• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a cocky character with a worse fight record than Vegeta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It only gets worse in Super. Being Vegeta is Suffering.

tumblr_ohn2c8hm2I1sq4537o2_540.gif

I also have to lol at people have to split up the same fights in an attempt to pad out Vegeta's win column. Vegeta vs Second Form Cell and Vegeta getting stomped by Perfect Cell are continuations of the same damn fight.

Ourobourous from the Trails games?

Talk a big game but constantly get jobbed out then try to pull the bullshit "i wasn't really trying" before running away.

Not really. It's usually the heroes who are constantly being bailed out or run away from those fights. Just pick any Enforcer and you'd see that they always have more wins than losses.

He wouldn't rather study. He just knows that he needs to take education more seriously later in the story.
Right, and part of that means studying.

I don't know what you mean by he "just acts like that". How does one "act" like that when they repeatedly put their life on the line?
He acts more cocky than he really is, is basically what I mean. He puts on a big show. I mean, we see that when we see near the beginning of the series when we find out he loves kittens and he runs to try and wake Yusuke up.

That was the vibe I got as the series went on, especially by the time the Sensui arc rolls around. That he doesn't really want to fight, but he feels he has to prove himself as a man for whatever reason. Contrast that with Yusuke, who does it because he's just angry all the time and doesn't know what to do with that anger, so he'd just fight.

Compbros

I feel like people that think that Vegeta killing or beating people that are crippled, unconscious, distracted, or defeated already as W's are the same that think Batman took a W against Superman in Dark Knight Returns. It's like someone else beat them and Vegeta came in, put his boot on their back, and took a picture like "yeah, I beat them".

vypek

I wonder what the records of the other fighters are. Seems really odd to have a character that loses so much.

Compbros

I wonder what the records of the other fighters are. Seems really odd to have a character that loses so much.

When a series has a singular focus then ancillary/side characters are gonna lose most of the big time matches so the hero can come and save the day.

Lamel

Banned
Piccolo is far more developed, same for Tien. Vegeta does not develop. He is evil. Then he is the evil product of an even worse even, robbed of any chance of a normal life. Then when he is free from his oppressor, he is just a cocky asshole. Then he is a cocky asshole with a family. Then he is a cocky asshole with a family that he abandons to become evil again. Then he finally takes the L.

Lol just because you have difficulty interpreting his development doesn't mean it didn't happen

Cell?

Ass beat by Piccolo, 16, Vegeta, Gohan & Trunks
First and Second forms? Yes. Perfect and the subsequent power-up? Only Gohan.

So, does he really? What I've been confused about is that do wins matter if they aren't kills? And if they are kills, but the character comes back because of an insane level of regeneration I'm pretty sure Cell was technically killed at least once before Perfect form. By Goku/himself. Does that count as a loss?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Vegeta is an entitled loser. I don't understand how someone can be a fan of him.

He is not even a joke character like Yamcha, his purpose in the series is to highlight the accomplishments and good attitude of Goku and whoever else is doing well during a fight.

latest

His whole shtick is "only the strong should survive ggrarrrr!" yet he's a total coward

He forces all his enemies to go through the gauntlet so they would be completely fatigued by the time they reach him while also having his wife relay to him all their fighting techniques.

And he still got bodied.
This is true, but he's still really strong and the most powerful compared to Japanese swordsmen and his subordinates. He ain't shit compared to Kenshin, but that's true of everybody except Saito.

Ogodei

Come to think of it, Sasuke does job for the entire anime, which goes out of its way to give him wins: He gets straight-up beat by Haku and Gaara, only beats Orochimaru and Itachi because both were deathly sick, had to run to avoid getting killed by the Raikage and Killer Bee (even if he managed to take a chunk off both of them), Itachi had to bail him out against Kabuto, too.

Only legit wins he gets are against Yoroi in the elimination round of the Chuunin exams, Deidara (though due to the tremendous bullshit that was the Great Snake Escape), and Naruto in their first fight.

br3wnor

Is there a preferred way to watch DBZ without all the bloat? I never got super into it as a kid on Cartoon Network and it always seems too daunting/time consuming to give it a shot now, but I wouldn't mind seeing the best stuff and still have a general idea of the story.

Compbros

Is there a preferred way to watch DBZ without all the bloat? I never got super into it as a kid on Cartoon Network and it always seems too daunting/time consuming to give it a shot now, but I wouldn't mind seeing the best stuff and still have a general idea of the story.

Dragonball Kai cuts out the filler and is much closer to the manga. It loses like 70 episodes worth of bloat.

Two Words

Lol just because you have difficulty interpreting his development doesn't mean it didn't happen

What development did Vegeta show between dying by the hands of Frieza and pouring out his pain to fighting the Androids and Cell? Having sex with Bulma doesn't count. He showed that he didn't care about her or his kid at that time either. The only development he had up to that point is that he didn't desire to kill the other Earth fighters on sight anymore.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Cocky character that continually gets their ass beat is a trope. It's not even close to unique to Vegeta.

