• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Naughty Dog definitively the best Sony studio now?

Crash Bandicoot defined western platformers in the 32 bit era

Jak and Daxter did it again for shooter/platformers

Uncharted brought about a new age of action games, opened up gaming to a new audience, then by the end of the generation after 3 uncharted games they drop The Last of Us

Now Naughty Dog had one of the highest grossing video game movies with Uncharted again, now they have the highest rated video game adaptation which will set the bar for all others.

If they release Factions this year they might have a generation defining multiplayer title for Playstation also. The history of Naughty Dog as a first party studio is pretty legendary and it doesn’t look like they’re slowing down anytime soon. I have a feeling their next IP is going to set another benchmark for AAA gaming

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Considering that Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us Part II were disappointments for me, I would say no. Insomniac is in my opinion Sony's best studio as they've literally carried the PlayStation 5 through the first two years and within half the generation, could have released up to 4 excellent games while other studios including Naughty Dog wouldn't have released a single new game yet.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
If you expand video game studio definition to include TV/movie adaptations (I wont), then sure.

Purely as a game studio, they are definitely up there in top 3. For me sucker punch and insomniac (maybe Guerrilla) would round top 3. Insomniac has crazy quantity and quality both.

If you expand video game studio definition to include TV/movie adaptations (I wont), then sure.

Purely as a game studio, they are definitely up there in top 3. For me sucker punch and insomniac (maybe Guerrilla) would round top 3. Insomniac has crazy quantity and quality both.

Well, sonys most successful playstation productions properties are based on their games so you would have to

ec6f67fbcc10c5d62111ed7591d9d3c90650c0d9.gif

Last edited:

TexMex

I love basically everything they've put out PS2-Present (not an OG Crash fan except for CTR) - and I've grown very bored by their output.

I think they run circles around most anyone from a technical perspective but I'm desperate for something new from them.

supernova8

Banned
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

I blocked most of the IbizaPocholo type posters and now I'm stuck with a NeoGAF full of opinion piece bollocks (I'm guilty of it too lol).

I miss the leaks!
GIF by marko

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Don’t understand the logic behind attributing movies and TV shows to a video game studio that had nothing to do with either. At least tlou has Neil as showrunner though that’s pretty much where the studio involvement ends. They need to be judged by their video games and games alone.

There was a thread here last year around the same time gow ragnorak was reviewed and most picked ssm over ND. Then the game came out and it was clearly overrated by the critics and all ssm have proven is that they are no naughty dog when it comes to ambitious storytelling and pushing boundaries in both graphics and combat. So yes, ND is their best studio right now. Tlou remake notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They have been since Uncharted 2. And even before then really.

And it’s truly not even close. Not even up for debate.

From kiddy platformers, to adventure games, to violent mature story driven games. They have excelled in everything. No other studio has been so successful with so many different types of games.

Anyone who says Insomniac. Please. None of their games have inspired anyone. They’re not pushing any boundaries. Let’s see what they do with Wolverine

Santa Monica is great but they are a god of war machine. What else can they do?

Guerilla just started to hit their stride in 2017. Need to see more from them.

Sucker punch. Lol. Ghosts is a PS3 era game design wise. They are not leaders in any department.

Last edited:
They have been since Uncharted 2. And even before then really.

And it’s truly not even close. Not even up for debate.

From kiddy platformers, to adventure games, to violent mature story driven games. They have excelled in everything. No other studio has been so successful with so many different types of games.

Anyone who says Insomniac. Please. None of their games have inspired anyone. They’re not pushing any boundaries. Let’s see what they do with Wolverine

Santa Monica is great but they are a god of war machine. What else can they do?

Guerilla just started to hit their stride in 2017. Need to see more from them.

Sucker punch. Lol. Ghosts is a PS3 era game design wise. They are not leaders in any department.

Ghost is far better than Infamous and Sly at least, but they still have a ways to go as far as carving out their own critical acclaim. A big push for Tsushima was anti-TLOU 2 at the time so they benefited from the timing of the hate campaign.

tommycronin

Of course not. They haven't released a new title since 2013. They've been making the same game since Uncharted 1 regardless of what that quality is they havent branched off the Uncharted 1 guidelines which released in 2007. I would measure a studios excellence on how diverse their catalogue is. They haven't even released a new PS5 game yet and we're 2+ years in.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

ND were the best in the ps3 era. They are still the best, as far as technical details go. They lost key creative people and the fun part of ND is gone and will likely never come back. Amy and Charles were not just random people.

Mr. Druckmann focuses on drama, preachiness and suffering, and his gamble seems to have paid off - lots of people loved, apparently, TLOU2. And now it's beeing praised on HBO. This is objectively a success.

I don't care for the direction they went... Even TLoU 1, back on the ps3, was too depressing and dreadful. And the second part.. Let's just not go there.

The Uncharted movie sucked compared to the games. U4 was beautiful, but the pacing was off. If only there was a way to combine u1-3 pacing with U4...

In terms of their overall success, I would say yes. They’ve always pioneered something or moved things forward, and now their properties are going to develop goodwill, brand growth and money in other media forms. If their MP game is a success then they’ll have that place cemented.

I would say that Guerilla will be hot on their heels in this regard, but it’ll take some time. Horizon’s universe is ripe for exploring and I could see it as a TV series, a series of films or even Anime. Multiplayer from them also makes sense and could be very good.

Msamy

I think they generally are but currently i think insomniac are far ahead especially in technology and taking advantage of ps5.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Well, sonys most successful playstation productions properties are based on their games so you would have to

ec6f67fbcc10c5d62111ed7591d9d3c90650c0d9.gif

But Naughty Dog didn't make the TV series. Game studios created the IPs, sure, but not the product in case of movies/TV etc.

To each his own but to me it doesn't make much sense.

Ar¢tos

Every game they made since uncharted 1 follows the same exact formula with an increased focus on "feelings" and cutscenes with each new game. If lack of innovation is what makes a studio great, then sure...

Every game they made since uncharted 1 follows the same exact formula with an increased focus on "feelings" and cutscenes with each new game. If lack of innovation is what makes a studio great, then sure...

You can probably make this argument for 99% of game studios, including Fromsoftware and Rockstar

But Naughty Dog didn't make the TV series. Game studios created the IPs, sure, but not the product in case of movies/TV etc.

To each his own but to me it doesn't make much sense.

Don't be obtuse. Naughty Dog is listed as a production company for the TV show and Neil Druckman is literally a showrunner on the show.

And yes, Naughty Dog is easily their best studio and has been pretty much since the outset, though you could probably argue that Polyphony Digital were far more successful in the PS1-2 days.

Insomniac has never created a single IP that has generated anywhere near the revenue for Sony that Naughty Dog has.

That their IP has elevated PlayStation Productions even further says quite a bit. Uncharted while not a runaway hit was the 13th highest-grossing movie of 2022. It's the highest-grossing American-made film that wasn't part of a film franchise that has been on the screen before.

Their games are by far the highest revenue-generating game franchises for Sony and they own the IP. God of War is right up there with if not higher, but it's only one franchise.

Naughty Dog has created
Crash
Jak
Uncharted
Last of Us

Insomniac's Spider-Man games are as popular or more than any of these, but they don't own the IP, Marvel does. These games can't be nearly as profitable as a result, and at the end of the day, Marvel could take the franchise away at some point.

The only competition Naughty Dog has from an objective standpoint is Bungie, but speaking of Bungie, Naughty Dog just made future M&A that much easier for Sony who can now promise successful cross-media, which can be very lucrative for the decision-makers at companies. If PlayStation Productions can continue on this trend with God of War and Horizon, it will upend the industry. The diversification of revenue will allow PlayStation to go onto bigger and better things and by the looks of the Jak movie, could bring back a lot of franchises that people loved.

Ar¢tos

You can probably make this argument for 99% of game studios, including Fromsoftware and Rockstar
Sure, but I'm not saying those studios are the best.
Sony has other studios that actually innovative and try different things, don't just release the same game over and over with a new skin.

In terms of their overall success, I would say yes. They’ve always pioneered something or moved things forward, and now their properties are going to develop goodwill, brand growth and money in other media forms. If their MP game is a success then they’ll have that place cemented.

I would say that Guerilla will be hot on their heels in this regard, but it’ll take some time. Horizon’s universe is ripe for exploring and I could see it as a TV series, a series of films or even Anime. Multiplayer from them also makes sense and could be very good.

They're making a tv series on Netflix.

Don’t understand the logic behind attributing movies and TV shows to a video game studio that had nothing to do with either. At least tlou has Neil as showrunner though that’s pretty much where the studio involvement ends. They need to be judged by their video games and games alone.

There was a thread here last year around the same time gow ragnorak was reviewed and most picked ssm over ND. Then the game came out and it was clearly overrated by the critics and all ssm have proven is that they are no naughty dog when it comes to ambitious storytelling and pushing boundaries in both graphics and combat. So yes, ND is their best studio right now. Tlou remake notwithstanding.
Pure FUD. Gow is not overrated at all. Only on internet forums from cheetos finger covered, mountain dew sipping console warriors are saying its overrated. The game exceeded peoples expectations because they didn't think the sequel could be just as good or even better than the first game which had a 94 metacritic rating.

Flutta

Banned
SP & Inso are far better imo. They make games focused around enjoyment rather then trying to send a ”message”. ND went downhill after U4. Thank Cuckmann for that. They still are kings when it comes to animations/graphics but gaming is more than just some shiny layers.

Last edited:

ZehDon

I'd argue Insomniac is Sony's best studio. They've delivered consistently high results across multiple genres to impossibly high degrees. Best purchase Sony ever made, hands down. It's insane what they're able to do at the speed they're able to deliver it.

Actually, that would be Rare Ware Ltd.

I'd argue Ratchet and Clank were better, and they were all overshadowed by Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto.

Uncharted brought about a new age of action games, opened up gaming to a new audience...
Lol, yeah, gonna need to see the receipts for that one.

... The history of Naughty Dog as a first party studio is pretty legendary...
There's certainly no denying they've made some great games in their history. The PS3 was really their golden era - not just because of the quality of their games, but because they helped give Sony the titles it needed to keep PlayStation itself afloat. Sony was carried through the PS3 disaster by its first parties, who stepped up to the plate when Sony needed them most and delivered, time and again. Naughty Dog delivered Uncharted 2, giving the PS3 its first real killer app. I distinctly remember, when Uncharted 2 started landing GOTYs, the tide turned, and suddenly the maligned PS3 had games worth buying a PS3 for. That was their high point. I'd argue since TLOU, Naughty Dog have fallen into the trap of just "doing what works", stuck making the same style of game for two full console generations now. Hopefully, with Factions 2, we start to see what else the studio can do.

[Sigma]

Naughty Dog isn't the one making the movies so eh. They may be the "best studio" but they're certainly not my favorite. Crash and Jak and Daxter, nice history but they're long gone. Current studio with Neil aint making shit like that. Currently they been cycling between Uncharted and The Last of Us for 15 years running. These two franchises one I don't value that much anymore(Uncharted) and the other(The Last of Us) im not into like a lot of people. Uncharted peaked at 2 and went down hill from there. I want that motherfucker dead. The Last of Us I thought it was ok finding just enough muster to finish it but I still have no motivation to even play The Last of Us II, it just sitting there still in the case. So i've just accepted im not into The Last of Us. So while a lot of people are enjoying their games, they're highly rated and all that, I see a studio who talents are being wasted. I want to see them make different shit. Im not getting jiggy with the current Naughty Dog.

I kinda feel the same way about Santa Monica right now. I have not even thought about booting up God of War Ragnarok. I feel nothing but loathe towards it right now.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, imo at least. Although I liked them better when they made platformers, but Uncharted and TLOU are great as well.

For all of the people saying that Naughty Dog has nothing to do with making the TV show or movies, should see that they are cited as a production company on TLOU and it's clear that people are salty AND don't know how tv shows and movies are made.

They're making a tv series on Netflix.
Yes - but I would wait and see with that one. While we know, based on reviews, that TLOU on HBO is a critical success, the same can’t be said for many Netflix video game adaptations. Horizon will need a considerably bigger budget to do the premise justice, and I’m not altogether sure it’ll be what fans want.

cormack12

Gold Member
I still prefer SSM..I think Naughty Dog has best in class animation and artists but even then SSM isn't far behind.

Plus there is a lot more action in SSM generally. SSM took a lot from the ND template when creating GOW 2018 and it wouldn't be a bad thing for ND to look at SSM action and combat etc.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
I disagree because:
  1. Firstly it doesn't make sense to declare one studio as the best, because their output is so subjectve; many people have different favourites; Sucker Punch, Santa Monica, Insomniac, Housemarque have also made games which many people will tell you are their favourite Sony First Party game (Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Spider-Man, Returnal). My personal favourite on PS5 is Guerilla's Forbidden West.
  2. It is also not necessary since all the games and studios i described above have contributed equally to the reputation that Sony has as a top first party publisher. That wouldn't be possible with just one or two good studios making one or two good IPs per generation (like Microsoft).
  3. We need all these studios to keep trying to one-up each other in terms of quality; that is the only way we as consumers will keep getting good games. We can't have only one of them trying to push the envelope.
So i would hope that Guerilla, SMS, Insomniac, Sucker Punch and the rest all see Naughty Dog's success as incentive to do even better for their next projects.

Last edited:

nkarafo

If the PS1 was your first console ever and you avoided Nintendo/Sega because some Sony magazine said they are for kids... I suppose it would look that way to you.

Aaron Olive

Strength of each studio

Guerrilla for their Game Engine, they're hiring for a new online project with 43 open positions!
Sucker Punch for their story telling and design.
Naughty Dog for their Mocap
Santa Monica Studios for their overall good QA and all around way around hardware
Insomniac for their technical prowess and ability to put out games like an assembly line.

YCoCg

randy-savage-13134.jpg

WOAH THERE DOGGIES, NAUGHTY DOG WAS ONCE ON TOP, BUT LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT A STUDIO CALLED INSOMNIAC!

macho-man-randy-savage_crop_north.jpg

THE PS4 AND PS5 ERA HAVE SHOWN THAT INSOOMNIAC CAN DOMINATE OTHER SONY STUDIOS!

ghows-PA-4bec264c-73c2-47e7-8986-f15ead11e7ae-c6e83b3d.jpeg

HOW MANY OTHER STUDIOS HAVE DONE FREE PATCHES, SUPPORTED 120Hz MODES, GOOD REMASTERS AND CONTINUED TO RELEASE MULTIPLE NEW TITLES?

BEPlblun_400x400.jpg

I CAN TELL YOU HASN'T, NAUGHTY DOG, AND WHO DID? INSOMNIAC, NOW SIT BACK AND LOOK FORWARD TO THE THREE NEW GAMES INSOMNIAC ARE DOING WHILST NAUGHTY DOG STRUGGLE WITH ONE!​

Top Bottom