than your option and my backlog is enormous, still yet to play days gone, spiderman, new resident evil, last assassins creed, and i can pick them up for dead cheap and they are mine for ever.

after exclusives, brand is second most important thing I think.

I skipped PS3 gen completely, and PS4 didnt have any interesting launch games and launch year were anemic, yet playstation as strongest gaming brand + good experiences from ps1+2 made it 100% easy to choose ps4

Now Xbox s/x is in the situation where they have also almost non-existent exclusives for launch year/launch + they dont have any brand* compared to PlayStation / Nintendo, I would guess it makes choosing them really difficult (to people whom didnt have ps4 or one).

So, because they are always the underdog because of weak and non-popular brand, launch exclusives are way more important to them than to Sony. At least that is my theory.

* talking from european perspective, xbox is almost non-existent here, I dont recall ever seeing xbox ads on tv, yet even Nintendo spams switch ads currently. It is like MS already gave up here. I even asked from many friends have they seen xbox ads, because I werent sure if it is my biased viewpoint, but nobody had seen any in years if ever.

So, exclusives are super important, especially to Xbox as they lack the power of brand Sony + Nintendo have

15 euro per month vs 80 euro at once for a single game? I know what would I choose.

And owning a game...With the exception of some legendary games - that are must buy like Skyrim or GTA - I don't return to old games at all. I doubt a lot of people do either. You can buy them if needed of course (such option still exists)

But dont people always say how good gamepass is because hundreds of old games that they can play? :messenger_savoring: So why do you think it is good to pay for games you dont play?

And it is damn worn out argument to say "15e vs 80e" as nobody forces people to pay 80e, right? So, how do you think it is fair comparision?

you also leave out all games that are not in gamepass, so you have to buy them at 70-80e + pay for gamepass, with same logic.

In reality 15x12 = 180€/year. how many games do you play/year from the gamepass? for 180€ it is easy to buy 5-20 games from sales, more than enough for a year. By being smart I mean, and buying used games for -30% to -60% after some days/weeks from launch or waiting for bigger sales.

or, you can pay 80€ and sell it for 50-70€ after you complete it, if you complete games fast and dont return to them like you.

but in the end comparing gamepass to normal games is just stupid, as there are people whom benefit from GP and then there are people whom benefit from buying games, neither is perfect for all.

Last edited:
OP has the wrong idea. He mistakenly thought that Xbox is being revolutionary in releasing a new console without exclusives.

No, Xbox is NOT setting a bad precedence, because it isn't a precedence at all. Plenty of game consoles in the past had launched with a lack of good 1st party exclusives. Xbox is merely following their footsteps.

So, you might ask, why haven't you heard of these other consoles?

Simple. They are all dead.

180 in a year for a lot of games is nothing. Literally nothing.
I go to the grocery once a week - sometimes more often - and spend up to 150 euro. I am sure 180 is easily affordable for me.

Owning the games is overrated. In fact, people bought the disks/cartridges/whatever in the past because it was the only way to play the game.

Last edited:
i never buy games at launch, a waste of money in my view, wait a few months down the line and the discounts start, plus i like to keep my games at the end of it.

I prefer my way, its a lot cheaper than your option and my backlog is enormous, still yet to play days gone, spiderman, new resident evil, last assassins creed, and i can pick them up for dead cheap and they are mine for ever.

You should tell Netflix. They've built an entire business on this model and your telling them it's a waste of their time. I'm sure they would want your business expertise.

In fact you best tell all of their subscribers that they don't own anything and it's a bad deal. You could potentially save millions of customers from from this scam /s

sircaw

Banned
180 in a year for a lot of games is nothing. Literally nothing. I go to the grocery once a week - sometimes more often - I spend up to 150 euro sometimes. I am sure 180 is easily affordable for me.

that's fantastic, if it works for you and you have the money for it, knock yourself out and go full throttle.

For me, i don't play as much as i used to when i was younger. One game can last me months, having hundreds of games on game pass is meaningless to me, i don't have the time for all of those.

Now Xbox s/x is in the situation where they have also almost non-existent exclusives for launch year/launch + they dont have any brand* compared to PlayStation / Nintendo, I would guess it makes choosing them really difficult (to people whom didnt have ps4 or one).

So, because they are always the underdog because of weak and non-popular brand, launch exclusives are way more important to them than to Sony. At least that is my theory.

* talking from european perspective, xbox is almost non-existent here, I dont recall ever seeing xbox ads on tv, yet even Nintendo spams switch ads currently. It is like MS already gave up here. I even asked from many friends have they seen xbox ads, because I werent sure if it is my biased viewpoint, but nobody had seen any in years if ever.

So, exclusives are super important, especially to Xbox as they lack the power of brand Sony + Nintendo have
Even with the exclusives at launch, they won't sell well - Halo or Forza don't sell in Europe that much. Now with Bethesda it could be a different story but we will see in the future how Xbox will fare.

In fact, I also confused about MS strategy for Europe for now. What can they really do to hit the market? I presume GamePass is the only answer as I doubt Europeans (with the exception of Britain) has been into Xbox from the very beginning. Europe in general is a very conservative market.

sircaw

Banned
You should tell Netflix. They've built an entire business on this model and your telling them it's a waste of their time. I'm sure they would want your business expertise.

In fact you best tell all of their subscribers that they don't own anything and it's a bad deal. You could potentially save millions of customers from from this scam /s

How profitable is game pass atm?
i watch an hour of Netflix every night, 30 hours a month = about 1 game in terms of lengh.

Why would i waste money on gamepass when i only have time to play 1 game a month. I don't need 500 games to play. Not everyone is like you with a million hours to spare.

Gamepass is absolute junk for a person like me.

If exclusives don't matter, then people wouldn't buy Nintendo systems, right? They're least-powerful, but sell like gangbusters. I think the Switch and Wii kinda blowup your argument, because Nintendo sells systems almost exclusively on exclusives. What's the difference between a Playstation and Xbox, besides the exclusives? Why would MS pay $7.5B for Bethesda, if not to bolster their exclusives? I don't think your argument holds any water.
Nintendo is a clear exception to the rule because even if they had nothing else they'd create for their own IPs. PS and Xbox would be nothing without multiplats.

Let's say you're right and exclusives are the most important aspect of a new console, I think many people consider themselves fine not jumping to buy a PS5 for a PS3 remake and Spider-Man DLC that exists on PS4.

Last edited:
But dont people always say how good gamepass is because hundreds of old games that they can play? :messenger_savoring: So why do you think it is good to pay for games you dont play?
Because it is not that expensive. I bought GamePass because maybe there might be a game that I would like to play. Or maybe not. It is very cheap so I don't bother. I pay for internet per month several times more so why should I bother?

And it is damn worn out argument to say "15e vs 80e" as nobody forces people to pay 80e, right? So, how do you think it is fair comparision? you also leave out all games that are not in gamepass, so you have to buy them at 70-80e + pay for gamepass, with same logic. In reality 15x12 = 180€/year. how many games do you play/year from the gamepass? for 180€ it is easy to buy 5-20 games from sales, more than enough for a year. By being smart I mean, and buying used games for -30% to -60% after some days/weeks from launch or waiting for bigger sales.

or, you can pay 80€ and sell it for 50-70€ after you complete it, if you complete games fast and dont return to them like you.

but in the end comparing gamepass to normal games is just stupid, as there are people whom benefit from GP and then there are people whom benefit from buying games, neither is perfect for all.
With GamePass I don't need to be selective regarding the games. I don't need to read reviews, I don't need to watch gameplay videos or anything else, I don't need to read forum discussions about the game to know whether the game is good or not. I can just take a game and play it whenever I want. I don't need to bother with reselling games, walking around or return the game to the shop etc.

P.S. Maybe it is only me, but I have never understood how people in western europe or the USA (I could understand eastern europe for example with salaries like 200$ per month) cannot afford another console over the whole generation (like 5 years for example). They cost less and less each year anyway. And when the people discussed Bethesda's purchase for example, some of them sound like it was the end of the world.

Last edited:
Nintendo isn't in competition with Sony and MS by their own admittance, so I'm not including them. A clear exception to the rule because even if they had nothing else they'd create for their own IPs. PS and Xbox would be nothing without multiplats.

Let's say you're right and exclusives are the most important aspect of a new console, I think many people consider themselves fine not jumping to buy a PS5 for a PS3 remake and Spider-Man DLC that exists on PS4.
You got it backwards. The cart does not go before the horse.

Multiplats are what keeps a console in business, yes. But Mulitiplats would only go on your platform if they think you have enough customers in your walled garden. And 1st party exclusives are what draws in the customers, which then in turn draws in the multiplats.

1st party games -> customers buy console -> 3rd part games show up on console.

You need the 1st part to get the 3rd part. Many past consoles tried to skip 1st party games and they all died.

Maybe you should consider the possibility that every last person who claim exclusives don't matter, are all playing on a game machine that came third in a two horse race this generation. And that perhaps their preferences do not accurately reflect the gaming community as a whole.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
What is really sad (I'm getting an XSX BTW), is that in the last 5 years or so, the only AAA Xbox exclusives have been: the Forza games, Gears 5, Sea of Theives, Crackdown 3, Ori, Recore, Quantum Break and a few indies. That is terrible. Even if they started 4 years ago on SOMETHING, we would see it by now. What have they been doing? Now we only have Halo Infinite for 2021 so far. That is IT from 2016-2021.

You got it backwards. The cart does not go before the horse.

Multiplats are what keeps a console in business, yes. But Mulitiplats would only go on your platform if they think you have enough customers in your walled garden. And 1st party exclusives are what draws in the customers, which then in turn draws in the multiplats.

1st party games -> customers buy console -> 3rd part games show up on console.

You need the 1st part to get the 3rd part. Many past consoles tried to skip 1st party games and they all died.

Maybe you should consider the possibility that every last person who claim exclusives don't matter, are all playing on a game machine that came third in a two horse race this generation. And that perhaps their preferences do not accurately reflect the gaming community as a whole.
Yeah. It is the same old principle, that can be applied to anything. First you build a reputation, then the reputation works for you.

FrankWza

What is really sad (I'm getting an XSX BTW), is that in the last 5 years or so, the only AAA Xbox exclusives have been: the Forza games, Gears 5, Sea of Theives, Crackdown 3, Ori, Recore, Quantum Break and a few indies. That is terrible. Even if they started 4 years ago on SOMETHING, we would see it by now. What have they been doing? Now we only have Halo Infinite for 2021 so far. That is IT from 2016-2021.

When it’s broken down this way, if accurate, I would say that Msoft should be down on their knees to anyone that is continuing to support their consoles. Was this not a concern going into next gen? Were customers not vocal enough? Pretty bleak

When it’s broken down this way, if accurate, I would say that Msoft should be down on their knees to anyone that is continuing to support their consoles. Was this not a concern going into next gen? Were customers not vocal enough? Pretty bleak
The people who still play on Xbox are by definition, devout believers. They would buy the next console no matter what. You can't expect them to be vocal about it because those who were vocal have all left.

The result is that literally everything Xbox PR hands out is exalted as the "best thing ever!". This leads to the equivalent of no feedback at all. if all your fans are happy no matter what you do or say, then you might wrongly assume you are going along the right track. All the way over the sheer cliff called Gamepass.

Tschumi

TLOU 2 is the game of the generation. Of course people are still talking about it, you just did.
The problem with what he said is how certain he is in asserting that cross gen games got talked about most.. when you look at god of war, tlou2, breath of the wild, among many, many others.. it's just goofy to say something like that

The problem with what he said is how certain he is in asserting that cross gen games got talked about most.. when you look at god of war, tlou2, breath of the wild, among many, many others.. it's just goofy to say something like that
It's been goofy for more than a year now. i am just thankful that we only have a few months to go before all the assumptions get washed away by harsh reality and actual sales numbers. Just as at some point, Halo Infinite could no longer pretend it is some nextgen masterpiece that the PR sold it as.

Last edited:
Top Bottom