• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It only took nearly 6 years for Final Fantasy XV to pass 10m sold

From the world of Square Enix, the publisher synonymous with the term "failed to meet expectations" and just sold off their Western arm and some major IP, we find that the flagship title Final Fantasy XV has finally surpassed 10 million copies sold. Quite an achievement, if it hasn't taken nearly six years.

You look at the sales figures for the sold IP and I have to wonder, did they really underperform? Or did SE just have crazy unrealistic expectations and massively mismanaged their studios? Personally, im going the latter.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

the publisher synonymous with the term "failed to meet expectations"
Happy Tom Hanks GIF by Laff

so true

Rykan

Fuck me. FF XVI gonna bring it back?
Probably has more to do when it comes out and if its a PS5 exclusve/No cross gen game.

If it does come out this year or next year on only one platform, I don't think it will reach those numbers anytime soon.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
That title reads like sarcasm but 10M for a Final Fantasy game is more than every single game in the series has sold except FFVII and FFX.

For a game that had all those issues in development it's an amazing number tbh.

Final Fantasy seems to be slowly declining in terms of general consumers and sales numbers.
Which of you is right?

Shubh_C63

Never played an FF in my life and I am actually excited for FF16.
Of some videos gameplays I have seen FF15 looked and felt right. Just don't be too anime.

It's not bad for a JRPG. The best entries in the series barely sold over 10 million. The AAA JRPG audience is about 13 million large at the most.

Elden Ring is definitely rewriting expectations a bit though.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
any person that bought this should feel ashamed as a human being.

Naaaa I thought it was worth the steam sale price I paid as one of the titles I user to test out my RTX 3080 when I first got it.

For all its failings (and there are many) it's a good looking game at times. However splitting the story across multiple media threads rather than just making a good game with a coherent one was certainly a huge detriment.

It also lost me in terms of intrest during the end. Well here's too FF XVI, may you be a better game.

reksveks

Which of you is right?
Who knows?

I suspect FF XVI is going to have some issues if it is PS5 exclusive. FF XV was released on just about everything (need confirmation if these numbers include FFXV pocket edition or whatever its called)

Which of you is right?
The other user didn't check any numbers before posting.

These were sales from the series 9 months ago:

90egvV4.jpeg

With the news that FFXV has surpassed 10M, it puts it below FFVII and around FFX and FFVIII...so i don't know the shock and surprise with this one taking 6 years to sell 10 million when the previous ones couldn't do that with multiple generations, re-releases, etc...

Last edited:
Who knows?

I suspect FF XVI is going to have some issues if it is PS5 exclusive. FF XV was released on just about everything (need confirmation if these numbers include FFXV pocket edition or whatever its called)
Final Fantasy VII Remake sold 3.5M during its initial weekend and over 5M during its first quarter i think...and only on PS4. Square-Enix is clearly okay with those numbers if they did another one of these deals for FFXVI.

reksveks

Final Fantasy VII Remake sold 3.5M during its initial weekend and over 5M during its first quarter i think...and only on PS4. Square-Enix is clearly okay with those numbers if they did another one of these deals for FFXVI.
I didn't argue that they weren't okay with those numbers btw, I said that general consumers sales numbers are slowly declining. Re: FF XVI I am just saying the attach rates will have to be stupid at launch if SE wants similar initial sales numbers which again they might not care about cause the Sony deal might pay them enough to cover the potentially lost revenue (the whole thing about the tail of a game gets a bit weird cause we don't know what the ARPU is).

The other user didn't check any numbers before posting.

These were sales from the series 9 months ago:

90egvV4.jpeg

With the news that FFXV has surpassed 10M, it puts it below FFVII and around FFX and FFVIII...so i don't know the shock and surprise with this one taking 6 years to sell 10 million when the previous ones couldn't do that with multiple generations, re-releases, etc...

FFXV was released on how many consoles and platforms? Source also for that data if you have it (trying to see the dates against those numbers)? I don't think the decline is a recent one btw I would peg it at FF8 and would say its extremely slow. I think its okay, FF has found its core audience who will spend more money than before on it.

I didn't argue that they weren't okay with those numbers btw, I said that general consumers sales numbers are slowly declining. Re: FF XVI I am just saying the attach rates will have to be stupid at launch if SE wants similar initial sales numbers which again they might not care about cause the Sony deal might pay them enough to cover the potentially lost revenue (the whole thing about the tail of a game gets a bit weird cause we don't know what the ARPU is).

FFXV was released on how many consoles and platforms? Source also for that data if you have it (trying to see the dates against those numbers)? I don't think the decline is a recent one btw I would peg it at FF8 and would say its extremely slow. I think its okay, FF has found its core audience who will spend more money than before on it.
We don't have a number from Square-Enix, but this reddit post compiled the last official numbers for all the series.

This article from 2020 has the best sellers of the series like this:

Final Fantasy VII (16.75M)
Final Fantasy XIV (10.9M)
Final Fantasy VI (10.17M)
Final Fantasy X (9.75M)
Final Fantasy VIII (9.65M)

With the news that FFXV sold 10M, it puts it above VIII and X, around the same as VI and below FVII and FFXIV.
I realize the reddit numbers don't mention FFXIV which i totally forgot...but it makes sense.

Even if sales aren't the same in both, the order is basically the same.

That means inside the top 3 of the best sellers of the series are the latest 2 games released: FFXIV (biggest MMO right now) and XV, only surpassed by FFVII

Papacheeks

Banned

But in the same light, FF7R had sold 5 Million as of 2020. And that was on literally One platform pre-PC release, and PS5 Integrade in 2021.

It took them like 6 years on 3 platforms to get 10 million.

Shows you popularity of specific Final Fantasy, and how they dont need othe platforms for those titles outside Playstation/PC. I would like to know the break down of FF 15 sales wise is that in the article?

Chukhopops

Probably the title that made me leave the franchise along with FF7 Remake
I remember the hype watching the tie-in movie just before playing the game, then the slow realization that there was nothing good about it. How unbelievably broken it was at launch, waiting 20 minutes for a car ride to end, how it was supposed to get better after Chapter 9 and how it became even worse.

I thought no game would ever reach that level of hype cratering into despair… and then I saw the time ghosts of FF7R.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
That title reads like sarcasm but 10M for a Final Fantasy game is more than every single game in the series has sold except FFVII and FFX.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers. Final Fantasy IV, VI, VII, X, XIII, and XIV all sold more than 10 million copies. Other Final Fantasy games (like VIII) have sold just under 10 million copies which is more impressive as older games didn't have a video game user base that we have now.

Absolutely not. Especially when the protagonist is called ... Clive. This new art style and general lack of wow factor that the series really seemed to have during the early days and 32 bit era.

I don’t know why the OP is hating on the game, it was awesome. I’m still salty that all the additions dlc was cancelled.

I'm hating on the company in general. Haven't enjoyed a final fantasy since X with the only exception since that date being WOFF. Which went very Kingdom Hearts towards the end. But they don't really make the most of their franchises and honestly their decisions in gaming are just highly questionable. I remember when Eidos was sold immediately I thought terrible idea. When they became the publisher for Sleeping Dogs, completely wrong choice of publisher.

Mmm I'm not sure if that's true. The development process was just the circumstances of SE mismanagement as a whole. Plus my whole point is that it's taken close to six years and for three of those it's been dirt cheap so it's not really that impressive.

This is supposed to be a hugely anticipated title that's taken years to develop across multiple platforms, a flagship title from a historically major franchise and it's sold less than some titles stuck on a single platform in three times the length of time some titles have been on the market.

Rykan

We don't have a number from Square-Enix, but this reddit post compiled the last official numbers for all the series.

This article from 2020 has the best sellers of the series like this:

Final Fantasy VII (16.75M)
Final Fantasy XIV (10.9M)
Final Fantasy VI (10.17M)
Final Fantasy X (9.75M)
Final Fantasy VIII (9.65M)

With the news that FFXV sold 10M, it puts it above VIII and X, around the same as VI and below FVII and FFXIV.
I realize the reddit numbers don't mention FFXIV which i totally forgot...but it makes sense.

Even if sales aren't the same in both, the order is basically the same.

That means inside the top 3 of the best sellers of the series are the latest 2 games released: FFXIV (biggest MMO right now) and XV, only surpassed by FFVII
Those numbers seem to be wild guesses though.

