• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It appears that Doug Lombardi, Valve's "Vice President of Marketing" has left Valve

Dream-Knife

Banned
It's nonexistent.
Does it really need to be? If you game on PC, you have Steam installed anyway. It's the biggest gaming platform outside of mobile.

I'm sure it has more to do with media inquiries, hardware, PR, etc. Valve is a small company.

Getting more people into PC gaming relies mostly on word of mouth and the rise of streamers. Traditional company wise that's Nvidia and AMD.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Does it really need to be? If you game on PC, you have Steam installed anyway. It's the biggest gaming platform outside of mobile.

I'm sure it has more to do with media inquiries, hardware, PR, etc. Valve is a small company.

Getting more people into PC gaming relies mostly on word of mouth and the rise of streamers. Traditional company wise that's Nvidia and AMD.

An iOS/Android app that isn't garbage would come a long way. That's marketing too.

Oh man. I get it, retirement is coming and all, or just wanting to move on, but the more old guard we lose, the closer to the bad times we get. I'm dreading the day when Valve is nothing but new blood. If you want some insight into what that will look like, look no further than Blizzard, Infinity Ward, Rockstar, DICE etc. Basically any team that's lasted long enough to keep the name but lose the soul.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
22 years at the same company. I wish I could do that.
22 years at Valve, after spending 6 years as a freelance tech journalist for cnet and others, and spending an undisclosed number of years as a freelance musician before that.

The guy's probably close to 60 now, so like others have said he might just be retiring and this doesn't mean anything for Valve.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I wonder if Doug is partial owner of the company? As far as I know Gabe owns 50% of the company and the rest is owned by the employees, but who owns what percentage is an unknown. Thank God Valve hasn't gone the way of other woke videogame companies which is surprising given it's location. Not knocking on Washington btw.

Nintendo is saved by the fact that the shots are being called by the Japanese parent company, but you see companies like MS embracing woke nonsense and it's disheartening to see.

I'm pleasantly surprised after visiting Kaci Aitchison twitter account, and seeing a normal twitter bio with no woke garbage cluttering up her information. I hope when Gabe retires, or God forbid passes on someday that Valve can hold it together as a company. I am sure Gabe has an exit plan that will hopefully save Valve from losing what makes the company great.

Now if Valve can get their act together and start creating/releasing games on a more regular basis that would be even better.

Last edited:

Hugare

Imagine not being able to leave your job without thousands of people expeculating why because you work with videogames lol

Dude probably retired. There's nothing more to it.

Sentenza

Fairly surprising news.

Wonder if it's just retirement or what.
Some people considered him basically Gabe Newell's right hand.

Top Bottom