• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony missing out on PC sales by releasing too many games at once?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Actual* words from PC gamer to PlayStation gamer:
”For you, the day Uncharted 4 released was the most important day of your life. But for me… it was Tuesday.”

*not really

The novelty of playing a Playstation exclusive on PC is over. Now it's just "oh it's that PS4 game".

The same thing will happen to Nintendo if they ever do it. The first one will be a big event and sell like crazy and then it will be like any regular game.

Multiplatforms games come out everyday, no one cares.
THANK. YOU.

I’ve been saying this for years.
Such is the video games market, exclusivity and brand loyalty play a huge part in success and sales. Bring Mario and Zelda to PC and they’ll be just a drop in the ocean.

I don't think we should be using an almost 7 year old game that surpassed 20M copies sold years ago already...and a 4th entry from a series that started in 2007 where the original trilogy never made it to PC as a way to look at Sony's success on PC.

Miles Morales will be doing much better numbers next month. It'll also be the smallest gap between Playstation and PC release so far.

ClosBSAS

They thought that since it was a GOTY and sold around 20M copies or almost they could sell a handful extra million copies on PC with a quick port of the PS5 remaster, as they will very likely do (after its whole lifetime, not in the first couple of days).

Spider-Man, Horizon, GoW or TLOU sold slightly better than Uncharted 4 in PS4 and they aren't sequels (or well, in the case of GoW it's basically reboot that can be played as the first game) so I assume Sony predicted that this Uncharted collection will sell in PC less than these other supersellers.

The game barely has been released, we don't even have the complete concurrent user numbers of the first days and have no idea of launch sales. It's too early even to analyze the CCU numbers of the early days. We need more days to analyze launch sales and look more at reviews than to CCU to estimate sales.

And when comparing to other games, we have to compare similar timeframes, not a couple of days versus what other games sold during all their lifetime.

I also think that Sony will have considered that in this part of the year there are a ton of great new AAA games being released, so a full priced port of a 6 years old game won't have stunning sales at launch specially when being a 4th chapter of a story driven game bundled with its (originally) standalone DLC game.
Well let's take that crazy theory of steam reviews and CCU. 1757 reviews x 80 equals 140k copies sold.

The CCU theory says 10k CCU x 10 is the amount of sales...give or take. So about 100k....so let's say 120k....terrible sales. Days gone sold 3 times as much. The port is terrible. Barebones. No rtx, nothigb that pushed boundaries. If u ask me, the system requirements are too much for an ok looking game.

Jayjayhd34

No i want more want Bloodborne GOT gowr give me them all in best graphics possible and give me a store with integrated trophy support

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Shure PC Gamers value gameplay, not power race, that's why there is no talk about how RT is the very best thing on PC, no talk with new cards and how they do against others. None of this is real! Gameplay.
These are all secondary stuff in pc gaming. Gameplay is king and always has been. Why do you think the most played games are CS, Dota, WoW, LoL, PUBG? Graphics whores are a minority.

Holammer

Ah, I see. I didn’t know it was a big seller on PC.
FROM's Souls games are huge on PC and one way to gauge how well a game sells on Steam is to look at the total amount of user reviews, as a bona fide hit get something in the 200-300k range. Only a certain % of users bother writing one, so it's a good metric. It can also be used to calculate a ballpark sales estimate.

Sekiro - 200k
Dark Souls 3 - 336k
Elden Ring - 539k

Some of the older Sony games.
Horizon Zero Dawn - 82k
Days Gone - 43k
GOW - 60k

As a bonus, the reason why Sony is getting into PC and currently developing shitloads of GaaS titles. They want to develop the next Genshin/Fortnite hit by themselves and reap the rewards.
Apex Legends - 522k
CS:GO - 6.7m
DOTA2 1.8m

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
And daring to call a platform which has study sims >300 pages (671 pages for the motherfucking A-10C, i printed it) of instructions on how to fly a jet fighter to not like difficult games, holy shit. Or that the most played games as of now on Steam which are CS:GO, Dota 2, Team fortress 2, Apex... are newbie friendly? Learning curves for Dwarf Fortress, EVE online, Arma III, etc?

