• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony funding Ikumi Nakamara’s new studio, ‘Unseen Studios’?

Ikumi Nakamura*

People wanted to know if sony was building up a japanese roster with their XDev team and I think Unseen Studios might be one of their targets. They haven’t mentioned any investors or publishers but their studio space is pretty swanky and expensive looking, like Kojima’s.

I’ve done some sluuuuuething and the evidence is starting to pile up. A timeline….

https://twitter.com/nakamura193/status/1179745813792088065?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1179745813792088065|twgr^495aa25cb55822d64c009bff1d97249e38b8942f|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/10/fans_want_ex-ghostwire_tokyo_director_ikumi_nakamura_to_join_sony

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I recall rumors floating around prior to the announcement of her own independent studio that she was possibly joining PlayStation in some capacity. I think maybe she had visited Santa Monica or one of their studios and maybe that's what started the rumors. Then they died down after Unseen was revealed. And now...

Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

I recall rumors floating around prior to the announcement of her own independent studio that she was possibly joining PlayStation in some capacity. I think maybe she had visited Santa Monica or one of their studios and maybe that's what started the rumors. Then they died down after Unseen was revealed. And now...

Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

It would make more sense to me that sony would want another homegrown studio in Japan. This would be what Haven is to Canada for them

nial

Gold Member
I hope so, I find it strange that Sony has NEVER had more than two Japanese studios. It's time for a change.

Varteras

Gold Member
Uhh what tweets? By your logic she is just as likely being funded by Riot or Ubisoft who she tweets about all the time.

Whoa! Did Ubisoft fund her studio? Or is she basically a social media influencer who will post anything for engagement?

Influencer GIF by Simply Social Media

Uhh what tweets? By your logic she is just as likely being funded by Riot or Ubisoft who she tweets about all the time.

Whoa! Did Ubisoft fund her studio? Or is she basically a social media influencer who will post anything for engagement?

Or maybe the fact that she was at the playstation partner awards has Shu visiting the studio?

Also weird you’d refer to her as a social media influencer with that avatar

i don't think she is a social media influencer. it seems like she was doing networking with peers in the industry.

CamHostage

I hope so, I find it strange that Sony has NEVER had more than two Japanese studios. It's time for a change.

Two independent studios, you mean, as in Polyphony Digital and another studio?

Because of course Sony until recently had Japan Studio, which from the very beginning of PlayStation developed games internally as well as produced with external development partners out of its Tokyo office. (Sony in Japan also currently operates Team Asobi, makers of the Astro-Bot games, so technically, it does have two studios in Japan right now, even if Asobi has not really flown on its own yet with an original title outside the Japan Studio housing.)

I do agree either way that Sony could use more Japanese studios on its roster. The expansion in the rest of the globe always made me hopeful that a Japanese answer to Naughty Dog or Guerrilla would happen some day, but it never did. With the closure of Japan Studio (which I adored but had a lot of production problems and ups-and-downs leading to its closure,) I am crossing my fingers that Sony will support and perhaps bring inside Japanese studios like Unseen or Bokeh, but so far none of that has happened.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Or maybe the fact that she was at the playstation partner awards has Shu visiting the studio?

Also weird you’d refer to her as a social media influencer with that avatar

She was also at a Ubisoft creator event and their offices in JP. Guess that settles it. Ubisoft must want a new japanese studio in their portfolio. I’m just out here sleuthing!

I’m not calling her an influencer to insult her. She just has a shitload of followers and posts industry people all the time. That e3 presentation made her an internet celebrity.

She was also at a Ubisoft creator event and their offices in JP. Guess that settles it. Ubisoft must want a new japanese studio in their portfolio. I’m just out here sleuthing!

I’m not calling her an influencer to insult her. She just has a shitload of followers and posts industry people all the time. That e3 presentation made her an internet celebrity.

Again, 2019, im talking about now

You’re also kind of dismissing the fact that we know for a fact that ubisoft and riot aren’t going to be funding a japanese studio

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

I hope not,she's a hack and her game will be a disappointment,when the only reason you have a following is acting like a retard on stage it's hard to have high expectations. Tell me how she designed Bayonetta but what did she do after

I wish the studio stays independent and this is just her going around through the industry to promote her new studio and for networking. Nothing more, nothing less.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Why is OP not letting people know who this person is and why it could be of interest if a new audio is build around that person. Looking at the OP it’s an influencer.

EN250

Why is OP not letting people know who this person is and why it could be of interest if a new audio is build around that person. Looking at the OP it’s an influencer.
Answered already in the thread:
The cringe weeb queen behind Tokyo ghostwire.

If you want to know more about what she did:

Worked on Okami, Bayonetta, The Evil Within 1+2, Ghostwire Tokyo, E3 presentation made her a "celebrity" (thx to the simps) and now has her own dev team

She's like an instagram influencer showing herself with every game dev in any place of the world, not much else to add, she looks nice and all, but people overhype her as some sort of big game dev when there is no real reason yet

GymWolf

Answered already in the thread:

If you want to know more about what she did:

Worked on Okami, Bayonetta, The Evil Within 1+2, Ghostwire Tokyo, E3 presentation made her a "celebrity" (thx to the simps) and now has her own dev team

She's like an instagram influencer showing herself with every game dev in any place of the world, not much else to add, she looks nice and all, but people overhype her as some sort of big game dev when there is no real reason yet
Nerds like real life waifu that act like cringe anime waifu:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Yoboman

Nah. She was freelancing after leaving Tango in 2019. So she's pictured with all those devs

Obviously got some capital to start Unseen a couple years ago

Shu visiting her is not unusual. Its literally his job to be forming relationships with Indies. Doesn't mean Sony is funding them

wipeout364

She has a financial relationship with Ubisoft as she has been designing skins for Rainbow six siege for a few years now.

J0QkUwT.jpg
kD1WCkA.jpg

yurinka

Nah, she made a tour visiting many friend studios to get ideas for her studio. Yoshida may support some of the games of the studio in the same way they do with many other indie teams, but I don't see any hint of additional relationship here.

She has a financial relationship with Ubisoft as she has been designing skins for Rainbow six siege for a few years now.

J0QkUwT.jpg
kD1WCkA.jpg
No this was only a small collaboration where she designed a handful skins for Watchddogs Legion. They paid her for that, and that's all.

The next Jade Raymond in the making, done very little, over hyped.
Raymond created really fast and leaded multiple -not only one- super successful and super productive teams, produced multiple gaming history record breaking AAA new IPs plus super successful sequels. Her teams innovated in online games with The Sims Online, in open worlds with AC or in eSports and GaaS with Rainbow Six Siege to name a few. Plus also worked on a shit ton of super successful AAA games, developing several of them at the same time. Only a few people in the gaming industry achieved more than her on her production and studio management area. Companies like Ubisoft, EA, Google and Sony bet on her because of the results, not because of a pretty face.

None of the games where Nakamura was an art director was a big hit, she left (I'd say she wasn't fired) before competing the first game she was directing and now she is creating her first studio.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Again, 2019, im talking about now

You’re also kind of dismissing the fact that we know for a fact that ubisoft and riot aren’t going to be funding a japanese studio

4/5 of the tweets in the OP are from 2019 lmao. And how do we know that? Riot is spreading their wings and has a shitload of cash.

Aenima

After she left Tango, she did a tour around a bunch of studios. After that she anounced the creation of her own studio. The only revelant pic is Shu Yoshida visiting her studio. Might not mean anything or might mean a possible partnership between Playstation and her 1st game as Yoshida is in charge of the indie division. But Yoshida also visit alot of ppl and places, so...

Top Bottom