• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a cocky character with a worse fight record than Vegeta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That's why Hiei has a good record and Vegeta doesn't, Hiei will do anything to get that W for the squad. That's why the whole squad has a good record, they do it for the squad and not their egos.

There's no squad like yusuke's squad tho, you cant compare

How you dare to mock the Prince of all saiyans?

Well yeah, his track record isnt the best, but if you look DBZ and DB Super he is the character with the most progression...

Retrospective DBZ is the story of genocidal alien being coming to earth turning into a family father and somekind of savior of earth...

while Gokus arc is more like genocidal alien being comes to earth, knocks his head, savior of earth...turning into a fighting maniac risking lifes of trillions of people around universes for a good fight...

RootCause

How you dare to mock the Prince of all saiyans?

Well yeah, his track record isnt the best, but if you look DBZ and DB Super he is the character with the most progression...

Retrospective DBZ is the story of genocidal alien being coming to earth turning into a family father and somekind of savior of earth...

while Gokus arc is more like genocidal alien being comes to earth, knocks his head, savior of earth...turning into a fighting maniac risking lifes of trillions of people around universes for a good fight...

That sounds similar to Vegeta.

Letting Cell transform

Turning Majin, so he could fight Goku. Then sucker punching him so he could be the hero, and getting whooped.

They both mess around with their oppenents. But Goku does it out of respect for life, and showing mercy.

Meanwhile Vegeta does it because of his arrogance, and ends up getting is ass kicked most times, only for Goku to save his sorry behind.

As for his development. There are some flashes of change in Vegeta, but those are for an episode or two, then he goes back to being the same crappy character.

It was nice seeing him put Bulma ahead of training, and his obsession with Goku.

MetalSlug

Vegeta's got that American hubris. "Everything is awful and you're losing horribly? Still the best."

On the note of others like him: Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer was pretty bad. Kills two slayers and a fuck ton of people and demons over his lifetime. Gets beat by one slayer and then can't even kill a single vampire in a 1v1. Multiple times.

He bounces back, though.

My main point is that Spike dropped hard. BtVS was really bad with consistency in its "power levels"

I was trying to find the scene in BtVS where Andrew compares Spike and Angel to Vegeta and Goku, but can't find it on Youtube :(

That sounds similar to Vegeta.

Letting Cell transform

Turning Majin, so he could fight Goku. Then sucker punching him so he could be the hero, and getting whooped.

They both mess around with their oppenents. But Goku does it out of respect for life, and showing mercy.

Meanwhile Vegeta does it because of his arrogance, and ends up getting is ass kicked most times, only for Goku to save his sorry behind.

As for his development. There are some flashes of change in Vegeta, but those are for an episode or two, then he goes back to being the same crappy character.

It was nice seeing him put Bulma ahead of training, and his obsession with Goku.
That's because Vegeta's character arc isn't really completed until the end of Z where he finally became a genuinely decent person.

I was trying to find the scene in BtVS where Andrew compares Spike and Angel to Vegeta and Goku, but can't find it on Youtube :(
I don't think that happened. He compares himself to Vegeta, because he was evil and then ends up on the good guy side. He never compares those two, though. He never really mentions Angel when on BtVS

Media

And when you look at it, Gin surprised him because Sanji believed in charity; he didn't fight back against Kalifa, but proved that he could take her down in only a few strikes; Everyone but Luffy lost to Eneru; He damn near broke Blueno's tekkai (the first to do it) and gave him a run for his money (which the rest of CP9 gave him shit for); everyone lost to Kuma. Literally everyone.

Nah he whupped Pearl good. Burned the fuck out of himself.

Like I said earlier in the thread, his "power level" is trash from S5-S7, save for a few key wins (which aren't even key). When he hits Angel, though, he gets mad respect. That show did such a good job with keeping the skill levels of its characters consistent. I can't think of a single time where a character took a loss that they shouldn't have.

I missed your post, damn.

My pet theory is that vampires slowly lose power around Buffy, because when they leave to the other show they are suddenly badass again.

I've heard people argue Spike shouldn't have beaten Angel during the cup of Mt. Dew battle, but I thought it was very fucking in character. Loved them hashing it all out like that with a single explosive fight.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Vegeta is assisted by some convenient ret-conning. Suddenly, super sayans are made to be even stronger after recovering from a fatal injury. Goku lost many battles as a child, but was never made stronger from them. I guess the writers felt that Vegeta needed a handicap.

Eh...Goku didnt had many near-death fights as kid and even so he grew stronger after it anyways. So i dont get that point.

Garlador

Dude got Bulma.

That's the biggest W in the series.

I beg to differ.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_8fuwf92p9asc0ggcsg0oswokg_640.jpg

Dude married so far out of his league, it's makes anything Vega or Goku could ever do seem paltry by comparison. Yamcha could defeat Beerus with one arm and it still wouldn't be as impressive as Krillin hooking up with Android 18.

Kuwabara from YYH might be a contender, he's not so much cocky but very sure of himself and isn't that good of a fighter.

He gets a couple wins in the Dark Tournament but one of them was an intended fluke by his opponent.

Two Words

Eh...Goku didnt had many near-death fights as kid and even so he grew stronger after it anyways. So i dont get that point.
He had several in Dragon Ball. Hell, broke his entire body in the saiyan saga and Goku never said he felt strong after recovering.

Two Words

Kuwabara from YYH might be a contender, he's not so much cocky but very sure of himself and isn't that good of a fighter.

He gets a couple wins in the Dark Tournament but one of them was an intended fluke by his opponent.
Kuwabara is somewhat cocky, but it is more that he is honorable. It's not that he has delusions that he is the strongest warrior ever. He just believes that a true warrior doesn't turn back from a fight, even if the odds are against him. He refuses help, but not because he believes he is too good to need it. Kuwabara has many impressive wins, and many of his losses were sacrificial.

Sephzilla

Vegeta is 2-0 against the main character of the series. I think that compensates for some of those other Ls.

1) In the Saiyan Saga he takes on Goku at the height of his power (at that point in time) and pretty much curb stomps him at the end. Vegeta also takes a (weakened) Spirit Bomb and lives to talk about it too. Gohan/Krillin/Yajarobe technically beat Vegeta.

2) In the Buu Saga he beats Goku. Yeah, Goku was holding back but that's Goku's fault. Vegeta won that fight clean.

Two Words

Vegeta is technically 2-0 against the main character of the series. I think that compensates for some of those other Ls
At best, it is 1-1. Goku could have easily beat him during the Buu saga, but went easy on him. I don't know why you even say Vegeta wins it. He never actually beats Goku in that fight. His Saiyan saga victory over Goku feels cheap because he had to transform. The cheapest part of it was that Goku wasn't even completely outclassing him. Goku was expending a lot of energy to outpace him, but it was clear it was taking a toll on Goku.

Sephzilla

At best, it is 1-1. Goku could have easily beat him during the Buu saga, but went easy on him. His Saiyan saga victory over Goku feels cheap because he had to transform. The cheapest part of it was that Goku wasn't even completely outclassing him. Goku was expending a lot of energy to outpace him, but it was clear it was taking a toll on Goku.

It isn't Vegeta's fault that Goku was holding back in the Buu Saga fight. Goku left himself exposed to a KO hit and Vegeta took advantage of it. That L is entirely Goku's fault. Also, you kind of contradicted yourself a little. You say Goku could have easily beat Vegeta in the Buu Saga (because Goku had the SSJ3 trump card) but then you say Vegeta's win against Goku in the Saiyan Saga is cheap because he had to transform? Wouldn't that be the same thing if Goku went SSJ3 against Vegeta?

Anyways, even if Vegeta didn't transform he was winning that fight. Goku was spent after that Kaioken X4 Kamehameha and Goku knew it. Vegeta transformed because he was pissed off, he probably wouldn't have if he knew Goku was a sitting duck.

Steel

Banned
Any character that's not Goku in DBZ has a terrible win-loss. If Vegeta wasn't cocky, there'd be nothing left to him.

Two Words

It isn't Vegeta's fault that Goku was holding back in the Buu Saga fight. Goku left himself exposed to a KO hit and Vegeta took advantage of it. That L is entirely Goku's fault. Also, you kind of contradicted yourself a little. You say Goku could have easily beat Vegeta in the Buu Saga (because Goku had the SSJ3 trump card) but then you say Vegeta's win against Goku in the Saiyan Saga is cheap because he had to transform? Wouldn't that be the same thing if Goku went SSJ3 against Vegeta?

Anyways, even if Vegeta didn't transform he was winning that fight. Goku was spent after that Kaioken X4 Kamehameha and Goku knew it. Vegeta transformed because he was pissed off, he probably wouldn't have if he knew Goku was a sitting duck.
I don't recall Goku actually being KOed in that Buu fight. Either way, it was a hollow victory if he did. My dad let me "knock him out" when we pretended to box as a kid. It's not exactly a W I hold onto though.

And transforming into SSJ3 isn't the same as transforming into a giant ape. Even Vegeta says he is embarrassed to have to resort to that form to win.

Remember, from Vegeta's point of view, Goku has always defeated him.

DrArchon

Dan from Street Fighter?

Isn't that because Sagat threw a fight against him and it went to his head?

Also, I'll nominate Gilgamesh from various Final Fantasy games. Calls himself the greatest swordsman, hasn't won a single fight on-screen. Even Vegeta won a couple.

blakep267

Vegetarian had some nice wins

- He beat Goku in the saiyan saga. They needed, Yajirobe, Gohan and krillin to actually defeat vegeta
- zarbon
- dodoria
- kui
- Android 19
- Cell 2
- Goku again
- 1/2 of Kid Buu

His biggest feats were beating Goku twice. Where as Gokus biggest feat was beating frieza, and gohan beating perfect Cell.

Two Words

Vegetarian had some nice wins

- He beat Goku in the saiyan saga. They needed, Yajirobe, Gohan and krillin to actually defeat vegeta
- zarbon
- dodoria
- kui
- Android 19
- Cell 2
- Goku again
- 1/2 of Kid Buu

His biggest feats were beating Goku twice. Where as Gokus biggest feat was beating frieza, and gohan beating perfect Cell.
Kui and Dodoria were nobodies. I don't know why people insist on counting victories against fodder. If you're going to do that then you might as well count his victory against one of the sauna men.

He didn't defeat the second stage of Cell. He probably could have, but he didn't do it. That is Vegeta's fault. We can't just give him the victory just because he was stronger. Cell could have manage to possibly drain him.

Vegeta didn't beat Goku in the Buu saga, and he was basically taking steroids at this point.

He didn't beat Kid Buu.

Sephzilla

I don't recall Goku actually being KOed in that Buu fight. Either way, it was a hollow victory if he did. My dad let me "knock him out" when we pretended to box as a kid. It's not exactly a W I hold onto though.

And transforming into SSJ3 isn't the same as transforming into a giant ape. Even Vegeta says he is embarrassed to have to resort to that form to win.

Remember, from Vegeta's point of view, Goku has always defeated him.

Vegeta knocks Goku straight out of SSJ2 into normal form at the end of their Buu Saga fight

VjdaUk9.gif

RootCause

Vegeta is 2-0 against the main character of the series. I think that compensates for some of those other Ls.

1) In the Saiyan Saga he takes on Goku at the height of his power (at that point in time) and pretty much curb stomps him at the end. Vegeta also takes a (weakened) Spirit Bomb and lives to talk about it too. Gohan/Krillin/Yajarobe technically beat Vegeta.

2) In the Buu Saga he beats Goku. Yeah, Goku was holding back but that's Goku's fault. Vegeta won that fight clean.

lol Vegeta winning clean. Dude flat out agreed to stop fighting each other, so they could take on Buu.

That's some odd definition of clean.

Truth is, most of Vegeta's kills/wins have come the way of tricks/sucker punches.

At best, it is 1-1. Goku could have easily beat him during the Buu saga, but went easy on him. I don't know why you even say Vegeta wins it. He never actually beats Goku in that fight. His Saiyan saga victory over Goku feels cheap because he had to transform. The cheapest part of it was that Goku wasn't even completely outclassing him. Goku was expending a lot of energy to outpace him, but it was clear it was taking a toll on Goku.

They fought on par level wise regardless if he didn't win ssj3.. so technically vegeta won the fight. Mind you Trunks is my guy just in case.

Servbot24

Banned

Both of those were unusual circumstances. He beat Goku before Goku even knew what a Saiyan really was. In the second fight Goku knew that the world depended on not spending energy on the fight.

RootCause

It's weird Vegeta kept taking L's but he was by far my lil brothers favorite character for some reason.

He's the Prince of all edgelords.

Juice and Dodoria were nobodies. I don't know why people insist on counting victories against fodder. If you're going to do that then you might as well count his victory against one of the sauna men.

He didn't defeat the second stage of Cell. He probably could have, but he didn't do it. That is Vegeta's fault. We can't just give him the victory just because he was stronger. Cell could have manage to possibly drain him.

Vegeta didn't beat Goku in the Buu saga, and he was basically taking steroids at this point.

He didn't beat Kid Buu.

Lol im pretty sure someone brought up beating Napa's crippled ass, and Burter's corpse.

You have to take anything you can get with Vegeta.

RootCause

Hitting his opponent from behind when their guard was down. I'm not sure that counts as a "win" anymore than punching Yamcha in his sleep.

Oh, are also counting the movies? Because Vegeta's losing streak skyrockets if we are.
Being fair, and all. He did very well in the Frieza movie. Better than Goku. imo

Hero

If Goku went SS3 he would've mopped the floor with Vegeta. Goku didn't use the form to not hurt Vegeta's feelings.

I beg to differ.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_8fuwf92p9asc0ggcsg0oswokg_640.jpg

Dude married so far out of his league, it's makes anything Vega or Goku could ever do seem paltry by comparison. Yamcha could defeat Beerus with one arm and it still wouldn't be as impressive as Krillin hooking up with Android 18.

Wait. Did marrying 18 cause Krillin to grow hair?!?

That's incredible.

KillGore

He defeated goku in the saiyan saga. Also, I wouldnt count majin vegita vs goku a loss, maybe a draw, or even a win. Goku didnt beat him either.

Edit: he also defeated cell before allowing him to absorb 18. Also, because of him, Gohan was able to defeat perfect cell. This list of yours is bullshit, OP.

Goku not shitting on Geets with SSJ3 was one of the dumbest things he's done, Buu never would have been revived. I don't buy his shit that he didn't want to hurt Geets' feelings, dude wanted to prolong the fight like he always does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom