• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Going To Be Hard To Get A New Console This Holiday, Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Says

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
The Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 console generation has so far been one of limited supply, as supply shortages have affected availability. While supply chain issues have begun improving, Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer expects consoles to be hard to come by towards the end of the year.

"I still think demand will outstrip supply for us this holiday," Spencer said in an interview with Bloomberg. "We'll see when we get into 2023, we'll see that supply is starting to catch up with demand. Maybe even see one in the stores when you walk in."

One of the big factors in console scarcity has been the ongoing global semiconductor shortage that has had a massive effect on all forms of technology. Nintendo has reported a decline in console sales this year by 23% compared to the last fiscal year and even Sony has had to raise the price of the PS5 in Europe, the United Kingdom, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and parts of North America.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The holiday season will get real crazy, I don't anticipate visiting any big chain retailer around black friday for fear of being trampled.

I see so many Switches everywhere I go. I know that changes during the holidays. But man so many Switches sitting around in stores. I don’t think Nintendo’s issue is demand outstripping supply any more; I think it’s time for a price drop because they have a 5 1/2 year old console. And I’m sure I’m not the only one holding off on a new one until there’s a true hardware upgrade.

Series X might be hard find to find but I've never seen the series s out of stock for long. It's always available most of the time. That's how it is in the UK anyway. Dont know what the situation is like elsewhere.

PS5 is annoying because you just never know when sony will send a shipment. Sometimes its in stock for hours at a time, other times theres no stock at all for weeks. There's no consistency.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
The standalone always sells out so fast. Its only ridiculous bundles over £600 that are in stock.
Standalones haven’t been out for months in the UK - the ‘base’ console sold is now the bundle with Horizon. And that has indeed sat in stock for hours at a time with loads of retailers over the past couple of months, occasionally even stretching in to days.

anthony2690

Banned
The standalone always sells out so fast. Its only ridiculous bundles over £600 that are in stock.
No the horizon bundle was in for a good couple weeks, my work mate got one after waiting to get paid, from game, nothing extra but the console and game, think it was £500? (This was before the price increase though)

Standalones haven’t been out for months in the UK - the ‘base’ console sold is now the bundle with Horizon. And that has indeed sat in stock for hours at a time with loads of retailers over the past couple of months, occasionally even stretching in to days.

Good signs. Sony are going to ramp up production massively to reach their forecast, so it should only get better moving forward.

jm89

Standalones have been in-stock for close to a week on playstation direct.

Problem is alot of people haven't got a clue about ps direct. When Argos or Smyths who are more well known retailers have standalones it's sells out within a day.

Standalones have been in-stock for close to a week on playstation direct.

Problem is alot of people haven't got a clue about ps direct. When Argos or Smyths who are more well known retailers have standalones it's sells out within a day.

Damn, even i didn't know you could buy directly from sony.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Good signs. Sony are going to ramp up production massively to reach their forecast, so it should only get better moving forward.
There are still periods when no one has any stock for days/a week or so, and in those cases it is only the stupid expensive bundles that are left.

Personally I think the PS5 is going to be hard/impossible to find again come Christmas, the consistency in stock still isn’t there. I hope you’re right about them ramping up production but they have to feed the whole world and some places have barely had anything compared to the UK/US.

If you know you want to buy someone a PS5 or XSX for Christmas, just grab one now if you have the money. People that wait until the Holidays are in full swing are just setting themselves up for a stressful time.

Banjo64

cumsessed
If you know you want to buy someone a PS5 or XSX for Christmas, just grab one now if you have the money. People that wait until the Holidays are in full swing are just setting themselves up for a stressful time.
Yeah but where’s the fun in that? Is it really Christmas if you aren’t shopping at 7pm on Christmas Eve and thinking ‘fuck, what should I get for the missus?’

Yeah but where’s the fun in that? Is it really Christmas if you aren’t shopping at 7pm on Christmas Eve and thinking ‘fuck, what should I get for the missus?’

I worked retail for a decade at what was one of the busiest WalMarts in the country. I feel genuinely bad for the poor bastards in electronics getting dogpiled by angry moms on Christmas eve because they don't have a wall of consoles ready for them. I was in the trenches when the Wii hit its peak, I swear the Nintendo rep must have PTSD.

no problem phil.

i'm waiting on slim models. the XSX is already quite small but at this point i'll just wait. can't say the same for PS5. that thing needs to be put on a serious diet.

there is a severe lack of interesting games too especially from PS. i'm not seeing any interesting games from either console until well into 2023 but i do have a PC so i guess if i didn't have this i might be tempted to get a XSX sooner.

this is the first console generation i've not really been excited about.

Top Bottom