• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a cocky character with a worse fight record than Vegeta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

Coincidentally, listening to TeamFourStar talking about the villains is hysterical.

"Vegeta's mostly known as the guy who makes everything worse, then job as hard as possible."

I missed your post, damn.

My pet theory is that vampires slowly lose power around Buffy, because when they leave to the other show they are suddenly badass again.

I've heard people argue Spike shouldn't have beaten Angel during the cup of Mt. Dew battle, but I thought it was very fucking in character. Loved them hashing it all out like that with a single explosive fight.
It's not necessarily that they lose their power, but that they exist solely for Buffy. Therefore everything they do seems lesser by comparison.

The Spike and Angel fight could have gone either way, but I feel like they made it fairly clear that Angel lost because his heart wasn't in it. He doubted himself and became apathetic. That's what a lot of the first half of S5 is about: losing his way. He was starting to do it out of obligation and not because he wanted to loke in S1-3.

Kuwabara is somewhat cocky, but it is more that he is honorable. It's not that he has delusions that he is the strongest warrior ever. He just believes that a true warrior doesn't turn back from a fight, even if the odds are against him. He refuses help, but not because he believes he is too good to need it. Kuwabara has many impressive wins, and many of his losses were sacrificial.
It's made clear pretty early on that he just acts like that, and he'd much rather just study and do well at school, but he feels like he has something to prove. It's why he drops out after the Sensui incident. That and he felt he would hold them back.

Two Words

It's made clear pretty early on that he just acts like that, and he'd much rather just study and do well at school, but he feels like he has something to prove. It's why he drops out after the Sensui incident. That and he felt he would hold them back.
He wouldn't rather study. He just knows that he needs to take education more seriously later in the story. I don't know what you mean by he "just acts like that". How does one "act" like that when they repeatedly put their life on the line?

Two Words

Goku not shitting on Geets with SSJ3 was one of the dumbest things he's done, Buu never would have been revived. I don't buy his shit that he didn't want to hurt Geets' feelings, dude wanted to prolong the fight like he always does.
I thought SSJ3 was a form that could only be held temporarily and exhausts the person. Makes sense that he didn't use it against Vegeta. Goku has worse screw ups. When Cell was taking on Android 17 and 18, Goku knew what was going on. He could have easily instant transmissioned all of the androids away from Cell. Hell he eventually does that, but instead it's just to do it to save Tien and Piccolo.

Reset

Hitting his opponent from behind when their guard was down. I'm not sure that counts as a "win" anymore than punching Yamcha in his sleep.

Oh, are also counting the movies? Because Vegeta's losing streak skyrockets if we are.
Best scene in that movie.
z7iYCxE.gif

If we throw in Super as well...
5183167-dodges+vegeta+and+time+skip+attack.gif

img_3250.gif

Sephzilla

Hitting his opponent from behind when their guard was down. I'm not sure that counts as a "win" anymore than punching Yamcha in his sleep.

Oh, are also counting the movies? Because Vegeta's losing streak skyrockets if we are.

Oh jesus, yeah if you include the movies then he eats Ls for breakfast

Lol, these are the Ws that Vegeta fans desperately cling to. Vegeta says that he put the fight on hold so that he can fight Goku when he isn't worried about Buu. It was a dishonorable cheap shot and there is no way Vegeta views that as a victory. He even says that they will have to finish their fight later.

Alternatively - He know's Goku's an idiot and took advantage of it. Because Goku is an idiot.

OnPoint

I honestly couldn't believe it when they took Vegeta killing Frieza away in that last movie. Just give the guy one high profile win already. He's earned it.

guek

Banned
Vegeta has a better fight record than Goku not counting movies.

Goku's (adult) Record
Piccolo - Win
Radditz - Loss
Nappa - Win
Vegeta - Loss
Racoom - Win
Burter/Jeice - Win
Ginyu - Loss
Frieza - Win
19 - Loss
Perfect Cell - Loss
Yakon - Win
Maijin Vegeta - Draw
Fat Buu - Draw
Kid Buu - Loss
Beerus - Loss
Golden Frieza - Loss
Batomo - Win
Frost - Loss
Hit - Loss
Goku Black - Loss
Merged Zamasu - Loss

W/L = 7:12

Vegeta's Record
Goku - Win
Goku/Gohan/Krillin/Yajirobi - Loss
Cui - Win
Daddoria - Win
Zarbon - Loss
Zarbon - Win
Racoom - Loss
Jeice - Win
Frieza - Loss
19 - Win
18 - Loss
Imperfect Cell - Win
Perfect Cell - Loss
Pui Pui - Win
Goku - Draw
Fat Buu - Loss
Kid Buu - Loss
Beerus - Loss
Golden Frieza - Loss
Frost - Win
Magetta - Win
Cabba - Win
Hit - Loss
Goku Black - Loss
Goku Black - Win
Merged Zamasu - Loss

W/L = 12:12

Heero5

What's this from? I don't recal this scene, just that Kaji grew melons.

On topic: Nagi (and Bob) in the Tenjou Tenge anime

Also: I feel like Sasuke has a poor record mainly because his wins happen in such a way that I always feel like he didn't deserve the win and was over his head.

Ex: Danzo, Itachi, Killer Bee, Deidara

Ogodei

Also lost to Pearl.

I thought he beat Pearl and basically drew against Gin?

Anyway, Vegeta.

Versus Goku, Gohan, Krillin, Yajirobe: Loss (0-1)
Versus Cui: Win (1-1)
Versus Dodoria: Win (2-1)
Versus Zarbon (round 1): Loss (2-2)
Versus Zarbon (round 2): Win (3-2)
Versus Guldo: Win (4-2)
Versus Recoome: Loss (4-3)
Versus Jeice: Win (5-3)
Versus Frieza (First Form): Win (6-3)
Versus Frieza (Second Form): Loss (6-4)
Versus Frieza (Final Form): Loss (6-5)
Versus Android 19: Win (7-5)
Versus Android 18: Loss (7-6)
Versus Cell (Second Form): Win (8-6)
Versus Perfect Cell (round 1): Loss (8-7)
Versus Perfect Cell (round 2): Loss (8-8)
Versus Puipui: Win (9-8)
Versus Goku: Draw? Kind of hard to tell with that one.
Versus Fat Buu: Loss (9-9)
Versus Kid Buu: Win* (10-9) (though obviously he spent the entire fight jobbing)
Versus Gold Frieza: Win* (11-9) (would've been a draw since Frieza was willing to blow himself up instead of taking the L)
Versus Cabba: Win (12-9)
Versus Frost: Win (13-9)
Versus Auta Magetta: Win (14-9)
Versus Hit: Loss (14-10)
Versus Zamasu/Goku Black (round 1): Loss (14-11)
Versus Zamasu/Goku Black (round 2): Win (15-11)

And then we're up to the present day. He generally gives as good as he gets and a few of those wins belong in asterisk territory, like having help against first-form Frieza and Guldo, along with the two i actually starred (but his very first loss does, too, since he needed all four people working against him).

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This OP is weak. How do you leave out so many confirmed kills? It's almost like you have an agenda.

And Vegeta beat Goku on earth. Period. It was a one on one until Vegeta got to deep in that ass and his son, best friend, and a sneaky fat man had to bail him out. That's an L, bruv - and You Goku-Stans need to learn to accept and hold said L.

Two Words

This OP is weak. How do you leave out so many confirmed kills? It's almost like you have an agenda.

And Vegeta beat Goku on earth. Period. It was a one on one until Vegeta got to deep in that ass and his son, best friend, and a sneaky fat man had to bail him out. That's an L, bruv - and You Goku-Stans need to learn to accept and hold said L.
Funny how Vegeta didn't feel that it was a win.

ChouGoku

To be fair Vegeta did travel the universe as a mercenary when he was much weaker. Also pre Golden Freeza would still be one of the strongest people around. So if Vegeta ran into anyone most likely he should be much stronger than them. He also isn't that much weaker than the Saiyan golden child Goku. Also I don't think its fair to give Goku that win on earth, he had so much help and he basically beat Goku.

pbayne

Ourobourous from the Trails games?

Talk a big game but constantly get jobbed out then try to pull the bullshit "i wasn't really trying" before running away.

But then that would apply to most re-curing villains in jrpgs i guess.

RootCause

Among his amazing kills.
Crippled Napa
Unconscious Burter
Unconscious Recoome
Guldo while he was fighting someone else
Old namekians
The roach looking aliens
Jeice
Cui
Dodoria
Zarbon
Puipui
Hundreds of earthlings at the tournament

I might've missed a Saibaman or two.

pbayne

Nahyuta Sahmadhi from Ace Attorney 6.

He's supposed to be such a legendary foreign prosecutor that they fly him in from the far east so that he can prosecute cases in Japanifornia. His character is basically a Jehovah's Witness. He describes the many ways you're doomed to hell for being a defense attorney and prays for you to be reincarnated as various insects. He often throws his prayer beads at you and tries to convince you to give up, accept death and let it go.

He loses every single case in the game. Its kind of difficult to see him as a threat when he gets an ass whooping every single time you face him in court.

tbf doesn't that logic apply to every prosecutor in the series.
I know they apparently win cases off screen and shit but Fran, Godot etc are all losers as far as the events of the games are concerned.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Among his amazing kills.
Crippled Napa
Unconscious Burter
Unconscious Recoome
Guldo while he was fighting someone else
Old namekians
The roach looking aliens
Jeice
Cui
Dodoria
Zarbon
Puipui
Hundreds of earthlings at the tournament

I might've missed a Saibaman or two.
w's are w's, bruv. Even the small ones.

Ended up putting Goku in a full body cast too. The ultimate W. (Or is the ult dub knocking up a fine billionaire and never having to work again. Hmm)

RootCause

w's are w's, bruv. Even the small ones.

Ended up putting Goku in a full body cast too. The ultimate W.
As I said, you gotta take what you can get with Vegeta. lol

Can't be worse, than having your life spared by the guy you put in a cast, and being inserted in a fish tank to recuperate. :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
But Bulma is super high maintenance, so if you really think about it, he lost.
Vegetta basically married into the wealthiest family on Earth. Even if he cared about sustaining Bulma's caprices he would never need to work a day in his life to do so.

Dude's living the rich life and he doesn't even know it.

Permanently A

I know they apparently win cases off screen and shit but Fran, Godot etc are all losers as far as the events of the games are concerned.

Technically you're right but I feel it has more to do with the impression and reputation of the prosecutor.

Franny is a von Karma so her rep makes sense and she doesn't feel weak. It makes sense that they keep her around despite a loss or two.

Godot comes out of nowhere but he's totally unproven and no one says he's a legendary prosecutor or whatever, at least not that I can remember. My initial impression of him wasn't "oh shit this guy" but instead "who are you?"

In contrast, Nahyuta's "what an amazing foreign prosecutor!" reputation starts crumbling from the first case onwards and makes it increasingly unbelievable that they fly him in for some random case about noodles.

Verelios

Nah, there's a difference. Edgeworth, Von Karma and Godot all had compelling arguments showing competence on a level far beyond Phoenix's pay grade, usually only undermined by their witnesses being asses, specious rebuttals and grandstanding with indifference being Godot's problem.

Franziscka is the first prosecutor in the series to show blatant incompetence repeatedly, followed by Gavin and finally Nay, usually relying on a ridiculous gimmick to get their point across. I understand why this is; the series had to slowly show the player being more competent as cases went by so wins are more a matter of course and not a tour de force. They do this with Phoenix's second year against Franziscka with her gradually realizing she can't win (lol) culminating in a pretty good payoff at the end of game 3, but sadly they play Gavin and Nay completely straight which is just...why?

I feel Blackquill was the best divide between competency and quirkiness, but then he was also kind of not very good at his job so...

A.J.

Banned
I was gonna say Kaiba but he only really lost to Yugi I think and Yugi is a dirty cheat.

It's not like Kaiba liked to play fair either. He summoned a bunch of monsters in his first duel with Yugi. And the entire purpose of bringing the duel disks to duelist kingdom was to throw people off their game.

.JayZii

Banned
I was gonna say Kaiba but he only really lost to Yugi I think and Yugi is a dirty cheat.
Threatening to jump off a building if Yugi doesn't let him win is pretty bullshit. I think they're even as far as the early seasons nonsense.

I don't think there was any cheating when he lost to him in battle city, either.

wildfire

Banned
Doesn't Trunks also blast Vegeta away when Cell is looking for 18. He also has some embarrassing losses in Super which are even worse than Yamchas saibamen death.

Vegeta jobbing to his own son was funny as hell. We never see a DBZ kid get the drop on their dad like this and the best part is that Trunks was all on the "I want to know my father" path not the "I've been shitstained by my father and need to prove my worth" path and he still ends up doing just that.

wildfire

Banned
latest

His whole shtick is "only the strong should survive ggrarrrr!" yet he's a total coward

He forces all his enemies to go through the gauntlet so they would be completely fatigued by the time they reach him while also having his wife relay to him all their fighting techniques.

And he still got bodied.

I get what you're saying but he was top dog of that cabal. Blind guy would've liked to be able to beat Shishio but even at the top of his game he never could.
Sojuro had the potential but he still was Shishio's apprentice.
On some level I suspect Anji would've been a tougher fight for everyone else except Sanuske because they both have walked the same path of getting screwed by the government while trying to do good so Sanoske's mental game was more on point.
Bloodlusted Aoiji is like the only one who I think could beat Shishio as he was then but look at what Shishio did.

He beat all 4 weakened fighters solo.

Kenchi being that much better at recovery saved everyone from total defeat.

best pilot too

she eventually proved it though
She still ended up catching the L for that one.

What's this from? I don't recal this scene, just that Kaji grew melons.

On topic: Nagi (and Bob) in the Tenjou Tenge anime

Also: I feel like Sasuke has a poor record mainly because his wins happen in such a way that I always feel like he didn't deserve the win and was over his head.

Ex: Danzo, Itachi, Killer Bee, Deidara
I think it's from promotional material, or maybe a drama CD or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom