• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a reason why America loves movie/TV show titles with the word "American" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
America likes contemplating itself?

It also likes to examine itself ie American Psycho being an example of 80s consumerism.
Once Upon a Time in America, American Me, American Gangster, are others.

Having American in the title doesn't automatically mean it's total jingoism.

MilkyJoe

obamalaugh.jpg

If any single one of your countries had a movie industry as big as the US you'd get lots of localized remakes too, but you don't.

Yeah that's something to be proud of. Can't you just enjoy a foreign movie without butchering it for a cheap money grab?

Oppo

well it's not like they've heard of other places...

yeah noticed this years ago, they just love - nay, lurve- American in titles.

that Clooney movie The American, I burst out laughing when I saw that. like they ran out of modifiers.

Aselith

Yeah that's something to be proud of. Can't you just enjoy a foreign movie without butchering it for a cheap money grab?

Well we want to make you guys feel good about making an okay movie but obviously we don't want to watch the shit version that you made. So, we remake it better and then complain about it being bad even though it's better to give you the technical W.

NekoFever

I always thought it was weird that Pop Idol became American Idol when it crossed the Atlantic. Like, surely going from a universal pop idol to just an idol in America is a downgrade?

That list goes back to 1951. That's 65 years of movies and TV shows. Frankly, I'm almost disappointed in my country that the list is so short!

MilkyJoe

Well we want to make you guys feel good about making an okay movie but obviously we don't want to watch the shit version that you made. So, we remake it better and then complain about it being bad even though it's better to give you the technical W.

Yeah cause that's usually the outcome

Oppo

Yeah, we go along with it like "yeah UK office is totally better!" then laugh about it later. Foreigners are cute.

you guys never know when to quit with the disdain act. you have a little go and then get called on it, do you smile and wink? no, you double down. gets me every time. see: every thread about metric

You have a German username. Are you just a poser or what?

I never use "Jain". That's just weird.

Case in point, in Germany this show is just "The Great Baking". And it's teeeeeerrrrible in German. The production must be done by soulless robots.
efficient German robots

No just of german mother tongue.

Das Große Backen is weird and that woman is really cringeworthy.

No to "Jain" just no.

It's a popular naming convention, but the list in the overstates this quite significantly. Factor out sequels, shit no one has ever watched, and satirical titles that are meant to mock the naming convention and the list gets a good but shorter. But more importantly, even then most of the remaining items are still in some part referential. It's not so much several films separately celebrating 'Murrica as it is films tapping into an existing naming conventions to convey some sort of referential message, either in tribute or in parody.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
because you need to differentiate Americans from the lower filth

but yeah, I noticed that too. The word America and all the possible variations is thrown around rather abundandly in music, cinema, tv, conversations etc etc

scamander

Banned

Lol, good one. Name ONE US remake that's better than the Original. Just one.
Yeah, didn't think so

Oh btw- the reason you are doing remakes in the first place is because you are either too lazy or slow to read subtitles AND not interested in anything remotely different from American "culture". Which is also the reason there are that many US-films/ TV series etc. with the word "American" in it in the first place. And now we've come full circle. ;)

I always thought it was weird that Pop Idol became American Idol when it crossed the Atlantic. Like, surely going from a universal pop idol to just an idol in America is a downgrade?

Every international version had to drop the "Pop", because the production company of Popstars sued them.

Monocle

This thread awakened me to the disgusting possibility that some posters aren't American. Say it's not true. Tell me it isn't so!

Do we? Your list spans back to 1963. Given how many movies and shows we've created in that time, that list doesn't seem enough to say that we "love it."

oti

Banned
Making remakes (for the US domestic market) makes total sense from a business standpoint. So what if they end up being worse than the original?

What Americanzz call thiz tho

SH021702080000

tokkun

Yeah, didn't think so

Come on, this is easy. The Ring is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Ringu. It's not even close. And I say this as someone who likes Asian horror movies and as the sort of elitist who would normally scoff at movies being remade for the US.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Considering how much media is put out every year that list doesn't seem very long.
If someone actually cared we could check percentages of how many films produced in America contain "America(n)" in the title compared to other nations, but that sounds like a lot of work so... zzZ

Monocle

Yeah, didn't think so

Oh btw- the reason you are doing remakes in the first place is because you are either too lazy or slow to read subtitles AND not interested in anything remotely different from American "culture". Which is also the reason there are that many US-films/ TV series etc. with the word "American" in it in the first place. And now we've come full circle. ;)

Every international version had to drop the "Pop", because the production company of Popstars sued them.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake was excellent. Not better than the original, but maybe equally good in a different way. In any case, its quality justifies its existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom