• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it time for Microsoft and Sony to enter the handheld consoles market?

Should Sony and Microsoft make handhelds consoles?

• Yes, they totally should make handhelds

• No, they shouldn't make handhelds

• Only Microsoft should enter the handheld market, I don't think Sony would be good enough

• Only Sony should enter the handheld market, I don't think Microsoft would be good enough

Results are only viewable after voting.

freefornow

Gold Member
I chose Sony should make one, but not because MS couldnt. I would love a Sony handheld. Imagine a Switch sized Vita with Sony processing grunt (you know they would work their magic with any chip they use). Make it download only. No stupid proprietary game cards.

Oof85

With the Switch monstrous sales, most people using the console just as a handheld (instead of docked);
Today, in tales from the musty crack of your ass apparently....

Nintendo has put out the stats in regards to docked vs portable usage.

It's not mostly used as a handheld.

If that was the case the cheaper Switch-lite would be the far and away most popular model but it's not, in fact it's the least popular, even in Japan, a notoriously mobile society.

It's 50/50 docked vs handheld in terms of time spent.

As for the main conceit of this thread, it'd be an expensive endeavor with very little upside for them at this point.

I'd say somewhat the Psp and definitely Vita both made it clear that Sony isn't equipped to ensure a thriving platform.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
No the next step will to port their runtimes to iOS and android.

iOS is already getting the same chips as their desktops in iPads now. Console games are scalable now.

It’s only a matter of time before we get full on native apps that can run PlayStation and Xbox games on our mobile devices and TVs.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
No trying be a Nintendo fanboy here. So when I say the followings it’s meant as as:

Both of them would only screw it up by trying to make the systems as powerful and consolelike as possible. The games won’t reflect portable play. They should stick to consoles as they got the right balance and have been doing great.

fermcr

Since Microsoft are heavily invested in game streaming and smartphones Candy Crush, why not a handheld that does both...

CobraAB

One could say MS as they push the hell out of Game Pass.

SOny has too much on the plate with PS5 and PSVR2. The PSP did ok. I loved the Vita but of course I was one of the few that thought that judging by the abysmal sales numbers.

Griffon

Too late, the Steam Deck took over, and their software echosystem is 1000 times better than any half-assed portable software Sony ever made.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
There’s no reason. Just put your games on steam and buy a steam deck. Nintendo will take care of the rest.

There's no market to enter. Nintendo got a lightning in the bottle and already had a set handheld audience to build off of, and almost everything that has come out aping the design have all flopped or are no more than very niche devices, maybe eventually the Steam Deck will be the one to get out of that but that's the best that's you can expect and it still probably won't do max more than 6 million.

There's not much market there for a handheld. It would make sense to make a new phone to go after mobile.

Sony got the picture, and released their gaming smartphone not long ago with a dock to allow TV play, https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony...225-4k-hdr-display-16gb-ram-5-000mah.1641343/

Microsoft had put out a couple Android phones but those Surface phones were not much for gaming but primarily productivity. Maybe the Surface Phone 3 when that comes out next year might do a thing. Especially since they are gorwing Xcloud and having their own phone to push it could only help.

odhiex

Yes, but only the handhelds that plays PC games.. exactly like Steam Deck. No need for separate system/architecture.

Sony and Microsoft have committed to release more games on PC. Developers should not be burden by making extra efforts to port all kind of games into a specific handheld architecture, cause the handhelds should run Windows or Linux (SteamOS) with emulator.

Nintendo Switch success is also because of they are no longer rely on 2 ecosystems, console and handheld.

Last edited:

Dr.brain64

You could pretend this is a portable xbox:

cloud-handheld-gallery-1.png

gothmog

Gold Member
I had a vision of a walkman sized portable device that plugs into an AR focused version of the PSVR2. Future retro styling.

light2x

Yes absolutely. It's time to invest heavily into the handheld market. Just look at how great the Switch and Steam Deck are doing.

Only problem is longer development times but that can be alleviated by smaller scale games through game pass like Pentiment.

yurinka

With the Switch monstrous sales, most people using the console just as a handheld (instead of docked); and the big success of the Steam Deck release. It's obvious people like handheld gaming and that there's quite a big market space for it.

As well as how people has already adapted to (and adopted) the console market to having plenty of options (Switch, Switch Lite, Switch Oled, PS5, PS5 Digital, Xbox Series X/S)...

Should the big companies Microsoft and Sony (re)enter the handheld console market?

Please argument your answer.

In my opinion, the Steam Deck has shown how good is to have more options in the market (in this case to the only previous option most gamers had in the handheld space which was just the Switch). And I mean, BIG companies with a BIG foot in the gaming space. Because we know there's plenty of handhelds out there, but the Steam Deck also showed how important is to have a big company backing the hardware product with big support by first and third parties alike.

And yes, I know and I'm addressing the elephant in the room: streaming. I know these companies are pursuing stream gaming. But with the recent news of Xbox Keystone getting canceled and the handhelds success, it just shows how people really like one more over the other. As well as not to say that handhelds ARE awesome streaming devices dedicated to gaming.
Part of the Switch huge success it's because it has no competition in the handheld market. Other part it's because it merged both the home and portable Nintendo consoles in a single device. Part of it comes from being the only portable way to play some 'high end' games.

But this will change with PC handhelds like SteamDeck: they will feature MS and Sony games plus a ton of games that the Switch doesn't have like modern AAA games or emulated games from tons of systems including Switch. And many games will be available on Switch too, but running with lower performance.

The downside of the PC handhelds is that they are too expensive to be mainstream, but I think we'll see in the next few years both Steam Deck and similar going down in pricing while also appearing new ones for Steam Deck like pricing going with more horsepower.

I think this and the rise of cloud gaming and game subs will each a big chunk of Nintendo's handheld market and will mean that Sony and MS won't need their own handheld. Which if it ever exist, very likely will be another PC handheld.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's made sense for about 2 years, especially with mobile hardware running on easy to port AMD graphics with the same architecture as the consoles.
Personally I think they are both crazy not to have a hybrid. Sad really.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sure, if they have a novel idea, and take it really seriously..

The Switch is a lot more popular than the 3DS, so it's not just a matter of going handheld. You gotta bring something relevant to the table. So I dont believe just going handheld is enough.

Solidus_T

Instead of making a handheld, Sony could just partner with Valve for a Steam Deck Playstation edition or something - their games are already being played on Steam Decks.
It's a shame they ditched the Vita. It was one of the dumbest things they've done.

My stance:
Consoles need the full attention of the platform holder in terms of making 1st party game for it, in order to survive. This was not the case in the past when game development was cheaper and faster, but now it is unattainable to try to support two gaming platforms at the same time.

Sony decided to save PS3 and let Vita die. Nintendo decided that the portable market is stronger and just made a big portable. Microsoft is trying to hedge their bets by having console games that can run on portable via streaming.

Note that i am not saying portables are bad. In fact one day we would all be playing on portables, because diminished returns would mean there is only so much graphics power one needs for flat screen gaming. One day a handheld PC console would be "good enough" to run games that majority would bother to play.

At that point, the only reason to own a console that is fixed in place would be for powering VR.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Where are the Vita fans who has been praising the Vita up and down for the past decade?

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I would’ve definitely preferred another handheld from Sony over psvr2. PSP and Vita were both good, just not as good as their contemporaries from Nintendo.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I voted for Sony to make one. Microsoft REALLY needs to focus on their content, and adding a handheld console into the mix is just going to cause more fragmentation that - in my opinion - would damage their output. This has nothing to do with Microsoft not being able to develop a handheld console (although they have never tried, so who knows if they can or not), and everything to do with not stretching themselves too thin and damaging their brand/reputation by trying to have their eggs in too many baskets.

On the other hand, Sony has already tested the handheld market. It knows how to create a handheld console, and they are large enough that they can take some risks and attempt to develop a handheld console that can invade Nintendo's space. Having Sony split their focus on two fronts (one going up against Microsoft, and the other going up against Nintendo) would probably even help all three console makers.

Microsoft would have some room to breath and focus on building up the quality of their studio output since Sony wouldn't be focused solely on Microsoft. Nintendo would need to put a bit more effort into subsequent handhelds since Sony could, and, in this alternate reality where this is happening, likely would, outclass Nintendo in terms of hardware. While that sounds like a downside for Nintendo, it's actually a positive as it keeps Nintendo from becoming stagnant or coasting off of past successes, and there are plenty of people who would be thrilled to see Nintendo increasing the quality of their handheld consoles. Sony would open themselves to a broader market of mobile gamers who still want a handheld device instead of a cell phone.

