• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It looks like Avowed is running on Unreal Engine 5

Mister Wolf

That June showcase is gonna be extra fire. Bring on all of the raytraced effects as options on PC, so we can futureproof these games.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
If I use Van Gogh’s paint brush, does that mean I too can create a masterpiece?

It helps if you've already made one.

2fOJ3f5.jpg

Robb

Gold Member
Expected, don’t most of MS games use UE? Would be strange if they kept using UE4.

Last edited:

Banned
I just hope that all the Xbox studios that use UE5 are as competent with UE as The Coalition... and if there are issues I hope The Coalition will come in and help.

Gears 5 is one of the only UE4 games in recent memory with no shader stutter issues.
even Fortnite, made by the creators of the damn engine, has MASSIVE stutter issues on PC.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So most likely 30fps on console? and possibly PC too
Using Niagra doesnt automatically mean they are using Lumens or Nanite, let alone hardware Lumens which is the most power hungry.

Dont think Hellblade 2 is using that either and it still looks stunning.

Everything is UE5 nowadays,
Thats incorrect...most third party games in development that are still using UE4, some projects switching to Niagara, a part the UE5 engine. Sony has developers that using theyr own engine like Naughty Dog and Guerrila. But the UE5 has a learning curve like every other new game engine, but that is logical.

Fredrik

Using Niagra doesnt automatically mean they are using Lumens or Nanite, let alone hardware Lumens which is the most power hungry.

Dont think Hellblade 2 is using that either and it still looks stunning.
True but I just expect 30fps with UE5 for now, same thing with Hellblade 2.

SlimySnake

True but I just expect 30fps with UE5 for now, same thing with Hellblade 2.
But why? We know the UE5 engine is CPU bound mainly due to hardware lumens. If you switch to software lumens in the Matrix City demo, it has no issues hitting 60 fps.

If this game and Hellblade are basically UE4 games migrated to the new UE5 sdk then they are essentially running in BC mode so to speak. They wont be bound by the same CPU limitations of nanite, lumens, A.I traffic and pedestrian logic if they are using traditional rasterization techniques.

Herr Edgy

Thats incorrect...most third party games in development that are still using UE4, some projects switching to Niagara, a part the UE5 engine. Sony has developers that using theyr own engine like Naughty Dog and Guerrila. But the UE5 has a learning curve like every other new game engine, but that is logical.
To clarify:
Niagara is a tool within UE4 and UE5. Projects don't "switch to Niagara", unless they were using Cascade before, the legacy particles tool of Unreal Engine 4. Active development on Niagara happens on the most recent version of Unreal, which currently is UE5.0 (or 5.1 but that's in development).

I just hope that all the Xbox studios that use UE5 are as competent with UE as The Coalition... and if there are issues I hope The Coalition will come in and help.

Gears 5 is one of the only UE4 games in recent memory with no shader stutter issues.
even Fortnite, made by the creators of the damn engine, has MASSIVE stutter issues on PC.
The Coalition are wizards on UE. They have a better grip of it than Epic themselves.

SlimySnake

Maybe not necessarily. Depends on how much of the UE5 stuff it's gonna use. STALKER 2 is also UE5 and has a 60 FPS mode on Xbox as per the developers.
Fortnite is UE5 and runs at 120 fps.

If Hellblade 2 runs at 30 fps at 1440p or widescreen 1620p on the xsx, it should easily run at 60 fps on a 6800xt or 6900xt at the same resolution.

The engine is only CPU bound when using all the fancy Lumens/nanite/traffic A.I simulations. It will not be an issue in every game.

Stuart360

Just because its UE5 it doesnt mean every game is going to be at the level of the Matrix demo. I mean Fortnite is UE5 now, FORTNITE.
Many studios will probably be converting their in development UE4 game to UE5.

Now i still expect Avowed to look great to be honest, i'm just saying being on UE5 doesnt mean every game is going to be at the level of the Matrix demo. And if some people are thinking that, maybe get your expectations in check.

Last edited:

Fredrik

But why? We know the UE5 engine is CPU bound mainly due to hardware lumens. If you switch to software lumens in the Matrix City demo, it has no issues hitting 60 fps.

If this game and Hellblade are basically UE4 games migrated to the new UE5 sdk then they are essentially running in BC mode so to speak. They wont be bound by the same CPU limitations of nanite, lumens, A.I traffic and pedestrian logic if they are using traditional rasterization techniques.

Maybe not necessarily. Depends on how much of the UE5 stuff it's gonna use. STALKER 2 is also UE5 and has a 60 FPS mode on Xbox as per the developers.
Fair enough I’m just basing it on the disappointing performance in the Matrix demo, haven’t been able to experiment with it myself on PC, on console it can’t hold 30fps with few game elements implemented and low resolution.

To clarify:
Niagara is a tool within UE4 and UE5. Projects don't "switch to Niagara", unless they were using Cascade before, the legacy particles tool of Unreal Engine 4. Active development on Niagara happens on the most recent version of Unreal, which currently is UE5.0 (or 5.1 but that's in development).
Thank you for clearing that up for me, thats usefull information.👍

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Fair enough I’m just basing it on the disappointing performance in the Matrix demo, haven’t been able to experiment with it myself on PC, on console it can’t hold 30fps with few game elements implemented and low resolution.
Alex covered this in his Matrix demo video. Basically, the game is CPU bound due to the way Hardware Lumens uses up the CPU as well as the A.I sub routines.

Hardware Lumens is 32% slower than Software Lumens. Then you have the A.I stuff like cars and pedestrians which are even more expensive. Turning them off takes us to 95 fps all the way from 38 fps when using hardware lumens with traffic.

And finally, the game is very poorly optimized. It's single threaded even though consoles finally have multiple threading support. They likely just made this demo in a rush to get it out the door by the VGAs and didnt bother improving the performance when releasing it on PC. Avowed, Hellblade 2 and other UE5 games that dont use hardware lumens or dont feature a massive open world city with A.I simulations shouldnt have this issue.

And agian, even if an urban open world game comes out and uses every single one of these features, they can probably get it optimized by utilizing CPU threads more effectively so it isnt bottlenecked by the CPU. The console GPUs are being held back by the CPU threading, they should be able to easily run the game at 45 fps like I was on my rtx 2080 which is supposed to be on par with the xsx. As for any 60 fps performance modes, they can always switch to Software Lumens to gain more performance as well as reducing the traffic density by half which completely removes framedrops on consoles. The traffic density is still very impressive at 50% and software lumens looks almost identical to hardware lumens though you do lose out on more accurate reflections and shadows.

TLDR; 60 fps on UE5 should be fine even on consoles. ;p

3wCLEKd.jpg

YuwAHCO.jpg

Neilg

The matrix demo was made pretty quickly by a small team. If that was a real open world, the assets & other bits would have been much more carefully optimized - i dont believe it's a fair impression of performance, more a fair impression of scale, lighting & density etc..
It was a free demo so the budget and time allowable to do things would have been as close to 'bare minimum' as you can get away with.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Alex covered this in his Matrix demo video. Basically, the game is CPU bound due to the way Hardware Lumens uses up the CPU as well as the A.I sub routines.

Hardware Lumens is 32% slower than Software Lumens. Then you have the A.I stuff like cars and pedestrians which are even more expensive. Turning them off takes us to 95 fps all the way from 38 fps when using hardware lumens with traffic.

And finally, the game is very poorly optimized. It's single threaded even though consoles finally have multiple threading support. They likely just made this demo in a rush to get it out the door by the VGAs and didnt bother improving the performance when releasing it on PC. Avowed, Hellblade 2 and other UE5 games that dont use hardware lumens or dont feature a massive open world city with A.I simulations shouldnt have this issue.

And agian, even if an urban open world game comes out and uses every single one of these features, they can probably get it optimized by utilizing CPU threads more effectively so it isnt bottlenecked by the CPU. The console GPUs are being held back by the CPU threading, they should be able to easily run the game at 45 fps like I was on my rtx 2080 which is supposed to be on par with the xsx. As for any 60 fps performance modes, they can always switch to Software Lumens to gain more performance as well as reducing the traffic density by half which completely removes framedrops on consoles. The traffic density is still very impressive at 50% and software lumens looks almost identical to hardware lumens though you do lose out on more accurate reflections and shadows.

TLDR; 60 fps on UE5 should be fine even on consoles. ;p

3wCLEKd.jpg

YuwAHCO.jpg

Wow, 720p with and RTX 3090! How low. Seems like UE5 is just an overhyped bubble.

ANIMAL1975

Fortunately almost every game this generation has had performance and resolution modes. I'm sure the same can be done by the devs in Avowed if they want to _ just lower what you have to low and get it to 60 _ again, if they want/choose to.

SlimySnake

Wow, 720p with and RTX 3090! How low. Seems like UE5 is just an overhyped bubble.
lol hes doing a cpu bound test. my 3080 runs the game at native 4k 45 fps. 3090 should be in the 50s.

if anything console GPUs are underperforming here because they are paired up with much worse CPUs than what we have available on PC. The 3080 is only 65% faster than the 2080 and hence the ps5/xsx and yet it is outputting 4x or 300% more pixels at almost 2x the framerate thanks to better cpus.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fortnite is UE5 and runs at 120 fps.

If Hellblade 2 runs at 30 fps at 1440p or widescreen 1620p on the xsx, it should easily run at 60 fps on a 6800xt or 6900xt at the same resolution.

The engine is only CPU bound when using all the fancy Lumens/nanite/traffic A.I simulations. It will not be an issue in every game.

Exactly, not every game will need to use that. We know already that Nanite doesn't work with foliage and STALKER 2 was basically a lot of foliage and ruins, and also promises 60 FPS.

Avowed also looks like it'll be a Skyrim style RPG, so no Nanite really necessary there.

Last edited:

Zug

Even with UE5, Avowed probably won't be a technical marvel, it has never been an Obsidian's strong point.
I really do like the Pillars settings though, classic fantasy, but wierd enough to be interesting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Even with UE5, Avowed probably won't be a technical marvel, it has never been an Obsidian's strong point.
I really do like the Pillars settings though, classic fantasy, but wierd enough to be interesting.

Good point, their strength is in good writing and characters.

Let's see how much of that translates to Avowed. If it's like Skyrim's take on Fallout New Vegas, that'll be fucking awesome.

Top Bottom