• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It looks like Xbox Series X console shortage are finally coming to an end

Topher

Gold Member
Another explanation could simply be that no one wants one.

Tonight Show Rip GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

PhaseJump

Banned
People want ps5. It's just more popular.
Series S is just on shelves here since release. X is usually in stock when I check but not always. Ps5 is never in stock

On behalf of efficiency oriented shit posters everywhere, I ask how did you find the time to make this keen observation in between your constant cheerleading about the superiority of Playstation consoles in PC gaming threads? :pie_thinking:

Patrick S.

Banned
I have an Alder Lake PC with an RTX 3080 and two PS5s, but seeing the Xbox Series X available on German All Access is really tempting... I know I don't *need* one, I'm mostly fine with my One X for my back compat needs.... and it would see less use than my PC, but, man.... I really do want one. I need to sleep on this before I do something that will give me a bad case of buyer's remorse... also, my wife would probably kill me after seeing a sixth console in the house lol (2x One X, 2x PS5, Switch)

twilo99

I have an Alder Lake PC with an RTX 3080 and two PS5s, but seeing the Xbox Series X available on German All Access is really tempting... I know I don't *need* one, I'm mostly fine with my One X for my back compat needs.... and it would see less use than my PC, but, man.... I really do want one. I need to sleep on this before I do something that will give me a bad case of buyer's remorse... also, my wife would probably kill me after seeing a sixth console in the house lol (2x One X, 2x PS5, Switch)

You absolutely need a series x

Patrick S.

Banned
hah yeah I would even go for a cheap series s instead if you see one
I was going to get a Series S to replace my One S, but since I have a few dozen physical Xbox 360 and Xbox One games I care about but don't really want to rebuy, the Series S wasn't really an option.

In the end, I sold my One S for €125 and bought a used One X for €130 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
When there is XSX stock around here online. You can easily get one and sometimes they are even on the "virtual" shelfs for some days.

You never see this when PS5s are in stock.

Sony should build more. They don't have infinite demand....just build em Sony lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
On behalf of efficiency oriented shit posters everywhere, I ask how did you find the time to make this keen observation in between your constant cheerleading about the superiority of Playstation consoles in PC gaming threads? :pie_thinking:
Excuse me ?! I am not cheerleading anything. Why are there always some butthurts about this.
Have you at least been to media markt? Or checked some websites?
I do and this is my observation. Both in physical store near me and on few online retailer websites. Ps5 just does not exist in retail. Can only be hunted down few times a month with HUGE availability back in january.
Xbox one X is usually casually just sitting there every 2 or 3 days.
My friends who wanted an xbox, got one when they wanted. Some ps5 coworkers just got one last week or so.
Sure, Microsoft could be manufacturing way more but we don't know.

And cmon. Why do we need to pretend like ps5 is not selling almost twice the numbers ?
The gap is only starting to lower recently but generally ps5 is more popular.
I am not saying it's better. I am just stating a fact that ps5 is harder to get and sold more consoles...
edit: And I do not consider myself a sony fanboy. I just owned ps4 and now ps5. I was xbox guy before that but they just don't have games that interest me anymore

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Excuse me ?! I am not cheerleading anything. Why are there always some butthurts about this.
Have you at least been to media markt? Or checked some websites?
I do and this is my observation. Both in physical store near me and on few online retailer websites. Ps5 just does not exist in retail. Can only be hunted down few times a month with HUGE availability back in january.
Xbox one X is usually casually just sitting there every 2 or 3 days.
My friends who wanted an xbox, got one when they wanted. Some ps5 coworkers just got one last week or so.
Sure, Microsoft could be manufacturing way more but we don't know.

And cmon. Why do we need to pretend like ps5 is not selling almost twice the numbers ?
The gap is only starting to lower recently but generally ps5 is more popular.
I am not saying it's better. I am just stating a fact that ps5 is harder to get and sold more consoles...
edit: And I do not consider myself a sony fanboy. I just owned ps4 and now ps5. I was xbox guy before that but they just don't have games that interest me anymore

The demand for ps5 is higher but there is also this crazy unicorn mentality going on with it. The series X and series s do not drive as a high price with scalpers due to the demand being lower and Microsoft doing a much better job In getting stock into retailers this year.

Scalpers and bots eat up PlayStation stock the second it lands and sit on the stock until it sells at a higher price. This is totally skewing numbers and SCREWING honest customers who deserve the box at retail price. Hopefully with gpu stock freeing up and Xbox stock becoming more available Sony can produce enough units that it doesn't make sense for scalpers and we should then see a lot of the issues be resolved. Who the fuck knows though.

Completely tales from my ass but I think there's some other issue with ps5, like the bom has increased to manufacture or they are having issues with the high frequency clock on the gpu, something is impeding production....costs....booking slots....components...WiFi chips etc....there's always something in constraint. Maybe the ssd chips....something is shit. Lol

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The demand for ps5 is higher but there is also this crazy unicorn mentality going on with it. The series X and series s do not drive as a high price with scalpers due to the demand being lower and Microsoft doing a much better job In getting stock into retailers this year.

Scalpers and bots eat up PlayStation stock the second it lands and sit on the stock until it sells at a higher price. This is totally skewing numbers and SCREWING honest customers who deserve the box at retail price. Hopefully with gpu stock freeing up and Xbox stock becoming more available Sony can produce enough units that it doesn't make sense for scalpers and we should then see a lot of the issues be resolved. Who the fuck knows though.

Completely tales from my ass but I think there's some other issue with ps5, like the bom has increased to manufacture or they are having issues with the high frequency clock on the gpu, something is impeding production....costs....booking slots....components...WiFi chips etc....there's always something in constraint. Maybe the ssd chips....something is shit. Lol
MS is having the same issues with the xsx. The XSS is the one that was widely available last holiday and I remember reading about how the sales were 50:50 before going into the holiday season. The sales are probably 3:1 now in favor of the XSS.

The bigger chips are simply harder to produce due to the chip shortage. If MS ever shared their XSX numbers, I wouldnt be surprised if they are still around 5-6 million while the XSS is double that at 10 million. The PS5 had sold 20 million last i heard and has limped on since but when compared to the XSX it is still selling way more.

twilo99

I was going to get a Series S to replace my One S, but since I have a few dozen physical Xbox 360 and Xbox One games I care about but don't really want to rebuy, the Series S wasn't really an option.

In the end, I sold my One S for €125 and bought a used One X for €130 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Good deal. now sell the one x and get sx

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
MS is having the same issues with the xsx. The XSS is the one that was widely available last holiday and I remember reading about how the sales were 50:50 before going into the holiday season. The sales are probably 3:1 now in favor of the XSS.

The bigger chips are simply harder to produce due to the chip shortage. If MS ever shared their XSX numbers, I wouldnt be surprised if they are still around 5-6 million while the XSS is double that at 10 million. The PS5 had sold 20 million last i heard and has limped on since but when compared to the XSX it is still selling way more.

great points, MS were so lucky with the Series S. I am sure there is some foresight and praise deserved for designing that box, but there's no way they could have also seen the chip shortage ahead of time but they have been dealt one hell of a lucky hand this gen and it will ultimately swing a lot in their favour. The series S will do so much for them. I don't think they will ever overtake Sony worldwide in sales but in key markets I think they will be more or less neck and neck, maybe a few million behind. Which will be huge in the grand scheme of things.

Shmunter

great points, MS were so lucky with the Series S. I am sure there is some foresight and praise deserved for designing that box, but there's no way they could have also seen the chip shortage ahead of time but they have been dealt one hell of a lucky hand this gen and it will ultimately swing a lot in their favour. The series S will do so much for them. I don't think they will ever overtake Sony worldwide in sales but in key markets I think they will be more or less neck and neck, maybe a few million behind. Which will be huge in the grand scheme of things.
Yes, sadly it's the default next gen xbox, with the xsx an early pro model.

MrA

Banned

ps5 is big and complex (both moreso than xsx), shipping it must suck right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if sony isn't paying for the fastest, plus the big size and complexity eats up manufacturing space and time
Also worth noting ps5 will like be at 11.5 million for this fiscal year , xbox rumblings about better than the xbones best year puts xs at over 10 million

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes, sadly it's the default next gen xbox, with the xsx an early pro model.

Yeah, the good news is though that every single game that has released has shown an increased favour for the series X version and it's actually the series S version that is having small cut backs as expected to hit its target. Sometimes losing 60 FPS modes all together so MS and devs are ensuring that the series X is getting the best version possible. It's a win win for MS. Once they get that series S to sub 200 dollars. Holy shit its gonna fly in holiday periods!

Shmunter

Yeah, the good news is though that every single game that has released has shown an increased favour for the series X version and it's actually the series S version that is having small cut backs as expected to hit its target. Sometimes losing 60 FPS modes all together so MS and devs are ensuring that the series X is getting the best version possible. It's a win win for MS. Once they get that series S to sub 200 dollars. Holy shit its gonna fly in holiday periods!
I do suppose the ps5 in addition to XsX gives devs a higher baseline to aim for luckily. Let’s hope the tides don’t change in the other direction.

Mister Wolf

You already have an elite level PC. Im in the same boat. No need for a Series X. Microsoft affords us all the same benefits on PC.

twilo99

Do we know how much of the APU allocation for Microsoft went to building the cloud gaming platform? Must be a substantial number that could've helped the supply quite a bit in the past two years.

Makes you wonder how many did they actually order from TSMC because just looking at how many boxes they shipped doesn't give the full picture.

Last edited:
It also continues to be ignored that many gaming PCs out there don't even beat the XSS in terms of stats and all Xbox games hit the PC. The idea of the XSS holding back game development was always nonsense. No one says the RTX 3060 held back the RTX 3090. Modern games are incredibly scalable and we can see that in the different versions of games that hit the XSS vs. XSX.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Supposedly tomorrow best buy and gamestops are getting in store stock via Wario (tweet was made way before midnight so probably not an Aprils Fools thing).
This was legit, I actually went to GameStop and bought a PS5 in person. Could hardly believe it.

I mean I had to show up and line up a half hour before open (and I happened to be in a rural area that day instead of the city, so I could go to a less crowded location), but still, easier than all the times I have tried and failed to snipe one online.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This was legit, I actually went to GameStop and bought a PS5 in person. Could hardly believe it.

I mean I had to show up and line up half hour before open (and I happened to in a rural area that day instead of the city), but still, easier than all the times I have tried and failed to snipe one online.

That's fucking amazing !

Glad that tip panned out for you !

clarky

Gold Member
Don't do it man, im in a similar spot to you and ive litteraly turned it on twice. I have a 3080 hooked up to a TV and theres simply no use for it in my house. Nice bit of kit like but my pc does everything better.

Topher

Gold Member
Still in stock at Walmart....

edit: for fuck's sake, Walmart. Can't link to your page?

sigh....just have to search for it on the site it seems. walmart.com

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Still in stock at Walmart....

edit: for fuck's sake, Walmart. Can't link to your page?

sigh....just have to search for it on the site it seems. walmart.com

Either walmart got an infinite drop or something is up, I can't imagine stocks came to Amazon.com and dried up in 1 day but still left on Walmart ?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Either walmart got an infinite drop or something is up, I can't imagine stocks came to Amazon.com and dried up in 1 day but still left on Walmart ?

Walmart must have made a deal with Microsoft. Sams Club (owned by Walmart) also has them in stock. Weird thing is Sams Club is only selling them as a bundle. Sam's Club customers pay a fee to shop there and they are forced to buy a bundle? Just weird.

Top Bottom