• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Takes Almost 300 Days for Gran Turismo 7 Developers to Make One of the Game's Cars

Tommi84

I hope they find a way to upgrade these car models for future generations of this IP without having to start from scratch tbh.
They said the same shit with GT6 or GT5 or GT:Sports - I wouldn't hold my breath that they will reuse the models for future games and not start from scratch :D

Last edited:

TheMan

and for those wondering why, here

polyphony's car models are best in the biz for a reason

JEmepca.jpg
Honestly, to me the models themselves look pretty similar. Main difference being that the lighting looks much better in GT7 and lets the small details pop in a more obvious way, but all those details are present in the Forza model. Forza is also very washed out.

Hudo

How long does it take for a motorcycle? I.e. why no Tourist Trophy 2?

Last edited:
I hope they find a way to upgrade these car models for future generations of this IP without having to start from scratch tbh.

I've heard that these are 8K models that they've downscaled to 4K. Even if that isn't true, they'll never need to use higher-resolution models in the future.

The car totals will only increase from here on out. GT7 has the highest number of "premium" cars since GT2 and my guess is that GT8 will double the car total.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You see, so it doesn't take 300 days to make a car 😂
Oh it does, they just have many working on them. The 300 days also includes petitioning the manufacturers and waiting on the the red tape, legalese, etc..

It’s not just the models and sound, the way each car behaves also needs to be programmed.
Most likely it will be 300 days in man hours.
Yep.

I remember a lot of the time sink in making the uniforms and stadium updates in MLB The Show, was the back and forth with MLB licensing and the legal teams approval process.

Last edited:
I've heard that these are 8K models that they've downscaled to 4K. Even if that isn't true, they'll never need to use higher-resolution models in the future.

The car totals will only increase from here on out. GT7 has the highest number of "premium" cars since GT2 and my guess is that GT8 will double the car total.
Gt4 had like 730 cars

xrnzaaas

Huh. Never really heard of them before. Interesting! But I guess that also answers why Polyphony never bothered to make a second TT... GT just sells a whole lot more.
I would recommend trying RIDE 3. It's a huge game especially with the dlc content and the progression is quite good. RIDE 4 unfortunately has been turned into a grind.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That 300 probably includes everything not just modeling. That’s research, and tuning? Giving the right weight in the right places. Getting the drag correct, the sounds correct. Ect.. ect..

Last edited:
It often takes about a year for scale models of cars/vehicles to get out into production and on shelves. So I can believe it.

There's an anorak overlap for both markets, and the rivet counters of the world take innacuracies seriously and will pull companies up on it if they don't get their research right.

That 300 probably includes everything not just modeling. That’s research, and tuning? Giving the right weight in the right places. Getting the drag correct, the sounds correct. Ect.. ect..
People here think it’s just exporting a 3D model and presto; a new car is in the game.
There’s also: rigging, programming, shaders/materials and testing involved. And of course sound indeed.

Top Bottom