• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the shittiest 'greatest tv shows of all time' list? (Empire)

KielCasto

I didn’t get The OA, Community, and HIMYM when they aired, so those 3 stood out. But other than that, I’m fine with the list.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Seinfeld blows. Their schtick is pedantic. Glad to see others recognizing it.

366279D8-5264-4CB1-B26B-445F0960C1B3.gif

Kev Kev

Now I'm remembered about canceling The OA.. loved it..

It's a shitty list, but the OA is one of the best shows on Netflix (though certainly not top-ten-all-time). It's a serious shame that it was cancelled.

And, just because it annoys me when people post this .gif, they explicitly mention how stupid the movements are NUMEROUS times. The stupidity of the movements is a significant part of the plot.
Unless the argument is that multiple dimensions and time travel and whatnot are stupid, in which case that puts OA on the same level as pretty much any sci-fi ever made.

Same

Yup. besides the movements the show is absolutely incredible. I wont ever forgive netflix for canceling it, she said she had 5 seasons written, and i really want to see more.

At least The OA got in the top 10!

That show was really something special.

I think it will have legs like Twin Peaks where people will still be talking about it 30 years later.
it was really great. i love the frst season, and there is a feeling/atmosphere to it that the second season is missing, but that second season is legit some of the best television ive ever seen. i was really blown away with the insane direction they were going, and i loved how weird it was.

i dont even mind the movement. there is somewhat of a genetic memory, primal theme to the show, and the movements remind of something that is genetically locked insinde of us that can only be activated by a primal, ritualistic dance. perhaps it has been passed down through generations and across dimensions since ht beginning of time.

i dont know though, hell none of us do! and there are so many questions i have left :messenger_weary:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I agree with BB, The Wire, Sopranos, Twin Peaks, but you're putting Friends right there.... LOL fuck off.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
i dont even mind the movement. there is somewhat of a genetic memory, primal theme to the show, and the movements remind of something that is genetically locked insinde of us that can only be activated by a primal, ritualistic dance. perhaps it has been passed down through generations and across dimensions since ht beginning of time.

i dont know though, hell none of us do! and there are so many questions i have left :messenger_weary:

It's been a while but yeah, that whole concept gave me goosebumps. I think your interpretation is quite on point. For me it felt like some disclosure regarding ancient knowledge lol. Got hyped af.

Bragr

Banned
Peaky Blinders? over South Park and the original Star Trek? Stranger Things over Faulty Towers?

The US Office over the UK Office?

True Detective at 60?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this bullshit.

Spaceman292

Banned
https://www.empireonline.com/amp/tv/features/best-tv-shows-ever-2/

I know opinions and all but wtf!
Seinfeld at 21! I have never seen Seinfeld lower than 10, maybe even 5, in any such list ever.
The OA (yes!) Is above Seinfeld, at number 7. Friends at number 5, higher than Seinfeld and west wing. Buffy, lost are also higher. Game of thrones at 2 while Chernobyl stuck at some shitty number.
This list is pure garbage.
Seinfeld was never funny

Fbh

They may have petered out, but at their zenith they were enthralling, water cooler worthy and cultural icons. They deserve their spot.

I disagree.
If these were more episodic shows I could see you point, as that format allows for the good parts to stand on their own. Like I'd be ok with The Simpsons showing up on a greatest animated show list because as shit as it has been for years, the earlier seasons are still great and work well on their own even if you ignore the rest.

But GOT and Lost are serialized. IMO you can't just look at the good parts in a vacuum and call it a good show since they don't really work on their own. Even during those good parts a lot of the enjoyments comes from following the story and seeing where it all leads. How engaged I was with the various mysteries of Lost, for example, becomes irrelevant once I find out they didn't have answers for any (or most) of them

Bragr

Banned
They do the move to basically to do the following: Referred to as the Five Movements, the routine has the power to raise the dead, facilitate interdimensional travel,
they look cheesy and stupid, but even with how stupid they look it’s probably the best Netflix original story out there.
Wait, do they do that dance more than once?

bitbydeath

it’s probably the best Netflix original story out there.
Have you tried Dark, Cobra Kai, Umbrella Academy, Ozark, Russian Doll, End of the fucking world, Santa Clarita Diet, or Alice in Borderland?

There’s probably others I’m forgetting but Netflix has a ton of awesome original shows.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I havent watched tv series in decades as I just watch sports. But I've dabbled with watching popular series, which I found boring as hell. I tried watching Sopranos and Game of Thrones. Watched 5-6 season 1 episodes and found it to be so boring I quit. Only thing I remember is James Gandolfini strangling a guy with a wire and Emilia Clarke nude.

My most fav shows are:

- Married with Children seasons 2-6
- Simpsons seasons 2-6 or 7
- Three's Company seasons 3-7
- Melrose Place and 90210. Maybe up to season 5
- Night Court (not the early or late episodes, but somewhere in the middle with hot Markie Post)
- Batman Animated Series
- Beavis & Butthead
- Intervention
- Band of Brothers (not a tv series in a traditional sense as it was just a 10 part series). The Pacific was shit
- Biography
- Storage Wars (when I had A&E or whatever special cable channel it was on)
- America's Most Wanted
- COPS
- Forensic Files
- Nova

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Have you tried Dark, Cobra Kai, Umbrella Academy, Ozark, Russian Doll, End of the fucking world, Santa Clarita Diet, or Alice in Borderland?

There’s probably others I’m forgetting but Netflix has a ton of awesome original shows.
Yeah seen all those. Dark is up there too as one of the best. i liked all those except Russian.

Zeroing

Banned
As much as I love Rome, I don't think you can't call it the best of all time just purely because the show was compromised by being forced to wrap up early with all its story lines being compressed into like, the 5 remaining episodes.

That being said, I think it deserves a lot of credit for doing the best job of showing an uncompromising look at a historical culture(even if it overemphasizes a lot of the sexuality and mis-characterises a lot of the figures for drama) and not being afraid of making a contemporary viewer feel uncomfortable.
Rome has 2 versions, the version shown on European tv is quite different, has more length than the streaming version/HBO version

I agree it was canceled when it was starting attracting attention, it was a mistake.

Nico_D

The correct answer is for drama:

Farscape
The Shield
The Wire
The X-Files
Lost
Twin Peaks
The Cracker (UK)
Homeland
Carnivale
True Detective season 1
The Expanse
Legion
Fargo s1-s3

For comedy

Frasier
Fawlty Towers
Fleabag
The Office (Uk)
Jeeves & Wooster
Mr Bean

Hari Seldon

Band of Brothers #1 for sure, nothing else has ever come close. I'd swap Rome and Game of Thrones entirely lol. A decent list but the ordering is all fucked up.

But if they are including current shows, For all Mankind and Morning Show should be on there. Apple TV is basically HBO when HBO was actually good and not garbage.

Top Bottom