It put Final Fantasy VI at 10 million, but that game had "only" sold 3.5 million by 2003 which includes the SNES game and the PS1 rereleases. I really don't think it sold an additional 7 million copies since then, especially considering how hated the rereleases have been after VI advance.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I doubt FF games cost as much as western games for 2 factors: Japanese devs don't get paid as much, and most conversations have no mocap/vocal acting. Most Japanese games have their notorious text convos that you need to spend reading instead of enjoying the fucking game/story.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In honor of everyone's favorite fallen FF15 hype man

hype train GIF

BlackandwhiteHilariousElephantbeetle-max-1mb.gif

x100000 overlimit

Mmm I'm not sure if that's true. The development process was just the circumstances of SE mismanagement as a whole. Plus my whole point is that it's taken close to six years and for three of those it's been dirt cheap so it's not really that impressive.

This is supposed to be a hugely anticipated title that's taken years to develop across multiple platforms, a flagship title from a historically major franchise and it's sold less than some titles stuck on a single platform in three times the length of time some titles have been on the market.
Good thing Final Fantasy XV broke even on day one.

According to Dualshockers, who spoke with director Hajima Tabata, they noted that on the first day of launch, November 29, 2016, they broke even. Now we’re basically realizing that the five million shipped number they initially gave is how much they needed. Since then Square Enix has announced that it’s sold an additional million, and likely will see a long tail with DLC, and a possible PC port down the line.
Following the game release Square-Enix posted "record-high" profits and revenue numbers as well. It was a "hugely anticipated title that's taken years to develop across multiple platforms, a flagship title from a historically major franchise" like you said...and it became one of the biggest ones of said franchise. It did what it set out to do.

In fact, the game was the fastest selling game for the franchise back then.

About your post, where you say that "it's sold less than some titles stuck on a single platform in three times the length of time some titles have been on the market." It's a JRPG...please tell me a JRPG that sold more in the past 20 years. It's one of the biggest Final Fantasy games ever, one of the best sellers on the franchise and it broke-even on day one.

Every single Final Fantasy game sold less than 10 million except one that came out 25 years ago...why would this one suddently multiply its sales? For the franchise it was an amazing hit.
Games don't need to sell 30 million to be hits nowadays.

If Square-Enix wasn't happy with this franchise they wouldn't have another single player campaign game on the way.

Fbh

More than this crap deserves. But then again the Final Fantasy name still carries some weight and this thing has been in the bargain bin for several years now.
Though admittedly the royal edition, a.k.a what the 1.0 version should have been at launch, is a bit better than the shit show they originally launched

I expect people will whine about the visuals not being that great and purists will whine about it being action focused.
But I actually think it will be a great game that will trade amazing next gen visuals for an actual complete, well put together package with an enjoyable and well told story.

The fact it's helmed by Yoshi P and Hiroshi Takai and that Nomura and Toriyama seem to be staying the hell away from it (at least the design aspects) gives me a LOT of hope.

any person that bought this should feel ashamed as a human being.

I'll only accept half of the blame because Square failed to tell me I was buying a $60 early access.

Clover904

It’s not all about the number of sales a game gets. You also have to consider at what price did the game make a sale.

Did people wait for a discount to make the purchase? We’ll then Squareenix is going to have to sell a lot more copies in order to see the same return.

Last edited:

iHaunter

More than this crap deserves. But then again the Final Fantasy name still carries some weight and this thing has been in the bargain bin for several years now.
Though admittedly the royal edition, a.k.a what the 1.0 version should have been at launch, is a bit better than the shit show they originally launched

I expect people will whine about the visuals not being that great and purists will whine about it being action focused.
But I actually think it will be a great game that will trade amazing next gen visuals for an actual complete, well put together package with an enjoyable and well told story.

The fact it's helmed by Yoshi P and Hiroshi Takai and that Nomura and Toriyama seem to be staying the hell away from it (at least the design aspects) gives me a LOT of hope.

I'll only accept half of the blame because Square failed to tell me I was buying a $60 early access.
Game was not AMAZING. But I still enjoyed playing it. The bones were fine.

Top Bottom