• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Mass Effect: Andromeda worth it on sale?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
YES!

I was an intense hater on this at launch (12 OT playthroughs deep, I'm a fan of Mass Effect), but now after the ash has settled...it's a good game and it's got some interesting lore additions and DOPE combat.

Seriously, the combat is awesome - powers and mobility stomp on the OT combat tbh, the writing can be here or there though.

I just did my first full playthrough (60 hours) and loved every minute: mods help too..if you on PC (there are hundreds to choose from) I recommend the mobility mod, multiplayer powers in SP and the unofficial patch!

Solid 8/10 game that got more hate than it deserved - by the sounds they are linking ME:A and the new ME5 game too...so there's that also.

Im a big fan of the u universe and i enjoyed it. Compared to the trilogy, the story isnt as gripping so thats where it falls flat the most. Lets be honest the game got terrible reviews mainly due to facial glitches at the start.

Thats all ironed out. Graphics look great and gameplay is best yet. Its way more fluid so on that department its a step up. Its a good ME game, just not a great one and you wont remember half the characters. Which is polar opposite of the original.

SkylineRKR

personally I would say no. I bought it at launch and found it to be extremely dull. I put it away after 5-10 ish hours and sold it.

Then I bought it for like 4 bucks or so one day, got into it again but played it for an hour at best before deleting it for good. Its really dull and nothing happens. Get the EA Play trial and try it out.

Arachnid

Unless they pay you, it's not worth it.

Seriously though, the time you'll lose playing that game will make you regret it. Avoid it. If you really need to, look up the story/cutscenes on youtube. Don't lose precious hours of your life running around barren worlds holding Y or triangle.

Last edited:

meech

I just played it free of charge( gamepass), but just for the Microsoft points.After killing 15 enemies, i immediatly deleted it, borefest with cringe dialogue. Couldnt endure it any longer than that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
YES!

I was an intense hater on this at launch (12 OT playthroughs deep, I'm a fan of Mass Effect), but now after the ash has settled...it's a good game and it's got some interesting lore additions and DOPE combat.

Seriously, the combat is awesome - powers and mobility stomp on the OT combat tbh, the writing can be here or there though.

I just did my first full playthrough (60 hours) and loved every minute: mods help too..if you on PC (there are hundreds to choose from) I recommend the mobility mod, multiplayer powers in SP and the unofficial patch!

Solid 8/10 game that got more hate than it deserved - by the sounds they are linking ME:A and the new ME5 game too...so there's that also.

The black hole void and the combination explosions never get old. One of the most satisfying gameplay I've had ever.

royox

Paid 60$ for it when it was released.
Played 120 hours.

Totally worth that price. It's not the shit game most memes say. It had some issues with some facial animations at launch, they were solved on the 2nd week. The game is HUGE, enjoyable, the combat is a pure blast, the story is interesting enought and at least here your choizes matter much more than in ME3.

While the crew is not as good as the Trilogy one, its a new crew that doesn't have the Nostalgia Factor and the Krogan is 100% Wrex tier of good.

Just for the combat gameplay and the graphics is worth a try.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Great writing ended right after the first game...
While I would agree with the main overall story, which was fantastic in the first game that halted a bit in the next 2, the dialogue was still on point throughout the trilogy. And you still had some great stuff, like Leviathan.

Magik85

If you like the series go for it.
Avoid boring side mission fetch quests.
If you focus only on main story and loyality missions its actuly quite enjoyable.

meech

While I would agree with the main overall story, which was fantastic in the first game that halted a bit in the next 2, the dialogue was still on point throughout the trilogy. And you still had some great stuff, like Leviathan.
" Heavy risk,but the prize". You will feel pain, Shepard" I know you feel this".(turning Reapers into a complete joke with those lines)
Hell, the whole Virmire survivor dialogue or making the Council completly braindead. On point, nope.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Its essentially what would happen if Ubisoft tried to make mass effect, not the good Ubisoft team either, but like the janky team that makes Watch Dogs.

Its not the worst game ever made, but it feels like something coming out of a B grade RPG team like Spiders who made Greedfall, If you enjoyed Greedfall you will probably find Andromeda worth playing, its at about the same level.

Last edited:
Visually it's still a very decent game and gameplay is best in series, but the most important part that MADE Mass Effect is not there. [awesome cast]

Its essentially what would happen if Ubisoft tried to make mass effect, not the good Ubisoft team either, but like the janky team that makes Watch Dogs.

Its not the worst game ever made, but it feels like something coming out of a B grade RPG team like Spiders who made Greedfall, If you enjoyed Greedfall you will probably find Andromeda worth playing, its at about the same level.
Hey now. Don't insult Spiders like that. Technomancer and Greedfall are both good games. They have some jank sure but its expected of Euro devs. They remind me of old school kotor era bioware, and that is a good thing. Technomancer was great and got panned for backtracking. I loved it, great rpg systems, with items and skills, and party and factional relationships and choices. Plus story that had a lot twists and betrayals. Greedfall i still need to finish but from what i played it is a great game, again reminds me of old school bioware. Comparing Andromeda to Spiders newest two games is an insult to Spiders, imo.

Bragr

Banned
" Heavy risk,but the prize". You will feel pain, Shepard" I know you feel this".(turning Reapers into a complete joke with those lines)
Hell, the whole Virmire survivor dialogue or making the Council completly braindead. On point, nope.
That's 0.0001% of 2 & 3, you can find equally silly things in the original too.

lucius

Gameplay is better than 3 imo but stick to main missions and squadmate missions, you can customize some interesting guns later on. I started playing it again on PS5 I still like it, I got over 100 hours out of it on Xbox and Playstation, just the story and writing is garbage . ME1/2 are two my all time favorites, I also picked it up cheap and heard such bad things I had not expected much.

meech

That's 0.0001% of 2 & 3, you can find equally silly things in the original too.
Sovereign wasnt a dumb troll.Mass Effect 2 , with Harbinger and the 3 eyed Terminator, turned the Reapers into a bad joke. I couldnt take them seriously as a threat in this game.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Sovereign wasnt a dumb troll.Mass Effect 2 , with Harbinger and the 3 eyed Terminator, turned the Reapers into a bad joke. I couldnt take them seriously as a threat in this game.
Well, to be honest, Sovereign was a talking ship with the voice of a movie villain.

johntown

Banned
Sure it is worth $5-$8. Just make sure you have your expectations in check. The combat has not changed but the story is lackluster and your choices have no real meaning or consequence. As long as you don't expect too much and expect a medicore game it should be fine. There are a handful of good quests/stories in it.

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm shaking my head at you people who are reacting to the 6,99 value proposition of this game as if OP was asking if you would eat a fresh dog turd for a dollar.

Have some perspective, dudes. This game costs less than a Big King Menu that'll give you diarrhea.

It's not the best game in the world, sure, but the hate for it is wayyyy unjustified.

"You're not a pathfinder until you've path-found"

MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA
I like to think that was intentional.

All those saying ME3 had on-point dialogue, you forgot about the worst character to ever exist in a video game...Kai Leng. His presence alone makes ME3 a shit-tier game and Andromeda's writing look like Shakespeare. I mean, he fucking emails you to shit talk.

Also, ME1 revisionism is a sight to behold. ME1 Garrus and Tali were flat and boring as fuck and didn't come into their own until ME2. Kaidan was Carth 2.0 and Ashley was a racist pig. Only Wrex is true. What a stellar squad!

I loved the original trilogy but never played this because of the negativity. Started it recently (Gamepass) and cannot for the life of me figure out what people's problem with it was. Not too far into it so far, but think what I've played has been great. Stupid internet :messenger_tears_of_joy:

royox

I loved the original trilogy but never played this because of the negativity. Started it recently (Gamepass) and cannot for the life of me figure out what people's problem with it was. Not too far into it so far, but think what I've played has been great. Stupid internet :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It became a meme at launch cause it had some bugs with facial animations. Then internet decided the game was trash and too many people just believes what thel rest of the sheep say.

Same with Battlefront 2, you will still see people saying it's a shit game full of micro transactions while it never had and it ended up being an amazing game.

ikbalCO

Saw that the game is 6.99 here.
So I was wondering if it really is as bad as people say, and if it is worth that much at least, or a hard avoid...

What does GAF think?

Edit: Talking about the PS4 version / would play it on PS5
i experienced this exactly. bought it on sale. the answer is a hard NO.

it is not even worth it for free on gamepass/eaplay and i am not being mean.

if you are really craving space adventure, try to catch the outer worlds on sale.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It became a meme at launch cause it had some bugs with facial animations. Then internet decided the game was trash and too many people just believes what thel rest of the sheep say.

Same with Battlefront 2, you will still see people saying it's a shit game full of micro transactions while it never had and it ended up being an amazing game.
Well i said earlier Andromeda's actual gameplay is really good, but there is no getting away from the terrible writing and characters, and bad story. I mean you cant even be Paragon or Renegade.
Its an RPG so thats imortant, at least for me anyway.

royox

Well i said earlier Andromeda's actual gameplay is really good, but there is no getting away from the terrible writing and characters, and bad story. I mean you cant even be Paragon or Renegade.
Its an RPG so thats imortant, at least for me anyway.

I didn't find the writing particularly diferent than Me1-3 and the characters were like on ME2, some good and some terrible (yeah nobody remembers we had people like JACOB on the crew).

Andromeda is a fair 8/10 game. Most of the "horrible things" it has its just memes or people just wanting to hate the game.

EDMIX

I had fun with Andromeda, FWIW. I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as people made it out to be.

Agreed.

Andromeda isn't really that bad. I actually like the game play better then the trilogy. I generally hated the story of the whole series, but I like the concept of the whole ark thing in Andromeda. I like the setting and gameplay of the Mass Effect series and Andromeda is a solid ME title.

I think people simply deeply exaggerate it being bad, like ridiculously. I've seen worse games in a series of titles, Andromeda really isn't as bad as lets say DMC2 lol I enjoy the exploration, the combat, the design of the ship and the overall direction of the game. With a better team and an engine they are comfortable with, I think they can do a great job with the future titles.

I rank them as follows.

Mass Effect 2.
Mass Effect Andromeda
Mass Effect 3.
Mass Effect 1.

Stuart360 Stuart360 " I mean you cant even be Paragon or Renegade." I never really cared about that so much in the original 3 titles. I'm ok with gone if they can't do it right. Not to say I don't want it back, but I only want it if its actually done correctly.

royox royox Agreed. At launch I'd say its was a 7/10, after the patches and performance changes 8/10. Like you, i never really cared for the writing in the other titles and this game to me is written like them enough that I still didn't care for it lol I like enough of the general idea of Mass Effect to buy it, never really gave a fuck about the story in those games as I felt it was always bad.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I downloaded the Demo over night and will try it later today.
From the reviews i saw the gameplay seems solid enough, and if the Story is at least somewhat okay i should get enough out of 7 bucks.
But we will see if my opinion changes after the Demo.

Thanks everyone for your opinions! <3

RAIDEN1

To those who say its better than Mass Effect 3, you are having a laugh!!!! No way in hell was it better than that game...for a start it had more interesting characters, better plot (despite the controversial ending..) some DLC which if I am correct there were, no awful glitches, no enemies once defeated, literally then dropping in from the sky, as if the game is a new version of comix zone..I brought my copy of Andromeda 2nd hand, I had no regret getting even a little money for it when I sold it last-year..I played through it only once, never once tempted to go back....and I don't regret the sale....

Last edited:

meech

I like to think that was intentional.

All those saying ME3 had on-point dialogue, you forgot about the worst character to ever exist in a video game...Kai Leng. His presence alone makes ME3 a shit-tier game and Andromeda's writing look like Shakespeare. I mean, he fucking emails you to shit talk.

Also, ME1 revisionism is a sight to behold. ME1 Garrus and Tali were flat and boring as fuck and didn't come into their own until ME2. Kaidan was Carth 2.0 and Ashley was a racist pig. Only Wrex is true. What a stellar squad!
So, Garrus "development" into a retarded vigilante no matter how Shepard influenced him in the first game and Tali degenerating into a dumb Shepard fangirl instead of a confident adult in the first game, with daddy issues, was an improvement?

Last edited:
Top Bottom