• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It looks like Xbox Series X console shortage are finally coming to an end

kingfey

Banned
Now I can trade in my ps4 and xbox one s, for xsx.
Been this for a long time.

edit: Its still out of stock for me, here at gamestop.

wvrW7P2.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Xbox Series X on Amazon had a MASSIVE drop today and it is still in stock. In half a day it sold almost equal to what the Switch OLED sold all month.

Damn. The thirst is real.

So is MS's production ramp up it seems.

Good shit all around and hopefully more people get a chance to buy one at retail and not pay scalpers anything.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
hopefully this happens to PS5 as well.

People are still queuing up for PS5 preorder in my country facepalm.
Won’t happen until Sony starts producing the consoles outside of China/Foxconn. The reason you’re seeing Xboxes available is because MS has a plant in Mexico (and has had it since the OG Xbox), so they can build them here and bypass the supply chain congestion on China.

Nice, I'd like to see how far Xbox can go without constraints. They've really worked on all fronts from hardware to games to relationships to gamepass to ID@ programs. Honestly the software updates and general quality combined with value for money has me loving Xbox. Apart from Halo 2/3 online this is the best Xbox has ever been and I'm looking forward to what is coming over the next 1-3 years.

Won’t happen until Sony starts producing the consoles outside of China/Foxconn. The reason you’re seeing Xboxes available is because MS has a plant in Mexico (and has had it since the OG Xbox), so they can build them here and bypass the supply chain congestion on China.
You realize PS5 has sold a lot more consoles than Series S|X, right? Which means they've produced more.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Good to hear. Hopefully PS5 stock will increase soon as well.

Supposedly tomorrow best buy and gamestops are getting in store stock via Wario (tweet was made way before midnight so probably not an Aprils Fools thing).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yeah i had one almost ordered the other week. it was available for a good 5 hours on walmart.com.

Rykan

I wonder if the shortage is actually coming to an end or if MS is just allocating a larger amount of their stock to North America. It appears to be as sold out as usual in other places I look.

As long as these are new units and not refurbished ones, we're good 👍.

I'm actually pretty interested how they've managed to increase production this soon, did they just put in a shit ton of wafer orders? Did the pay more than usual for them?

Anyway I hope the supply for it is finally stabilizing and will be regularly available, hoping PS5's supply also starts to stabilize and be regularly available at least by the start of Summer.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think it helps that pc gpu's are freeing up, some of those buyers were purchasing consoles as they had no other viable option.
Should help ps5 stock too.

reksveks

Amazon 2022
#10 NSW OLED White
#18 Series S
#21 NSW Neon
#63 Series X
#71 NSW Animal Crossing
#90 PS5

Amazon March 2022
#11 NSW OLED White
#13 Series X
#15 NSW Neon
#24 Series S
#56 PS5 DE
#82 Series S Fortnite Bundle

Amazon March 2022 - Week Starting March 28
#2 Series X
#4 PS5 DE
#9 NSW OLED White
#19 NSW Neon
#27 Series S
#94 NSW Animal Crossing

Before yesterdays update, no Series X at all in the any of the charts (credit to welfare at IBF)

adamsapple

Amazon 2022
#10 NSW OLED White
#18 Series S
#21 NSW Neon
#63 Series X
#71 NSW Animal Crossing
#90 PS5

Amazon March 2022
#11 NSW OLED White
#13 Series X
#15 NSW Neon
#24 Series S
#56 PS5 DE
#82 Series S Fortnite Bundle

Amazon March 2022 - Week Starting March 28
#2 Series X
#4 PS5 DE
#9 NSW OLED White
#19 NSW Neon
#27 Series S
#94 NSW Animal Crossing

Before yesterdays update, no Series X at all in the any of the charts (credit to welfare at IBF)

Showing as #1 seller in video games on Amazon.com right now.

1vqk8m.png

March/April NPD gonna be interesting. Maybe its too late to factor fully into March now.

guess I'm too late. Can't buy it on Amazon

I just refreshed the page, it was showing available to all a few minutes ago, now it shows only for Prime members.

Looks like they're running out and saving some stock for Prime subscribers now.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Showing as #1 seller in video games on Amazon.com right now.

1vqk8m.png

March/April NPD gonna be interesting. Maybe its too late to factor fully into March now.

I just refreshed the page, it was showing available to all a few minutes ago, now it shows only for Prime members.

Looks like they're running out and saving some stock for Prime subscribers now.

I am a prime member but I see no buy button right now. Will check in few hours time

WYgfp7s.png

u0sPfAF.png

I wonder how much of this is more localised supply/manufacturing chain vs xCloud doesn't need Series X blades being pumped into it anymore. I'd hazard a guess Xbox Series X consoles could have sold 10-25% more since launch without hardware going to server blades instead. It's just a wild guess but I recall reading that for over a year they were basically pushing the high end chips into server blades instead of retail console stock.

Last edited:

reksveks

Dunno why Sony are so bad with stock still.... they should be capitalizing on this already.

Liu also warned that the cost of components and materials are rising sharply, pushing up production costs for tech and chip companies.

"Such pressure could eventually be passed on to consumers," Liu said on the sidelines of an industry event where he was speaking in his capacity as chair of the Taiwan Semiconductor Industry Association.

Conspiracy theorist here (talking about me)

adamsapple

I am a prime member but I see no buy button right now. Will check in few hours time

WYgfp7s.png

u0sPfAF.png

Just asked a relative with prime to login and check, they're saying they see the option to buy it (in the US).

I wonder how much of this is more localised supply/manufacturing chain vs xCloud doesn't need Series X blades being pumped into it anymore. I'd hazard a guess Xbox Series X consoles could have sold 10-25% more since launch without hardware going to server blades instead. It's just a wild guess but I recall reading that for over a year they were basically pushing the high end chips into server blades instead of retail console stock.

Good point, last year was probably the height of scarcity anyway and MS was also updating Xcloud with SXs, hopefully now that is done, it means all console production is focused on retail and improves more with time.

Dunno why Sony are so bad with stock still.... they should be capitalizing on this already.

Maybe they're holding back stock to have a big mid-year blow out to coincide with Spartacus ?

Bryank75

Banned
Just asked a relative with prime to login and check, they're saying they see the option to buy it (in the US).

Good point, last year was probably the height of scarcity anyway and MS was also updating Xcloud with SXs, hopefully now that is done, it means all console production is focused on retail and improves more with time.

Maybe they're holding back stock to have a big mid-year blow out to coincide with Spartacus ?

Sounds like Jim Ryan.... hold on to growth for the next fiscal year.... yeah, I think that is a good theory!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I don't live in the US but I usually buy from Amazon US to ship to my country. I guess it doesn't ship outside of US then.

kevm3

I can see Microsoft having ramped up production to get more of these Series X in the hands of gamers and take advantage of the PS5 being sold out everywhere. I see a series x in stock right now and am tempted to get it lol but 'next gen' kind of sucks with all this cross gen stuff

I can see Microsoft having ramped up production to get more of these Series X in the hands of gamers and take advantage of the PS5 being sold out everywhere. I see a series x in stock right now and am tempted to get it lol but 'next gen' kind of sucks with all this cross gen stuff
If you're stuck on last gen, do yourself a favor and get one. The one minute loading time torment and the stuttery 30 fps mess must end.

Top Bottom