• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s about time Sony showed PS3 some respect (VGC)

Sony and Jim Ryan can kiss my ass for not remastering or emulating some of the most wanted ps3 games by now. I should've known this wouldn't happen.

Sony continues to go in a direction I don't like with their ps plus rebranding and all the latest talk of live services. The thing that gets me the most? They're raising the price of ps plus but there's no option for the people who don't care about monthly "free" games. Some of us just want to be able to play the occasional game we bought online without feeling like we're being ripped off. There should be a tier that's really cheap for JUST the ability to play online multiplayer!

mrabott

Invest millions in a PS3 emulator or a new AAA game?

Easy a new AAA game for me.
Call me stupid but I don't understand how Sony would spend so much money. The engineers are already paid, the machines are already there, just put the people to work.

mrabott

Most people don’t give a shit about DOWNLOADING ps3 games.

Most people don’t even care about playing them, period. The minority probably have a ps3 slim sitting around somewhere with 100 games. Most gamers will try a game or two and forget all about it.

Sony have the numbers, they know people dont really care outside of the vocal minority. Not worth the investment for local emulation
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't really care about old games. My time is short, between playing a new game, fresh, or playing one I've already played, I go with the first option, always.

ethomaz

Banned
Call me stupid but I don't understand how Sony would spend so much money. The engineers are already paid, the machines are already there, just put the people to work.
That… not how it works.

For example when you allocate a employee to do a Job you are accounting these costs at determined cost center… that cost center that will basically pay your salary.

For example when I worked for IBM my salary was not paid by directly by IBM but the cost center of the projects I appointed my hours… for example if I worked for Multiplus Fidelidade’s project for 40 hours then these 40 hours have to be paid by that project (the project got their revenue to pay me from the mensal contract bill they had with Multiplus).

Same for Sony I believe (or any other big company).

If you are working for PS3 Emulation some cost center needs to have the budget to pay you… just like if you are working for Santa Monica the cost center Santa Monica needs to pay you. Santa Monica will get the money from their reserves or investments and after from the game sales to recover the reserves or investing money.

In any case the cost center needs always be in the blue… if a cost center is using more money than it can receive then their something very wrong and can scale to a point that the company can’t help and need to kill that cost center.

In easy terms the employees at Sony already allocated… to make them or hire more to work on PS3 emulation they need to find investment to pay these employees… in that case it probably come from R&D cost center but the R&D is limited per year and needs to be approved by the board.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That… not how it works.

For example when you allocate a employee to do a Job you are accounting these costs at determined cost center… that cost center that will basically pay your salary.

For example when I worked for IBM my salary was not paid by directly by IBM but the cost center of the projects I appointed my hours… for example if I worked for Multiplus Fidelidade’s project for 40 hours then these 40 hours have to be paid by that project (the project got their revenue to pay me from the mensal contract bill they had with Multiplus).

If you are working for PS3 Emulation some cost center needs to have the budget to pay you… just like if you are working for Santa Monica the cost center Santa Monica needs to pay you. Santa Monica will get the money from their reserves or investments and after from the game sales to recover the reserves or investing money.

In any case the cost center needs always be in the blue… if a cost center is using more money than it can receive then their something very wrong and can scale to a point that the company can’t help and need to kill that cost center.

In easy terms the employees at Sony already allocated… to make them or hire more to work on PS3 emulation they need to find investment to pay these employees… in that case it probably come from R&D cost center but the R&D is limited per year and needs to be approved by the board.

That's a very long winded reply.

We already know sony has some top tier engineers in their ICE team who go around helping other studios. Something like this can be work easily delegated to them between projects.

Again, the only thing preventing this is Sony's upper management not seeing it as a necessary feature right now.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That's a very long winded reply.

We already know sony has some top tier engineers in their ICE team who go around helping other studios. Something like this can be work easily delegated to them between projects.

Again, the only thing preventing this is Sony's upper management not seeing it as a necessary feature right now.
That is not how the ICE Team works.

The guy asked why Sony needs to expend money to that happen… and I explained why.

It is not like the employees are there doing nothing…. You guys are really crazy.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Out of all their consoles, PS3 was by far the worst one. It's not even close. Well, unless you consider the vita.

Last edited:

mrabott

That… not how it works.

Thank's man. I understand better now.

chasimus

I'm still disappointed MotorStorm/Pacific Rift are still stuck on the PS3 platform. Besides Burnout Paradise, those are the best racing games I've played

93xfan

Banned
Most people don’t give a shit about DOWNLOADING ps3 games.

Most people don’t even care about playing them, period. The minority probably have a ps3 slim sitting around somewhere with 100 games. Most gamers will try a game or two and forget all about it.

Sony have the numbers, they know people dont really care outside of the vocal minority. Not worth the investment for local emulation
True, people don’t care at all about older games. That’s why a Goldeneye Remaster keeps making the news. And definitely no one interested in the TMNT collection.

If NightDive can make money off of some relatively obscure games, Sony could do fine with PS3 emulation.

And the fact that they can do native PS1 emulation and don’t allow the PS1 digital games on PS3 is inexcusable, imo.

DukeOfX

Neo Member
They/SONY should invest millions in remastering or remaking the PS3/classics.

At this stage no one wants to play sub 30 fps stuff, with sub low level AF, Screen Tearing ... and they should use the millions to make new IPs. ..
Oh...so much this!

MGS4, went back this year to play it on my PS 3 and it runs like shit during gunfights. Couldn't go through the whole game. And who can forget the loadings in Grand Turismo 5?

David B

An Idiot
Xbox, 360, One, and Series X/S are all x86 x64 architecture. The 360 and PS3 used IBM parts. However Sony went fully into the PowerPC architecture from IBM into the PS3. Microsoft however said no we don't think PowerPC is a good factor to go into so we just want 3 of the main engines so we can continue x86 architecture. And therefore Xbox 360 was much easier to make games for because it continued with the x86 code structure. I'm sure what Sony is doing is trying to make a backwards compatible configuration software like Rosetta 2 that Apple is using for Intel apps to run on the silicon ARM architecture. In the same way Sony may come to Apple for help on software that runs PowerPC architecture on the x64 architecture.

RAIDEN1

The PS3 is Sony's Saturn, (though a hell of a lot more successful) just like you never saw Sega bring out a Saturn mini, hell even one exclusive to Japan where it had its most success...

The Stig

Ps3 doesn't deserve any respect. It was a shit console. Yes, I owned one. Got the ylod multiple times. Shit console. No great exclusive games. Huge, ugly console(same as ps5). Too expensive. No redeeming qualities. Shit console.
totally disagree.

I have a 60gb. It plays PS3, PS2 AND PS games natively.

And there were plenty of great exclusives:

Uncharted 1,2,3
Ratchet and clank games
ehhh I know youre trolling, just had to type something.

Fahdis

the PS3 deserves no respect. worst PlayStation by far and all in all just an awful console.

what deserves respect is the few great games that are sadly stuck in that dogshit console like the MorotStorm games, Resistance, Infamous 1&2 or MGS4

Only if you bought the 60 GB version it was the best Console at the time in PS History. It has a better legacy library to me than the PS4 where they churned out short single player experiences at launch which failed to reach a wider audience. At least with the PS3 we got new IP's from everyone along with the old that established PS as a 1st Party Juggernaut.

wvnative

Ps3 doesn't deserve any respect. It was a shit console. Yes, I owned one. Got the ylod multiple times. Shit console. No great exclusive games. Huge, ugly console(same as ps5). Too expensive. No redeeming qualities. Shit console.

I agree it was a shit console, but it still had fantastic exclusives.

Crayon

Xbox, 360, One, and Series X/S are all x86 x64 architecture. The 360 and PS3 used IBM parts. However Sony went fully into the PowerPC architecture from IBM into the PS3. Microsoft however said no we don't think PowerPC is a good factor to go into so we just want 3 of the main engines so we can continue x86 architecture. And therefore Xbox 360 was much easier to make games for because it continued with the x86 code structure. I'm sure what Sony is doing is trying to make a backwards compatible configuration software like Rosetta 2 that Apple is using for Intel apps to run on the silicon ARM architecture. In the same way Sony may come to Apple for help on software that runs PowerPC architecture on the x64 architecture.

360 ran on power pc. I can't remember what ran on it before, maybe dreamcast? Anyway, powerpc was common enough and standard enough. I believe the 360 had three powerpc cores.

The PS3 chip was a whole custom thing based around the 7 spu things. It did have one power PC core on it to sort of orchestrate the rest of the chip and keep the spu's fed. This chip was only ever used on server blades other than the ps3 so it wasn't common knowledge like traditional power pcs.

Just sounds like you had a pretty bad experience with it. The newest iterations of the console are fine. All launch models not just the PS3 tend to be faulty.

Also, looking back those early titles are actually more creative than most of Sony's output these days. Frankly, the PS3's console design looks way more modern compared to the PS5.

Many of which have been remastered.
That doesn't detract from its library regardless. 8th gen was like an anime filler episode with the absurd amount of remade games in some fashion across the board.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Sony always has my back with them because they make the most exclusive games. Xbox makes a big lack of exclusives. Nintendo makes exclusives but it's repeatable Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. Every single gen Sony has made something new! I'm glad I stuck with PS3, PS4, and PS5. I even had PS2 through it's whole lifecycle. The PS1 I got into the last 2 years of it's life before PS2 came.

totally disagree.

I have a 60gb. It plays PS3, PS2 AND PS games natively.

And there were plenty of great exclusives:

Uncharted 1,2,3
Ratchet and clank games
ehhh I know youre trolling, just had to type something.
200.gif

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think YLOD only effected the phat PS3.

Also the slim launched at £249, 3 years after the PS3 release. But yeah, at release the PS3 was ridiculously expensive for a console.

Redeeming quality for most was the Blu-ray player. Free online was cool too.

It had plenty of amazing exclusive games.

Lone Wolf

ah yes, the PS3
the "failure" that sold 80 million units and is responsible for great games like Ratchet A crack in time, God of War 3, LittlebigPlanet, Modnation Racers, MGS4, Gran Turismo 5, Gran Turismo 6, and more
Imagine saying it's a SHIT console. couldn't be me
You forgot the Resistance trilogy!!!! And it was the best Blu-Ray and media player. My main console was the 360 but I loved the PS3.

Swift_Star

Banned
Why are you always so disrespectful?
PS3 was an amazing console where lots of classics were born, uncharted and tlou series.
Classic God of War trilogy was released there. MGS4 was also released there.
Amazing console with amazing games, I have the fondest memories of my time with it.

David B

An Idiot
If you think PS3 doesn't deserve any respect and if you also think Sony sucks, than I would expect you to watch this video that proves how much Microsoft sucks.

cobaltorange

Neo Member
Wtf are you talking about? The Uncharted series? Ratchet? Infamous?

In terms of it being an ugly console, there were multiple models. You thought they were all ugly?

David B

An Idiot
Modnation Racers, Tokyo Jungle, Uncharted series, Infamous series, The Last of Us, Killzone series, Motorstorm series, Little Big Planet series, Metal Gear Solid 4 exclusive, Demon's souls, Ratchet & Clank series, God of War series, Resistance series, Gran Turismo series, Warhawk. All PS3 exclusive games! Sony owns about 5 to 7X more exclusive games than Microsoft ever will. Which is why every gen I make sure to buy the Sony console.

Top Bottom