• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's about time developers doesnt remove battle passes you paid for

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Some people hate battle passes, some like them, but nevertheless does developers remove content you actually paid for.

Since it was first introduced, a battle pass often last a season, as in 3 months, sometimes a little longer, and if you don't complete it then you technically lose what you paid for.

I know the reason, its for people to fomo and buy them, and to buy the extra levels before its gone, but where we pay for being able to unlock the content before it gets removed, we technically paid for content that we lose down the line if we don't make it to the end.

While Halo Infinite has many flaws, they are the first as I am aware of, that let's people get the battle pass when it's released, and then you can use as much time as you want to unlock everything - it's yours forever so there's no rush.

I would love to see more developers do this, so it doesn't feel like a chore but you can actually do it in your own haste.

Miles708

I wasn't aware battle passes worked like that.
Things surely for a lot crappier since i last dabbled with online content.

Congrats everyone. Please keep spending.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Is this similar to what bungie are doing with vaulting historic content? Sorry if it’s not and I’ve gone off topic.

I see some people complain about that, I have played destiny 2 and it was fun but dropped it after maybe 6-7 hours. I’d love to get back in but from what I see now you’re pre-levelled up to a degree anyway and the fun is the grind. I get that, I might hop in for this new season but just have so much to play. I think with these live service games you’re either in or out and there is no third way.

There are just so many long single player games that I have to play that it’s hard to get invested in multiplayer as I get older.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I shit on 343i all day, but credit where it's due: them going with the non-expiring Battle Pass is extremely pro-consumer. Hats off. One day in 2029, when Halo Infinite has content and is actually playable, I'll probably a few Battle Passes and actually enjoy completing them and unlocking everything.

Last edited:
Some people hate battle passes, some like them, but nevertheless does developers remove content you actually paid for.

Since it was first introduced, a battle pass often last a season, as in 3 months, sometimes a little longer, and if you don't complete it then you technically lose what you paid for.

I know the reason, its for people to fomo and buy them, and to buy the extra levels before its gone, but where we pay for being able to unlock the content before it gets removed, we technically paid for content that we lose down the line if we don't make it to the end.

While Halo Infinite has many flaws, they are the first as I am aware of, that let's people get the battle pass when it's released, and then you can use as much time as you want to unlock everything - it's yours forever so there's no rush.

I would love to see more developers do this, so it doesn't feel like a chore but you can actually do it in your own haste.

Halo only leaves the battle passes in because if they didn't there would be basically zero customisation options available.

Battle Passes are a double edged sword really, I do wish we could keep them active in the games we play, but at the same time they were invented and designed specifically to induce FOMO and keep you playing that one game over any other. For that reason, I don't think we'll see many games make them permanent.

The_Mike

Halo only leaves the battle passes in because if they didn't there would be basically zero customisation options available.
Halo Infinite can't just catch a break in being talked about negatively, huh.

Even one of the only good thing the games does gets criticised.

Amazing.

It’s one of my biggest gripes with D2, albeit I understand why they need to retire certain gameplay modes, though those weren’t fun to begin with (Menagerie, Wellspring, and now the Ketch and Expedition stuff).

But locking away loot? At least repackage it into the Eververse for later on so players can pursue it if they choose to.

It’s one of my biggest gripes with D2, albeit I understand why they need to retire certain gameplay modes, though those weren’t fun to begin with (Menagerie, Wellspring, and now the Ketch and Expedition stuff).

But locking away loot? At least repackage it into the Eververse for later on so players can pursue it if they choose to.

Which loot are you referring to?

The_Mike

Am I wrong though? 90% of the games cosmetics are obtained through the battle passes.

Fortnite cosmetics can only be unlocked with money or battle pass. It expires.
Apex Legends can only be unlocked with money or battle pass. It expires.
CoD Warzone can only be unlocked with money or battle pass. It expires.

But Halo Infinite is bad because it doesnt remove battle pass.

Cool logic, and fuck me for baiting on your trolling.

Fortnite cosmetics can only be unlocked with money or battle pass. It expires.
Apex Legends can only be unlocked with money or battle pass. It expires.
CoD Warzone can only be unlocked with money or battle pass. It expires.

But Halo Infinite is bad because it doesnt remove battle pass.

Cool logic, and fuck me for baiting on your trolling.

You didn't answer the question. If Infinite removed battle passes, there would be barely any cosmetics available to obtain. Whether you want to admit that or not is irrelevant to the conversation, and regardless of what you believe it isn't trolling to state facts.

BeardGawd

Banned
Battle Passes expiring has always puzzled me. So if someone buys one a week before it expires they are SOL? Even tho they paid the same amount as everyone else? Seems crazy to me.

Rykan

Battle passes are the worst for form of monetization. It's hilarious how people actually ask them to be implanted. You pay for the contents, then you have you "play" to unlock the content you paid for (sometimes by completing annoying objectives) and If you don't do it quick enough, you'll lose the content you've already paid for.

How the fuck did this garbage become the norm?

VN1X

Banned
Battle passes are the worst for form of monetization. It's hilarious how people actually ask them to be implanted. You pay for the contents, then you have you "play" to unlock the content you paid for (sometimes by completing annoying objectives) and If you don't do it quick enough, you'll lose the content you've already paid for.

How the fuck did this garbage become the norm?

It's about FOMO and engagement. Battle passes drive huge amounts of engagement. It's not so much the money they get from it (although that's obviously a big factor as well) as much as it is people returning to the game and getting invested. The only games that I know which do the "activate whatever battle pass you want and take as long as you want" are Diabotical (which I'm pretty sure flopped as it's an arena shooter that only launched on EGS) and Halo: Infinite and... well, while I applaud the effort that game has a whole heap of other issues at the moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom