• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony missing out on PC sales by releasing too many games at once?

Midn1ght

Do you have also for some games which PC gamers are more interested? For example, ER or RE:Village, Deathloop etc?
Here's a few.
8seCGDa.jpeg

Metro has 2 different trophies for 2 different endings I believe, the other one is at 14.8% so that's 39.2% total.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
These games don’t sell all that well on PC. Days gone made a mere $22 million in revenue. Gow $26 mill After selling almost a million copies. HZD made $60 million after two years. It made $160 million on ps4 in the first month alone.

They said their goal was to generate $300 million in revenue from PC this year after maxing out at $80 million last year despite launching Days Gone and GOW.

That means they have to release a whole lot more than just 5 games this year. I expect Returnal to come out early next year before their fiscal year ends.

DavidGzz

Uncharted is like Tomb Raider so not different enough to not wait for a deep sale. Persona or God of War are pretty unique.

Last edited:
Uncharted is too dumb for PC. They should port games like Returnal, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls remake. These kind of games would sell bueno on PC.

What in the flying hell does this even mean? Too dumb?

Nobody was really clamoring for uncharted on PC. I don’t think these cinematic experience type games are as popular on PC as they are on consoles.

There have been many types of "cinematic experiences" on PC for a long time.

bender

What time is it?
These games don’t sell all that well on PC. Days gone made a mere $22 million in revenue. Gow $26 mill After selling almost a million copies. HZD made $60 million after two years. It made $160 million on ps4 in the first month alone.

They said their goal was to generate $300 million in revenue from PC this year after maxing out at $80 million last year despite launching Days Gone and GOW.

That means they have to release a whole lot more than just 5 games this year. I expect Returnal to come out early next year before their fiscal year ends.

Sony should have released the Knack duology.

JackSparr0w

Banned
PC gamers : we want Sony games on pc master race 8K240FPS.
Sony : Okey!
PC gamers : cry baby playstation, we won pc master race!
Sony : there they are...
PC gamers : no thanks, to busy playing some COD shit...
Sony : is it good? You don't want our games?
PC gamers : shut up loosers!

PC gamers, ladies and gentlemen.
At least get your facts straight by checking what games PC gamers are playing. COD won't even last on the Steam top ten for more than a week.

PC gamers value gameplay above everything and couldn't care less about Sony GOTY bait cinematic experiences.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

No.

A lot of the titles on PC are, well, older titles. So people that never got to enjoy them finally can, or folks that choose to double dip. But I think a LOT of people that REALLY wanted to play them already have when they launched on console. Uncharted chose a time to launch when so many people are already playing other titles that released on or before the same date, so not the best time to do so either, IMO.

Hydroxy

Yeah i think we should wait for the weekend numbers. Also I think Sackboy will be a disaster. It will be first flop for Sony on PC.

Yeah i think we should wait for the weekend numbers. Also I think Sackboy will be a disaster. It will be first flop for Sony on PC.

How are you defining flop?

Flop has to be based on expectations, budgets, e.t.c.

Sackboy originally was a low budget game and porting it to PC was probably cheap as well.

If this sells 50K copies it'll probably net a profit.

Cryio

If you think October is bad for devs because it's stacked, y'all haven't looked at 2023.

The ENTIRE YEAR is stacked.

Larxia

I wonder if there's any chance for them to ever look back at older, smaller titles, after they are done porting all big current hits.
I'd really love seeing Gravity Rush on PC, which is very unlikely since it's not popular, but with the movie being in the work... maybe it increases the chances? Stuff like Infamous Second Son, Shadow of the colossus etc would be pretty cool too.
But it seems like they will only focus on big recent and upcoming releases.

Buggy Loop

Imagine calling U4 with its linearity, semi auto climbing and semi braindead gunplay difficult.

And daring to call a platform which has study sims >300 pages (671 pages for the motherfucking A-10C, i printed it) of instructions on how to fly a jet fighter to not like difficult games, holy shit. Or that the most played games as of now on Steam which are CS:GO, Dota 2, Team fortress 2, Apex... are newbie friendly? Learning curves for Dwarf Fortress, EVE online, Arma III, etc?

Ray Liotta Lol GIF

Sony games are the very definition of user friendly, trying to satisfy everyone.

Maybe rather than blaming PC gamers :
  • Releasing an unknown franchise on PC at the 4th entry? Why would i play this?
  • Bad port by all accounts for performances
  • Busy month

Holammer

I wonder if there's any chance for them to ever look back at older, smaller titles, after they are done porting all big current hits.
I'd really love seeing Gravity Rush on PC, which is very unlikely since it's not popular, but with the movie being in the work... maybe it increases the chances? Stuff like Infamous Second Son, Shadow of the colossus etc would be pretty cool too.
I'm afraid Sony is being stupid and refuses to port "old crap", Uncharted Trilogy? You don't want that!
I wouldn't mind ports of PS3 era games. Port everything, including Fat Princess.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At least get your facts straight by checking what games PC gamers are playing. COD won't even last on the Steam top ten for more than a weak.

