• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is star trek the next generation the only successful example of a 'next generation'?

mcjmetroid

So I've been watching 'picard' the series and ah it's shit so I I've been watching the old series and I've been thinking.

Next generation series in general . Is Star trek the only series that has pulled this off?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The new DuckTales is also a killer cartoon.
Came here to say this. Watched these all with my son (who is almost 20, lol) and we loved them. I love the original cartoon but it's really hard to watch these days. The new show is infinitely better.

Kadve

I wouldn't really call duck tales a "next generation" series since it keeps all the old characters, more of a reboot than anything.

Beast wars to the Transformers G1 cartoon was a great example though. And possible MLP:FIM to the 80s cartoon/specials. (again, possible more of a reboot, and the stuff that came in between, not so much)

Last edited:

Doom85

Universal Century Gundam goes through several generations/casts in its timeline and generally remained solid.
I heard Boruto started off surprisingly strong. Never watched it, but I did hear IIRC the quality didn't last sadly.
I never got to see it but I heard most liked the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon.
It has some haters, but most people generally enjoy Legend of Korra even if most agree it's not on par with TLA.
Batman Beyond is well-liked.
Mega Man X is awesome.
The Creed movies have been well-received.
Until Lost Galaxy where each season is its own continuity from what I've heard, Power Rangers from the original to In Space were well-liked, the only hiccup being Turbo.

Karma Jawa

Battlestar Galactica was a successful next generation of Battlestar.
Twin Peaks: The Return is another good example.

Twin Peaks: The Return is a very good example. A very different tone (more FWWM), but in many ways much better than the original.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am not a Trekie, but TNG was one of the best shows I watched as a kid.
It is harder to find which next generation did it worse, since most don't evolve into their own thing like TNG did, and instead go back and ruin the original material.

I also want to highlight:
p11491087_v_v8_ac.jpg

Last edited:

Blade2.0

She-ra revival on Netflix is amazing. Should watch it if you like cartoons. Guess that's a reboot though and not a next generation.

It is hard to think of many good ones though.

I remember that TNG was hated at the beginning, though.
It really needed a few seasons to grow into and get accepted as its own thing.

Ovek

7Member7
I remember that TNG was hated at the beginning, though.
It really needed a few seasons to grow into and get accepted as its own thing.

The first two seasons of TNG were dire shit, the second season being impacted by a write strike and the production having to use unused ST Phase 2 scripts.

Nymphae

Banned
Beast Wars/Beasties (in Canada) was a pretty decent next generation of Transformers when I was younger.

Hinedorf

Banned
I absolutly love the newest Star Trek on the CBS streaming service. By the second episode of Picard I was starting to notice a lot of odd writing choices, it's pretty awful compared to the new Star Trek.

Waiting till all the episodes are out to binge it but boy Picard did not start out well.

Last edited:

GV82

Does Batman Beyond Count? Sorta the next Generation of Batman in Animation, not sure how successful it was though? I know I didn’t appreciate it at the time,

Top Bottom