Holammer

They'll have a difficult time offering a better user experience and freedom over the Steam Deck, but if Sony could make a portable platform capable of running existing PS4 games at 1080p, or MS the equivalent Xbox. Sure, go ahead. There's a niche market.
I would focus on regular consoles because of the high bar set by Deck and its future iterations.

SONY: PS4-spec Xperia phone with PS OS & Android dual-OS boot options, PS+ integration, controller dock with DualSense buttons, triggers, analog sticks and expanded cooling feature (can turn on (when docked) or off (when in portable mode). Able to natively play PS4 games in base PS4 BC mode, preferred platform for Sony mobile games, Remote Play for PS5 game streaming.

Would NOT be its own independent platform; rather think of it as a portable legacy device for PS4 games on-the-go, mobile games and streaming device for PS5 games all in one platform.

You seem to have forgotten Sony released a new Xperia gaming phone at the end of September, there's a thread on it. I think the US price is $1400 or something like that, and includes the dock to connect to the TV.

PS4-spec an/d able to play PS4 games with dual boot with a more advanced dock with more buttons would probably cost almost $3000 or more lol.

Beechos

Microsoft is kinda already in it with xcloud. That is kinda their end goal. Pick up anything with a screen anywhere, login and start playing. There will be a day where games can be played on anything like music and videos.

Justin9mm

I think for Nintendo it makes sense, they are not boasting demanding AAAs with their exclusives although they do need a new handheld, the switch tech is old as fuck.

For Sony and Microsoft it makes more sense to focus on streaming through mobile platform and other devices. Anything they make handheld is only going to be inferior to the console and it's too hard for them to crack the market. I'm pretty sure if they were interested they would have done something by now.

The Steam Deck is a fail imo, people think its a portable PC and far from it, it can't replace other gaming platforms including PC. Handheld tech is limited given the size.

ArtHands

Myriad reasons. The Vita already died on its ass. The Steam Deck exists and Sony are moving more and more of their games to Steam more and more, and Microsoft can verily easily broker a deal in regards to getting Game Pass on there natively (you can already sort of load it on anyway since it's just a portable PC). You can already get Sony and MS exclusives on their consoles and PC, unlike Nintendo where you HAVE to buy a Switch.

Mostly though mobile phone gaming is colossal whether GAF wants to admit it or not and both companies are clearly making a big push to make that part of their business model.

If we see a dedicated handheld from either company in the future I'll do a giveaway for one on GAF. It's a gigantic waste of their time and resources in today's market.

Many console players doesn’t want to fiddle with settings nor associate with anything PC (Steam Deck is still a PC at its core). A Playstation handheld with on par if not better specs than the Steam Deck with twice the battery life will attract at least some of the Playstation fans

I don't trust Sony to put out another handheld since they didn't bother supporting Vita very well from the get-go. Microsoft? Sure, unless they went the Steam Deck path of low battery life, all digital and online dependent.

Zannegan

Now? No. But when you can make an affordable portable Series S+? For Microsoft, at least, it makes sense.

I fully anticipate both big boys will go with mid-gen upgrades instead though.

Orbital2060

With the Switch monstrous sales, most people using the console just as a handheld (instead of docked); and the big success of the Steam Deck release. It's obvious people like handheld gaming and that there's quite a big market space for it.

As well as how people has already adapted to (and adopted) the console market to having plenty of options (Switch, Switch Lite, Switch Oled, PS5, PS5 Digital, Xbox Series X/S)...

Should the big companies Microsoft and Sony (re)enter the handheld console market?

Please argument your answer.

In my opinion, the Steam Deck has shown how good is to have more options in the market (in this case to the only previous option most gamers had in the handheld space which was just the Switch). And I mean, BIG companies with a BIG foot in the gaming space. Because we know there's plenty of handhelds out there, but the Steam Deck also showed how important is to have a big company backing the hardware product with big support by first and third parties alike.

And yes, I know and I'm addressing the elephant in the room: streaming. I know these companies are pursuing stream gaming. But with the recent news of Xbox Keystone getting canceled and the handhelds success, it just shows how people really like one more over the other. As well as not to say that handhelds ARE awesome streaming devices dedicated to gaming.
I dont think dedicated handhelds are necessary. Ive been playing all game pass on my phone (or laptop) this year and its great. I wonder if Sony are gearing up for the same thing; or what their mobile division are working on.

But the future I think is being able to play on any device you want to.

Flatline

Banned
I have no idea why would anyone buy a handheld from these companies and their closed ecosystems that rip you off when you can have a Steam Deck that has all the benefits of a closed ecosystem with none of the drawbacks since it's an open one.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Many console players doesn’t want to fiddle with settings nor associate with anything PC (Steam Deck is still a PC at its core). A Playstation handheld with on par if not better specs than the Steam Deck with twice the battery life will attract at least some of the Playstation fans

You don't have to fiddle with a thing on a deck if you don't want to and unless you specifically boot to the desktop mode, you'll never see that PC interface. Any game with a big green tick is good to go without a single tweak, although people can then get into that stuff if they wish. SteamOS is very much what a Sony or MS handheld would look like. Frankly, PS5s and XBXs are as close to PCs as consoles have ever been anyway.

I also think the settings fiddling thing is far less true than it used to be when you look at Ragnarok. That thing has more settings than most PC games do internally (but again, you can just press next next next and get the inferior experience if you so choose).

Last edited:

Mokus

Yeah, a digital only 5-7nm PS4 portable could work. The store is already there, no need for expensive porting, for new games there is plenty of skilled developers who already knows the hardware.

Chastten

Banned
Just curious, but since everyone here calls the Steam Deck a massive success, are there any sales numbers known?

It has been readily available for a few months now, unlike the PS5/XSX. Outside of the extreme hardcore crowd that always goes wild when new hardware is released, it doesn't seem to be that big of a success to me? And even within that group, it seems that half of the people barely use it. I'm sure it has it's own dedicated niche, but it really shouldn't be used as a measuring point of why anyone should release anything tbh.

But yeah, how much has it sold now? 1-2 million or something? Can't imagine it's much more than that.

Tams

The Switch is really weak, yet it's the most successful of them all.

Why would you think they would be weak? And if so. Why would that be a problem?

Because Nintendo have games like no one else.

No, I don't mean their games are better than everyone else's (though many are damn fine), but they have a plethora of exclusive games to make people want to buy the system.

Nintendo have withstood (not beaten) mobile gaming. They have still carved out a large market despite have the weakest system by far (than even some phones). The Vita? Great handheld, but it didn't have that many games (and the expensive proprietary memory cards didn't help). So that really only leaves the games.

So really, unless someone can cough up at least three franchises that release every 3-5 years for exclusives on their handheld, they just aren't going to get anywhere. Sure, Microsoft and Sony do have the money to burn and see it through, but it would be a risk they clearly aren't interested in taking (and yeah, yeah, Microsoft in particular have burnt far more money on other failed/abandoned projects *cough* Surface RT *cough* Windows Mobile 10 *cough* buying Nokia's devices division *cough* - it doesn't make it a good idea).

Last edited:

DonJimbo

Sony had two entries and its situation was hit and miss
MS should try its chance in the handheld market but with a behemoth as nintendo is in the handheld market there is no success for MS and Sony

sendit

I have a phone, why would I need a dedicated mobile device that does one thing?

Last edited:

ArtHands

You don't have to fiddle with a thing on a deck if you don't want to and unless you specifically boot to the desktop mode, you'll never see that PC interface. Any game with a big green tick is good to go without a single tweak, although people can then get into that stuff if they wish. SteamOS is very much what a Sony or MS handheld would look like. Frankly, PS5s and XBXs are as close to PCs as consoles have ever been anyway.

I also think the settings fiddling thing is far less true than it used to be when you look at Ragnarok. That thing has more settings than most PC games do internally (but again, you can just press next next next and get the inferior experience if you so choose).

True but the console players don’t think that way/don’t know. Also Steam Deck doesn’t have the Playstation brand. The brand is a trustworthy brand among many console fans.

Drew1440

I'd like to see a Microsoft handheld with the power of the original Xbox One. Their Surface hardware is usually pretty good, imagine an Xbox Surface handheld.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
True but the console players don’t think that way/don’t know. Also Steam Deck doesn’t have the Playstation brand. The brand is a trustworthy brand among many console fans.

That brand did absolutely nothing to sell the Vita. The last time Sony made a handheld they completely abandoned it.

All they need to do is put out a Tweet with "God of War is Steam Deck verified!" and that's it, practically $0 in costs and will sell a few extra copies. Repeat for every game they put on PC.

Dedicated Sony/MS handhelds are never, ever happening again, the world has moved on. Sony's already got developers on board making mobile phone games as we speak - because everyone already owns a phone.

Top Bottom