• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been exactly a year since PS5 released and you still can't walk into a shop and purchase one

A2una1

Your fault for using a Vita for remote play. Use PSPlay app if you got android, connect your PS5 via ethernet and remote play should have way less lag.
The issue is not the lag, the issue is there is no remote play support for the vita with ps5 šŸ˜‰

tommib

I 100% probably would have impulse bought a PS5 if they were available.

At this point I think I went long enough that I dont think I need one anymore (Im primarily a PC gamer).

Of course they dont have enough supply but I wonder if long term the sales of the console will suffer due to people like me.
It will definitely affect sales and people in the PSN ecosystem. Today I messaged a friend about the Elden Ring NT and how good it was and he replied saying he was absolutely done with trying to find a PS5 and was tempted to buy a Series X just because you actually can in Portugal at retail price. I bet heā€™s not alone.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
If you wish to buy high-tech electronics at a somewhat reasonable price before 2030, pray that covid will definitively be made harmless by the end of next year, that the multiple economic and financial bubbles that are starting to pop in China don't snowball into a full economic crisis, that China again won't play some dumb fascist stunt like bombing Taiwan, that whatever plans the US and the EU have to set up brand new top-of-the-line chip factories in their territories work out flawlessly, and that the price for some key raw materials will go down a bit thanks to some new technologies that allow for their substitution in some applications. Probably all five at the same time.

Last edited:

saintjules

I hear a lot of ā€œby this time I rather wait for a PS5 Proā€. Yea, like those will be any easier to get when releasedā€¦

Or if they'll even exist. I remembered before launch the rumors about the 2nd SKU being a Pro version that would be released alongside the base model. It ended up being the digital model.

I think based on the specs, these Consoles could make it through a whole gen by themselves. But hey, if there's a Pro, I'm all for it.

I was very very lucky to get mine.

I basically entered a lottery for the right to buy one and I won. This store allocates some PS5s for in-store sales which is why I was able to secure one without buying one online. Hopefully there are other stores that do something similar because I know buying one online can have some risks.

KAL2006

Banned
Or if they'll even exist. I remembered before launch the rumors about the 2nd SKU being a Pro version that would be released alongside the base model. It ended up being the digital model.

I think based on the specs, these Consoles could make it through a whole gen by themselves. But hey, if there's a Pro, I'm all for it.

There will definitely be a Pro, but the Pro is most likely going to be delayed due to pandemic and chip shortage. Probably expect it at year 4 now for the console generation, and the generation will probably last an additional year or 2 as well.

RPS37

Now that Iā€™ve done some research on expanded storage options for the PS5, Iā€™m thinking of starting to look for one.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This isn't a good thing as PS5 is currently tracking behind the PS4. Sony is missing out on valuable covid momentum with the chip shortages.

On the bright side, once chips can be supplied both Sony and Microsoft will make up their deficits from the pandemic as quickly as they can fabricate them. Same as now, sure, but theyā€™re basically both assured massive sells once all this shit blows over for years to come.

Lunarorbit

A couple of months ago I lucked out and got a bundle with 5 games for $850. Matt swider was the only person I followed on Twitter and some random bundle came through and I snatched one up.

I'm playing kingdoms of amalur on it now though. Not that tbere aren't awesome games out for it but if you can wait you aren't missing a ton.

Honestly if I was still looking I'd go to stockx. Disc version was $780 today. Sucks but if you've been stressing out about finding one and have the extra cash just do that.

scalman

maybe you can order it , but prices are like too much here...so no ... i bought ps4 pro used .. guess will buy ps5 same when proper game will release on it ... its shame... when i thin that i bought ps2 and ps3 just for GT games... and now its like PS4/PS5 GT game...

Last edited:

Old Retro

I actually saw one on display at a major retail just the other day, first time I had seen one in person. And I'm one of those people that has checked out every console since generation 2. You couldn't bring that as carry on baggage the PS5 is fucking huge!

