• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a market for big(ish) budget sci-fi tv outside of Star Trek?

Doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of it these days and a lot of Sci-fi ends up being mid tier scale with lots of drama.

The expanse is fantastic but it’s now the second time it’s been cancelled.

Star Trek enterprise got canned although it was shit.
Star gate universe got cancelled but never saw it, sounds shit though.
Discovery has a really big budget but outside of this and the expanse seems like a dark days for sci fans.

Pagusas

Elden Member
yes, they are just few and far between. Battlestar was how many years ago? Then the Expanse. Seems there is normally only room for 1 or 2 big shows at a time.

BigBooper

There's probably a market for it, but is there a marketplace for it? Can any service afford a decent show like that when everyone's segmented in their own little media walled gardens? Not so sure. I guess they will have syndicated shows across streaming networks, just like tv channels had, but it's taking a while to get there.

Mouse Wars has a half dozen Bounty Hunter: The 40 Year Old Action Figure spin offs in the works. If you want big budgets you can only really look at a handful of megacorps.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Expanse is cancelled?

Technically, no. Effectively, yes.

It will go on "pause" after season 6 and a 6-season arc was one of the possibilities they had in mind. If you read the books you'll know why there is a really good reason to stop at the end of Season 6 and/or transition to a spin-off, movie, or something else.

minor book spoiler:
There is a 30-year time skip between books 6 and 7.

Frankly speaking I'm happy we got as much as we did and that it hopefully had the added effect of proving the viability of relatively-hard sci-fi in the streaming television market.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Has there ever been really? There hasn't been a golden age for sci-fi TV in my opinion, and there are never consistently been great shows airing. The longest is probably TNG through DS9/B5

ManaByte

Gold Member
Star Trek enterprise got canned although it was shit.
Seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise were great.

Discovery has a really big budget but outside of this and the expanse seems like a dark days for sci fans.

They're filming Star Trek Strange New Worlds right now. Captain Pike series with young Spock and Number One set in the fifteen years Pike commanded the Enterprise before Kirk.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Has there ever been really? There hasn't been a golden age for sci-fi TV in my opinion, and there are never consistently been great shows airing. The longest is probably TNG through DS9/B5

I would consider TNG/B5/DS9/StarGate/Sliders/Farscape/XFiles to be the Golden Age. I mean what more could you possibly ask for in a decade....

What happened to all the good Sci FI space shows? The less I say about Nu ""trek"" the better.
Still triggered that Firefly was canceled all those years ago. Are the Stargate tv shows better than the movie?
How was that Battlestar Gallactica series that was rebooted or remade?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm actually shocked by how much shitty sci fi is out there. Netflix is loaded with sci fi TV shows that only last a season or two. It has such a bad track record on TV and they keep pumping them out for some reason.

Black Mirror is good but it's probably not what you're talking about.

The problem with both sci-fi and fantasy on film is that it takes a fantastic amount of money to make it look good compared to more grounded fiction that doesn't require a lot of CG or exotic sets. In the 90's sci-fi was cheaper with practical effects, bad CG (I love you Babylon 5), and small sets that got regular use. People joke about the rubber appliance aliens from Star Trek, but I would wager expensive episodes of TNG were cheaper to produce than cheap Expanse episodes after inflation was taken into account.

Sci-fi and fantasy stories are always better in novel form where 1 person can tell a story. Oddly enough videogames are a better venue for sci-fi and fantasy than film now that developers are taking their stories seriously, as there isn't much of a difference in budgets based purely on the setting genera.

WoJ

I'm rewatching Farscape right now and forgot how good it was. I wish we had more seasons of Firefly. I never got into the Expanse but it's on the list of shows to watch. BSG was great up until season 4 as others have said. Man, I wish there was more of this stuff.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Mandalorian, is pretty big. And so are all the Marvel shows. They would all fall under Sci-Fi.

I don't think there is anything fun out there anymore like Farscape or Babylon 5, Lex, or even Andromeda.

Tranquil

Wish we had more episodic sci fi. I like self contained episodes from TNG, Voyager, Outer Limits, Farscape, Sliders, etc.

Discovery and Picard were hard to follow what was going on and I got bored watching them.

Need to check out Expanse.

BSG was an amazing show, even if it's a serial, loved every episode.

There is a market. But it's smaller. And the shows are more expensive. And even though nerd stuff has grown mainstream, superhero stuff has kind of cornered the broader geek market.

The Expanse has been good but yeah that's about it. Shows with actual Sci-Fi concepts are few and far between.

I have no idea how Star Trek is ramping up to like the 4 or 5 shows they're doing now but... Trek ain't it anymore. I guess the new Trek shows have some rehashed sci-fi concepts but they treat them with so little intelligence I don't think I can consider them to be the same genre as the previous era.

My suggestion is to spend more time reading books and less time hoping to get something out of Hollywood.

Fbh

Given how many shitty SciFi schows Netflix pumps out I imagine they have the metrics to show people are interested.
It's just a shame the quality usually isn't there

T8SC

Yes:

BL-EisenhornReveal-crop.jpg

NahaNago

Of course there is. Star trek is just an easy win since you have an established audience for it. Your best bet with this would be to use an established brand that already has a faithful audience and then go from there. I honestly can't name one since I'm more into fantasy. Well if were talking about bringing back scifi tv then I would like a tv show based off Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. You get to deal with tons of aliens, unique environments, and new stories. It would be a bit expensive since I believe you only have the two humans and every one else would either be in suits or cg. Ghost in the shell would be great but complicated to cast for. Trigun as a series of movies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There doesn't even seem to be a big market for low-budget Sci Fi these days

Still pissed that Dark Matter got cancelled after a cliffhanger.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I would consider TNG/B5/DS9/StarGate/Sliders/Farscape/XFiles to be the Golden Age. I mean what more could you possibly ask for in a decade....
Yeah, not that long ago Friday nights consisted of Stargate SG-1 / BSG / Stargate Atlantis all in a row on Sci-Fi Channel. Probably the peak for sci-fi TV.

Expanse is great though.

Yes:

BL-EisenhornReveal-crop.jpg

No, no no no no no no no no NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

The only way this could ever possibly be worth watching is if a prominent 40k author like Dan Abnett has total control over the script, and GW has sole creative control over every single aspect.

Don't let Hollywood fuck this up GW.

Top Bottom