• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the video game market headed for another crash?

Is the video game market headed for another crash?

• Yes!

Votes: 47 24.9%
  • No way!

Votes: 97 51.3%
  • Give it a little more time!

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I just want to see the answers.

Votes: 20 10.6%

• Total voters
Some of you all apparently have no state between “holy fuck, HYPE!” and “oh god, it’s all doom and gloom!”. Like, damn.

Maybe lay off the coffee and energy drinks? Smoke some weed? Go high five a grizzly bear? Do something with all this pent up energy and anxiety you’ve got and unleash it in a healthier way.
Yea at this point I think these doom and gloom threads have less to do with the medium and more to do with something more personal.

Guys, play other video games. Play Japanese games. Play something else...or better yet spend time doing other things. I promise it will be way more fun than worrying day by day about a few buggy western releases and a middle of the road conference.

How the fuck does that even compare? You have zero critical thinking skills to even compare some Deep Silver shovelware bullshit to one of the few high-profile MS releases for the year. You are the reason that the ignore button was created on this site.
Take a second to really look at your own post. You got worked up enough to ignore Danjin44 Danjin44 over a post like that?

come-on-man-seriously.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Guys, play other video games. Play Japanese games. Play something else...or better yet spend time doing other things. I promise it will be way more fun than worrying day by day about a few buggy western releases and a middle of the road conference.
I'm really starting to think people enjoy feeling jaded and miserable, I guess if they actually enjoy that more playing games then let them.

Also change my tag to "meanest" person on the fourm because I'm telling people enjoy games, it most offensive thing anyone can say.....how dare I!!!

Last edited:

SiahWester

If anything is gonna crash it's Sony. Microsoft has been extremely aggressive acquiring studios. The video game industry will never crash again. It's just not possible anymore. That doesn't mean we can't see big names die though because that certainly can and will happen.

Last edited:
We have had crashes every few years and then they come up with new monetization policies and the money comes back so a crash doesn't mean jack diddily now. Only if there's no customers left to grind cash off of will there be a problem, but there's always a supply of gamers who will buy the new horse armor or slit crate.
Atari collapsed cause they put out tons of garbage and we're the only player in town (sorry commodore 64)
Crazy how poorly people understand basic gaming history.
Honestly, I hope it crashes. Or at least the Western gaming industry does.
People do realize a crash only means that the value of the industry drops because a bunch of money that's going to come back leaves for a short-time?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Maybe yes.
Gaas gaas gaas... hero shooters
greed greed greed...
Gass is not why I play video games. And everyone only wants to produce gaas because it can explode and earn a lot of money.
Then also, physical is dying, single player is dying, no new ips, too long dev cycle, lack of optimization, everything is a sequel, wokeness is going crazy...

Fatmanp

I think the scope and scale of most games are just too big. This applies to many types of project whether it's Indie, AA or AAA. Looking at some of the recent bombs using Redfall as an example. Did it need need to have such a large map? Did it need Co-op? Without these two things would it have been more focused and not taken 5 or 6 years to make?

Another example from Bethesda. Did Ghostwrite need such a large map or need to last 20+ hours? Did Pokémon need to be fully open world? Did Gow Ragnarok really need 25% of its sideplot story. There are so many examples of chasing a trend just to not feel left out.

One of my fav series is Yakuza because they literally use the same assets and have a different plot.

digdug2

Yea at this point I think these doom and gloom threads have less to do with the medium and more to do with something more personal.

Take a second to really look at your own post. You got worked up enough to ignore Danjin44 Danjin44 over a post like that?

come-on-man-seriously.gif
You are absolutely right. I was wrong and acted like I was the head jester at the three-ring circus. I honestly just ignored him because I think he doesn't really add much to any conversation. Same with drizzlehell. I get it that I'm not going to like everyone here, and not everyone is going to like me. But imagine how much better this place could be if people would take the time to enrich a thread instead of just pouring gasoline onto it.

Last edited:
But imagine how much better this place could be if people would take the time to enrich a thread instead of just pouring gasoline onto it.
I don't personally understand how there's any way to enrich a negative/complaint/downer thread, but I guess it's fair to think of it this way...as long as we can agree that it's just as bad when certain regulars here come into a positive thread just to pour gasoline on it. Because that tends to happen more often and no one seems to bat an eye about it.

digdug2

I don't personally understand how there's any way to enrich a negative/complaint/downer thread, but I guess it's fair to think of it this way...as long as we can agree that it's just as bad when certain regulars here come into a positive thread just to pour gasoline on it. Because that tends to happen more often and no one seems to bat an eye about it.
Yeah, my thread was negative overall and to be quite honest with you, I kind of wish I didn't post the poll in the first place.

michael.jpg

I'm sorry for getting worked up and acting like a dick too. And yeah, I agree with you completely, and would even say that it's worse when certain individuals go into a positive thread just to shit all over it and the people excited about it.

Last edited:

Mercuryvoid

Neo Member
In real world, you can't have everything. Players want game with great graphic, awesome gameplay, quick development time, ethical treatment of developers, and low price. Meanwhile, the cost of living is rising, everyone wants a better life condition, shareholders want better margin and dividends, company wants to break the sales record, and so on. So, something gotta give. People bitching about harsh treatment of worker in China, while keep on buying product from Apple, Sony, and God know what other brands manufactured there.

Let's face it, players create this situation. We bitch every time a game doesn't meet our expectation, which, most of the time, over expectation. We want Phil or Jim's head rolling for every game trailer in Youtube. Oh, they heard us alright, and they are doing what they think is right for every bitching and doom and gloom we spout on the internet.

Now, IMO, let's start by cutting down on the over expectation first, view the product by the time it is launched and, in your hand (or console, or PC for that matter). I know that GAF is an enthusiast forum, and we are keen and invested on this hobby more than the casual player, but I surely hope we haven't got to the hooliganism level of sports like the soccer fans.

Second, developer and publisher are a commercial company, first and foremost. The most important thing for them is the bottom line, and as discussed in some other thread, GAF are niche community and insignificant market share compared to the casual crowd. We don't matter in the eye of the big corps. The sooner we realize this, the better. For their interest, they are leaning to hear from the Fortnite crowd than some hardcore gamer dude lambasting the pixel count and water interaction with Miles on the last Spiderman 2 trailer.

Top Bottom