• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Mass Effect: Andromeda worth it on sale?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
tenor.gif

images

#notMyMassEffect

I think because I didn't play a mass effect game before. Coming to it fresh and going crazy on youtube about space after that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This.

It was a bugged game. Has still some frightening faces etc in it, but the atmosphere is still great. But it has at least one big bummer -> the story ends with loose ends and DLCs never came.
It is not the best Mass Effect game, but still quite good.

Yeah forgot to say that I bought it like 1 year later at $20. It was already final patched but has glitches but nothing that breaks it to me. I gave zero fucks for the story actually what I enjoyed are the worlds, exploration, gameplay, and that fucking Helios ASMR music!

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Saw that the game is 6.99 here.
So I was wondering if it really is as bad as people say, and if it is worth that much at least, or a hard avoid...

What does GAF think?

Edit: Talking about the PS4 version / would play it on PS5

Let's put it this way, if you buy it and you don't like it, I'll give you a $10 PSN refund.

Mass Effect Andromeda is one of the most underrated games of last generation.

The game has everything you could ever want. It has a strong female companion who looks like a stereotypical Lesbian but is actually straight. It has another team mate who is a scientist but get this, she's also a Christian! And a lesbian Christian too. Bet you didn't see that coming. And it also has an effeminate gay engineer, because you thought engineering was only for manly men.

And then there's the female Krogan warlord leader who sounds like an angry school teacher. Bet you thought the leader would be a male didn't you bigot?

Multiplayer is decent though.

aries_71

Was it ever explained what happened to the planned DLC? We’re the sale number so bad as to warrant their termination?

Stuart360

Was it ever explained what happened to the planned DLC? We’re the sale number so bad as to warrant their termination?
I dont think sales were bad exactly, it is Mass Effect after all, but i know they were under expectations. I think the main problem was that there was such negativity around the title after launch that EA was just like 'dump it and move on'.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Mass Effect Andromeda is one of the most underrated games of last generation.

The game has everything you could ever want. It has a strong female companion who looks like a stereotypical Lesbian but is actually straight. It has another team mate who is a scientist but get this, she's also a Christian! And a lesbian Christian too. Bet you didn't see that coming. And it also has an effeminate gay engineer, because you thought engineering was only for manly men.

And then there's the female Krogan warlord leader who sounds like an angry school teacher. Bet you thought the leader would be a male didn't you bigot?

Multiplayer is decent though.
Can the Asari chick be lesbian? I have a thing for Asari.

No but in all seriousness has anybody mentioned the cringey dialogue yet.

I remember one particular quest where some woman talked about her teammate having his heart broken before she got shot to pieces. There is some purely tumblr level dialogue mixed in that game at times.

Jokerevo

Banned
I don't think I've ever weighed up the pros and cons of spending 6.99 on anything lol. However the way I look at this is you're paying 6.99 to waste 30 hours plus of your lofe on the worst ME game. I guess if you like ME for story don't got near this but if you're a bit mindless....spend 6.99 on this. I'm sure there are better games for the same price no?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think because I didn't play a mass effect game before. Coming to it fresh and going crazy on youtube about space after that.
Very well, I hope that you are al least planning to buy that collection, to play actually good games : P

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Very well, I hope that you are al least planning to buy that collection, to play actually good games : P

Remakes? Probably. Let me see how they look. If they look next gen and feel old gen like Demon's Souls then it's a pass. I can't stomach old, clunky games.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Remakes? Probably. Let me see how they look. If they look next gen and feel old gen like Demon's Souls then it's a pass. I can't stomach old, clunky games.
I fully agree, I looking forward to those remakes, with caution. However something like RE2MAKE, that was great stuff.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Saw that the game is 6.99 here.
So I was wondering if it really is as bad as people say, and if it is worth that much at least, or a hard avoid...

What does GAF think?

Edit: Talking about the PS4 version / would play it on PS5
yes

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
It is a very ugly game. There is no style. The characters look atrocious. The gameplay is aight, but if you enjoyed Mass Effect for the story, dialogue, etc. it's a skip. 7 bucks can be used for a nice burger. Go get that.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's not a bad game. I've played through it multiple times. It's not as good as the first 3 but it's worth seven bucks IMO.

Yoda

Story and side quests are weak. It has the best combat of all the mass effect games, but if you felt letdown after ME3 from a story telling perspective, it only gets worse w/ME:A.

With the remastered trilogy coming out soon I thought I'd have a run through the OG one last time and really enjoyed the first game but didn't want to jump straight into the second, so went for a new game + in andromeda. Having just finished it I can say that the gameplay is head and shoulders above the first game, the story not as good, the worlds better, and the running animation hilarious when you turn.

Dorohedoro

You also could not be white when the game launched until it was fixed with a patch, and the lead dev manveer heir has a twitter history of bigotry against white people.
CHHpQMs.jpg
Quite the lofty claim considering the default characters are white, come on. There's a couple of white presets and you of course have the option to make yourself white when starting a character from scratch too.

This video with the character creator was posted days before the game even came out, unless they already had this "White People Patch" installed.

Patrick S.

Banned
Quite the lofty claim considering the default characters are white, come on. There's a couple of white presets and you of course have the option to make yourself white when starting a character from scratch too.

This video with the character creator was posted days before the game even came out, unless they already had this "White People Patch" installed.

What a fucking tool, that Mango Hair dude. Pffft.

Kadayi

Banned
I played it to completion. I can't say I had a bad time with it, but it wasn't great and given how ME3 ended, I kind of disliked its reliance on member berries back to the original trilogy, and the story itself had enormous plot holes running through it. Not the least of which large amounts of the enemies in the game are your fellow colonists gone rogue, which given there aren't that many of you kind of makes you the Ghengis Khan of Andromeda given you decimate the gene pool something fierce throughout. On the flipside the combat itself was as good as that in ME3, so YMMV. 7/10 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I thought it was pretty solid. Better than its rep. I think the biggest problem aside from the buggy launch is the Ubi-inspired map fatigue that sets in a few worlds in. You'll see what I mean. I recommend sticking to the main story and just a few side quests that you're generally interested in. There's a lot of collection and other stuff - meh. Don't let that stuff slow u down.

Pallas

Gold Member
It’s not terrible as people make it out to be, the story isn’t that great compare to the trilogy but the gameplay and combat is pretty decent but my only gripe is that the game really didn’t get any closure. I would had love to see the scrap dlc for this game that was suppose to tie up its loose ends.

People are going to be overly dramatic about it.

Anything below $10 is fine with the right expectations. I remember of playing the best of the series from a mechanical standpoint. Everything else is the worst of the franchise.

I got it for a fiver and it was still overpriced.

It's just generally bad. Badly made, badly written, badly acted, badly scripted and a bad experience to play.

If you're a fan of the series, just replay 1, 2 and the Citadel DLC when the remaster comes out. Everything else Mass Effec is shite.

Y

Last edited:

Dorohedoro

You had to trick the system during creation with a few of those ugly ass presets, but it could be done. they DID go back and patch a few more (two I think?) white options though you don't seem to want to discuss in good faith outside of clickbait videos, so have fun with that I guess. I remember there was a disconnect because the hands would still be much darker than the face and the only way I could get a white character was by playing with the default ugly ass Sarah Ryder before they slightly fixed it by removing certain scenes in the game where her face was really borked.
Your tinfoil hat bullshit aside I'm not sure how the video I posted was clickbait.

Fbh

As a game it's not horrible. There's a lot of bloat but the combat is pretty fun and even though the characters look bad at least a lot of the environments looks nice.
As a new Mass Effect entry it's pretty shitty though, the story, world and characters just don't compare. In hindsight it kinda feels like the Star Wars sequels, it's still star wars, it's still the same world, there's still the force and stormtroopers and Jedi....but it's like a shittier version of it all.

m5RrTf6.jpg

Also, the latest teaser seems to indicate this side of the story might get completely abandoned anyway so even on the off chance you like the story and characters you probably won't be getting more of them anytime soon.

Esca

There's a free trial you can play. That's what I'm currently doing to see if I like it, it's 10 hours long. I've put like 2 hours in and so far like it

Last edited:

Neolombax

Its an ok game, especially at a discount. I bought it full priced. The game is clearly inferior to the original trilogy. But the gameplay is fun. Played through the game twice too.

Its a game that got treated the same way CP2077 is being treated (maybe worse). It was the flavor of the week for the hate train. It definitely had problems and deserved criticisms just not the tireless bullshit shouted by the internet drones.

The game play is the best in the series. Regardless how you end up feeling about the characters and story its very much a Mass Effect game so you'll still get your fix from it. Play biotic and absolutely wreck shit and feel like a god.

Short answer, absolutely.
Cyberpunk has a good story, and for the pc version amazing crysis 2.0 level system pusher graphics. Cp2077 has a dedicated pc fan base, the game scored great on pc. The console version is what gets the hate. Also Cp2077 has no woke bs.

Me Andromeda is the last jedi of mass effect. Infected with feminism and intersectional garbage with a racist in the dev team preventing certain skin colors and bad mouthing whole groups on Twitter.

There is no Miranda style hotness to be found (unless you like dudes as they made all them good looking), yet the women look and act like teenagers. It doesn't have the same professional /serious /military vibe, hell it's not even star trek vibe (well maybe goofy ass discovery but I can't comment haven't watched it).

Honestly if the story is shit in a game like this it's a clear pass for me.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's an ugly game, even with the patches, and hearing people say 'Pathfinder' constantly starts to get weird after a while. Story is really dumb, not anywhere near as good as the original trilogy. AI is dumb as hell too, feels worse than the old games.

It's totally playable though and if you need something to play you could do far worse. Just don't go in expecting ME1 & 2 levels of story telling and interesting characters. The story and characters feel like fan fiction.

Vestal

Gold Member
I tried it a month or so ago on my Series X.. Controls feel slugish, and the story itself didn't really pick up in the 6-7hrs I played.
W
hat made ME1 so good was not just the game itself but the setup and the atmosphere the story conveyed. You really got sucked into the game rather quickly, as opposed to here the story feels tacked on to the gameplay which is just blah. Maybe it gets better later on, but honestly the 6-7 hrs I played left a bad taste in my mouth.

No but in all seriousness has anybody mentioned the cringey dialogue yet.

I remember one particular quest where some woman talked about her teammate having his heart broken before she got shot to pieces. There is some purely tumblr level dialogue mixed in that game at times.
They can't because Liam must have pissed them off when he shot them in the face.

Last edited:
Top Bottom