• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s Now Possible to Play Doom Within Doom

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

One recent example is by kgsws, a YouTube user who recently uploaded a video of them getting Doom to run within Doom itself. It sounds pretty bizarre, but the end result is something to behold. There's a fairly lengthy discussion on coding, and the modder can be seen tinkering with the game by changing states of enemies and items. It then moves to them building a one room map, on which is a screen showing a running demo of the game. Essentially, kgsws is watching a playthrough of Doom while also running around inside the classic FPS.

Things don't end there, either. They then take control of the second Doom game to show that it's possible to play either one, though the second version doesn't have sound. The video then shows a custom-built cinema, which shows the game as a kind of movie. There are so many wild things that Doom can be played on, and kgsws' own port is just one of many astonishing ways people can mod this beloved title. Examples by other fans include porting it to an iPod Mini, a vape pen, an old scanner, an ASCII text terminal, and someone has even got it to run inside Minecraft.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Impressive, but what's more impressive is the link in the OP showing Doom running on a vape pen and a pregnancy test! Pointless and unbelievable!
Omg i want that vape pen.

I don’t vape tho smoking is for losers

Last edited:
The last time I played through Doom was on GBA which was surprisingly better than I expected. The time before that I played through the entire game on the old PC in the Doom Slayer's workstation. I've come to the conclusion I'll enjoy it on anything at this point.

nkarafo

Impressive, but what's more impressive is the link in the OP showing Doom running on a vape pen and a pregnancy test! Pointless and unbelievable!
Not really though. Apparently the pregnancy test is just using it's display. The actual system is a different CPU connected to it.

Same with the NES classic. It's just using the NES video output but the system that runs the game is an FPGA (capable of running the game) inside the cart.

Not sure about the vape though.

Thing is, a lot of those "DOOM runs on everything" cases are not real. Some times it's not even DOOM at all and it's just a 1st person game with a very basic engine (like Wolf 3D or worse) that uses DOOM sprites.

Catphish

Go Season 9 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

MiguelItUp

I'll never stop loving seeing DOOM ported in different and ridiculous ways. I love it so much. I honestly don't know what to expect next, lmao. I mean, how can it top this?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's pretty damn cool. Too bad it's not really realistic for anyone to run this on a normal gaming PC, nobody has 16MB of RAM. Maybe sometime in the future.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The last time I played through Doom was on GBA which was surprisingly better than I expected. The time before that I played through the entire game on the old PC in the Doom Slayer's workstation. I've come to the conclusion I'll enjoy it on anything at this point.
I love the GBA port, and played through that (and Doom II with this mod for better graphics) on a real system with flash cart recently. Great fun, one of my favorite adaptations for some reason.

Top Bottom