• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's a shame HDR (for me)is so hit or miss in games. Some help needed

Rikkori

Wtf, that's really bad. Can't LG patch this, or is this on MS to do? I would rather leave VRR on for the games that really benefit from it. But for games that don't need it such as Gears 5 I'll disable it in the Xbox settings for sure.

Maybe I could try lowering the TV brightness just a little, or would that not really do the job?

As for RDR2, that sucks. I thought they had greatly improved the HDR but not fully there yet. i I heard that the daytime was great, night was still washed out or just too bright for nighttime. A shame.
Nah, they won't do jack. You can mess with the settings but then you'd introduce shadow crush & co. mostly likely.

Last edited:
I used to enjoy the enhanced colors of HDR, but most games these days seem to just look dull or muted with HDR enabled. Especially Dirt 5 (no way to disable it in game either)

Now I understand that my monitor has crappy HDR specs, but there were so many games on the PS4 that really looked great with HDR enabled but the PS5 seems to be worse most of the time.

I keep HDR off these days. I like the more vibrant colors of SDR.

nkarafo

most computer monitors can't display true HDR. They don't get bright enough and they don't have local dimming zones for those bright highlights and realistic contrast. I have an HDR 400 certified monitor with a wide colour gamut and it still pales in comparison to my tcl r615 because of the peak brightness and local dimming zones. I keep it off for pc gaming.
I didn't play HDR games on my monitor. I also have an HDR capable TV as a second screen.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I have to go now so for now I'll make it short. Later I'll write a longer reply.

When I fired up ACV and right in the beginning of the game with the boy, the room looked ridiculously bad. There were very few light sources and yet the areas that should be pitch black were light grey, you can't tell me that's how it's supposed to look like. Then when I watched a HDTVtest video on it, it was in SDR I saw a world of difference, the room was indeed dark as hell.

I'd say in ACV that has nothing to do with shadow detail. It's just really bad. But that's not everywhere. In outdoor areas during daytime it looks really good!

That's been my experience as well. In my opinion the older AC games (Origins and Oddyssey) didn't have these problems, those games looked fine in HDR on the PS4 Pro.

nkarafo

what tv? and what'd you use for pc games then?
A 43' Samsung UE43RU7402U, which i was told wasn't expensive enough to provide good HDR.

Apparently, only the most expensive, bigger TVs are able to provide this experience. So i'll pass.

Last edited:

Inviusx

C9 owner here, HDR is a fucking meme.

Just turn on HGIG, set the HDR values at the system level and leave it.

Some games will look ok, some games will look dull. Don't keep changing your settings on a per game basis it will drive you insane.

Alternatively just turn it off and it won't take long to realise that you're not missing out on much anyway.

Stafford

We on about the CX gamma shift issue when using VRR & 120FPS mode?

If so they can’t fix it as it’s a panel issue. C1 has it also it seems 🤷‍♂️🙈 but they added a extra option under additional settings under the picture settings of the TV, bottom line it doesn’t work.

So you have 2 choices, disable 120Hz or disable VRR, I just live with it since it’s really only visible in menus. When playing the games you don’t notice it.

It’s a crap situation as I spend 1400 on this TV only to find out it had this bloody issue. Not one review for this TV talked about it or even acknowledged it. But even with this fault it’s a damn nice TV and VRR is brilliant for crappy frame rates.

Edit:
As for HDR 99% of games look great out of the box, but AC I had to bump the ingame HDR settings. But I just wish the games night time was actually dark.

Also the longer you use the TV the better the blacks get, seems you need to break in a OLED.
My C9 is from early 2020 and has been used A LOT. The break in should have been done by now. ;)
Dolby Vision is coming.. it’s in testing now, I don’t know if there are an early returns on how it looks
It's in preview now for those that participate in that, right? Will definitely check it out once it's out for us all.
C9 owner here, HDR is a fucking meme.

Just turn on HGIG, set the HDR values at the system level and leave it.

Some games will look ok, some games will look dull. Don't keep changing your settings on a per game basis it will drive you insane.

Alternatively just turn it off and it won't take long to realise that you're not missing out on much anyway.
Well, it differs per game. Gears 4 for example was a real nice difference. That game even has a option where you can have one half of the screen in SDR and the other half is HDR.

It can really bring a new visual experience, but can I live without it if it comes down to it? Oh absolutely 100%.

Top Bottom