PC gamers value gameplay above everything and couldn't care less about Sony GOTY bait cinematic experiences.
Very true. The top games played on PC skew heavy to DOTA, MP, survival, and not surprisingly Sims 4.

Sony/Xbox top played (I just checked) have MP and sports. And COD is always there. Sony gamers dont care much for playing SP either because even their big first party games dont even last on top played charts. They drop fast down the rankings.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

Is Sony missing out on PC sales by releasing too many games at once?

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If they have a version ported to PS4/PS5 (or will be), I can see PC in the cards due to easier porting.

If it's one off PC versions I dont see it. That's what PS+ is for where PS and PC get oldies where PC is via streaming.

I still don’t think this PC-port spree Sony is heavily investing into will be as huge or profitable as everyone thinks. I’m just not so sure if the audience for those type of games and Sony exclusives are as plentiful on PC as they think. There’s so much competition right now especially on PC where they literally get everything available on one platform. Most titles get lost in the endless multitude of games and that probably even applies to PlayStation titles especially older ones. Also, it could be that most people who wanted to play these titles already played them long ago as well.

If games like Returnal, Bloodborne and Demon’s Souls didn’t sell extremely well on PlayStation consoles, why is everyone expecting them to blow up and dominate on PC? I know the PC user base is huge, but there’s a lot more competition on PC compared to what was on PS4 and PS5 when those games I listed released.

SlimySnake

5ayIfuj.jpeg

Ouch.

This is something MS learned. There is no massive 200 million PC userbase starving for their games. Those guys dont play games Sony makes. Just look at the top 10 best reviewed titles on steam this year. I believe that cat game was leading the charts.

If they were making WRPGs like Skyrim, Cyberpunk, Witcher 3 or for some reason souls games which are surprisingly huge on PC, you are not going to find a big audience. Those 75k concurrent users might seem impressive until you see that it basically amounted to $28 million in sales for Sony.

Day one releases will obviously be a better indicator and I think thats where Sony is eventually going. This is basically a preview. they are going to be releasing all the latest PS5 games on day one eventually.

SlimySnake

If games like Returnal, Bloodborne and Demon’s Souls didn’t sell extremely well on PlayStation consoles, why is everyone expecting them to blow up and dominate on PC? I know the PC user base is huge, but there’s a lot more competition on PC compared to what was on PS4 and PS5 when those games I listed released.
I dont know about returnal, but souls games have just as big of a fanbase on PC as they do on consoles. No idea why, but Dark Souls 1 was a big seller and they have just continued to sell since.

returnal is a rougelike which is a popular genre on PC, but they dont seem to do Souls numbers.

Warablo

Uncharted 4 is a story game where PC gamers didn't get the start of the story. Never was the biggest fan of the gameplay/gunplay either, but had its adventure moments.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
5ayIfuj.jpeg

Ouch.

This is something MS learned. There is no massive 200 million PC userbase starving for their games. Those guys dont play games Sony makes. Just look at the top 10 best reviewed titles on steam this year. I believe that cat game was leading the charts.

If they were making WRPGs like Skyrim, Cyberpunk, Witcher 3 or for some reason souls games which are surprisingly huge on PC, you are not going to find a big audience. Those 75k concurrent users might seem impressive until you see that it basically amounted to $28 million in sales for Sony.

Day one releases will obviously be a better indicator and I think thats where Sony is eventually going. This is basically a preview. they are going to be releasing all the latest PS5 games on day one eventually.
PC crowd is different. They dont seem amped up on buying shit day one like console games. And their preference in games is different.

Skimming any top played games list, it's shooters, lots of survival action games like Rust and Ark, DOTA, creative games like Roblox and MC, The Sims 4 etc.... In essence, I dont think I've seen one SP narrative game being a top played game. And if there are some that are decent sellers, they must be lower than the list's cut off point.

You also get games like DOTA (RTS/MOBA) and Sims (adult oriented) that will never be big on consoles due to the nature of the game and games like this being better suited for m/kb.

I dont know about returnal, but souls games have just as big of a fanbase on PC as they do on consoles. No idea why, but Dark Souls 1 was a big seller and they have just continued to sell since.

returnal is a rougelike which is a popular genre on PC, but they dont seem to do Souls numbers.
Ah, I see. I didn’t know it was a big seller on PC.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Not sure about the narrative of console gamers buying every sony first party games under the sun like some users seem to imply. Sony does a MASSIVE marketing push for them, bundles them with consoles, includes them on PS+ and are among the first games to have heavy discounts on the store. While all they do for the PC releases is an entry in a blog or a you tube video.

I don't think that console gamers would flock to first party games if they were released in such a short period of time. Imagine Spiderman, Miles Morales, 2 Uncharted games and Sackboy releasing in 3 to 4 months, while also competing vs third party juggernauts like Persona 5 and COD among others. Sony typically times their first party releases to avoid clashing with big third party games, in order to ensure maximum profitability for both them and third parties.

What they need to learn from this is that they should time their releases better. And also cater to PC gamers tastes.... Is asinine how a game like Dreams is not on PC yet but we got a couple of cover shooters with little replay value instead and a platformer...

If Factions is a good game and its well optimized, they can make as much money as with all their PC releases combined.

Last edited:
Videogames are sold on hype. Why do you think they spend tens of millions of dollars on advertising and influencers?

So no a 2 year old port is not going to sell as much as it did on PS4.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Dark souls, elden ring etc have the biggest platform on PC.

How has uncharted collection performed on ps5? I hope Sony start sharing numbers on ps5 performance, because I thought they were renowned to do that yet we haven't had ANY updates on software sales have we?

winjer

Gold Member
Sony should have released the first 3 games on PC, before the 4th installment.
I bet a lot of people thought they couldn't enjoy the 4th game, without playing and knowing the story of the other games.

daninthemix

Uncharted 4 is an event videogame, and that event happened in 2016. It doesn't have much to offer in 2022. It no longer has class-leading graphics. The gameplay is basic and dated. It doesn't give console owners a sense of pride in their hardware. It's the last game in a series. It released in the middle of a week that also saw Call of Duty and Persona 5 launch - two games that between them probably represent a massive percentage of the playerbase.

Basically the release doesn't have a lot going for it.

Midn1ght

Going back at the feeling I have that Sony is being messy with their PC ports, pricing and marketing.
Just have a look at the prices here.

tqsn3Nf.jpeg

They release all their games at 49.99€ then introduce a "next-gen tax" with Spider-Man Remastered at 59.99€.
They then release Uncharted (Also a remaster) at 49.99€ and open pre-orders for Sackboy at 59.99€ (Good luck)
Finally, they open pre-orders for Miles Morales at 49.99€.

Spiderman Remastered 59.99€ - Miles Morales 49.99€
Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Were they testing the water with 59.99€ and realized it was too high? Did they F'd up putting Sackboy at 59.99€ and can't refund those who already pre-ordered the game?

Weird...

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
PC gamers : we want Sony games on pc master race 8K240FPS.
Sony : Okey!
PC gamers : cry baby playstation, we won pc master race!
Sony : there they are...
PC gamers : no thanks, to busy playing some COD shit...
Sony : is it good? You don't want our games?
PC gamers : shut up loosers!

PC gamers, ladies and gentlemen.
Sounds like they found out they were overhyped?

If you haven't had a PlayStation, you keep hearing how insane great and value ps exclusives are.

Then they get to PC, people try them, find out they were overhyped and don't care.

I know it sounds flaming, but you can't browse any forum without praising ps exclusives. While they have alot of different settings, they are mainly third person games.

PC players doesn't have strong brand loyalty, so they don't feel a game is better because some first party has developed it.

I'm not saying ps games are bad. There's a reason they get great scores and people like them.

But they are really, really overhyped.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Probably not. This is a bit different from a situation where those games first came out, where it's the most important to have a release window that's not too crowded so that people wouldn't have to choose between one or the other, potentially setting at least one game for a failure. This is a situation where those games already had their world premiere and now they're just generating revenue at a steady pace without having to fill in some fiscal quota, so they're in a more convenient position to just sit there on a storefront and patiently wait for everyone to get around to buying them.

At least get your facts straight by checking what games PC gamers are playing. COD won't even last on the Steam top ten for more than a weak.

That what I've done. COD is 1st here in France.

Shure PC Gamers value gameplay, not power race, that's why there is no talk about how RT is the very best thing on PC, no talk with new cards and how they do against others. None of this is real! Gameplay.

"Sony GOTY bait cinematic experiences." you read it fist on GAF!

Last edited:
Possibly.

I do think Sony will aggressively go harder and faster into the PC market. I think we’ll absolutely see a PS+ where there is PC access or functionality. Premium being what it is with PC games added in, where the streaming will provide access to the PS3 games seems like an interesting proposition.

No need to increase costs - just include PC games in the premium tier.

Top Bottom