Tidalwave

Great topic but I don't understand why the hell super spoilers are so welcome on this site as if we all watched the sub. Like, cut that shit out.

It only gets worse in Super. Being Vegeta is Suffering.

tumblr_ohn2c8hm2I1sq4537o2_540.gif

I also have to lol at people have to split up the same fights in an attempt to pad out Vegeta's win column. Vegeta vs Second Form Cell and Vegeta getting stomped by Perfect Cell are continuations of the same damn fight.

Vegeta has more wins than Goku in Super.
Fuck. I didn't know Vegetas record was so trash.

It's not, the OP is pretty inaccurate.

Two Words

Vegeta has more wins than Goku in Super.

It's not, the OP is pretty inaccurate.

Nah, I'm just going to only count important fights. Hell, I was probably being nice as far as how cocky he is.I just watched an episode where after getting destroyed by Perfect Cell, Vegeta STILL thinks he is far stronger than Cell.

But Bulma is super high maintenance, so if you really think about it, he lost.
I disagree, Goku lost by marrying Chi Chi, whom he hardly knew, when he could have gotten with Bulma easily. Chi Chi was basically a bad ending.

Vegeta have a much better wife, best girl in the series.

Nah, I'm just going to only count important fights. Hell, I was probably being nice as far as how cocky he is.I just watched an episode where after getting destroyed by Perfect Cell, Vegeta STILL thinks he is far stronger than Cell.

Vegeta trashed Goku, he was beaten by the combination of Gohan, Yajarobe and Krillin.
Dodoria was every bit as important as Zarbon.
Vegeta destroys Jeice
He wrecks Semi-Perfect Cell, he doesn't get beat by Cell until he's Perfect.
Goku VS Majin Vegeta was an even fight and Vegeta didn't lose
Buu didn't beat Vegeta, Vegeta killed himself
Vegeta was there to the end to help make sure Kid Buu was defeated.

Hero

Johnny Cage is one of the strongest people in the MK Universe and he fought (and beat) both Sub-Zero and Scorpion at the same time. Even in the movies he beat Goro. Dude squanders his talents on being a movie star.

Hollywood movie star beat two ninja assassins? Is this seriously what MK canon is now?

zeemumu

Hollywood movie star beat two ninja assassins? Is this seriously what MK canon is now?

The whole deal is that he somehow learned shadow power (that green stuff) from someone and is actually extremely adept in martial arts, and for some reason the best thing that he can think to do with all of that awesome power is become an action movie star. It's like if Jax decided that the best use of his metal arms was to become the world arm-wrestling champion. He beat Kano, Sonya, and Reptile as well.

One of his endings (I can't remember if it's MK9 or MKX) has his shadow power growing to a point where he's essentially a god and he has to go to order realm to learn to keep it under control so he doesn't blow up the universe.

He sired Trunks, who in turn has some of the franchise's most notable kill records, but yeah Vegetables himself has bary ever been worth shit when it counted.

Vegeta is an entitled loser. I don't understand how someone can be a fan of him.

He is not even a joke character like Yamcha, his purpose in the series is to highlight the accomplishments and good attitude of Goku and whoever else is doing well during a fight.

He's not real and he has an entertaining personality. Also he has had some of the best development in the series (which admittedly isn't saying much but it's still something).

Hopeford

Vegeta might not have the best record jobbing, but his losses are super memorable.

Gonna be honest, him jobbing to Kid Buu was by far the most heroic fight in the series to me. I found his hopeless Rocky struggle when he knew he couldn't win way more interesting than Goku's powerup wins. I just loved how he got beaten to hell and back and was like "I'm not going down because I'm fucking Vegeta" and even Buu was like "..the fuck" for a moment.

He's an arrogant prick who loses a lot, but that final fight he had in Z against Kid Buu sold me on his pride being warranted in spite of his losses. Like it just really sold me on him being the guy who doesn't compromise his pride even if it means literally betting his existence on a fight(he was already dead at the time, so losing there would have meant literally being erased, and like that's one of the few times DBZ had actual stakes haha).

ChouGoku

Lol Vegeta is the greatest character in the series. He doesn't give a fuck and he used to talk hella shit, it really didn't matter who it was. Vegeta is probably the hardest training character in the series and has had some good character development. He's barely weaker than Goku and Goku doesn't spend much as much time with his son and wife. Goku also had 7 years of training in heaven. Also Vegeta's son isn't a loser and actually saved the future. He didn't "let the kids handle it"

Cage has always been extremely talented when it comes to fighting, but he likes money and fame, so he went to Hollywood. He's like Mikey from the Ninja Turtles: brilliant but lazy.

That's been the case since the very first few games, and in canon it took an entire death squad to finally kill him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom