• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this One of the worst videogame articles ever published?

Marvel14

Banned
Oh Boy

So Kotaku |edit :《contributor》 | editor in chief (f. Me) Patricia Hernandez just lost her shit claiming Miyamoto "accidentally" trolled everyone during the recent Nintendo direct.

First off, trolling is one of the most purposeful things people do. How does one do it accidentally and does that qualify as trolling?

Beyond that philosophical conundrum, Miyamoto's trolling is apparently having the gall to tease a big announcement by his very presence on screen and then going on to discuss small news tidbits on Super Nintendo Land, the Super Mario movie and the Pikmin mobile game.

He then has the nerve to remind folk the age of the Pikmin franchise - an ignomy Zelda and Mario have never had to suffer - as an intro to announcing Pikmin 4 which is apparently not big enough of a game to merit his presence. That is the troll. Let's of course ignore that Pikmin is his baby and he's been announcing new Pikmin titles for years.

We have reached the point in the Internet when the phrase "Non-article" needs to be a thing - a useless piece of writing telling us nothing, pretending to be newsworthy or insightful and only existing because somebody somewhere needs to produce content and some clicks.

Feel free to post your own examples of "Non articles" so we can point and shake our heads at them.

SMH

Edit: and the tagline congratulating Pikmin fans has absolutely no relation to the title of the article.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yeah, don't even go there and no one click on that link, everyone leave please:

Get Out Episode 3 GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

El Muerto

Kotaku is for entertainment purposes, like Fox News. Dont take it seriously as it's not real journalism.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is the result of an industry driven by clicks. These writers have click quotas so they just make shit up for hate clicks. Vicious cycle and nobody wins.
Exactly.

Traditional media like newspapers is an informative kind of medium. Yes, there's entertaining editorial and opinion pieces, but it's more about informing the masses what's going on. But for all the subjective content, it's still done in a professional way. Magazines are more for entertainment with big bright colours, tons of images, reviews etc....

You can only get so many sources focusing on informative articles, which the content becomes day old news if you dont get it right away. Their best clicked content is surely their hot take articles, since nobody seems to ever bring up their mainstream content that other sites match in info.

I peg them similar to The Toronto Sun. If you want more in depth and classy info, you read the G&M or National Post. For mainstream stuff Toronto Star. If you want to read opinion pieces, the daily cartoon making fun of someone with exaggerated looks, stare at The Sunshine Girl, and see junky stereo and car ads on every other page, you buy The Sun. It's such low quality content, even the ink from the paper gets on your fingers more than the other papers.

Last edited:

MacReady13

The guy could walk onstage and take a fat shit and I’d still brainlessly applaud. The guy created Mario and Zelda for fucks sake. If he wants to do some passion projects like cinema, theme parks and Pikmin (yet another one of his creations) in later life, so be it.
For mine he is for video games what Spielberg was for my generation of film. The guy is the greatest and if wants to come out and talk about stuff he's passionate about, then he's well and truly earned that right.

Pejo

Patricia Hernandez is one of the gifts that keep on giving, if you prefer gifts of absolutely batshit insane articles. When I saw her name in the OP, I knew instantly it was going to be trash.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My sweet lord, she is still employed by them? LOL. She's like a worst gaming article machine.
Most game writers seem to be freelancers selling their shitty articles they write for probably $60. To make a living they got to churn out endless content hoping the site (or sites) they work for upload it. I have a hard time believing many video game writers are on a good salary.

coffinbirth

Most game writers seem to be freelancers selling their shitty articles they write for probably $60. To make a living they got to churn out endless content hoping the site (or sites) they work for upload it. I have a hard time believing many video game writers are on a good salary.
She might be now(no clue, don't go there anymore) but back when I was frequenting that shithole years ago, she was a main writer with an office in the NYC headquarters.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
She might be now(no clue, don't go there anymore) but back when I was frequenting that shithole years ago, she was a main writer with an office in the NYC headquarters.
Good god.

We’ll, for all you gaffers out there who can’t find a job and can churn out a hit piece every so often, get into video game editorials.

If her articles can get posted, any can.

I’ll even give any of you wannabe writers some topics to think about:

Are games sold at $69.99 meant to promote sex?

Is it fair to be blacklisted from game companies for spilling corporate secrets?

GymWolf

Imagine reading kotaku in 2022.

But this article is probably not even in their top 10 of shittiest articles.

Last edited:

consoul

Not that I'd want to defend anything Kotaku does, but I don't think the concept of accidental trolling is really a problem.

Calling it accidental acknowledges that it wasn't intentional. The audience could feel like they were trolled, even though Shigs didn't intend that.

I'm OK with the turn of phrase. The article itself didn't need to exist, but that's true of mostly everything on the internet.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned

Kotaku is for entertainment purposes, like Fox News. Dont take it seriously as it's not real journalism.

Nah guys. These all read like personal blog posts that only your close friends would read. Not news, not very interesting or readable but not worthless clickbait pretending to be news insights either...

Still think that accidentally trolling Miyamoto wins.

Top Bottom