Ray Liotta Lol GIF

Sony games are the very definition of user friendly, trying to satisfy everyone.

Maybe rather than blaming PC gamers :
  • Releasing an unknown franchise on PC at the 4th entry? Why would i play this?
  • Bad port by all accounts for performances
  • Busy month
Or those Starcraft players trying to do 800+ apm. Easy AF.

JCK75

Sony has gone all in on Steam Deck support, their timing is perfect while Microsoft is lagging behind there..
Their timing is perfect and anytime in Steam Deck forums what games really shining on the platform the answer is almost always all of sony's PC Ports.

- Old game

- Likely will be using more old game ports to PC over the coming months with a few new releases in between.

- Expanding PS user base on PC.

IMO

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If I didn’t play most of these games to death I’d be loving it. Now I wait for sales or get for free (thanks Amazon for sending me a Spider man code on a canceled 3090 order).

Hope the pace keeps up till it gets to the games I haven’t played.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Still as someone else said, PC games are not about initial sales in the first couple of weeks, like it is with consoles, games on PC are about legs.
exactly. Sony's games don't do super well on PC because they're primarily singleplayer experiences. Sure a good singleplayer game will keep you coming back every couple of months, but it'll never have the constant replay value and engagement an online game does. that's why CSGO and TF2 dominate the charts and why Persona 5 isn't even in the top 20

yurinka

Well let's take that crazy theory of steam reviews and CCU. 1757 reviews x 80 equals 140k copies sold.

The CCU theory says 10k CCU x 10 is the amount of sales...give or take. So about 100k....so let's say 120k....terrible sales. Days gone sold 3 times as much.
It's dumb to make any assumption with current numbers. Steam needs a few days to properly track its numbers. And in any case, it's a full priced port of an old game released on the busiest part of the year.

It's too early, it will be selling during years, specially when receiving big discounts and price cuts. This PC port will end selling a handful million copies, but obviously not in 3 or 4 days.

The port is terrible. Barebones. No rtx, nothigb that pushed boundaries. If u ask me, the system requirements are too much for an ok looking game.
It's only terrible and barebones in some fanboy fantasy. It got a 88 Metacritic and 86.34%, which is great for a port of a 6 years old game. Obviously being that old the game didn't have RTX, but looks prettier than most of the games that use them even if it's an old game.

exactly. Sony's games don't do super well on PC because they're primarily singleplayer experiences. Sure a good singleplayer game will keep you coming back every couple of months, but it'll never have the constant replay value and engagement an online game does. that's why CSGO and TF2 dominate the charts and why Persona 5 isn't even in the top 20
There are tons of multiplayer games with crappy sales, and tons of single player games with insane numbers, like recently Elden Ring or Cyberpunk. Being MP or SP is not related to success. But yes, typically MP games have more replay value.

CSGO and TF2 'dominate' the charts because are made by the same company that owns the store and decides which games are featured and highlighted there, so like any platform holder they prioritize their own games over the other ones.

Sony games don't do super well on PC because they are full priced ports of old games and because you only look at early numbers. They will have good sales but in the long run, after several years.

Regarding Persona, this series never have been a great seller so it's normal to don't see it in the charts.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Sounds like they found out they were overhyped?

If you haven't had a PlayStation, you keep hearing how insane great and value ps exclusives are.

Then they get to PC, people try them, find out they were overhyped and don't care.

I know it sounds flaming, but you can't browse any forum without praising ps exclusives. While they have alot of different settings, they are mainly third person games.

PC players doesn't have strong brand loyalty, so they don't feel a game is better because some first party has developed it.

I'm not saying ps games are bad. There's a reason they get great scores and people like them.

But they are really, really overhyped.

Absolute truth bomb here. Actually Bloodborne/Demons souls and SOTC remake are the only ones I would love to play.
All the others are nice to have but in no way essential to me. 2 from software games and one a remake from a disbanded studio.

I think that since uncharted 2 Sony started building this narrative as if their big (western) exclusives were gaming equivalent to the godfather 2 and specially after TLOU.

PC gamers just see Sony games for what they are. Great production values. Safe ubisoftian gameplay. Good I guess. But the open world borefest novelty wears off fast.

Sony should bring their japanese releases to PC. Mix it up a little. There's life beyond the Sony exclusive template.

Corndog

Banned
Sony just getting their foot in the door to PC gaming and the way they are releasing games are just to warm up the Sony fanbase to eventual day and date
I would be surprised if they did day and date anytime soon. But you obviously have more insider knowledge to my zero.

Topher

Gold Member

If you haven't had a PlayStation, you keep hearing how insane great and value ps exclusives are.

Then they get to PC, people try them, find out they were overhyped and don't care.

I know it sounds flaming, but you can't browse any forum without praising ps exclusives. While they have alot of different settings, they are mainly third person games.

PC players doesn't have strong brand loyalty, so they don't feel a game is better because some first party has developed it.

I'm not saying ps games are bad. There's a reason they get great scores and people like them.

Nah, just overhyped to you because you don't like those type of games. Not everyone is supposed to like the same games, you know. That's a concept that's difficult for gamers to grasp, I think.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

That's basically me.

Played Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War..
Couldn't believe how these games were hyped, especially GoW, remembering IGN's best game of all time poll and this game winning it. Now i realize what a joke that poll is. Even older god of war is better. I mean i enjoyed it, not gonna lie, i beat all valkyries. Had a hard time to finish H:ZD though. But it's nowhere near the level of fucking astroturfing these games enjoyed on all forums and platforms over the years.

Crayon

Nah. They managed to establish mindshare on pc very very fast. Even become a staple of the last year's hardware review benchmarks. I don't think Uncharted 4 not doing too hot means anything.

Absolute truth bomb here. Actually Bloodborne/Demons souls and SOTC remake are the only ones I would love to play.
All the others are nice to have but in no way essential to me. 2 from software games and one a remake from a disbanded studio.

I think that since uncharted 2 Sony started building this narrative as if their big (western) exclusives were gaming equivalent to the godfather 2 and specially after TLOU.

PC gamers just see Sony games for what they are. Great production values. Safe ubisoftian gameplay. Good I guess. But the open world borefest novelty wears off fast.

Sony should bring their japanese releases to PC. Mix it up a little. There's life beyond the Sony exclusive template.Japanese releases?

Sony should bring their japanese releases to PC. Mix it up a little. There's life beyond the Sony exclusive template.
Seems like Sony barely has Japanese releases now. That’s probably my main complaint about them now. As you said, they seemed obsessed with safe big budget, open world high production value Western games.

Seems like Sony barely has Japanese releases now and they want nothing to do with Japanese games from a first party perspective. That’s probably my main complaint about them now. As you said, they seemed obsessed with safe big budget, open world high production value Western games and I don’t see any signs of that changing anytime soon.

Last edited:

Sentenza

There are no such numbers, but it's easy to guess it's around +500K to 3 millions for the first days considering the sales.
Somehow I missed this gem. 500K to 3 million CONCURRENT players? Were you blind drunk when you typed this delusional shit?

Last edited:

Futaleufu

If anything I think they are not releasing enough games. I'm sure a release of a Lemmings collection would do decent numbers on PC.

Shubh_C63

It might just be about not leaving studios idle. Only recently in dramatic fashion they must have acquired/re-purposed teams to focus on PC ports while A-team works on something else. No point having a release window for "legacy" titles when Steam bumps those number every time they got a Sale anyway.

For new titles ofcourse they will pick and choose.

Top Bottom