• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this era of playstation gone forever?

Live service games don't require the same sort of multi-month/year marketing build-up that single player games do, especially if any of them are F2P. My guess for the two titles are TLOU MP and Helldivers 2. Jimbo made the statement about releasing them this FY just a few months ago, so one would presume he knew what he was talking about at the time. Plus timing the TLOU MP game to come out near the TLOU HBO series will allow them to build off of one another for marketing/hype. Twisted Metal, I would expect to come out closer to the release of the new show, which could be later next year since they've already finished filming.

All the first party and console exclusive stuff we know about so far are:

Spider-Man 2
Horizon CotM
Horizon FW Burning Shores
Forspoken
Final Fantasy 16
RE8 PSVR2 mode
2 live service games launching before the end of the FY (guessing TLOU MP and Helldivers 2)
MLB23
Destiny 2 Lightfall
Stellar Blade
Firewall Ultra

If TLOU MP was ready to launch for the release of the TV show, they would have started cross promoting it now anyways.

vivftp

If TLOU MP was ready to launch for the release of the TV show, they would have started cross promoting it now anyways.

Not necessarily. The series doesn't launch until mid-January and will run for the next couple of months for the first season. The MP game could drop anytime within that period. If it does wind up being a F2P game then it could be announced and dropped on the same day with no prior build-up, in theory.

Not necessarily. The series doesn't launch until mid-January and will run for the next couple of months for the first season. The MP game could drop anytime within that period. If it does wind up being a F2P game then it could be announced and dropped on the same day with no prior build-up, in theory.

Just doesn't make much sense. There are only going to be two larger hype periods left for the show. The premiere and the finale, but for a multiplayer game, you'd want to be advertising it EVERY week the show was on.

With about a month left before the show launches, it doesn't make much sense to wait to start advertising it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
TerribleRightBarnowl-max-1mb.gif
299!!!!!!

Belthazar

Thankfully yes, getting games announced 5 years in advance is a drag and thankfully Sony stopped doing this, as now whenever they announce a game I know I'll play it soon.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I do feel Jim Ryan has out stayed his welcome.
His only been in charge since 2019 but it seems much longer.
But in reality his is only responsible for recent stuff.
PS5 and any games that came out and are announced so far was set in stone before he even took over.
2022 was his first all hands on show....which didn't even happen.
So all he has done so far is port the Playstation library to PC and buy studios to help do that.....
WTF is this guy doing?

Last edited:

SpokkX

Except for Bloodborne I think Sony has released better games on ps5 that the first years on ps4 - by a fair margain.

Returnal, Demons, Ratchet, GT7, Ragnarok, Astro and even Horizon 2 (which was a bit of a ley down gameplay wise imo)

I am not worried

K2D

Banned
Care to elaborate on what these tides are?
No one can sit on the top forever (unless the have unlimited treasury and buy up half the market). It's highly unusual and unlikely to continue. Xbox should at the very least be able to go head to head with the competition the next couple of generations.

Sony has been king since end of the PS3 generation and up until now.

Umbasaborne

Banned
No one can sit on the top forever (unless the have unlimited treasury and buy up half the market). It's highly unusual and unlikely to continue. Xbox should at the very least be able to go head to head with the competition the next couple of generations.

Microsoft doesn’t have the games to take that title any time soon. If microsoft can make something that people care about as much as god of war, then we can have that conversation. That was halo and gears at one point, but not anymore

plip.plop

I think Jim Ryan gets a lot of unnecessary hate on most video game forums. If you don't like the direction Sony has taken you need to put the blame on the people above Jim Ryan that appointed him the head of PS over Shawn Layton. Shawn and Jim more than likely had interviews where they had to explain their strategies going forward and the Top Brass agreed that Jim and his vision/strategy would be the direction that would make them more.

vivftp

Just doesn't make much sense. There are only going to be two larger hype periods left for the show. The premiere and the finale, but for a multiplayer game, you'd want to be advertising it EVERY week the show was on.

With about a month left before the show launches, it doesn't make much sense to wait to start advertising it.

It doesn't have to land precisely on the start/end dates to have synergy with the HBO series. It could even launch after the first season is done and ride the wave of hype that the show would have built. We'll see how things go.

I do feel Jim Ryan has out stayed his welcome.
His only been in charge since 2019 but it seems much longer.
But in reality his is only responsible for recent stuff.
PS5 and any games that came out and are announced so far was set in stone before he even took over.
2022 was his first all hands on show....which didn't even happen.
So all he has done so far is port the Playstation library to PC and buy studios to help do that.....
WTF is this guy doing?

Since Jimbo took over SIE has seen the following initiatives:

- Massive expansion of all PlayStation Studios, with some going multi-project
- More acquisitions than ever before in SIE's history (Bungie, Insomniac, Firesprite, Haven, Bluepoint, Savage, Valkyrie, Nixxes)
- Formed new partnerships with studios (Deviation, Firewalk, and Haven, before they were acquired)
- PlayStation Productions was formed (10+ projects underway)
- SIE's live service game push was formed (10+ games by 2025)
- SIE's mobile game push began (still in the works)
- SIE's PC push began
- Merging PS+ and PS Now to pursue the premium subscription market
- PSVR2, which is about to launch
- Appointed Shu to head of Indies, which has seen great success

Now that supply shortages are becoming a thing of the past, PS5 console production for the next FY is likely to be anywhere between 23 million (minimum amount stated by Sony) and 30.5 million (as rumored by Tom Henderson), either of which is a record number of consoles for SIE. They're producing more games than ever before, the brand is as popular as it's ever been and are raking in cash hand over fist.

So... what precisely is the issue with Jimbo?

vivftp

Ok... but if we go back to your original statement of:

"PlayStation is flying high still. Things will change once the tides change."

Even in a situation where Xbox does very well and goes head to head with them, why couldn't PlayStation continue to "fly high"? Why does Xbox doing better = PlayStation doing worse?

sainraja

No, they are making money from your hobby.
You are just a dollar sign to them.
And how are they making that dollar?
By working on what you are calling 'hobby'.

If you are trying to highlight the fact that they are all businesses as some sort of a negative because of the dollar, well, if there was no money to be made, none of this would exist and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I will get to the point, it is a bit silly to fixate on this aspect of gaming.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Playstation under Jim Ryan has been a dissapointing run by comparison. The games are still good, which is arguably the most important aspect. But why are we going for such long periods of time now without new first party announcements?

Well, just look at the titles at those events (and the ratio from their announcement to release) to the slate PlayStation has had in 2021 and 2022...

When they have 8-12 titles coming in the next 18 months (across multiple platforms, often,) plus they have all the big publishers signing up to be a part of their group announcement event, then they can throw a big press* party.

When you have 2-4 big titles a year (and you've already teased if not shown parts of those in events like Future of PlayStation,) and big publisher partners want to reveal their dynamite games on their own stage, it makes sense to use a different strategy. Maybe temporarily, maybe not.

There's been some oddness to their marketing recently, but would it have made sense to have had a big Future of PlayStation event in June where it was mostly about promoting the upcoming PSVR2, plus more of GoW and then TLoU Part 1 revealed? We all want to see more of Spider-Man and Wolverine and the Haven project and all that stuff, but at this point those need to be gameplay showcases, and are they ready to show? Even if they added in the two China Hero games plus Stellar Blade and Rise of Ronin (all of which did get shown, just not in a splashy big festival,) is that the landmark Future of PlayStation showcase you were expecting in 2022?

(*It is kind of weird to me that people forget that E3 and stuff like that were/are press and business events. These events morphed into public "showcases" full of fun and hype for megatons, but it was only in recent times that video recordings/streaming pushed the business boilerplate down to streamline these into events for fans. Previously, the press had to tell you what all this cool shit was, and leave out the boring parts. And then, after about 10-12 years of that, these events have changed again.)

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Just gonna jot down some points...

- First party announcements have been spread out more due to pandemic delays both for games and due to supply shortages decimating all of their intended plans
- Based on rumors and Sonys own statements, they're intending to ship a record number of consoles next FY, but this year they've been struggling to get the supply issues sorted out and they've only recently begun to recover. They're selling everything they can produce and holding a first party showcase would not have moved a single extra PS5, so it would've been wasted marketing. The time for a first party showcase is when they're able to flood the market with consoles to convince folks to go out and pick one up, and it seems that we're approaching that period
- Why are they asking $550 for the new PSVR2? Because it's cutting edge technology. Do you think a platform is only defined by its initial launch lineup and not by everything else that'll come over its lifetime? Anyways, we don't even have the full official launch lineup yet.
- Sony has been adopting a strategy of focusing on marketing closer to the release of a title rather than having a long, drawn out, multi-year marketing cycle. We'll see if they keep that up once things back to normal starting next year. I for one am perfectly fine with that. Even though E3 2016 was the GOAT event ever, they completely blew their load for the next 4 years and had pretty much nothing new to show, so every year afterwards we only got to see more of the same games.

As always, it can't be overstated just how much the pandemic completely fucked up all their plans both for game releases and console production. Remember that all the heavy hitter games they released this year (GoW, HFW, GT7) were supposed to release in 2021. We don't even know what the 2022 lineup was supposed to be in a non-pandemic world. Sony intended to let the games do the talking. Here's what the 2021 lineup was supposed to be for first party and console exclusive content (timed or otherwise):

Returnal
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Destruction All-Stars
Horizon Forbidden West
Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade
God of War Ragnarok
Gran Turismo 7
Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut
Death Stranding Director's Cut
Kena Bridge of Spirits
MLB The Show 21
Deathloop
Chicory A Colorful Tale
Guilty Gear Strive
Jett The Far Shore

That was the batshit insane year they were planning for 2021 coming off the even more batshit insane year that was 2020. That's the sort of pacing they were apparently hoping to achieve before the pandemic cut them off at the knees. It's not unreasonable to speculate that they will hold a showcase in the next couple of months now that console production is ramping up, so let's see how that goes.
The problem is not so much the pandemic... The problem was the arrival of Jim Ryan on Playstation.

PS5 It is a good console, but with the misfortune of being led by satan.

K2D

Banned
Ok... but if we go back to your original statement of:

"PlayStation is flying high still. Things will change once the tides change."

Even in a situation where Xbox does very well and goes head to head with them, why couldn't PlayStation continue to "fly high"? Why does Xbox doing better = PlayStation doing worse?
Sony has had numerous of opportunities to have showcases and they have chosen not to. That will change once they have dry spells and the competition ramps up.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Gaming in general has become all about grinding and squeezing the last penny out of each project and I hate it.

Games take way to long to be made, are way to often released in an unfinished state and then are fixed and supported in the years after. It’s just sad and not the hobby I grew up with any more.

But most people seem to be ok with it so Sony and the others must do something right. It’s not for me though and if things don’t change drastically in the coming years I’ll prolly sell both PS5 and Series X and put gaming behind me. Real shame… Thought I’ll be gaming to my grave.

vivftp

Sony has had numerous of opportunities to have showcases and they have chosen not to. That will change once they have dry spells and the competition ramps up.

Sony has held 2 large third party State of Plays in 2022 and had a strong presence at TGA. We can only speculate at the reason for now first party showcase yet, I subscribe to the reasoning that it's due to lack of PS5 supply. Why deploy your biggest marketing tool at a time when it won't help you sell any more consoles than you already are because of supply shortages? All indications are that console production is rapidly increasing and will reach massive numbers during the next FY, so we're quickly approaching a period where it would make sense to hold a showcase, since they'll actually have stock out there for people to grab one.

feynoob

Banned
And how are they making that dollar?
By working on what you are calling 'hobby'.

If you are trying to highlight the fact that they are all businesses as some sort of a negative because of the dollar, well, if there was no money to be made, none of this would exist and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I will get to the point, it is a bit silly to fixate on this aspect of gaming.
Sony/MS/Nintendo and anyone who makes video games, do it because there is profit.

Hence why they only care about increasing their profit.
Methods doesn't matter as long as the end goal is profit.

Last edited:

sainraja

Sony/MS/Nintendo and anyone who makes video games, do it because there is profit.

Hence why they only care about increasing their profit.
Methods doesn't matter as long as the end goal is profit.
Are we going in circles?

I am saying it is pointless to fixate on this because you don't get one without the other (they go hand in hand). To try to separate it is pointless. If they don't give people what they want, they won't make that 'dollar' you are trying to emphasize so much. They are obviously not running a charity, I don't know why anyone would even think that. They are a business and they need to keep profits high and in order to do so, they have to feed our 'hobby'.

This is silly lol.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
"Transparent and communicative Sony" that paired with Capcom and tried to pass this off as gameplay, even adding icons on the screen, only to pretend that this game never existed later on. OP romanticizes an era that never existed.

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif
(y)

The current sony with Jim Ryan are so hypocritical, that they may be able to show the "Avatar 2" segment by saying real-time gameplay, just by putting some weapon icons or menu on the screen.

gothmog

Gold Member
I don't really miss that era. I hated waiting for games that are years out. Sony has actually made huge strides at shortening the window which I appreciate. The whole concept of console ecosystems having to have a bunch of potential libraries though announcements rather than real ones sucks in my opinion.

Gaming needed to grow up and in some ways it did. Leave the fanboy service for things like PAX and TGA.

"Transparent and communicative Sony" that paired with Capcom and tried to pass this off as gameplay, even adding icons on the screen, only to pretend that this game never existed later on. OP romanticizes an era that never existed.

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif
Still hurts my hearts I waited so long for this game still waiting.After the amazing dragons dogma I had so much hope for this game and the graphics were are still one of a kind .But wierd Capcom told the press that this demo run on a 580 from Nvidia which was below the PS4 and this game didn’t happen.

It doesn't have to land precisely on the start/end dates to have synergy with the HBO series. It could even launch after the first season is done and ride the wave of hype that the show would have built. We'll see how things go.

- More acquisitions than ever before in SIE's history (Bungie, Insomniac, Firesprite, Haven, Bluepoint, Savage, Valkyrie, Nixxes)
- Formed new partnerships with studios (Deviation, Firewalk, and Haven, before they were acquired)
- SIE's PC push began

Now that supply shortages are becoming a thing of the past, PS5 console production for the next FY is likely to be anywhere between 23 million (minimum amount stated by Sony) and 30.5 million (as rumored by Tom Henderson), either of which is a record number of consoles for SIE. They're producing more games than ever before, the brand is as popular as it's ever been and are raking in cash hand over fist.

He doesn't care about backward compatibility or underperforming Japanese games.

angrod14

Live the present, man. Announcements on themselves don't really mean much, is game releases that matter. Having less marketing isn't something worth complaining about to me.

vivftp

He doesn't care about backward compatibility or underperforming Japanese games.

You mean the BC emulation that they introduced earlier this year for some legacy platforms? It ain't a huge amount as of right now, but it's more than they had before, and it happened under Jimbos watch. Grubb had heard that they're still working on PS3 emulation at Sony.

As for Japanese games, you're no doubt referring to Japan Studio. Sony had been trying to restructure them for many years before Jimbo took charge and they were unable to do so successfully, so they eventually pulled the plug. In the meantime, Sony's kept Asobi Studio who are growing and their XDEV team has been working to expand relations with Japanese and other Asian developers. They're publishing Rise of the Ronin, their relationship with Square Enix is strong as ever, they've got PSVR2 content from Capcom, they've got DS2 from Kojima, they're publishing Stellar Blade (Korean dev) and are investing heavily into their China Hero Project. They've invested into FromSoft and chances are decent that they'll try to get another exclusive game with them. Plus of course they've still got Polyphony in Japan.

Oh, but they closed Japan Studio under Jimbos watch. Boo-friggin'-hoo, obviously that makes him the Devil, right? :rolleyes:

Under his leadership they've begun more initiatives to grow the PlayStation brand than at any point in the companies past. He's doing a good job.

You mean the BC emulation that they introduced earlier this year for some legacy platforms? It ain't a huge amount as of right now, but it's more than they had before, and it happened under Jimbos watch. Grubb had heard that they're still working on PS3 emulation at Sony.

As for Japanese games, you're no doubt referring to Japan Studio. Sony had been trying to restructure them for many years before Jimbo took charge and they were unable to do so successfully, so they eventually pulled the plug. In the meantime, Sony's kept Asobi Studio who are growing and their XDEV team has been working to expand relations with Japanese and other Asian developers. They're publishing Rise of the Ronin, their relationship with Square Enix is strong as ever, they've got PSVR2 content from Capcom, they've got DS2 from Kojima, they're publishing Stellar Blade (Korean dev) and are investing heavily into their China Hero Project. They've invested into FromSoft and chances are decent that they'll try to get another exclusive game with them. Plus of course they've still got Polyphony in Japan.

Oh, but they closed Japan Studio under Jimbos watch. Boo-friggin'-hoo, obviously that makes him the Devil, right? :rolleyes:

Under his leadership they've begun more initiatives to grow the PlayStation brand than at any point in the companies past. He's doing a good job.
I was being sarcastic.

Knightime_X

Games used to be much shorter and a lot more enjoyable.
Now, everything has to be 60+ hours long and open world with the most boring, watered down pacing known to man.

It was interesting for a handful of games, but after the novelty wore off, it feels like a chore now.

It's ok to make an Xbox 360 / ps3 game with cutting edge technology.
(Always wondered what N64 \ ps2 games would look like using Nanite and Lumen tech)
Game is only 3-7 hours long? Cool! Lets go.

Bottom line is most of those games didn't need years and years to make.
The games you were most fond of from rockstar started early on in the ps2 days, maybe even ps1 for some.

It's ok for a game to have an omega huge budget and production if it wants to, but it's also ok for the same companies to make smaller games as well.. If they want to.

Last edited:

TGO

- SIE's PC push began

The thing that is most important.
Results.
Other than the cluster fuck that is PS+ Premium the only thing he has delivered is PC ports.
Like I said in the other thread, Playstation Studios has been dormant since he took over.
The only things they have been working on was put into play before he took over.
And 2022 is the result of his leadership.
Maybe he has got fantastic long term plans.
And it will pay off, but the Second Year of the Playstation 5 has been you most uneventful second year of any console.
To our knowledge insomniac is carrying Playstation next year alone and beyond that is unknown.
And based on how long games are taking to come out?
it's a bit worrying.

vivftp

The thing that is most important.
Results.
Other than the cluster fuck that is PS+ Premium the only thing he has delivered is PC ports.
Like I said in the other thread, Playstation Studios has been dormant since he took over.
The only things they have been working on was put into play before he took over.
And 2022 is the result of his leadership.
Maybe he has got fantastic long term plans.
And it will pay off, but the Second Year of the Playstation 5 has been you most uneventful second year of any console.
To our knowledge insomniac is carrying Playstation next year alone and beyond that is unknown.
And based on how long games are taking to come out?
it's a bit worrying.

AAA game development is averaging 4-5 years and Jimbo's been in charge for 3.5 years. Exactly how much content are you expecting to see that was greenlit after he took charge?

As for 2022, do you happen to think the fallout of the pandemic and massive supply constraints for the first half of the year (which have only recently begun to get much better) might have something to do with holding back on first party announcements? Other than that, in 2022 they released some great titles, they had some superb third party State of Plays and ended it with a great showing at TGA.

There honestly is nothing to worry about. The entire organization is doing phenomenally.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yes, your most nostalgic period in life where you felt the happiest is over. Welcome to the rest of your life which will be filled with nothing but misery... at least until another 10 years from now when you will look back at today again and think it was better than whatever will be going on then.

matthew-broderick-its-over-go-home.gif

TGO

Exactly how much content are you expecting to see that was greenlit after he took charge?
At the moment? One would be nice.
We ain't talking about there being not "enough"
There has been nothing.
3rd Parties have been delivering.
Anything to be excited about for Playstation was announced by insomniac in 2021

Brigandier

They've been the king since PS1...

nowhat

Outlook good
You may rely on it
Yes
It is decidedly so
Without a doubt

I personally don't think so, but the magic 8 ball called it, who am I to argue. So yeah, Playstation is toast. It had a good run while it lasted.

Now, can we not have the same thread repeated weekly or even daily? That'd be great.

Top Bottom