• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this era of playstation gone forever?

Ronin_7

Banned
Doubt we'll have those Big showcases anymore, especially in person from SONY mainly because the Cost involved.

Nintendo changed the game with their Direct style presentation.

Crayon

The ceo and fandom engagement stuff is not important. It's nice to have games to look forward to but if their fan outreach or popularity of the ceo is affecting your enjoyment you might be in too deep.

vivftp

At the moment? One would be nice.
We ain't talking about there being not "enough"
There has been nothing.
3rd Parties have been delivering.
Anything to be excited about for Playstation was announced by insomniac in 2021

To me, the whole situation is pretty easy to explain. Sony planned to end the PS4 gen and start the PS5 gen with wall to wall games and come out swinging. They ended the PS4 gen with a bang, but the pandemic fucked up their plans to really come out swinging for the PS5. The heavy hitters for their 2021 lineup got pushed to 2022 and console production was heavily impacted up until the middle of this year. They were able to stretch out the marketing of already announced titles - again, why announce the next wave of games when you're already selling every single console you produce immediately and are heavily supply constrained?

Now with God of War released, they've gone through all the major FP titles they announced back in 2020, and we're pending the new wave of marketing for their next group of games. The effects of the pandemic are now wearing off. Console production is ramping up in a big way, and game development is normalized.

We're at the tipping point, which is why I'm feeling we'll be getting their showcase early 2023. We know they've got "over 25" games in development at SIE, and once we break that down per studio that figure most likely doesn't even include XDEV projects or exclusivity deals. Jimbo has also stated that 2 new live service games will launch before the end of this FY, meaning they're not that far off.

In the meantime, as a PlayStation gamer/fan we've got plenty to look forward to in the first quarter of 2023 with...

- Forspoken
- PSVR2's launch and launch lineup, including first party Horizon CotM
- Destiny 2 Lightfall
- TLOU Part 1's PC release
- TLOU HBO series

Add in 2 unannounced live service games, and that's quite a decent quarter on its own.

ElCasual

Yes, is gone and Jim Ryan was tje
Except for Bloodborne I think Sony has released better games on ps5 that the first years on ps4 - by a fair margain.

Returnal, Demons, Ratchet, GT7, Ragnarok, Astro and even Horizon 2 (which was a bit of a ley down gameplay wise imo)

I am not worried
They was made un the Layden's era.

SpokkX

To me, the whole situation is pretty easy to explain. Sony planned to end the PS4 gen and start the PS5 gen with wall to wall games and come out swinging. They ended the PS4 gen with a bang, but the pandemic fucked up their plans to really come out swinging for the PS5. The heavy hitters for their 2021 lineup got pushed to 2022 and console production was heavily impacted up until the middle of this year. They were able to stretch out the marketing of already announced titles - again, why announce the next wave of games when you're already selling every single console you produce immediately and are heavily supply constrained?

Now with God of War released, they've gone through all the major FP titles they announced back in 2020, and we're pending the new wave of marketing for their next group of games. The effects of the pandemic are now wearing off. Console production is ramping up in a big way, and game development is normalized.

We're at the tipping point, which is why I'm feeling we'll be getting their showcase early 2023. We know they've got "over 25" games in development at SIE, and once we break that down per studio that figure most likely doesn't even include XDEV projects or exclusivity deals. Jimbo has also stated that 2 new live service games will launch before the end of this FY, meaning they're not that far off.

In the meantime, as a PlayStation gamer/fan we've got plenty to look forward to in the first quarter of 2023 with...

- Forspoken
- PSVR2's launch and launch lineup, including first party Horizon CotM
- Destiny 2 Lightfall
- TLOU Part 1's PC release
- TLOU HBO series

Add in 2 unannounced live service games, and that's quite a decent quarter on its own.
Sorry but that q1 seems awful

Forsaken seems like a trainwreck..
Destiny? That is for a specific crowd
Tlou tv series? That is not even a game

vivftp

Sorry but that q1 seems awful

Forsaken seems like a trainwreck..
Destiny? That is for a specific crowd
Tlou tv series? That is not even a game

We'll see how Forspoken fares once the full game comes out along with reviews
Destiny being for a specific crowd? Yeah, that same line applies to every single game in existence. It's a specific crowd of many millions of gamers
TLOU HBO is a PlayStation initiative, and we were talking about stuff that Jim Ryan has done since taking over. This is actually an example of an initiative started under his watch. It's part of the brand and will further the reach of this IP

Beyond that, as mentioned we've got two unannounced live service games, the launch of PSVR2 and its entire lineup which includes Horizon CotM and Firewall Ultra. And that's just what we know about so far.

ProtoByte

Im less vexed about the pricing than I am communication. These days when playstation has something to say, its about trying to stop Microsoft from purchasing Activision, not getting their community excited for the future.
It's not a coincidence that Sony's unusual quietness stretches in the same year as their competitor tries to purchase the largest 3rd party game publisher in the western hemisphere; which owns the franchise that tops the charts every year on the year by a wide margin regardless of quality; which people spend a disproportionate amount of time playing.

The good news is that when this acquisition crap has been settled and Sony does have a showcase, they will have a lot more to potentially show than they would this past September.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Attitude comes and goes sometimes when you need it. Just look at the Attitude Era. When you need to fight you fuck the friendly image. When you’re winning you stay PG. you need the people to carry it off though, like a perfect storm. Could Ryan have attitude? No.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
If Sony falls behind Microsoft again we'll see a return to this gregarious, customer-focused PlayStation team again. As long as they're coasting on top without it looking like their fortunes could change any time soon, probably not.

I really enjoyed that happy PlayStation team and image from about 2008 until 2015, but I knew it was all in effort towards regaining trust and dominating Microsoft. I wasn't surprised when after the success of the PS4/Pro they went back to being kind of sterile and uncommunicative.

EDMIX

Do you think they will become more communicative next year?

Why?

Some of you are obsessed with this shit and more evidence points to that being more negative then positive.

So trying to stack years and years worth of development into 1 showcase, forcing developers to literally halt development to make preview and event builds, showing shit waaaaay too early before other systems have been put in causing folks to just bitch about downgrades or worse, exaggerate what they felt the game was "suppose" be based on years of over analyzing a trailer...

We saw that with Witcher 3, CP2077 and granted a lot of that was CDPR's own fault, but do some of you not see how theses early ass announcements can have a more negative effect then positive on development?

Even how the system was revealed. Sony didn't need to try to rush and have some PS5 reveal on top of several hundred games also being revealed at some E3 event.

They showed a controller online, put out an article on WIRED and they were they only things folks where talking about for weeks, they were trending on google as the top search and owned the media cycle....

That might make you upset that you didn't get some MASSIVE HUGE event or some shit with hundreds of games announced, but the goal of how they are marketing now is to be heard, to own the media cycle, to show shit when its ready and relevant. There is more dangers to this fucking dog pile reveal during a few days then many realize and this desperation of wanting to know years and years in advance is silly.

Until then...no one is fucking avoiding Spiderman 2 cause you didn't get a trailer this year bud, no one is NOT BUYING some big AAA title all cause they didn't hear about it 5 years ago or something weird like that. Gamers care when close, relevant and in a form that they can understand the concept of the game.

The records they have recently broken with those games literally proves 99.9% actually don't give a shit. They care about the quality of the title when it gets hear, the quality of the hardware when it gets here. So I do think you'll hear them say more next year, but after releases. After you get a big release, they reveal another title, release...reveal and so on. I don't buy that someone is dying over this shit or basing if literally buying games based on this.

AeonGaidenRaiden AeonGaidenRaiden Agreed. Even with how Ubisoft has shown titles over the years, they seem to only want to show their big AAA stuff when its really near release and you can see gameplay, the fact that we just got titles, code names of the other AC titles show they don't have a interest in doing these huge blow out reveals of titles even if they are in development, they'd rather give you a name and move on as they wish to avoid a situation like Watchdogs 1 and Division 1 reveal.

Even with Nintendo, they have nothing to gain telling folks years ahead when something is coming knowing that things change in development. So I believe the shotgun marketing approach for gaming will continue and how social media is, that is going to method of reveal for games going forward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom