• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Miyazaki’s run since Demon Souls the best 4+ game run for a single game director?

MrA

Banned
The greatest game director who ever lived

peter-moly.jpg
You misspelled human being there

iHaunter

They all have the same formula. There is nothing fundamentally special about these games. Just the same game with a new layer of paint. Combat/bosses/RPG elements virtually identical.

I'm more impressed with Kojima.

Metal Gear Solid 1/2/3/4 all feel like fresh experiences.

In fact, Uncharted 2 is more different to Uncharted 1 than Miyazaki's games are to each other.
In a general sense. But all feel VERY different.

SeraphJan

No. They feel the same.
First of all, I respect your opinion.

But if you look closely, Both Sekiro and Bloodborne are very different from Dark Souls, not only the setting, but the core loop are different.

By the way, I'm a huge Kojima fan as well

Last edited:

TwinB242

Not really a fair comparison as all the games follow a similar template. In fact I was a bit surprised when I booted up Elden Ring and realized that its still using many of the exact same animations from Demon's Souls, which came out 13 years ago...

Knightime_X

Not to downplay his track record but all of those games play the same.
Kind of hard to fail when all you need to do is copy paste and make tweaks with every installment.

I'll be impressed if he's able to do the same with other genres.

Don't get me wrong.
He's good but not Miyamoto good.

Last edited:

Iorveth

Banned
I'd rather have someone keep refining what they are great at than to go from The Witcher 3 to Cyberpunk. It's like MJ playing baseball. Lol
Witcher 1 to 2 to 3 is one of the most impressive feats one studio has ever taken. Going from a game made in a Neverwinter Nights engine to one of the most visually acclaimed 3rd person branching narratives to an open world game which won the second most award in gaming history.

And then to Cyberpunk which is the studio's first game with driving, shooting, first person perspective, sci-fi etc. And then again produced the best looking game of all time and a phenomenal game. Yeah, it's like MJ playing baseball right.

OZ9000

Banned

But if you look closely, Both Sekiro and Bloodborne are very different from Dark Souls, not only the setting, but the core loop are different.

My problem is the basic template is the same. A lot of the move sets/weapons/armor is replicated between the games (except Sekiro - this was more of a departure from their original Souls formula).

Watching review videos, Elden Ring = Open world Dark Souls 3.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There's so many good games many people don't want to talk about the historical assassin creed games, at this moment elden ring is huge.

Yea the whole "they are the same" is like saying kirby and mario the same becuase theyre both playformers. Dark souls 1 and 3 are similar yes. Sekiro is MUCH different and is more akin to tenchu than his other games...bloodborne is similar in style but the game is quite different than dark souls. elden ring open world is the primary character and is also much different.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Snatcher
Metal Gear 2
Policenauts
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3

6 bangers in a row. 1988 to 2004. But yes Miyazaki is incredibly accomplished and will be remembered as one of the GOATS.

Handel

Every artist in every medium has a niche they mastered…that’s not a demerit on talent.
It is when you're comparing the best of the best, and the other top dudes have a more varied profile. Shinji Mikami is a master of horror games, but he has also made good/great games in other genres with God Hand (beat-em up) and Vanquish (TPS).

wOs

Kamiya, Tim Schafer, Miyamoto

Josef Fares is on his way.
Aonuma would've been there but he switched to producing.

BOTW director will probably be in that convo once BOTW 2 releases

I completely agree that Josef Fares is on the way. Can't wait to see what's next.

For me It's between him and Kojima without a doubt. Kojima is probably the more controversial pick these days.

Miyazaki just hasn't really missed in a game he directed after Demon's Souls, six in a roll and they are all absolute hits (I'm ignoring the VR one because I didn't play that and it seem more like an experimental side-project).

As for people criticizing him because his games are too similar, I don't buy it, he came up with his formula and most other studios work mostly on similar games as well, usually in the same genre. There is a plenty of variation between Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro and Elden Ring if you know what you are looking at, at the very least on pair with the difference we see in Uncharted compared to TLoU or GTA compared to Red Dead Redemption, etc.

But Amy Hennig didn't work on The Last of Us 1 and 2.
I think the means Neil Druckmann. He was involved in all of these in big roles.

Last edited:
I came to this thread to smear ointment on the Sakaguchi cause.

Guy was on fire, and not only that: Yes, he was only technically listed as director from FF1 to FF5, but his Producer credit is akin to a Director for any other guy. FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, all feel 100% Sakaguchi creations as is Lost Odyssey and some other mistwalker stuff (he was never listed as director since FFV, in his last game, Fantasian he is still listed as Producer, he clearly isn't). The guy has an amazing midas touch. He should be hired just to supervise shit in the middle of development. Producer in Sakaguchi lingo is Director of the Directors, clearly.

We saw how any game Kitase made without him turned out after all.

He only acts as the regular Producer (and it shows) when he is Executive Producer, like he was in FFVIII and FFX. Inferior games through and through.

So combining Director with Producer his list actually looks like this in order:

Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Parasite Eve
Chocobo's Dungeon 2 (I dunno why)
Final Fantasy IX
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
The Last Story
Fantasian

I left out Terra Battle/Terra Wars.

Last edited:

Goalus

Commander Keen
Wolfenstein 3D
Spear of Destiny
Doom
Doom 2
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3
Doom 3

Pretty impressive, and each of those (with the exception of Spear of Destiny and Doom 2) was a major technological breakthrough.
So I vote for John Carmack.

Top Bottom