• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Halo Infinite campaign worth it at 50% off?

Is 50% enough of a discount?

• Total voters

GHG

Gold Member
The thread title is the question essentially. It's currently 50% off on Steam and I'm wondering whether it's now worth a shot?

I don't care about the story (never have in this franchise) so all I care about is whether or not the gameplay and campaign structure make it worth my while at that price. Is it varied enough and is it well structured?

Steam reviews are mixed with a slight slant towards being on the positive end of the spectrum so this isn't an easy one to figure out. I've already refunded a game this sale (crysis remastered collection - they really fucked up by making those remasters based on the console versions, the suit controls and lack of freedom are a joke) so don't want to push it. I'm looking for a solid FPS with a good campaign to replace that.

Somehow this was Neogaf GOTY last year but yet this is still a question that needs asking.

So what do people think now a year later?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just get it on gamepass for a dollar. They let you choose PC gamepass and gamepass ultimate and one of those two should have a $1 deal going on for non-subscribers.

I played for a few hours but it was very workman like. It takes two hours to get to the open world. Then when you get there you realize that its basically the same shit we had back in Halo Combat Evolved but slightly bigger. Combat is the same. Grappling hook is good but didnt do much to change things up.

It isnt bad. It isnt great. It isnt a waste of time.

oji-san

Banned
I played it on Game Pass on release and would say yes, it does worth 30 bucks imo, i had lot of fun with it, also liked the story, the gameplay is very fun and it looks and runs very good on XSX.
Edit: Also the boss fights and those wanted mini boss or whatever they were called are excellent.

Last edited:
its basically the same shit we had back in Halo Combat Evolved but slightly bigger. Combat is the same.
This was the literal intention of the developers. They were going for Silent Cartographer: The Game.
Grappling hook is good but didnt do much to change things up.
Experiences may very, I suppose. The grappling hook was a game changer for me in combat. The ability to get vertical and quickly negotiate obstacles is also required on Heroic and above.

I enjoyed it. I don't really buy any FPS games, so I wouldn't have bought it at all, and really only played Halo 1 previously.

But the controls and grappling hook are top tier. Story is whatever. But there's definitely some fun to be had running around that world and getting in fights. I don't know if it's worth $30 to you personally though.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The campaign was up for numerous GOTY awards when it was launched last year. It's a lot of fun and its worth it at full price for fans, at 50% off its really a no-brainer.

Who cares about awards. And as a fan is was kinda fun but have no desire replaying it. I'd rather play CE's campaign for the thousands time. No diss. Taste is personal. The grappling hook was fun though (and needed)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tried it for a bit and it was quite average, so nah.

Who cares about awards. And as a fan is was kinda fun but have no desire replaying it. I'd rather play CE's campaign for the thousands time. No diss. Taste is personal. The grappling hook was fun though (and needed)
OP asked if the campaign was worth it at 50% off so I gave him reasons.

*shrug*

Topher

Gold Member
I think it is a good, not great game. The open world is far too empty and they had a number of missed opportunities with it. The high value targets, for example, could have been fully fleshed out side quests, but instead just another shallow "go kill those guys and get the weapon" mission. So for me, while I enjoyed playing it via Game Pass, I would need a significant discount to buy the game outright at this point since 343 isn't delivering on its Gaas promise.

I think it is a good, not great game. The open world is far too empty and they had a number of missed opportunities with it. The high value targets, for example, could have been fully fleshed out side quests, but instead just another shallow "go kill those guys and get the weapon" mission. So for me, while I enjoyed playing it via Game Pass, I would need a significant discount to buy the game outright at this point since 343 isn't delivering on its Gaas promise.
This is a very fair take. I'd have paid full price and not felt jipped since I love the series, but your gripes hit the nail on the head. The bones of the game are AAA top tier, with classic gameplay that feels just modern enough. The rest of it, while good, there are a lot of missed opportunities.

Roberts

OK, let's see:

1) Halo games were never really about the story, imo. I can hardly recall what happened in each of the games (except for Reach) and I played them all twice. That said, this one has a character referred to as Pilot who is, I think, the most interesting character in the franchise. He can easily be mistaken for somebody who's annoying because of his constant whining, but as the story goes on you start to understand him as a completely broken person drown deeply in sorrow and pain. It is kind of his story.

2) I prefer my open games to be in first perspective. It just feels more immersive that way and despite the fact that HI more or less has one biome and a bunch of samey interiors, my time in that world just felt more satisfying than most recent open world games. It really feels like you are in control of the character and can actually make the difference, one skirmish at a time. There are fun secret areas to be found and forts/bases to conquer (similar to Fracry, but more fun).

3) shooting mechanics are best in the business, I think. It just feels great, especially that little pop sound when you kill an enemy is strangely satisfying. And grappleshot is a fantastic addition works great in both traversal and shooting.

I think open world did wonders to Halo gameplay. Most open world games have a lot of side-story stuff that can screw up the pacing of the game. There is a lot of side stuff here but it all feels like part of your big mission and thus it never felt like you are wasting time.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
OP asked if the campaign was worth it at 50% off so I gave him reasons.

*shrug*

And I gave him my view. Shouldn't have quoted you perhaps because like I mentioned everyone has different taste and I respect that.

Just saying awards don't mean shit.

"Shrug?"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I enjoyed it initially, but it wore very thin with the same checkpoint after checkpoint in one biome of grunts and meat shields while the angry murder ape kept saying he was going to kill me over and over each time. Didn't even finish it yet after that from the last sale.

Bungie Halo was GOAT. Save your money.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
OK, let's see:

1) Halo games were never really about the story, imo. I can hardly recall what happened in each of the games (except for Reach) and I played them all twice. That said, this one has a character referred to as Pilot who is, I think, the most interesting character in the franchise. He can easily be mistaken for somebody who's annoying because of his constant whining, but as the story goes on you start to understand him as a completely broken person drown deeply in sorrow and pain. It is kind of his story.

2) I prefer my open games to be in first perspective. It just feels more immersive that way and despite the fact that HI more or less has one biome and a bunch of samey interiors, my time in that world just felt more satisfying than most recent open world games. It really feels like you are in control of the character and can actually make the difference, one skirmish at a time. There are fun secret areas to be found and forts/bases to conquer (similar to Fracry, but more fun).

3) shooting mechanics are best in the business, I think. It just feels great, especially that little pop sound when you kill an enemy is strangely satisfying. And grappleshot is a fantastic addition works great in both traversal and shooting.

I think open world did wonders to Halo gameplay. Most open world games have a lot of side-story stuff that can screw up the pacing of the game. There is a lot of side stuff here but it all feels like part of your big mission and thus it never felt like you are wasting time.

Sure but It was one biodome with little variation regarding vibe scenery and so forth. Copy paste bases and such...

Agree about the gunplay and openworld somewhat

Last edited:

35cent

I'd go for it if I were you. The enjoyed the campaign so getting it at half price is a no brainer in my opinion.

TheShocker

It’s a good story. It ignores some of the stuff from 4 & 5, which is weird.

The open world feels….incomplete, which honestly is the theme for Halo Infinite as a whole.

There is a whole section of the map that you can see in game and in the tac map that was clearly built out but had the content cut.

The biomes are pretty much all the same.

So I wouldn’t have the highest expectations. The blueprint and basis of the game looks great, but 343i is just fucked up.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
while the angry murder ape kept saying he was going to kill me over and over each time.

De Acuerdo Agree GIF

ungalo

I saw the game at 3 euros on Xbox lol. Currently it's 20 on the french amazon. 30 euros/dollars on steam seems a lot.

Otherwise i had some fun on the campaign, i'm not going to pretend the opposite. But as an open world it's really bare-boned. Like, really. Even a game like Rage 2 has more things going on.

Last edited:
I thought the campaign wasn’t varied at all. I was expexting a snow land and maybe even a lava land but it all stays the same

Robb

Gold Member
I’d say yes, found the campaign very enjoyable. One of the better Halo campaigns, the open world is a lot of fun.

hinch7

Its fun if uninspired and is definately a rushed game. Otherwise Infinite's campaign is a well polished and solid title, albiet a bit of a lazy sequel.

The story is indeed rubbish and you won't get most of it without reading/watching Halo stuff and playing the older games. But since you don't care for that and gameplay being pretty great.. I'd say its probably worth it.

Last edited:
Gafs 2021 goty is more than worth it at 50% or it’s price. Tho you’d better off doing one month of gamepass, playing it then unsubscribing.

Roberts

Sure but It was one biodome with little variation regarding vibe scenery and so forth. Copy paste bases and such...

Agree about the gunplay and openworld somewhat
Would I be more happy if it had more than one biome? Sure. I think they could have added a bit more varied vegetation and play around with snow and stuff like that, but at the end of the day, did it really take away from my enjoyment of the game? I don't think so. I just accepted that the game take place on a tiny portion of the ring that is artificially built and thus not exactly full of variety.

GHG

Gold Member
Opinions seem as mixed here as they are on Steam so think I'll wait it out until its even cheaper then.

Won't bother with gamepass, would rather buy something else for the money that is actually going to be worth my time at the price.

Last edited:

Jaybe

I’d recommend the game at $15 or less. Better to do a month sub to PC game pass instead and play a couple other games while you’re in there as well like Plague tale requiem. Then buy it cheap later if you enjoyed it and want to own it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom