• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's January 1, 2028. Predict the State of the Gaming Industry.

th4tguy

Ps5 and xsx are still the main consoles and a lot of gamers will complain that we need next gen while a very vocal minority will argue that they are just hitting their stride and that they just got their systems and so we can wait another few years.

VAVA Mk2

Playstation will still be market leader, roughly 120 million sold. PSVR will be a moderate success with 12 million sold. VR remains a niche product. Playstation Studios are still releasing amazing games, however most of the GaaS games have not gained massive traction, such is the nature of GaaS games. They have some moderate success with TV and film. Playstation emulation still sucks.

Xbox will still be 3rd place, but will have done better. 75 million sold. They will not have transitioned to a third party publisher. Activision deal might or might not have gone through, if it did COD will be on all platforms. They have finally figured out how to have a stable cadence of first party output. Game pass is better then some thought, worse then others hoped. Roughly 40 million subscribers.

Both Xbox and Sony have made acquisitions. If the Activision deal fell through then it would be no publishers, only small development studios.

Nintendo is still Nintendo. Switch eventually sold around 140 million units while the Switch 2 is doing great, but not to the heights of the first Switch. On track for 120 million sold. They still ignore PC.

PC keeps doing what is does, with steady growth. Steam remains the primary store, EGS free games have either stopped or slowed to a crawl. Nvidia continues to be the GPU of choice. Several Steam Deck releases have occured, handheld PCs remain a small but growing section of PC gaming.

Next-gen console will either release 2027 or 2028, Playstation and Xbox specs are once again close to each other. Disc drives would be a add-on to both consoles with Physical making up 5% of games sold.
Probably the most realistic prediction so far.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Microsoft will buy Sony and we will get xpstation 10 with gta VII for release title
I'm looking forward to those Microsoft branded cameras, blu ray players, hifi components and tv's personally all running some version of Windows 12 or a bastardised cut down version of it...

Last edited:

Jennings

• Big titty booth babes are back at conventions.
  • Big titty protagonists are newly created to star in brand new action adventure games.
  • Big titty cosplayers, streamers, and influencers team up with publishers to promote games.
  • Big titty executives give daily gaming deals through their OF pages.

Gudji

Jimbo is retired living on a beach and smoking weed everyday. Cerny is the new Playstation CEO and just released Knack 4, meanwhile Drunkman has released TLOU Part III where Abbie and Ellie team up to fuck up Dina.

Phil Spencer is still trying to buy Activision and has released a new wave of Forza, Halo and Gears games. Xbox fans go wild "this is what Xbox is all about, long live gamepass".

Nintendo finally releases the switch PRO.

Gaben does the usual:

gaben GIF

PCs have gone the way of Sega and don't exist anymore as everyone switched to iOS and Android.
wtf you smokin?

you think people who spend thousands on PC hardware to get the best graphics/performance are suddenly going to switch to fucking iOS and Android? lmfao

as a pc gamer i thought about going back to consoles but decided nah i'm dropping another £2.5k upgrading my £3k PC.

i do play games on my phone but no way in high hell would i make it my main platform lol.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
1 - Augmented Reality glasses are now on their 3rd generation, with high resolution, high brightness, wide FoV and usable ergonomics. We're going to start using AR glasses for everything, we'll just project virtual content "anywhere" instead of spending 4h/day hurting our eyes looking at tiny 6" screens in the palms of our hands or even looking at PC monitors to work. Apple, Google, Facebook and Microsoft own most of the digital content platforms, all based on Metaverse (and whatever Apple is going to call theirs because they'll definitely refuse to call it Metaverse). We still use smartphones but they mostly just become a pocket computer that tethers content wirelessly into our AR glasses. AR glasses can also just adapt into VR glasses with an attachment.

2 - TVs and monitors are losing mindshare and marketshare to AR headsets, so all markets are changing gears to AR and VR. Videogames included.

3 - Next-gen home consoles still come with legacy HDMI output but also have a dedicated WiFi 7 or 8 connection to our AR glasses to tether VR content into them. Stereoscopic rendering becomes a must on all new games. Sony's PSVR2 efforts become immediately usable.

4 - Star Citizen finally drops all development after taking >$1B from whales backers and without ever releasing SQ42 nor having any release above alpha state. Despite that, Eurogamer still keeps releasing a fluff piece about it every 3 months focusing on how great its technical developments are.

5 - Star Field is an astounding success for Bethesda/Microsoft despite a rocky release and it's now getting its gen 10 console re-relase / remaster. Elder Scrolls VI's release has been postponed to late 2028 because of how successful Starfield became.

7 - No Man's Sky 2 releases and people just buy it in troves because everyone feels so guilty for getting free stuff for over a decade.

Toots

Gold Member
January 1st, 2028 9:48

During the Nintendo Direct presentation of the first operational Iwatabot, Sega terrorists launch an attack on the Xi Jingping stadium (formerly Crypto.com Arena, formerly Staples Center) where the event is taking place. They manage to nab the bot, at the price of the life of two Sega Soldiers, Ch40sH3dgOg69 and D4rkLord420 may their immortal souls reach Sonic Heaven. The remaining Segaheads managed to flee and ultimately reach Segata Sanshiro's base on the moon, where, according to deeply undercover twitter insiders (Twitter was circled and cut off from the normal world in 2026, and no one can enter or leave the cesspool apart from a few selected highly trained governement operatives tasked with separating truth from facts, and bots from -barely- human beings still there), they are enacting the final phase of a mysterious project, codenamed Dural 2, supposed to bring an end to console war for good and usher in Sega's 1000 year empire.

Apart from that, Fifa 29 is currently number 1 in sales in the UK and Spain, and 82.5% of the games released this year are just remakes of games from 2022.

T4keD0wN

Sony has bought Square Enix right after they released their very first good game 4,5 years ago which has temporarily inflated their value.
300Watt Switch 4k rumours are starting to surface again. LOL
AMD GPUS are still 3 years behind nvidia and 1 year behind intels when it comes to features.
EA is concidered the good guy.
90% of games relased in last 5 years have been made in Unity or Unreal engine.
No game has released in months as they keep getting delayed as human exploitation of planets natural resources for profit has caused extreme weather disasters to become a daily occurence. Developers have no or very limited access to electricity as large amount of infrastructure is destroyed (We werent ready as not a single person could predict that this might happen) and the limited electricity is only allowed to be used by companies producing goods that fulfill basic human necessities and billionaires.
Star citizen is still not out despite reaching 1Billion in funding.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Konami would have near enough left the gaming scene as a whole.....Pro Evo would be from another universe and it would take the fans to revive it....Nintendo releases the Switch 2....and Metal Gear Solid get's its first remake to commemorate the 30 years since it first came out

VR still won't have taken off - 'just wait until next year' will be the cry from the faithful.
People who buy consoles and games and own them will be seen as old fashioned and out of touch.
The PS5 and XBX will only then be starting to show their age.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The world has ended in a apocalyptic state from WW3 nuclear fallout. Only a hand full of communities are left desperately trying find ways of decontaminating soil to grow food. In a dark corner a lone 6 year old orphan plays a Nintendo switch.

VR still won't have taken off - 'just wait until next year' will be the cry from the faithful.
People who buy consoles and games and own them will be seen as old fashioned and out of touch.
The PS5 and XBX will only then be starting to show their age.
i'm going to disagree about VR.

i think VR (and AR) is going to have a major boom next year or whenever the fuck Apple release their headset. It is rumored to be out this year. They are releasing two products this decade which would be the AR/VR headset and AR glasses.

Whether you like Apple or not you can't deny their products sell and set trends. Also, Apple intends for the headset to be their main product within 10 years of release. So if it comes out 2023 then by 2033. That means they want it to replace iPhone which is currently their cash cow. By the 2030s they want to release AR contacts. There is no doubt that Apple is throwing billions at this headset and VR in general.

I think by 2024/25 we'll look back at the current state of VR the same as "smartphones" pre-2007 (or the original iPhone release).

By 2028 i think VR will have taken off. Think of how much the world changed between 2006-2011. 5 years. Imagine what the world could be like in 5 years from now.

It's a huge gamble by Apple but if anyone is going to kick VR into the next level it's them. Naturally, if they do so then many will follow and we'll see significant advancements in the technology. Facebook is definitely waiting to see what Apple's move is with VR/AR. If it proves to be successful we could see Sony/Valve/Microsoft jumping in.

People like to joke at the metaverse but it's not just what Facebook is trying to sell you (a VR chat rip off). There is insane potential and money to be made from the metaverse. It could change the world just like smartphones did. Instead of having a phone in your hand these companies would LOVE to have you strap a device acrosss your eyes and beam their ads right into your eyeballs. That's the metaverse.

edit: as for your other points. PS5/XBX only showing their age in 2028? alright you're trolling lol. they are already outdated and they are only just over 2 years old. by 2028 they will be struggling.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Games will be better than ever and people still will complain endlessly on the internet about how things aren't as good as they used to be!

AndrewRyan

AR glasses that connect to your phone are everywhere and used by everyone. This is how the majority of casual players game.

SteamOS is the primary gaming platform that publishers target first. There's over 100 companies making SteamOS portables, consoles, and VR rigs.

Microsoft only sells games via. Game Pass. They have portables and consoles dedicated to Game Pass. Game Pass games will primarily be a mix of FTP & open world and single player games will trend towards shorter experiences.

Microsoft and Valve have a working but strained relationship.

