• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Supermassive Games (Until Dawn, Dark Pictures Anthology) charging $10 for extra blood and gore in "The Quarry"? Standard edition is censored/cut?

drotahorror

There are 2 editions of The Quarry, standard and Deluxe.

Deluxe comes with:

*80s-themed character outfits
*Instant access to the Death Rewind system
*Gorefest Movie Mode option
*Horror History Visual Filter Pack

My attention is on the "Gorefest Movie Mode option".

From the FAQ of their website:

Q: What is the Gorefest option in Movie Mode?

A: Press play, sit back, and indulge in the most gruesome, gory, splatter-filled version of The Quarry. For fans of grindhouse grotesqueries: an abundance of death, dismemberment, and buckets of blood await in this brutal option for Movie Mode.

This is the only information I can find.

Does this mean the standard edition (and even your playthrough of the game normally, even if you have the deluxe edition) is censored or otherwise had kills/death's cut in favor of charging more for the Deluxe edition?

Since it's a movie mode, this would mean you simply watch and don't play. If it is in fact gorier, why could it not be in a normal playthrough where you make your own choices if you own the deluxe edition?

I hate to say it, but this was the main draw for me in trying to decide which edition to get. I'm a fan of blood and gore in games/movies. Due to lack of information, I snagged the standard edition off cdkeys for $40.

Either way, if the standard edition has had violence cut and the deluxe edition is sort of like an unrated edition for a horror movie vs the R rated Theatrical cut, then that is really fucked.

Also, no word on whether any of the outfits, gorefest mode, etc will be obtainable besides purchasing the Deluxe edition. No word on whether you can upgrade from standard to deluxe in the future either.

Hugare

Even more confusing is the PS4 version having "PS4/PS5" icon, making me believe that it would have a free upgrade for the PS5

... But the PS5 is $70 instead of $60

ParaSeoul

I think they're just overselling it. On that mode you can set how every character reacts to situations and how everything plays out including all of the characters just slaughtered immediately if you want so its obviously not going to take time to build tension like the actual story.

Last edited:

Rayderism

Oh, I plan to check out every facet of this game. I've found that I enjoy these sorts of games a lot more than I reasonably should. I pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition.

I mean, 186 endings....who knows how many are significant at this point, but for comparison, Until Dawn only had 6, so lots of replayability is pretty much guaranteed in this one, and I re-played Until Dawn multiple times.

And the "watch it play out" modes should be interesting. Gorefest mode will obviously be the most fun, though the characteristic selection "watch it" (Director's Cut) will be interesting too.

Just an FYI for anyone who pre-ordered digitally, the pre-load is live. 47.19GB. Game unlocks for play midnight Thursday night. I'll be playing The Quarry until dawn, pun intended.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I think they're just overselling it. On that mode you can set how every character reacts to situations and how everything plays out including all of the characters just slaughtered immediately if you want so its obviously not going to take time to build tension like the actual story.

Correct, that is the movie mode. You can set everyone to live, or die, or certain characters live/die etc. That is not the gorefest option AFAIK.

drotahorror

Maybe someone out there will get an early copy and figure it out soon. Although I don't think deluxe has a physical release.

drotahorror

Wow thx a lot guy who made thread about the lack of gore in games
That thread definitely inspired me. I've been wondering about this extra mode for a while now. I've tweeted at the developers, asked on reddit etc and nothing for weeks now. I thought maybe a thread would garner some attention. If you're not interested in what it is, that's fine.

Clickbait title...

How? How else should I have worded it? I asked questions in the title because fuck all is known about the gorefest movie mode. So it's all a mystery to me on whether they have cut violent content from the standard edition.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's just an excessive grindhouse mode that is always over the top in those films on top of other incentives that $10 upcharges get in games.

A raw nothingburger.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
2K are publishing. What were you expecting? Already bought it day one but I don't want to see the dude from Detective Pikachu get savaged THAT bad.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Hear Pro Wrestling GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Belthazar

Movie Mode is the mode where the plays itself and it's like the name says, a movie. To it's really not integral to the experience which is the actual game

Top Bottom