• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Halo community extremely whiny or am I missing something with infinite?

Sakura

People have been warning 343 and criticizing the progression system since back in August. And 343's response was basically 'nah, we're not gonna change it'.
Then the multiplayer launched, people started being "extremely whiny", and 343 suddenly changed tune and has since promised to fix the system while putting in bandaid fixes in the interim.
People whining has been making the game better, so I can't say I'm too bothered.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
So I was never a huge halo fan but with infinite it just seemed to click.me and a few of my friends play alot and often for rought 3 hours a day since launch....after becoming in love with the game I decide to join r/halo which to my shock it is non....stop...whining. Like I've seen communities dislike a game, but to the extent I see on the halo reddit was shocking. Halo infinite seems to be a super solid game that needs some improvement but I then had to double check if I was bugging for loving it. Is the halo community this whiny or is it just a weird circumstance? I was a big in the Modern Warfare 2019 community and even they werent as whiny about cold war as halo fans seem to be about the best FPS multiplayer game out there. So if any long time halo fan can catch me up...what going on?
It seems to be the normal reaction for anything gaming related. Love gaming, HATE the toxic nature of a large portion of gaming fans.

It is impossible to enjoy a game in today's world without some group somewhere looking to shit all over the experience and try to make you feel like an idiot for daring to enjoy it. It has to be exhausting to live that way.

Drewpee

Banned
People whining has been making the game better, so I can't say I'm too bothered.
Not true, there is a 100% chance that anything changed in the game will result in a complaint by someone somewhere. People complain because it is the thing to do online, an easy way to make themselves feel important.

If I was a developer I'd day screw gamer feedback and just make the game I want to make. Atleast that way you fail making what you want and not a Frankenstein version of what everybody thinks the game should be.

Sakura

Not true, there is a 100% chance that anything changed in the game will result in a complaint by someone somewhere. People complain because it is the thing to do online, an easy way to make themselves feel important.

If I was a developer I'd day screw gamer feedback and just make the game I want to make. Atleast that way you fail making what you want and not a Frankenstein version of what everybody thinks the game should be.
I'm talking strictly in terms of Halo Infinite. I somehow doubt the highly monetized F2P Multiplayer is the game that the devs themselves wanted to make, after all, they aren't the ones making money off of all the microtransactions.
And besides, a lot of the complaints (for this game) are accompanied by rational arguments and constructive feedback. So while it may come off as being "extremely whiny", the feedback for this game has been resulting in a better product.

twilo99

I had no idea so many people are concerned about all that stuff.

The core gameplay here is really great...

renzolama

343 is the whipping boy for every failure of the Xbox One during its console cycle, as far as the internet is concerned MCC was the worst thing to happen to humanity since the plague. People will be telling their grandchildren about it and the forever war they fought to punish the evil developers.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The reason infinite clicked for you and no other halo is the reason why we (old fans) cry about it.
Awesome! I didn’t like the original trilogy, Halo 4 was the first Halo I finished, loved it. Could Halo Infinite be among the best games of all time for me?

clarky

Gold Member
Awesome! I didn’t like the original trilogy, Halo 4 was the first Halo I finished, loved it. Could Halo Infinite be among the best games of all time for me?
Could be? who knows where the game will end up in a few years. Hopefully they stop listening and responding to the likes of reddit and build the game they want. Turned out pretty decent so far. Enjoy!

Ozriel

M$FT
let's only look at objective facts, and that should be enough to tell you why people are trashing 343i:

Halo Reach launched with more than 10 playlists and dozens of modes, one of which was a completely new one called Invasion, Firefight returned from ODST and was fleshed out like crazy

Halo Reach launched with hundreds of armor customization pieces, all of which could be unlocked by simply playing the game

Halo Reach launched WITH COOP and with a functioning Forge mode

Halo Reach launched with more maps

Halo Reach launched with a fully fledged custom game editor

Halo Reach launched with a detailed career stats tracker that had all your statistics available to see

now lets look at Infinite:

3 playlists with 8 game modes total

no coop at launch (need to wait 6 months)

no forge at launch (need to wait 9 months)

less maps than any Halo launch

customization extremely limited by design and highly monetized while still selling the campaign for 60€

custom game editor is EXTREMELY limited (we are talking worse than Halo 2) and broken

no career stats tracker or anything of the sort

all the people defending Infinite only have 3 arguments:
1: "bUT it'S FReE!!!"
2: "tHEy WiLL eVeNTUALly patCH it!!!"
3: "BuT THe gAMepLAY is GOOd!!!"

and the answers are simple:
1: no it is not! it is 60€/$ with a cut out and bastardised + unfinished MP
2: great! let's develop for 6 years, then delay for 12 months and still release an unfinished product!
3: the gameplay OF EVERY HALO IS GOOD... that is not an excuse for anything they are doing...
and which Halo has the best gameplay is a purely subjective thing. Some say Halo 3 is still king,
some love Reach, some even like the shitty Call of Halo 4 ways... and others liked the Power Rangers in Space Halo 5 gameplay

Comparing this to Halo Reach makes no damn sense.
Reach launched in a post Halo 3 world when the franchise was at its peak. Now, Battle Royale games and COD have captured that market and so 343 made the (right) call to make the MP F2P to try to capture as large a player base as possible. That in itself brings in a raft of MTX required to fund the game. Comparing included content between an F2P game and a paid game like Reach is sheer inanity.

Also, Infinite is supposed to bring a bigger, more expansive semi-open world campaign. The biggest In franchise history. That structure has made it much harder to include Co-op than what we had in Reach. And it’s perfectly understandable.
Forge delay is sad, but they’re clearly making it way more ambitious than anything that was in Reach.

There are well documented reasons why Infinite is launching the way it is. It’s not optimal, but I think people on that subreddit are just miserable whiners who just love to complain. Especially when 343 has made most of the gameplay changes the community has been requesting for years (removing fast Sprinting, for one)

Fredrik

Could be? who knows where the game will end up in a few years. Hopefully they stop listening and responding to the likes of reddit and build the game they want. Turned out pretty decent so far. Enjoy!
I’m not a multiplayer guy so I’m waiting for the campaign but I had a quick mp session where you should hold a ball that was surprisingly fun, and it was easy to see that the core gameplay is solid and it controls perfectly. So the important bits are there. But I’m worried about the exploration rewards, that’s something few devs know how to do well.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
let's only look at objective facts, and that should be enough to tell you why people are trashing 343i:

Halo Reach launched with more than 10 playlists and dozens of modes, one of which was a completely new one called Invasion, Firefight returned from ODST and was fleshed out like crazy

Halo Reach launched with hundreds of armor customization pieces, all of which could be unlocked by simply playing the game

Halo Reach launched with a detailed career stats tracker that had all your statistics available to see

customization extremely limited by design and highly monetized while still selling the campaign for 60€

custom game editor is EXTREMELY limited (we are talking worse than Halo 2) and broken

2: great! let's develop for 6 years, then delay for 12 months and still release an unfinished product!
3: the gameplay OF EVERY HALO IS GOOD... that is not an excuse for anything they are doing...
and which Halo has the best gameplay is a purely subjective thing. Some say Halo 3 is still king,
some love Reach, some even like the shitty Call of Halo 4 ways... and others liked the Power Rangers in Space Halo 5 gameplay

The breakdown you made is a good example of live services following the latter of “digital games cutting out the middle man are going to be cheaper for everyone”… instead of “imagine if you get the game with all the content you love plus years of additional content and features” you get less content at launch and then eventually the same content months to years later if the game has been successful enough (and some try to nickel and dime you in the meantime). A nice way to optimise development costs and keep people engaged.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We need to move on from entitled gamers losing their shit over everything.

is the game fun? Yes
is it perfect? No

is there much needed attention To certain aspects like content and season pass progression,? absolutely!

should people be able to talk about it notmally instead of acting like spoilt 5 year olds? Most definitely. Grow the fuck up or move onto something else to play imo. Fed up of overly negative bullshit. This game is far from battlefield 2042 levels of fucked or recycled COD mess.

Amaranty

Biggest issue with the game is with specific battlepass challenges and no option to play a gamemode separately.

People are leaving matches, because they didn't get the gamemode they wanted. Some challenges are so dumb, that it makes you hinder progress towards winning a match. For example, I got a challenge to get 3 kills with the pulse carbine. It's not a bad weapon really. It shreds shields really fast, but deals minimal damage to armor. The ideal setup would be to shred shields with carbine and then finish off the enemy with a kinetic weapon. The problem is that the last shot must come from pulse carbine to make progress on the challenge.

I love when people miss this point... if no one complained about anything, then nothing in these games would ever change in a positive direction.
People complaining about other people complaining is always deliciously ironic though.

Little Chicken

Gold Member
I don't really like the Halo community as a whole because the fans are so toxic.

I also think the hardcore Halo fans are the reason the series has barely evolved from the mid-2000s.

They really need to let go and allow 343's vision of modern Halo come into its own.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Multiplayer demonstrates a super tight game, with clean visuals and great gameplay. They nailed it. Campaign is going to be awesome.

MOTM

Banned
So I was never a huge halo fan but with infinite it just seemed to click. Me and a few of my friends play alot and often for roughly 3 hours a day since launch....after falling in love with the game I decide to join r/halo which to my shock it is non....stop...whining. Like I've seen communities dislike a game, but to the extent I see on the halo reddit was shocking. Halo infinite seems to be a super solid game that needs some improvement but I then had to double check if I was bugging for loving it. Is the halo community this whiny or is it just a weird circumstance? I was a big in the Modern Warfare 2019 community and even they werent as whiny about cold war as halo fans seem to be about the best FPS multiplayer game out there. So if any long time halo fan can catch me up...what going on?
Massive fan of Infinite and I hate multiplayer games. That’s how good the game is.

However the hardcore fans are some of the most low life fanboy groups in internet history.

Good thing the game is a smash hit so 343 knows it’s all relative and that the vast majority of gamers are having a blast.

TrebleShot

This is a game for man children and seemingly created by them also.
I don't mean to be rude or harsh but honestly that's how the community makes it seem, NOTHING is more important to them than Halo and how it "should be".

anthony2690

Banned
that right here is the issue, we are just accepting mediocrity... this launch is a disaster, but people like this right here are just like "yeah, whatever... they will patch it"
no... just stop. this launch is a joke compared to any Halo game ever. and every Halo game has good gameplay, that is not something special.

people not bending over and getting fucked by the AAA publishers is now pathetic to people like you... and hence we have the modern AAA landscape of unfinished games and "they will patch it later" mentality that lead to shitshows like Cyberpunk, GTA Trilogy and Battlefield 2042... and "but you don't have to buy the MTX stuff" that lead to shit like Battlefront 2

let's just ignore that every Halo since 3 had better features at launch, let's ignore objective facts! nah! all pathetic whiners! those pathetic whiners that want finished products that reach at least the level of polish and feature richness of their predecessors! NAH FUCK EM ALL!
The game hasn't launched broken though, it has also released in a beta state, what I imagine it will be in till may, whenever season 2 lands.

I would argue gameplay, server and stability wise it has launched better than most other shooters on the market over the years.

It is currently just lacking playlists and a few other things.

But the game itself is the honestly the most fun I've had in years when compared to many other fps full packages that I've paid £60/£70 for, when this is free, so it is a lot easier to be lenient on halo.

Hell, I find it very strange how angry or triggered people are getting over something they have got for free and has clearly been labeled as a beta.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Yeah the "should be" narrative never really fits with me. Companies doesn't owe you anything, and we doesn't owe them money. The game at the current state should stand its own ground and be fun.

Even after so much whining the playerbase is keeping strong on steam above 90K players and no dips. Means they were able to attract a lot of new players.

But complaints aren't unsubstantial. They are legit complaints and these companies on purpose test playerbase to see how much they can get away with. Progression system and Store IS broken and people should whine.

I haven't played halo since halo 3..... But it did have more modes, you could select what you wanted to play.... And I'm pretty sure there were loads more maps.

This one feels a bit barebones so I agree with the complaints. This doesn't feel like a game 6 years in the making.

SpokkX

They are indeed whiny

and VERY afraid of any change
If they decided we would still have only on visble weapon (halo ce pistol or halo
2 br) and play on blood gulch all the time with no sprint

NahaNago

I'm pretty sure it's just you. You already said you weren't a huge halo fan and that this new game clicked for you which makes it sound like the older games didn't do that. Plus communities tend to be whiny when it comes to new games and praise the older games.

Crew511A

Did those entitled bitches forget the game is free?
This is the mindset that's going to help 343 skate through this. Did you forget we're still paying full price for just the campaign, when before we used to get the campaign and multiplayer?

You also seem to be forgetting how bare bones the game is in terms of modes and maps. People have a right to be unhappy with this game.

I'm not a huge Halo fan but have played most of them throughout the years.

The amount of content in Halo MP is embarrassing when compared to EVERY other previous entry. Customization is an absolute shambles, game mode variety has completely gone.

Looking at reviews of the SP campaign, they also forgot how to design missions.

The game plays amazingly well, no doubt about that. But compared with all previous entries in the franchise, this game is severely and objectively lacking a TON of content.

P.S. Doesn't help matters they put a lot of that content (remember spending 30 mins customizing your spartan before even jumping into an MP match? feels so long ago) behind aggressive MTX.

Couple that with the new industry standard of using F2P as a shield; "But its free". Acting like the player is entitled for wanting to pay one launch price for all content, instead of being nickel and dimed at every corner, or being forced to play the way a battle pass demands you too.

Did those entitled bitches forget the game is free?
So free means good? Laughable take.

How is wanting to pay full price for a full game entitled?

How is expecting a franchise to continue its trend of content, that has been in place for 20 years entitled?

How is anyone who played any of the previous games, payed full price, promoted the game and built the community entitled, for wanting to be rewarded for thier brand loyalty? (or at the very least not get shit on).

One battle pass in Infinite is 10 bucks. Thats half the price of Halo MCC. And that's not you paying to unlock everything, thats you paying for the opportunity to unlock everything.....for that one single battle pass. You would have to do some real janky maths for that to work out as equivalent value.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
who framed roger rabbit crying GIF

So tired of the bitching and entitlement around this game. These people are actively trying to sabotage the game and I question their logic and motives.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Complaining is good to be honest, especially with a MP game.
Having said that, almost all the complaining i have seen is about the progression system, and battlepass, something i care little about so it doesnt really effect me.

RafterXL

Of course they are. The same fuckers whining about the same shit, over and over, throwing their hourly temper tantrums or long screes whenever the name Halo pops up. It's calculated as fuck.

We have a few of the clowns here, one of which was dumb enough to link his Reddit account, which *shockingly* is just him bitching and moaning about Halo ad nauseam like a little brat.

Like I said in the other thread, Infinite being universally praised, both multiplayer and now singleplayer, has broken these fools.

Dane

Because everything has to be extremized nowadays, you can't have a constructive criticism without calling everybody shit and death threats or even blame by association, and then the other side can't take constructive criticism as "whiny".

Game's good, but they should have delayed for a few months to have all the features as day one.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I dunno, I've been avoiding Halo ever since Halo 2 (in my opinion) tweaked everything I liked about Halo: CE into a game that was ever so subtly ruined. I've played more Halo Infinite than all entries since CE combined and consider myself back on board.

What really truly matters here is the core game. Whether it feels right, is balanced, guns feel good, MP/online actually works, and so on. In my opinion they did a great job here. It's genuinely Halo.

I looked briefly to try and understand why they had to close down the subreddit. I was pretty saddened to see the reason is mostly people bitching about cosmetics/progression. Man I don't even know how the progression system in the game works or what my XP supposedly does because I never cared. They gave me the MP I wanted for free, and in return the game comes with a few systems I could not possibly care any less about that you are free to totally ignore, that old Halo didn't even have at all to begin with.

Gaming community is a cesspool. These people have no lives to be bitching this hard about something like this.

As usual, all forms of criticism these days is instantly conflated with entitlement and hatred, rather than a necessary dialog between consumers and producers.

When another beloved franchise falls victim to predatory monetization, aiming to turn teenagers into profitable whales to be exploited, long-time supporters will rightfully speak up about it.

Sadly, many these days seem to think there are no limits, no lines not to be crossed, and will gleefully support not only borderline-criminal practices, but also praise and blindly support buggy and unfinished releases as if their life depends on it (see the Battlefield thread).

All I can hope for, since reasonable and fruitfull discussions seem to be off the table, is for this everything-is-monetizable bubble to burst, and burst hard, in the hopes we can go back to a healthy relationships between publishers, developers and consumers.

a lot of them are stuck in the "good old days" when Bungie made Halo. 343 could make the best game in the world and they'd still piss and moan because it's not Bungie.

i never got into the games until last gen when Halo 5 came out. maybe the Bungie games were good when they came out but i didn't think they were that special. I much prefered Halo 4 + 5. I'm not saying they are perfect games cause there definitely are flaws but i loved playing 4 + 5 and was hyped for 6 but due to the whining of the hardcore Halo mob it pressured 343 to ditch Halo 6 and what we've got now is Infinite. I'm excited for Infinite. Aint shitting on it...haven't played it but i do have it preordered.

they are a fickle bunch. they shat on 4 + 5 (especially 5) and cried for a more traditional Halo game and now it seems we're getting it they ain't happy. I shit you NOT but i have been seeing quite a lot of people hitting out with shit like "i actually quite enjoyed Halo 5. don't listen to the hate". seriously...after all that fucking crying they are saying Halo 5 is a good game now? fuck me.

Last edited:

Crew511A

So tired of the bitching and entitlement around this game. These people are actively trying to sabotage the game and I question their logic and motives.
My GT is Crew 511A. You can check and see I played a fair amount of MCC and H5. There's no sabotage. If you can't see that this game is sorely lacking content, I don't know what to tell you.

When I first started playing Infinite, I liked it so much, I bought the premium battle pass. What can I say? I'm a sucker for Reach stuff. But unless 343 gives people a reason to keep grinding, I can't see BP sales continuing at the rate they are now. Core gameplay is great, but I can only play the same 2 BTB maps so many times.

If you think people are cry babies for wanting a game that has equal content and variety compared to the original (20 fucking year old) game and its sequels; I question your logic and ability for critical comparison.

Top Bottom