• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its dangerous to compare crossgen games and bc games as benchmarck heres why.

Weve seen this time and time again and its getting boring, a crossgen game comes out enhanced, bc or on nextgen consoles and the tech youtubers start comparing resolutions load times and frame rates, come on lets be real here.

After watching metro exodus enhanced version on ps5 and series x console wars started and every fanboy seems to call it a benchmark some say ps5 rules in fps some say xbox rules in resolution, well neither is really true at the moment because of the nature of this games doesnt matter if devs call it a native port.

Cause this games still suffer from running legacy code n devs wont waste time optimizing this games just to have parity because somebody online complained theres a few pixels less on his platform or 2 frames where dropped in his platform as opposed to.the other during an hours gameplay 😂, this so called crossgen games are still running lastgen engines, last gen code, last gen logic, the ps5 deffinetely still runs ps4 code but just enhanced to give you better resolutions and fps same as xbox.

And theres variable results some games run overall better on ps5 in res and fps mostly fps some run better on series x in res and fps mostly res, this variable results dont mean anything and I caution people to wait for actual nextgen only games made with nextgen engines from scratch to really utilize this machines properly and until then well have an actuall benchmark.

Just recently I watched "NX gamers" take on star wars and the new patch runs at higher res on ps5 than the older bc version and actually same res and fps as on series x and also could have slightly better fps..

Earlier before the patch people actually claimed the ps5 was too weak to run same res and fps as xbox which was false and this patch shows you shouldnt prematurely take crossgen games as benchmark. And another example is call of duty warzone on ps5.

Earlier people claimed ps5 wasnt powerful enough to run warzone at 120fps simply because 120hz mode wasnt available on ps5 which also was fraud since the 120fps mode has arrived on ps5 and actually runs at even higher frame rates than on series x.

So moral of the story guys just stop warring over crossgen titles they arent native and are just ports with enhancements that werent made to take complete use on the nextgen consoles because of the complexity of how they where made.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Explosion Reaction GIF

elliot5

Idk who was claiming PS5 wasn't powerful enough, when it was obvious that it was a limitation of the BC implementation for PS5. Not sure what they did to get 120hz unlocked though, I'd be interesting in hearing their solution.

I do know though that PS5 is prob running at the CB (half horiz) ~1520p which was the max res of the PS4 Pro, while XSX is CB 2160p (4K) in 120hz mode with 16xAF which obviously is all more demanding in comparison. PS5 does have the higher clocks which has been shown to benefit framerate lately.

Anyway, yeah obviously not good to compare without native apps or games written with last gen capabilities in mind. If people look to compare games they really need to have the same settings between them, but the prevalence of Dynamic Res makes it hard to judge apples to apples. Thankfully resolution is becoming less of a necessity to overall image quality so in the end I think everyone will get good quality out of games.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Forget the bad typing the information is more important.
I think a poorly written post isn't really that important.
He could've just commented it one of the many threads that end up arguing about this silly stuff.
I think people need to focus on enjoying games more than worrying about how the game looks and runs on the other platform (unless they own both platforms and want the best experience)

I think a poorly written post isn't really that important.
He could've just commented it one of the many threads that end up arguing about this silly stuff.
I think people need to focus on enjoying games more than worrying about how the game looks and runs on the other platform (unless they own both platforms and want the best experience)
People just wanna troll most of the times they think english is the holy grail of languages in the universe, they understand the message pr topic but are more interested with the grammar its ridiculous. They are simply trolls, most of them cant even pass a high school english test but want to be grammar professionals on a website dedicated for gamers.

Sadly they won't see it. If their favorite toy won by 0.00018, then they will celebrate like no end.

Its like a pack of hyenas.
Its really silly. I can almost feel the tension whenever a crossgen or bc game comes out and df,vgtech nx gamer release a video everybody loses their mind, they start shooting each other with unlimited ammo over 2 frame dips and 100 pixels 😂😂😂

Comparing the BC mode games between ps5 and series x is fine, sometimes people just want to know which next gen console has the best version of a game... The problem is that some people don't understand why the ps5 lags so far behind in these titles, while it performs just as well as the series x in orders.

Idk who was claiming PS5 wasn't powerful enough, when it was obvious that it was a limitation of the BC implementation for PS5. Not sure what they did to get 120hz unlocked though, I'd be interesting in hearing their solution.

I do know though that PS5 is prob running at the CB (half horiz) ~1520p which was the max res of the PS4 Pro, while XSX is CB 2160p (4K) in 120hz mode with 16xAF which obviously is all more demanding in comparison. PS5 does have the higher clocks which has been shown to benefit framerate lately.

Anyway, yeah obviously not good to compare without native apps or games written with last gen capabilities in mind. If people look to compare games they really need to have the same settings between them, but the prevalence of Dynamic Res makes it hard to judge apples to apples. Thankfully resolution is becoming less of a necessity to overall image quality so in the end I think everyone will get good quality out of games.
Alot of people said it wasnt powerful enough and brushed the weak bc implementation on ps5 as playstation fanboy nonesense.

assurdum

Banned
Comparing the BC mode games between ps5 and series x is fine, sometimes people just want to know which next gen console has the best version of a game... The problem is that some people don't understand why the ps5 lags so far behind in these titles, while it performs just as well as the series x in orders.
I think cross-gen on series X should have a noticeable advantage in development over the ps5, the nature of his tools is notorious to everyone. Now I'm not trying to say series X can't handle better the multiplat but in such case it's definitely more favourite.

Last edited:
Well its bad to compare performance on bc titles and call it a benchmark on how this systems perform because there are a plethora of hardware, api and desigb problems from such titles that doesnt use the systems well especially the ps5. You can compare as you want but shouldnt call it benchmark! That should wait until nextgen games come out.

Well its bad to compare performance on bc titles and call it a benchmark on how this systems perform because there are a plethora of hardware, api and desigb problems from such titles that doesnt use the systems well especially the ps5. You can compare as you want but shouldnt call it benchmark! That should wait until nextgen games come out.
I agree, but you still see how the platforms perform under this situation.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Agree, we should stop doing that otherwise our console will explode infront our face, its too dangerous.

I think in cross-gen still series X should have a noticeable advantage in development over the ps5, the nature of his tools is notorious to everyone. Now I'm not trying to say series X can't handle better the multiplat but in this case it's definitely favourite more.
You can say that and sometimes you cant thats why I dont support crossgen bc comparisons weve seen for a while xbox winning bc in res weve seen for a while ps5 winning bc in fps some games have better fps and res on xbox some have better fps and res on ps5, its because of this variable performances on this crossgen games that makes calling them a benchmark, wrong.

ZywyPL

Banned
I want to play game XYZ. It runs like this on PS5, and it runs like that on XSX. What's hard to understand? Stop with the excuses, end result is what matters, not how it's achieved by/what causes it.

I want to play game XYZ. It runs like this on PS5, and it runs like that on XSX. What's hard to understand? Stop with the excuses, end result is what matters, not how it's achieved by/what causes it.
Thats not the problem, the problem starts when people call it a benchmark, 😂😂 weve all seen xbox fans shit on playstation saying 12 teraflops rules just because a bc title performs better on xbox and playstation fans mocking xbox fans with "the tools are coming memes" when a title performs better on ps5, this crossgen titles arent benchmarks its pointless calling them so.

Last edited:
Agree, we should stop doing that otherwise our console will explode infront our face, its too dangerous.
Its dangerous technically, if you want to be a decent gamer or tech fan I think its dangerous to jump and call such comparisons benchmark, remember when alex from digital foundry compared controls photo mode as benchmark between series x and ps5 and got laughed at online, thats why its dangerous.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
This would be a great place for all the warriors to assemble and fight it out instead of polluting every other thread.

Can we sticky this one mods??

Last edited:

Mr Moose

2730x1536 > 1920x2160 (though 1372x1536 isn't, it's unclear how often it drops to that).

elliot5

2730x1536 > 1920x2160 (though 1372x1536 isn't, it's unclear how often it drops to that).
Where are you getting the 2730x1536 res from? I know that's the standard 60hz framerate but everything I've watched was at 120 hz it kicks back to the lowest of the DRS scale which is the CB amount. (native 4k on xsx to cb 4k)

Mr Moose

Where are you getting the 2730x1536 res from? I know that's the standard 60hz framerate but everything I've watched was at 120 hz it kicks back to the lowest of the DRS scale which is the CB amount. (native 4k on xsx to cb 4k)

PS5 in the 120fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 2730x1536 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1372x1536. On PS5 in the 120fps mode a form of temporal reconstruction is used that can reconstruct a 2730x1536 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

I agree with op, and yeah all the back and forth is getting dry and pretty corny lol. I wonder if some of the regulars actually play games or do much of anything else
I doubt they even play games, even for myself I had a good time playing games before I discovered neogaf where everybody mocked people like me for playing 720p 25-30 fps x360/ps3 games at the time when I played everything from pc to console and enjoyed it but after neogaf indoctrination enjoyment is thrown out the window now its about having 1 fps more 50 pixels more and 1 second faster load times than someones console. 😂😂😂

anthony2690

Banned
People just wanna troll most of the times they think english is the holy grail of languages in the universe, they understand the message pr topic but are more interested with the grammar its ridiculous. They are simply trolls, most of them cant even pass a high school english test but want to be grammar professionals on a website dedicated for gamers.
You've turned this into something completely different, calm down.

No wonder you had dangerous in your title, this has turned into chaos over a post that could've just been another comment on the comparisons threads.

Yeah you see how they perform but it isnt real its like judging a 5000£ pc on emulating a ps3 game and runs it at a struggling 17fps and calling it a benchmark against a ps3
No, that PS3 emulation benchmark tells you how good the PC is at emulating the PS3... Thinking otherwise is just strange.

Measuring backward compatibility performance and benefits for each platform is good, so long as you know what it is you are looking at ( DF makes a pretty bad job of explaining where the differences come from, but it doesn't means that the information should be burried).

I say all that as a ps5 owner, MS has a better approach for this specific things, there is no reason to hide it.

I doubt they even play games, even for myself I had a good time playing games before I discovered neogaf where everybody mocked people like me for playing 720p 25-30 fps x360/ps3 games at the time when I played everything from pc to console and enjoyed it but after neogaf indoctrination enjoyment is thrown out the window now its about having 1 fps more 50 pixels more and 1 second faster load times than someones console. 😂😂😂
Iol exactly man. The Dirt 5 stuff…..I was sitting here like people are getting banned, cursing each other to holy hell over……………….Dirt 5.

how many of them playing that BS now?

No, that PS3 emulation benchmark tells you how good the PC is at emulating the PS3... Thinking otherwise is just strange.

Measuring backward compatibility performance and benefits for each platform is good, so long as you know what it is you are looking at ( DF makes a pretty bad job of explaining where the differences come from, but it doesn't means that the information should be burried).

I say all that as a ps5 owner, MS has a better approach for this specific things, there is no reason to hide it.
Backward compatibility is also a test on how a console emulates older consoles not a benchmark of the hardware performance like wise on pc youll do a benchmark with a pc game and on console you do a benchmark on a game specifically made for it not bc emulation.

Backward compatibility is also a test on how a console emulates older consoles not a benchmark of the hardware performance like wise on pc youll do a benchmark with a pc game and on console you do a benchmark on a game specifically made for it not bc emulation.
I don't care how you decide to slice-and-dice the reason why performance under that scenario does not count, it still gives you information about how some type of software (most of the PS5 library falls into that category at the moment).

If I wanted to emulate PS3 games, well I would look into the performance of specific hardware for that scenario (CPU/Memory speed/GPU performance mostly)... Same for games that are run in PS4 mode, if I play only third party titles it provides a valuable data point, as long as you understand the context that makes it relevant (the PS5 in PS4 PRO mode loses a lot of its performance)... I want to know they don't show me the whole of what the machine could deliver, and then why.

Now, if you have an xbox series x the scenario is different, on xbox targetting the news machines at compile time seems much easier, and it allows devs to make full use of the hardware (or very close to it) in existing games, and this is not clear for how long this will be relevant, but they patched a good number of games for 120fps by example--it is an advantage in the eyes of some people... The cause of the performance delta is not relevant to the average user, they just want to know that a given machine will let them use their new TV to its fullest in their favorite game right away.

Again, I am not a fan of Microsoft, but your arguments don't mean anything. Every scenario has to be tested to get an overall idea of the performance in a given platform, when a platform does not perform as expected, we can look for information and decide if it's an actual issue or just some limited "problem" because of how the platform is structured--just be sure that people know what they are actually looking at when comparing this way.

I don't care how you decide to slice-and-dice the reason why performance under that scenario does not count, it still gives you information about how some type of software (most of the PS5 library falls into that category at the moment).

If I wanted to emulate PS3 games, well I would look into the performance of specific hardware for that scenario (CPU/Memory speed/GPU performance mostly)... Same for games that are run in PS4 mode, if I play only third party titles it provides a valuable data point, as long as you understand the context that makes it relevant (the PS5 in PS4 PRO mode loses a lot of its performance)... I want to know they don't show me the whole of what the machine could deliver, and then why.

Now, if you have an xbox series x the scenario is different, on xbox targetting the news machines at compile time seems much easier, and it allows devs to make full use of the hardware (or very close to it) in existing games, and this is not clear for how long this will be relevant, but they patched a good number of games for 120fps by example--it is an advantage in the eyes of some people... The cause of the performance delta is not relevant to the average user, they just want to know that a given machine will let them use their new TV to its fullest in their favorite game right away.

Again, I am not a fan of Microsoft, but your arguments don't mean anything. Every scenario has to be tested to get an overall idea of the performance in a given platform, when a platform does not perform as expected, we can look for information and decide if it's an actual issue or just some limited "problem" because of how the platform is structured--just be sure that people know what they are actually looking at when comparing this way.
I aint slicing and dicing anything the fact still remains bc crossgen games are not benchmarks of how a system fully performs they are simply emulated code it only shows which system has better emulation not which system is more powerful so judging what system is powerful than the other by using bc crossgen games is idiotic we have to wait for actuall nextgen games to set benchmarks.

squarealex

Damn, Warzone on PS5 is pretty solid for a BC PS4 game.

And when near, you see Metro runing like shit loading but "native PS5"... what a joke

Top Bottom