• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is my car get syphoned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIGHT-

First off, I rent a house with two roomates who haven't had any problem. But the last couple nights I've been noticing gas loss. The first night, my car went from 26 miles to 7 miles to E. Last night I lost over 60 miles.. I don't see any gas leaks or smell any gas.. Is my gage just getting faulty? Or is someone stealing my gas?

DarkKyo

Sounds like it is pretty possible your gas is get syphoned.

I would maybe think about make a police report.

Or maybe try record the incident.

Dresden

Get some paper and tape that over. Tape alone, it's possible for them to stick it back on. Paper will tear.

I've heard that modern car gas tanks are really hard to siphon the old fashion way.

Maybe you have an older car or the bandit has some device to foot-pump out the gas?

NIGHT-

I should also note that my roomate had a huge glob of spit on his windshield the night before last( he has a locked cap).

I'm thinking about getting a locked cap as well, just afraid of getting my tank drilled.

Edit. I have a 2010 ford focus and it averages about 30

zwerg

Banned
Problem...Gas Lock...Solved!!!

Don't take the time of trying to "catch" them. I'm sure its your roomates. But gas gets stolen all the time. Just take it in your own hands and stop it by buying a lock.

Dresden

I should also note that my roomate had a huge glob of spit on his windshield the night before last( he has a locked cap).

I'm thinking about getting a locked cap as well, just afraid of getting my tank drilled.

They'll just pee on your door instead.

fnmore1

locking gas caps arent always the solution- case in point , when i put one on after noticing gas missing- the fn criminal decided to remove gas from the bottom of the tank..after putting a drill thru it..argg, cost me 400.00 to replace that, no more gas locks for me.

joelseph

locking gas caps arent always the solution- case in point , when i put one on after noticing gas missing- the fn criminal decided to remove gas from the bottom of the tank..after putting a drill thru it..argg, cost me 400.00 to replace that, no more gas locks for me.

Where do you live? That is insane.

GavinGT

Banned
My neighbor syphoned my gas twice in the last month. Then I bought a locking gas cap. I also bought a dummy security camera from Monoprice ($7!). Fucking tweaker neighbor though, it shouldn't have to come to that.

How does one get away with that? Do you have other neighbors nearby? I suppose I'm in a better position than most though, since I live in a cul-de-sac and my neighbors are constantly hanging out in their front yards.

zwerg

Banned

Then that is someone who is a personal enemy. Being mexican and former criminal...I would have just moved on to the next car. Why bother?? It is someone who wants to have a vengeance against you.

Red

Rig it to explode. That way not only do you get them back, but as a bonus you'll make the news. And they will make a movie about your heroism with the theme of fighting greed. And then later when you forget about the explosives and try to get some gas, they'll make a sequel about hubris.

2th

Banned
Then that is someone who is a personal enemy. Being mexican and former criminal...I would have just moved on to the next car. Why bother?? It is someone who wants to have a vengeance against you.

Mexican AND a former criminal? The avatar makes so much sense.

Rig it to explode. That way not only do you get them back, but as a bonus you'll make the news. And they will make a movie about your heroism with the theme of fighting greed. And then later when you forget about the explosives and try to get some gas, they'll make a sequel about hubris.

sewer.gif

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So from this thread I understand that locked fuel caps are not usual in the US? Here is France I've never seen a car without one since at least 20 years, to be opened using the car key.

I'm sorry but that's hilarious.

Malik77

Neo Member
This happens all the time at the overnight train lots in Chicago. Your lucky if they only want your gas and don't cut your Catalytic Converter off while they are at it.

GavinGT

Banned
So from this thread I understand that locked fuel caps are not usual in the US? Here is France I've never seen a car without one since at least 20 years, to be opened using the car key.

Yeah, it's usually something you have to buy separately, if you feel the need to do so.

Barrett2

Sounds likely. I'd set up some way to detect it, like others have mentioned, some kind of tape mechanism.

Is this advice get helpful?
Im' sorry

Put a gun facing outward and rig it to shoot if someone opens your gas flap without disabling it.

There's actually some hilarious cases of this kind of thing you read about in law school.

zwerg

Banned

It depends on what year your car was made. Like what RevDM said...a lot of newer cars have either cap locks or a prevention system.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Don't do the same as I did and assume the loss is due to syphoning when it may be a leak in the fuel system.

After getting a locking cap I still had overnight loss of fuel, coincidently I needed some work done under the hood too and took it to the garage, apparently when they started it up the fuel vapours from the leak trapped under the hood exploded, causing a full evacuation of the garage and significant damage to my car. The garage was so pissed they refused to work on it and made me tow it elsewhere to get fixed. I ended up writing it off and scrapped it.

A very costly error that could have been worse should someone have got hurt. I was told afterwards I'd been driving a ticking timebomb and was lucky to be alive.

The garage still won't work on my cars, 8 years later :p

Barrett2

How do they tend to turn out?

People getting shot, and the person who set up the device going to jail.

In one case a dude owned a remote cabin in the woods, set a shotgun to blast anyone walking in the door. Someone pryed open the door, got shot, owner went to jail for a long time.

Subprime

Sounds likely. I'd set up some way to detect it, like others have mentioned, some kind of tape mechanism.

Is this advice get helpful?
Im' sorry

There's actually some hilarious cases of this kind of thing you read about in law school

More.

zwerg

Banned
Don't do the same as I did and assume the loss is due to syphoning when it may be a leak in the fuel system.

After getting a locking cap I still had overnight loss of fuel, coincidently I needed some work done under the hood too and took it to the garage, apparently when they started it up the fuel vapours from the leak trapped under the hood exploded, causing a full evacuation of the garage and significant damage to my car. The garage was so pissed they refused to work on it and made me tow it elsewhere to get fixed. I ended up writing it off and scrapped it.

A very costly error that could have been worse should someone have got hurt. I was told afterwards I'd been driving a ticking timebomb and was lucky to be alive.

The garage still won't work on my cars, 8 years later :p

After the autopsy, did they figure out where the problem was?? Oh and what year and make was your car.

Koomaster

Just get a motion sensitive flood light and train it on your car. Usually drives off the roaches who want to touch it.

mingus

You could also smear your gas cap with vaseline to gross out the siphoner and make it harder to cover up.

A guy who realized someone was trying to break into his garage rigged a gun trap to scare off potential intruders when he wasn't home, but instead a kid broke in and got shot in the face.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
After the autopsy, did they figure out where the problem was?? Oh and what year and make was your car.

Split in the fuel line leading into the Carb, BMW 316i.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom