• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Switch another Wii, or will their next console also be as successful or close?

Will the Switch be a temporary success like the Wii?

• Yes

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 104 71.2%

• Total voters

NinjaBoiX

I don’t think it’ll be as successful, Switch has been an absolute monster. Seems like lighting in a bottle.

That said, I agree with others and think they’ll just release another more powerful version, that will be very popular. I just doubt lightning will strike twice for them.

There is no possible scenario where their next gen console is a failure.
Switch 2 will be backwards compatible and will have enough power to ensure they get ports of next gen games for the entire generation. That’s a winning combination.

We should be looking at something capable of pushing PS4 level visuals, with a more powerful CPU than the PS4.

Will it even be called switch 2 though? This is Nintendo we're talking about here. They never do the obvious.

StormCell

No. Portable gaming is on a rise right now, actually usable, and not a random fad that lasts for awhile. This usability won't go away, at least not in the near future.

With the Wii, they didn't know what a successor should look like. With the switch 2....all they need is a more powerful switch, with a couple of upgrades and done, people will buy in droves
This feels like a pretty simple path, and yet they are reportedly so snake bitten by the 3DS and Wii U that they are really unsure about this path.

Switch Pro or 2 will be a newer Nvidia ARM-based console.
Nintendo can ditch the whole generation stuff and release a new version Switch every 3-4 years - only-handheld, better screen and so on (minor upgrades). Cost efficient for everyone.

One generation that just keeps on giving - both handheld and stationary.
Easy to develop for and extremely affordable development kits.
This is basically what I think they should do. This Switch generation is so successful -- so why stop it? Never stop it. If Switch OLED is proof of anything, it's that Switch owners like to buy fancier Switches. It's time for a Switch S1, S2, S3... S10, S10+, S20... lol Just keep pumping out incrementally better hardware that happens to play the older aging library of games to their most optimal and be done with it.

If nintendo tried some sort of gimmick instead of just a switch 2, i have a feeling it will bomb.
You know they are going with at least one new gimmick. It cannot just be a Super Switch.

I don't believe most people play the switch as a portable console.

I think there's always space for a home model, without the undocking, the issue for them is that that realization might not be in their interest, they can't charge more for a console with less stuff unless they make it more powerful.

Switch lite goes the opposite way, and I'm unsure that's their biggest seller, perhaps because people like to play stuff on TV.

and fix the joycon drift once and for all.
I think you are right about this. Currently, Nintendo has the Switch Lite model (handheld-only) and the Switch OLED. Going forward, I don't see why they couldn't with a handheld-only (cheap) model, a true Switch 2 model (includes dock), and even beefier home-only model. The way I look at this, many many Switch owners have already purchased more than one Switch, and a significant portion have bought at least 3 Switches (but sold off their first Switch, etc). I would bet $100 a home-only Switch 2 with beefier tech that is "more comparable" to PS5 could sell ~20 million units. I can imagine quite a few hardcore Switch 2 owners owning both handheld-capable Switch 2 and a home-only. It's basically money sitting on the table...

There's definitely a chance of the Switch 2 being a failure. Or at least dropping off like the 3DS did after the DS. There's been reports that Nintendo is very concerned about their next console. And I can see why.

The 3DS was the natural progression of DS, yet sold half as much as the DS. The Wii U followed the same market strategy as the Wii (cheaper underpowered HW compared to the competition, with a controller gimmick to hook in casuals), yet was a complete failure. Switch 2 isn't going to have the same draw as the FIRST hybrid system as the Switch had.

It does help that they are focusing all of their SW efforts onto one system. Still, if it's just more of the same, I don't see it being as big as of a hit as the OG.
The problems that faced 3DS and Wii U are fairly well understood by most, now. Nintendo maybe still scratching their heads about Wii U, but in the case of that hardware it simply lacked utility in the eyes of most consumers who saw the thing. First, it wasn't well understood if it was a Wii add-on or a new thing entirely. Second, even I didn't really want the thing, although I did cave in and buy it. As I said, Wii U lacked utility. Off-screen play was novelty, but it wasn't the way I played most of the games, so it was unnecessary.

The 3DS was priced too high for what it was.

Nintendo's jumping the shark is going to be in explaining to Switch owners why they need Switch 2. I think about my inlaws whenever I think about Nintendo's path to success with a Switch successor. How the heck did they sell my inlaws 2 Switches, BotW, Tropical Freeze, Mario Parties, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, and Animal Crossing?? This is why Switch has sold 111 million units. They also owned a Wii but never bought a Wii U.

The first step ought to be in showing Switch owners the current library will be play best on the new Switch 2 -- every game, day one, new and improved straight out of the box. Sell your Switch. Buy Switch 2. Continue to play...

Well Nintendo. Pretty sure they will fuck up the next console , that’s Nintendo cycle
I'm pretty sure they will too, just like they've already fucked up selling me a Switch Pro. All I've wanted since 2019 is to play my god dang BotW and XC2 with less blurry and better enemy draw distances. It was so god dang simple... and yet it twas nought.

Trying to predict Nintendo is a fool's errand.
It really is. At the end of the day, selling a beefed up Switch 2 is the goal, but there must also be something new that draws people in. I like the PS5 rumble and triggers and feel like that's a nice gimmick, so now Nintendo can't do it I guess. They could always ditch the dock and allow for TV play while still utilizing the Switch's screen for off TV stuff -- that's new and it would also meld well with a home-only Switch 2 box for improved play.

I'm just not confident in their ability to deliver an iterative successful product while at the same time pitching a new gimmick that is core to the play experience -- furthermore, this industry abhors gimmicks that create new and different experiences the other hardwares don't have. lol

Kokoloko85

Depends what they do.

Hybrid = they will be fine. Probably not as successful as the Switch. Maybe a bit more though.

Home Console only = Wii U, N64, Gamecube scenario. Only real Nintendo fans like myself will buy it. It won’t be good for Nintendo

Boy bawang

I doubt that it will be that docked, we are looking at a successor that may not have a complete advantage over the X!/PS4 which were outdated in 2013.

This is not a rumor, it's literally from a hack; it comes from Nvidia themselves. This is as close as you can get from an actual info. The GPU has 12 SM; if it is clocked like the current switch is, you'll get about 2.3TF. We don't know about the ram, the CPU etc... But for the GPU, we can have a pretty clear idea.

And once again, compared to a PS5, that would be perfectly in line with what the switch was on release compared to the PS4.

Rubytux

Neo Member
Not sure if that’s a good way of looking at it though. Same argument could be made for Sony and despite that the PS4 generation was considered a big success for them.

PS1 - ~102M
PS2 - ~155M
PS3/PSP - ~169M
PS4/PSV- ~130M

Despite Switch not reaching 250M users it’s still as profitable as the Wii/DS combo was for Nintendo back in the day:
E0sA43sWUAIdj00

The same probably holds true for Sony since PS3 was in the red almost the entire generation.

Total users have definitely decreased overall, but they’re both doing more with less it seems.

Ah! "It doesnt sound like a sucess"? really?
Switch era is going to be, by far, the most profitable console generation yet for Nintendo.

Nintendo's historical annual net income since 1981
ETUm1JQ.png

Profits are only part of the story. Go look for record profits of Microsoft under Steve Ballmer, but at the same time going into oblivion in almost every new battle vs Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon.

Now under it's new CEO and its focus in the cloud has a new key business to show.

Nintendo might be heading into the same oblivion, they kind of left the Home Market, the Mobile market is growing faster than portable and young people prefer buying a Mobile For playing than a portable console.

Nintendo needs to focus its resources like Tencent, diversify them and look for new blue oceans.

David B

An Idiot
If I were Nintendo I would for sure do a Switch 1080p slightly more powerful handheld. As the current Switch handheld only does 720p. Release the new Switch handheld 1080p. Than another year release a new console capable of 4K. So continue the Switch up powered a little handheld and than release a new console in 2024 and 2025.

This is not a rumor, it's literally from a hack; it comes from Nvidia themselves. This is as close as you can get from an actual info. The GPU has 12 SM; if it is clocked like the current switch is, you'll get about 2.3TF. We don't know about the ram, the CPU etc... But for the GPU, we can have a pretty clear idea.

And once again, compared to a PS5, that would be perfectly in line with what the switch was on release compared to the PS4.

No it wouldn't it would be worse.

Mozza

My guess , Nintendo will keep making switch systems the next 20 years minimum , it’s a perfect fit for nintendos philosophy.
Well I can't honestly see them dipping their toe back into the core power console market, to get at best a 50% share of around 180 million consoles every generation (and a fortune in expenditure just to secure it), going their own way has been much better for them since the Ganecube, hell even the Wii U/3DS generation netted them around 88 million consoles and 490 million units of software.

Nintendo must be over the moon with the Switch with a 111.8 million hardware units and 863.59 pieces of software sold, and still going strong 5 plus years in.

Last edited:

tkscz

The pandemic helped push the Switch, so I can't see a successor being as popular, but won't be it's Wii U to the Wii as long as they understand how to separate them. They managed it with the Gameboy line, so I'm sure they can do it.

Mozza

The pandemic helped push the Switch, so I can't see a successor being as popular, but won't be it's Wii U to the Wii as long as they understand how to separate them. They managed it with the Gameboy line, so I'm sure they can do it.
The pandemic helped video games as a whole, people stuck at home with little to do etc etc, but the Switch has been in demand since day one, so it's success can't be solely down to a year of inflated sales. And any such suggestion is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Mozza

I don’t think it’ll be as successful, Switch has been an absolute monster. Seems like lighting in a bottle.

That said, I agree with others and think they’ll just release another more powerful version, that will be very popular. I just doubt lightning will strike twice for them.
Lightning in a bottle is more suited to the Wii and DS generation, both consoles getting in at the ground floor with new tech, both motion and touch controls at this point were in their infancy, and Nintendo were offering a very good value option which not only catered for their more traditional market, but also the casuals as well, no wonder many had jumped ship or simply moved on when their successors arrived, with all the more affordable tablets and advances in smartphone tech etc.

The Switch is a totally different proposition, building on the success of Nintendo's handheld business, while at the same time offering a more traditional console experience at the same time, in essence the Wii U's concept was not all that different, but in the way it differed ie the tablet being the controller tethered to the main console was it's major drawback, the Switch has no such limitations and even though many may play docked the ability to take the console and pretty much play anywhere is a massive feature, particularly to families like mine where the T.V tends to get mainly used for it's primary purpose. I have a Series X and just the other day was wanting to use it while my other half was watching T.V, and then realized it was something I could not do, the Switch has just made the feature second nature.

Nintendo have been very shrewd with the Switch format, and have managed what I would have thought was impossible, which is to bring new customers to console gaming, but do it using more traditionally controlled video games, and has got them to buy lots of them. also the console has avoided the rapid drop off in sales like the WII as the more casual gamers abandoned the console. another great example of this are the Mario galaxy games, the firs one on the Wii sold around 13.7 million copies as it was heavily promoted with a motion controlled aspect, but in reality was as traditional platformer with a few motion controls thrown in, hence the second game only managing around 7 million sales, Mario Odyssey on the Switch has sold around 24 million copies as a traditional controlled game, and pretty much all Nintendo's franchises have performed their best sales wise on the format.

Mobile tech is getting better and more powerful all the time, Nintendo's partnership with Nvidia is key to their ongoing success, a new Switch model with more power and still able to play all existing Switch software, while at the same time migrating their online services and e-Shop is all they need to do, as well keeping those great selling games coming.

Last edited:

Mozza

Not sure it would matter all that much even before we know all the details, the Switch is in it's own marketplace and therefore not competing directly with either Sony or Microsoft. Of course people cite third party support, bit looking at the software sales figures Nintendo are doing fine with their own stuff, and the indie titles will always see a lot of releases on the console to fill in the gaps.

Boy bawang

If you wish to talk about it without just guessing based on your past traumas with Nintendo, you can just download NVN2 and check the feature set of the GPU. Then, you can do the math for 1536 cuda cores (12 SMs) and assume relatively low clocks if the process used is Samsung's 8nm (which would be a very conservative choice by Nintendo/Nvidia). You'll get about 2TF, upon which you can stack DLSS to get a ballpark estimation of the docked performance of the next console.
If Series S didn't exist, Nintendo would be pretty far from the other consoles. But Microsoft did a solid to Nintendo by releasing the underpowered Series S, and the next Switch shouldn't be too far off from a GPU perspective.
RAM, CPU etc are up in the air, though we can make educated guesses.

Woopah

Improving third party support has been a big focus for Nintendo and, while they continue to make progress in Japan, their progress in the West has stalled somewhat. Adding enough power to please Western publishers would help alleviate that.

If you wish to talk about it without just guessing based on your past traumas with Nintendo, you can just download NVN2 and check the feature set of the GPU. Then, you can do the math for 1536 cuda cores (12 SMs) and assume relatively low clocks if the process used is Samsung's 8nm (which would be a very conservative choice by Nintendo/Nvidia). You'll get about 2TF, upon which you can stack DLSS to get a ballpark estimation of the docked performance of the next console.
If Series S didn't exist, Nintendo would be pretty far from the other consoles. But Microsoft did a solid to Nintendo by releasing the underpowered Series S, and the next Switch shouldn't be too far off from a GPU perspective.
RAM, CPU etc are up in the air, though we can make educated guesses.

You're literally guessing and don't know.

We have no idea what choices Nintendo will make with the hardware outside the GPU. Assuming that they are going to go for the high-end doesn't make sense historically. They may, but I think it's more likely they'll go for higher profit margins with a lower config that won't put it very far in execution. That's generally their MO.

Improving third party support has been a big focus for Nintendo and, while they continue to make progress in Japan, their progress in the West has stalled somewhat. Adding enough power to please Western publishers would help alleviate that.

They always had some Japanese third party support in Japan for their handhelds, which grew after the DS. For western developers Nintendo always gives them a reason to either not support them, or only support them temporarily, usually near the start of their console cycle. With Nintendo no longer interested in having a powerful home console which they abandoned with the Wii U, I don't really see anyway for Nintendo to improve on that front.

What may help is with the Switch 2 they create a console-only model like they did for portable-only with Switch Lite. Have it be stronger than a docked Switch 2, and make it so it's easy for developers to have the games downscale, that way they'll play when in portable mode too without too many sacrifices. But unless that console-only model is as strong as a Series S that plan may not do much to improve western support either.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Comes down to competition really, if there is an xbox or sony portable hybrid, switch 2 isn't nearly as popular as a result. It's a given. Having no portable competition for years has been a huge benefit to Nintendo.
Steam deck doesn't count unless they can really up the compatibility and build more units, and hit that magic $299 price.

Fbh

But it's also true that Skyward Sword released when the Wii was all but dead too. I think we'll see in the next two financial reports on where the software and hardware sales are heading.

But that's exactly my point.

The Wii had an explosive early success but it never managed to generate much interest beyond the 3 or 4 big games that appealed to hyper casual audiences (Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Wii Fit and New Super Mario). Nintendo had to change tactics instead of releasing a straightforward Wii 2 because they realized the primary Wii audience was ok just owning 2 games and didn't have any interest in periodically dropping $60 on new games (much less more traditional games like Zelda).

Meanwhile 5 years into the Switch it's still doing great. Arceus sold like 13 million units and even Kirby sold like 2 million units in 2 weeks. Switch has been a sustained success story with an active user base that continues buying massive amounts of software even 5 years into the life cycle of the system.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Not sure it would matter all that much even before we know all the details, the Switch is in it's own marketplace and therefore not competing directly with either Sony or Microsoft. Of course people cite third party support, bit looking at the software sales figures Nintendo are doing fine with their own stuff, and the indie titles will always see a lot of releases on the console to fill in the gaps.

Agreed. Even 3rd party support has been fairly impressive. Getting stuff like Doom, Dying Light, No Man's Sky Witcher, Civilization 6(which came to Switch even before other consoles) and quite a bit of AA titles(some exclusive or timed exclusive even) from Japanese companies like Capcom, Tecmo Koei, Square, Sega/Atlus, etc., Is far different than the Wii U generation.

During the Wii U, some lackluster 3rd party support existed briefly the 1st year and completely evaporated leaving only 1st party software(with long droughts) and indie games. Once both Western and Japanese companies saw the unexpected success the Switch was having, many jumped on board in year 2 or so.

I don't see that changing much once Nintendo releases a more powerful successor.

Celine

Profits are only part of the story. Go look for record profits of Microsoft under Steve Ballmer, but at the same time going into oblivion in almost every new battle vs Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon.

Now under it's new CEO and its focus in the cloud has a new key business to show.

Nintendo might be heading into the same oblivion, they kind of left the Home Market, the Mobile market is growing faster than portable and young people prefer buying a Mobile For playing than a portable console.

Nintendo needs to focus its resources like Tencent, diversify them and look for new blue oceans.
What are you talking about?
In the console game business Nintendo is outprofitting all the other console manufacturers and Switch is going to become one of the most popular console ever (if not the best selling one).
All Nintendo game franchises, that is Nintendo's bread and butter, are reaching a new peak level of popularity, never before seen.
All KPIs point to Switch being an incredibly successful console generation for Nintendo.

I think you are utterly confused if you think Nintendo have left the home console market.
What's preventing Nintendo to release a game that target the TV sets like Ring Fit Adventure? Absolutely nothing!
That's the benefit of the hybrid approach, the console is already designed to adapt to different playing styles (TV mode, tabletop mode, handheld mode).
Sure a hybrid design can only work by compromising the three modes but Nintendo thought that by mid '10s the tech was matured enough to allow a hybrid console whose compromises didn't matter much for the mass market and in turn the flexibility introduced would be attractive for a vast number of consumers (and for Nintendo itself, that could unify the software development).
Basically Nintendo bet heavily that the old paradigm consisting in game systems being classified by the form factor (TV game system, tabletop game system, handheld game system) was becoming obsolete.
Unlike the bets Microsoft have done under Ballmer, Nintendo this time around read correctly the new emerging trends.

Nintendo had to change tactics instead of releasing a straightforward Wii 2 because they realized the primary Wii audience was ok just owning 2 games and didn't have any interest in periodically dropping $60 on new games (much less more traditional games like Zelda).

I always find it fascinating everyone keeps forgetting the Wii u existed lol, they did have a Wii 2, they thought Wii u was going to bring back at least some of those buyers with the motion control backwards compatibility and the tablet.

Meanwhile 5 years into the Switch it's still doing great. Arceus sold like 13 million units and even Kirby sold like 2 million units in 2 weeks. Switch has been a sustained success story with an active user base that continues buying massive amounts of software even 5 years into the life cycle of the system.

That software is due to the handheld side not the console side, and then both in combination.

In fact, when you remove handheld games, or games configured for handheld play from the Switches best seller list and only focus on consoles games, the Wii actually sold more top software than the Switch, even if you cut Wii sports sales in half. You can check the lists out yourself, when you remove those the Wii has 38 games that sold over 2 million compared to 29 for the Switch, and 5 of those are debatable that may drop the Switch down lower but I kept them in. That's less than a console that had it's top 4 games sell over 183 million units which was almost more than all the rest of the Wiis best sellers combined.

The big reason why the Switches software sales are better is because of the handheld or mechanically adjusted for portable play games, everyone knows this since it's not a suprise, the Switch was intended to combine the two together after all. However, when focusing on the console half of the console, it's doing worse than what the Wii did. If portable wasn't there to help the Switch out with much of the portable audience buying many of those console games, it would have performed even worse.

This is why I do not believe that a console-only Switch model, like the Switch Lite is a portable only model, would work although I expect it would do better than Wii U if priced correctly.

But back to the point, using Skyward Sword is a poor comparison between Switch and Wii sales because Skyward Sword sold it's surprisingly high numbers on a console that was all but dead at the time. A console that had higher software sales than the Switch for the console half of the Switches games.

Celine

Agreed. Even 3rd party support has been fairly impressive. Getting stuff like Doom, Dying Light, No Man's Sky Witcher, Civilization 6(which came to Switch even before other consoles) and quite a bit of AA titles(some exclusive or timed exclusive even) from Japanese companies like Capcom, Tecmo Koei, Square, Sega/Atlus, etc., Is far different than the Wii U generation.

During the Wii U, some lackluster 3rd party support existed briefly the 1st year and completely evaporated leaving only 1st party software(with long droughts) and indie games. Once both Western and Japanese companies saw the unexpected success the Switch was having, many jumped on board in year 2 or so.
Switch third-party support is indeed underrated by many.
Probably has to do with the slow support at the beginning and by the lack of many tentpole third-party franchises like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto (GTAV in specific) and EA sports games (with the exception of FIFA crappy annual legacy editions).
However the number of third-party games on e-shop is absolutely massive and it's guarantee to surpass 10 thousands by the end.
Even the number of physical releases by third-party publishers is going to hit record number for a Nintendo console, it's already obvious by looking at the trend.
It's also easy to predict that Switch will end up, among Nintendo consoles, with the most total software sold (will happen within the current fiscal year), the most first-party software sold (already happened) and the most third-party software sold.

67OLNIx.jpg

Boy bawang

You're literally guessing and don't know.

What part is unclear to you in the sentence "hack of Nvidia"?
Once again, you can download yourself nvn2, and you can calculate like the big boy you are a range of possible performances for the GPU depending on the frequency. It's really not that difficult.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Switch third-party support is indeed underrated by many.
Probably has to do with the slow support at the beginning and by the lack of many tentpole third-party franchises like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto (GTAV in specific) and EA sports games (with the exception of FIFA crappy annual legacy editions).
However the number of third-party games on e-shop is absolutely massive and it's guarantee to surpass 10 thousands by the end.
Even the number of physical releases by third-party publishers is going to hit record number for a Nintendo console, it's already obvious by looking at the trend.
It's also easy to predict that Switch will end up, among Nintendo consoles, with the most total software sold (will happen within the current fiscal year), the most first-party software sold (already happened) and the most third-party software sold.

67OLNIx.jpg
True, but honestly how many of these titles are budget mobile / steam like throwaways? Browsing the eShop (not that PSN is free from crap) there is tons of weird stuff making finding games hard.

This is not to say that Switch is not getting games, I have way way waaaay more than I ever thought about having on the console :D.

Last edited:

Celine

True, but honestly how many of these titles are budget mobile / steam like throwaways? Browsing the eShop (not that PSN is free from crap) there is tons of weird stuff making finding games hard.

This is not to say that Switch is not getting games, I have way way waaaay more than I ever thought about having on the console :D.
Absolutely, there are a ton of low effort games on eShop and the economics kind of work out because there is little to no draw back with digital distribution.
With retail releases is a bit different because retailers get a cut and because if a product do not sell then publishers usually eat up part of the losses (price reduction to dispose the unsold invetory) thus it's quite interesting witnessing in the era of the demise of physical games that Switch is going to become the Nintendo console with the biggest number of physical releases.

Last edited:

drganon

If it's backwards compatible, has a decent price and closer power wise to its competitors ( obviously it won't be as powerful) then I don't see why it won't be successful. Worst case scenario, it ends up like the 3ds, successful but not as successful as the previous device.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i hope Nintendo see some sense and go with a simple Switch 2 but no doubt we'll get the Ooh-Wii-Oo Switcheroo 2

i like Nintendo for trying whacky shit but calm the fuck down. Switch is a huge success and is on track to become #3 best selling console of all time behind the DS and PS2. Shit, depending on how long they support Switch there is that chance they could go to #1.

Don't fuck it up. Just make a more powerful Switch with DLSS and same or better battery life, slap a 2 on it, and let it play Switch (1) games. Sorted.

If it's backwards compatible, has a decent price and closer power wise to its competitors ( obviously it won't be as powerful) then I don't see why it won't be successful. Worst case scenario, it ends up like the 3ds, successful but not as successful as the previous device.
The Office Reaction GIF by NETFLIX
That 70S Show Lol GIF by Laff
Joe Biden Reaction GIF
Donald Trump Laugh GIF by Election 2020

Tg89

Nah. Switch is a legit good console with great games and better utility.

Wii was a shovelware machine that got big off a gimmick.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Going by their trend, the next console won’t be as big as the Switch.

But their console after that will be a monster probably.

Last edited:
What part is unclear to you in the sentence "hack of Nvidia"?
Once again, you can download yourself nvn2, and you can calculate like the big boy you are a range of possible performances for the GPU depending on the frequency. It's really not that difficult.

You are now acting silly, you don't know, and ignored the rest of my post focusing on only one aspect of the hardware ignoring the parts of it you don't know about. The hardware isn't only going to have a Nvidia GPU in it, what Nintendo does with the rest of the hardware will determine how powerful or effective it is in execution. It's really not that difficult.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

We don't know about the ram, the CPU etc... But for the GPU, we can have a pretty clear idea.
You are now acting silly, you don't know, and ignored the rest of my post focusing on only one aspect of the hardware ignoring the parts of it you don't know about. The hardware isn't only going to have a Nvidia GPU in it, what Nintendo does with the rest of the hardware will determine how powerful or effective it is in execution. It's really not that difficult.

Literally my first message on the topic. Like you say, it's not that difficult, but you're obviously struggling.

As for the CPU at least, there aren't many options. It's either an A78 hexacore with high clocks or an octocore with conservative clocks.

Finally, Nvidia's engineer aren't retards and they won't make a 12SMs GPU to gimp it with the rest.

Anyway, you're talking about something you obviously don't know much about; you probably didn't even know about the hack and nvn2. I'm done being charitable.

Literally my first message on the topic. Like you say, it's not that difficult, but you're obviously struggling.

As for the CPU at least, there aren't many options. It's either an A78 hexacore with high clocks or an octocore with conservative clocks.

Finally, Nvidia's engineer aren't retards and they won't make a 12SMs GPU to gimp it with the rest.

Anyway, you're talking about something you obviously don't know much about; you probably didn't even know about the hack and nvn2. I'm done being charitable.

No you are talking about something you LITERALLY don't know anything about, and keep going back to the same dead end ignoring what I actually posted. I am talking about the console as a whole, you are speaking of the ONLY known part of it. You can't seem to understand this for some reason. What NINTENDO does for the rest of the machine will impact how things are executed, Nvidia has nothing to do with it beyond what they provided. You have know knowledge of the rest of the machine. Nintendo is historically known for gimping their own capable hardware so it wouldn't surprise me if it happens again, but we will have to see how that turns out when whatever they name the successor releases.

Last edited:

Woopah

They always had some Japanese third party support in Japan for their handhelds, which grew after the DS. For western developers Nintendo always gives them a reason to either not support them, or only support them temporarily, usually near the start of their console cycle. With Nintendo no longer interested in having a powerful home console which they abandoned with the Wii U, I don't really see anyway for Nintendo to improve on that front.

What may help is with the Switch 2 they create a console-only model like they did for portable-only with Switch Lite. Have it be stronger than a docked Switch 2, and make it so it's easy for developers to have the games downscale, that way they'll play when in portable mode too without too many sacrifices. But unless that console-only model is as strong as a Series S that plan may not do much to improve western support either.
They did have Japanese third party support before, but it hasn't been as strong as it is now since the SNES days.

In the West, the Switch support was held back by people not knowing if it could a be a success. A significantly more powerful Switch 2 would not suffer from this concern.

In the West, the Switch support was held back by people not knowing if it could a be a success. A significantly more powerful Switch 2 would not suffer from this concern.

No it wasn't, it was because western developers never see a reason to focus on a Nintendo console. A more powerful Switch 2 is still going to be weaker than PC, PS5, XBS, and all 3 of those platforms give more room for third party to breath. Switch actually started out with better western support than the Wii U.

Tams

Gold Member
It's very hard to predict what the next 'gimmick' (I've never considered them gimmicks, mind) they might use will be. And it's hard to tell what might capture the public's imagination.

Nintendo do have plenty of routes to take though. The most obvious is something more powerful. The technology is not already there, it's very well established. Upscaling too could serve them well. All of that though, is not something new or exciting. Things like even better rumble and analogue triggers are in this group too.

Other options include:
  • a computer in the dock - something like an eGPU (and if this would end up not selling well, they could safely drop it)
  • better stylus support making it a go-to amateur artists device - they don't have resistive displays anymore, so something else like Wacom EMR (yes, it can be had cheaply)
  • wireless 'docking' - they literally have the tech already (modified Wi-Fi) from the Wii U
  • VR - not really there yet, tbh
  • Rollable/foldable displays - the cost is likely too much for now, but with it they could go the full tablet route and go back to 'dual screens' - also would go well with Wacom EMR
  • Motion sensors, perhaps with a wearable - there really don't seem to have been many improvements in recent years
In terms of other projects, I'd like them to come out with a watch. They've wanted to get more into fitness/wellbeing for years now and have had all sorts of random wearable things, mostly pedometers. This could be tied into a console, perhaps even intrinsically if the sensors are good enough for gameplay.

Last edited:

Woopah

No it wasn't, it was because western developers never see a reason to focus on a Nintendo console. A more powerful Switch 2 is still going to be weaker than PC, PS5, XBS, and all 3 of those platforms give more room for third party to breath. Switch actually started out with better western support than the Wii U.
They don't need to focus on Switch 2, just include it in their plans. The expected large userbase and strong software sales should be enough to get western publishers to increase their support (outside of EA).

They don't need to focus on Switch 2, just include it in their plans. The expected large userbase and strong software sales should be enough to get western publishers to increase their support (outside of EA).

We have way too much historical evidence against Nintendo on this issue, the problem is western developers don't want to deal with them, and their hardware being much weaker than the home consoles doesn't help fix that. Switch has been around since 2017, why do you think the western hardware support it had earlier decreased so much? Couldn't they want to ride the software sales of a portable hybrid console that recently hit 111 million units sold? Why would you think the Switch 2 is when the support will increase but now NOW when the machine is selling very well?

What will happen with Switch 2, if that is even what it's going to be, is the same as every other Nintendo console, some support early, and then lip service support here and there for the rest of its life. Nintendo has made no effort to change their western support deficiency since the Gamecube, there is no reason to believe that Nintendo doing nothing and just releasing another Switch will improve support on its own given the years of evidence that never worked before.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
We have way too much historical evidence against Nintendo on this issue, the problem is western developers don't want to deal with them, and their hardware being much weaker than the home consoles doesn't help fix that. Switch has been around since 2007, why do you think the western hardware support it had earlier decreased so much? Couldn't they want to ride the software sales of a portable hybrid console that recently hit 111 million units sold? Why would you think the Switch 2 is when the support will increase but now NOW when the machine is selling very well?

What will happen with Switch 2, if that is even what it's going to be, is the same as every other Nintendo console, some support early, and then lip service support here and there for the rest of its life. Nintendo has made no effort to change their western support deficiency since the Gamecube, there is no reason to believe that Nintendo doing nothing and just releasing another Switch will improve support on its own given the years of evidence that never worked before.
'Historical evidence' or rather the presumptive evidence you are stating is an oxymoron.

Provide actual evidence or bog off.

Last edited:
'Historical evidence' or rather the presumptive evidence you are stating is an oxymoron.

Provide actual evidence or bog off.

Are you actually going to argue that there isn't evidence of Nintendo historically having poor western third party support regardless of the success of their consoles?

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Are you actually going to argue that there isn't evidence of Nintendo historically having poor western third party support regardless of the success of their consoles?
Of course there is, but we don't live in the past. It's like predicting the next console sales based on 'patterns' - only there are no patterns most of the time. Analysts get it wrong so often, it's not even funny.

Considering more and more indies are finding it viable to publish on the Switch, the barrier to do doing so clearly isn't that great though.

Last edited:
Of course there is, but we don't live in the past.

Considering more and more indies are finding it viable to publish on the Switch, the barrier to do doing so clearly isn't that great though.

Don't live in the past doesn't apply here, when Nintendo is doing nothing to actually change the results of the past. Indies have been on Nintendo consoles for awhile, and wouldn't be a good indicator for how the major developers and publishers would act.

There's really no reason to believe that western third party support will be better on Switch 2 if Nintendo isn't doing anything to give those developers reasons to support the system. Again, we haven't really see them try this since the Gamecube. They did give some effort on the Wii U but not much.

Nintendo could do this for the Switch 2, it's just historically unlikely. But it could happen, and I'm not writing off the slim possibility it won't, just not raising my expectations too high.

Griffon

The issue is that they had an exceptionally good deal with Nvidia to make the Switch.

This isn't gonna happen again. Nvidia is notoriously expensive to work with, and this time they'll try to bleed Nintendo for the encore. Nintendo will probably have to bail and use one of those new AMD x86 APUs instead. Which bodes ill for the compatibility of old Switch games.

Tams

Gold Member
The issue is that they had an exceptionally good deal with Nvidia to make the Switch.

This isn't gonna happen again. Nvidia is notoriously expensive to work with, and this time they'll try to bleed Nintendo for the encore. Nintendo will probably have to bail and use one of those new AMD x86 APUs instead. Which bodes ill for the compatibility of old Switch games.
I very much doubt Nintendo will go with x86.

Nvidia still have found, as far as I know, zero other customers (of note at least) for Tegra. Sure, they have a poor reputation, but they'd still like to make something from Tegra.

Failing that, it's not like there's a shortage of ARM-based options. Samsung seem pretty hamstrung with Exynos - which now have RDNA graphics (I'm not sure that exactly means, but hey).

And Nintendo have plenty of experience working with ARM, from the Game Boy Advance onwards.

They have no x86 development experience, the Game Boy CPU being the closest as an Intel 8080 variant, but the 8080 is actually quite a few years older than the 8086.

Marvel14

Banned
It will be a switch 2, no one will see an immediate reason to upgrade causing lower sales than this generations. Nintendo will then pivot and release something new. The nintendo pattern is proven when it comes to consoles.
Nah...Switch 2 will have at least 1 differentiating innovation. Maybe dual screen, advanced haptics or a VR mode. And it may even be at a level of PS4 or PS4 Pro or use DLSS to keep 3rd party AAA alive as a portable which is also very attractive.

Whether it's worth upgrading will depend on how attractive that innovation and the power upgrade is and backwards compatibility...and games that take advantage of them.

Marvel14

Banned

Nvidia have mentioned that their Nintendo partnership is expected to last 20 years. They felt badly burned by PS and Xbox going AMD and wanted to capture one console client. That client has produced stellar sales results without a price drop over 5 years likely expanding profit margins over the product's lifetime.

Not sure all of that will encourage Nvidia to "bleed Nintendo ".

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I hope their next console is a flop (I suspect it will be), so they release their games on something more powerful than a gameboy colour. Preferably for the PC, or we could just continue to emulate them, whatever...

Top Bottom