• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is locked 60 fps Elden Ring now possible on Series X?

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I always have read that the best way to play Elden Ring (without VRR) was to play the PS4 version on the PS5. So now that MS has deactivated the mandatory update check when installing games from disc while offline, is it possible to play the XB1 version of Elden Ring on Series X consoles now? I honestly have no use for this as my TV is hdmi 2.1 compliant, but I'm very interested in how a Series X console user could take advantage of bypassing smart delivery.

Edit: This post is only 3 sentences long, and it's really disappointing at the number of people who respond without taking the 15 seconds to read those 3 sentences to completion. Thread is filled with responses such as, "plays great on VRR" "get a TV with VRR" "I played on Series X and it was perfect".

These posts completely miss the point of the questions proposed in the second and third sentence. It's almost as if they didn't read past the first few words before loading up a response.

Last edited:

Banned
I always have read that the best way to play Elden Ring (without VRR) was to play the PS4 version on the PS5. So now that MS has deactivated the mandatory update check when installing games from disc, is it possible to play the XB1 version of Elden Ring on Series X consoles now? I honestly have no use for this ad my TV is hdmi 2.1 complaint, but I'm very interested in how a Series X console user could take advantage of bypassing smart delivery.

the Xbox One version runs worse than the series x version.
Digital Foundry tested it.

the best way to play is still Series X on a VRR screen. especial now that the SX version for patched to have better load times and framerates.

it could be that the patch also improved the One X version to run more stable on SX, but I wouldn't count on it

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
the Xbox One version runs worse than the series x version.
Digital Foundry tested it.

the best way to play is still Series X on a VRR screen. especial now that the SX version for patched to have better load times and framerates.

it could be that the patch also improved the One X version, but I wouldn't count on it
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they test the X1X version of the game on Series X?

Banned
? It's the same disc. It's labeled as a 'both consoles' game like most Xbox games released nowadays are. At least in PAL land.

I don't see how this is relevant to what I said... which is that playing the Xbox One version on a Series X doesn't result in good performance, as the One X version actually runs worse than thr SX version, Digital Foundry tested this

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Series x version is basically on par with the ps5 version now. So either is the best console version to play, but ps4 on ps5 is still the best outside of loading.

anthony2690

Banned
Hey Op, probably not want you hear, but honestly I'd invest in a decent TV with hdmi 2.1 & vrr, especially as you're probably going to be gaming for the next 5/6years on the device, and vrr is honestly a game changer, good bye wonky frame rates, (unless you're ark, god that game feels awful no matter) & goodbye any sort of screen tearing.

Plus you can get a decent TV with these features at a fairly reasonable price now imo.

Also you can view their ratings at rtings.com what is pretty great.

At the time I purchased a Samsung qled q80t what they rated as the second best gaming TV after the lg oled cx (I was worried about oled screen burn in)

Soodanim

I don't see how this is relevant to what I said... which is that playing the Xbox One version on a Series X doesn't result in good performance, as the One X version actually runs worse than thr SX version, Digital Foundry tested this
If he's saying it's the same disc either way, then it's relevant to the topic at hand if certain markets don't even have a choice in the matter. If some markets get combined games and others don't, that's useful to know.

Banned
If he's saying it's the same disc either way, then it's relevant to the topic at hand if certain markets don't even have a choice in the matter. If some markets get combined games and others don't, that's useful to know.

that wasn't at all what is asked...
the topic at hand is "can I play the One version on SX and get a locked 60fps"
and the answer is no

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Hey Op, probably not want you hear, but honestly I'd invest in a decent TV with hdmi 2.1 & vrr, especially as you're probably going to be gaming for the next 5/6years on the device, and vrr is honestly a game changer, good bye wonky frame rates, (unless you're ark, god that game feels awful no matter) & goodbye any sort of screen tearing.

Plus you can get a decent TV with these features at a fairly reasonable price now imo.

Also you can view their ratings at rtings.com what is pretty great.

At the time I purchased a Samsung qled q80t what they rated as the second best gaming TV after the lg oled cx (I was worried about oled screen burn in)
My man, my OP was only three sentences. It pains me that you couldn't bring yourself to read through before responding. I do appreciate the sentiment, as you were just attempting to give advice, but I see this so much now (posting without reading OP).

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
and the answer is no
It's shocking how many people are responding without actually reading the post. I would say almost half of the responses are missing the point.

anthony2690

Banned
My man, my OP was only three sentences. It pains me that you couldn't bring yourself to read through before responding. I do appreciate the sentiment, as you were just attempting to give advice, but I see this so much now (posting without reading OP).
"always have read that the best way to play Elden Ring (without VRR) was to play the PS4 version on the PS5. So now that MS has deactivated the mandatory update check when installing games from disc, is it possible to play the XB1 version of Elden Ring on Series X consoles now?"

I got to here and thought my guy needs a nice new display for his series X & started typing haha :)

Honestly my bad, if only I kept reading literally a few words more :D

Sorry OP! but it still applies to anyone else that has a series X/ps5 and doesn't have a vrr display yet :)

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
"always have read that the best way to play Elden Ring (without VRR) was to play the PS4 version on the PS5. So now that MS has deactivated the mandatory update check when installing games from disc, is it possible to play the XB1 version of Elden Ring on Series X consoles now?"

I got to here and thought my guy needs a nice new display for his series X & started typing haha :)

Honestly my bad, if only I kept reading literally a few words more :D

Sorry OP! but it still applies to anyone else that has a series X/ps5 and doesn't have a vrr display yet :)
All good, as I said, I appreciated the sentiment of the response.

recma12

Maybe I’m a scrub but the native PS5 version (drops and all) seems pretty fantastic to me.

Same here.
Played the whole thing on PS5 and only ran into slower framerates when I was on top of a building and turned the camera around.
0 issues during combat or regular exploration.

EDIT:
I really like DF videos but people just focus on the cliffnotes and take the criticism out of context.
Does it really matter if the game stays at 60.000000fps for 100% of your 120hour run or 99% ?

Sure Elden Ring isn't a "locked fps experience" on XSX and PS5 but it's absolutely fine and I doubt one would even see the difference (if you aren't looking for it, bc you read sth online).

Last edited:

Soodanim

and the answer is no
Yeah that's lovely, but when the topic is running an X1 game on XS and there's information that in at least some territories it's sold as the same product, then it pertains to the discussion. If he's wrong and you can get specific X1 and XS versions, then that's when you get to give the correction instead of trying to shut it down entirely as if he talked about a Nintendo Switch port of NHL2006. How many threads have 100% of replies that are nothing but direct answers to the OP question?

Shifty1897

It truly blows my mind that they haven't patched in a locked 60fps option yet.

The game made hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. Contract the guy who fixed it on Steam Deck for a million bucks and patch it in. The sales from people who are waiting for a proper next gen version of the game like me would make up for it.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
With VRR on XSX you get the best experience. I played it that way and it was genuinely perfect.
I get that, read the entire OP. The scenario proposed is what is possible, performance wise, now that one could theoretically run XB1 versions of games that were previously unavailable due to smart switch.

draliko

It truly blows my mind that they haven't patched in a locked 60fps option yet.

The game made hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. Contract the guy who fixed it on Steam Deck for a million bucks and patch it in. The sales from people who are waiting for a proper next gen version of the game like me would make up for it.
Except forum dwelling nerd rats as us, noone is waiting, normal people just buy and play what they want without watching videos or reading analysis, we are just the minority. Who wanted to play the game already bought it.

Bojji

With VRR on XSX you get the best experience. I played it that way and it was genuinely perfect.

SX version with VRR - the best, next gen graphics and ok frame rate

SX version without VRR- shit performance, same goes for PS5 version

PS4 version on PS5 - near locked 60 fps (aside certain locations), better loading than series x but worse graphics.

Banned
PS4 version on PS5 - near locked 60 fps (aside certain locations), better loading than series x but worse graphics.

that's some grade a nonsense.

the SX version always loaded faster than PS4 on PS5, and it got a patch a few months back that almost brings it in line with the PS5 version. (loads maybe 2 second slower than PS5 now)

Last edited:

Fredrik

Sounds like a project for Digital Foundry. Had no idea you could install og XB1 versions on XSX. Do you choose which version to install like on PS5?

Kilau

Gold Member
When did they disable mandatory update check on disc games? I just tried two days ago and couldn’t start a disc game without the update unless I was offline.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
When did they disable mandatory update check on disc games? I just tried two days ago and couldn’t start a disc game without the update unless I was offline.
That's what I'm referring to. Before the update recently, you could not install these games from disc and play them without going online at least once so the xbox could check the "smart delivery" system for any pertinent updates. This effectively stopped being able to install an XB1 version of a game when there was a Series console enhancement available.

Now, from what I understand, since that check is not mandatory, one can go offline and install from disc to have the XB1 variant of said game on the Series X. This is absolutely a work around that doesn't have much utility, as you must stay offline, but I'm curious as to how some of this XB1 software runs on a Series X.

I brought up Elden Ring specifically because it's known to have dodgy performance on Next gen machines, and many people choose to play the ps4 version on the PS5 for smoother performance. I was wondering if a similiar performance gain would happen if you tried the same scenario on Series X.

Kilau

Gold Member
That's what I'm referring to. Before the update recently, you could not install these games from disc and play them without going online at least once so the xbox could check the "smart delivery" system for any pertinent updates. This effectively stopped being able to install an XB1 version of a game when there was a Series console enhancement available.

Now, from what I understand, since that check is not mandatory, one can go offline and install from disc to have the XB1 variant of said game on the Series X. This is absolutely a work around that doesn't have much utility, as you must stay offline, but I'm curious as to how some of this XB1 software runs on a Series X.

I brought up Elden Ring specifically because it's known to have dodgy performance on Next gen machines, and many people choose to play the ps4 version on the PS5 for smoother performance. I was wondering if a similiar performance gain would happen if you tried the same scenario on Series X.
Ah I see, I didn’t check which version installed from the disc, I just didn’t want to update.

Did you read the OP to completion? It's only 3 sentences. If you did, you would see the "issues" are not the point.

so you want to know if its locked 60fps on xbox series X? im not sure but i think the only way to get it locked 60, is to play the PS4 version on PS5. again, im not sure though.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
so you want to know if its locked 60fps on xbox series X? im not sure but i think the only way to get it locked 60, is to play the PS4 version on PS5. again, im not sure though.
Are you serious? Just read the post. Its 3 sentences. It's about the xbox update and running XB1 games on Series X.

Edit: sorry, i dont mean to be cross. Just frustrating that my discussion point is being overlooked and I'm left reading posts that are irrelevant to my topic.

Last edited:

Bojji

that's some grade a nonsense.

the SX version always loaded faster than PS4 on PS5, and it got a patch a few months back that almost brings it in line with the PS5 version. (loads maybe 2 second slower than PS5 now)

It loaded longer than PS4 code on PS5 (i saw comparisons) but maybe patch changed it, i didn't know about it.

Banned
It loaded longer than PS4 code on PS5 (i saw comparisons) but maybe patch changed it, i didn't know about it.

I would love to see that comparison, because the PS4 version sure as hell never loaded faster on PS5 than the SX version.

Top Bottom