I didn't even bother to check if they had any in stock. First generation/Playstation that offers me absolutely nothing new. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

WiCkEd_Co

I have had an extra one on my bedroom floor unopened for months, My buddy wanted one so I snagged one for him. Then tells me he wants the digital version and not the disc. So its been sitting till I figure what to do with it, maybe one of my brother will get a nice xmas gift.

base

Banned
It's just crazy had this ever happened before with any generation prior. And when can we expect to be able to just walk in a shop and purchase a PS5, or even a Series X or graphics card. Are we talking 2022, 2023, 2024? I guess making Gran Turismo 7, God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West cross gen maoes sense after all. I personally think we will get another full year of cross gen with games like Call of Duty 2022 and etc all being cross gen. Next gen won't really properly start until sometime in 2023 which is just insanse. Yes we have had exclusives like Ratchet, Demons Souls and Returnal. But this ain't massive games like God of War.
Nothing interesting to play anyway.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wonder if there was unlimited supply where the next gen consoles sales number would be at.

It wouls also be interesting to know what the disc to digital split has been.

JayK47

Waiting for the PS5 Ultra Slim Pro.

I am not seeing much on the shelves these days. Nintendo Switch? Nope. PS5? Hell no. I think I may have seen Xbox Series S at Costco.

My "new" PC is almost 2 damn years old. Time sure flies. By time I pick up a PS5 or Xbox Series, I imagine it will be 3 or so years into the generation with plenty of games out.

scalman

If they would make gt7 ps5 only ..boom i need that.. but because it will be on ps4 as well thats changes everything. Ps4 pro will look good too im sure. So yh still waiting when there will be true next gen games for it. Couple that exist are not enough

Marty-McFly

Banned
I wonder if there was unlimited supply where the next gen consoles sales number would be at.

It wouls also be interesting to know what the disc to digital split has been.
PS4's best year was 20 million, but sales have risen higher because of Covid for now so it's hard to say.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My green rat avatar says I agree with him.

Having one of these fancy next gen consoles is nice, but nobody has really missed out on any games by not owning one yet.

While you're not wrong (except for Demon's Souls and R&C, which are both very good and worth playing), pretty much all games getting released are MUCH better experiences on the new consoles, to the point that in some cases the last-gen versions are outright bad. That's also worth something, even if there aren't many next-gen exclusives yet.

I know I haven't regretted buying a PS5 for a single moment, even though I also have a PS4 Pro. Currently playing Ghost of Tsushima, and it's so good at 60fps.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It's amazing Sony has been able to get as many PS5's shipped as they have to be honest. They've bent over backwards to get these out.

So many electronic parts are constrained now. Doubt this will let up for the next year at least. I can see Sony holding off a bit on console selling exclusives as there aren't really many consoles to actually sell. Wouldn't surprise me to see some more delays in first party games.

MUCH better experiences on the new consoles, to the point that in some cases the last-gen versions are outright bad.

I understand what you mean. Death Stranding on the PS4 isn't bad but it's much better on the PS5. They really nailed the performance there plus the removal of CBR really improves the IQ quite a bit.

FF7 is also another one that's vastly better on the PS5 then there's RE7 which brings some pretty big upgrades as well.

I know I won't go back to playing my PS4 that's for sure.

Hugare

I decided to try to buy a ps5 for my step-son for Christmas. Hasnā€™t been going well.
At least here in Brazil, there are groups on Whatsapp, Telegram and etc that warn people when a new batch is coming.

There are some Twitter accounts also doing it

Hope that you are able to catch one for your little guy

At least here in Brazil, there are groups on Whatsapp, Telegram and etc that warn people when a new batch is coming.

There are some Twitter accounts also doing it

Hope that you are able to catch one for your little guy

I signed up for a couple of Twitter alerts, so hopefully that works out. Also signed up for the PlayStation direct registration. My step-son is 23 but he is pretty short.

Top Bottom