Sony will struggle trying to find the balance between PC and PSN objectives. The PS6 will not sell as well as PS5.

Hackers will flock to PSVR2 for use on PC. Sony will try to prevent this for years but towards the end-of-life will finally give in, increase the price and release a driver.

Nintendo's next hybrid console will pick up where Switch left off and will sell well for the first two years.

Software sales will not match the the previous generation however since their lack of online services will really start to hurt.

A SteamOS handheld will be released with an incredibly cool design that takes the world by storm and will make Nintendo's system look ancient overnight.

Apple will release a gaming console that will surprise everyone will how good it is and will finally put Apple on the map for hardcore gaming.

A new invention that lets you walk in any direction becomes standard for home VR.

VR is commonly used at work for training. Many IT workers stay in VR throughout the workday.

VR is commonly used for socializing. You'll have your own favorite town squares to hang out.

VR tracks all your limbs, not just head and hands. There are smell options.

You will own a VR property and consider it very valuable.

i'm going to disagree about VR.

i think VR (and AR) is going to have a major boom next year or whenever the fuck Apple release their headset. It is rumored to be out this year. They are releasing two products this decade which would be the AR/VR headset and AR glasses.

Whether you like Apple or not you can't deny their products sell and set trends. Also, Apple intends for the headset to be their main product within 10 years of release. So if it comes out 2023 then by 2033. That means they want it to replace iPhone which is currently their cash cow. By the 2030s they want to release AR contacts. There is no doubt that Apple is throwing billions at this headset and VR in general.

I think by 2024/25 we'll look back at the current state of VR the same as "smartphones" pre-2007 (or the original iPhone release).

By 2028 i think VR will have taken off. Think of how much the world changed between 2006-2011. 5 years. Imagine what the world could be like in 5 years from now.

It's a huge gamble by Apple but if anyone is going to kick VR into the next level it's them. Naturally, if they do so then many will follow and we'll see significant advancements in the technology. Facebook is definitely waiting to see what Apple's move is with VR/AR. If it proves to be successful we could see Sony/Valve/Microsoft jumping in.

People like to joke at the metaverse but it's not just what Facebook is trying to sell you (a VR chat rip off). There is insane potential and money to be made from the metaverse. It could change the world just like smartphones did. Instead of having a phone in your hand these companies would LOVE to have you strap a device acrosss your eyes and beam their ads right into your eyeballs. That's the metaverse.

edit: as for your other points. PS5/XBX only showing their age in 2028? alright you're trolling lol. they are already outdated and they are only just over 2 years old. by 2028 they will be struggling.
I’m not trolling. This gen has hardly been tickled by software. We’re still playing last gen games on new consoles. And tech improvements (gfx wise) are slowing down. People were still squeezing life out of the 16-but consoles a decade after they were released. I believe the same will be true for this gen.

I appreciate your long and detailed answer but I am unconvinced. VR is too immersive. People have housemates, roommates and wives/husbands/live in partners. Sitting there with a helmet on doesn’t work for most people’s domestic situations. That is why I think it will never take off at home.

VR in the office works though. Excel that takes up your whole vision would make life a lot easier.

Last edited:

Xbox has 200 million users, 150M of them on £40 gamepass console sticks. It does not have a new console but is considering new tiers for higher gfx on streaming.

Sony announces another delay of PS6, as pressure mounts to rejuvenate the console market.

There is much hype over leaks of a deal between Sega and Nintendo collaberating on hardware. People only have themselves to blame for their disappointment when it is revealed to be a Sega skinned Switch to celebrate the launch of Sonic and Friends.

you think people who spend thousands on PC hardware to get the best graphics/performance are suddenly going to switch to fucking iOS and Android? lmfao

i do play games on my phone but no way in high hell would i make it my main platform lol.
This thread concerns future speculation so take with a pinch. There'll probably always be designated PCs... maybe, but these days mobile and laptop platforms are already starting to see signs of merging. New iPhones on release are starting to surpass PCs that are only a couple of years old. I can imagine a time (if it's not already here in some ways) that your phone connects to your TV for gaming, using a controller of course. Then there's cloud gaming.

johnjohn

- PSVR2 flopped and any plans for PSVR3 have been shelved.
- COD will still be multiplatform, but Xbox is back to being the de facto COD platform thanks to the marketing rights and exclusive perks returning to Xbox after the acquisition. (And Game Pass of course)
- Sony buys SE
- MS buys Sega

schaft0620

2028 will be the final year of this Gen. Amazon Xbox is about to unveil the Xbox Cloud Box code name project Raptor.

God of War "3" is the big PS6 launch game with GT8 and Final Fantsay 7 8K collection.

Shifty1897

It's 2028. The turkeys have taken over. Humans are enslaved and forced to work day and night for their gobbling overlords. Any attempt at resistance is ruthlessly stamped and pecked out.

Video games are outlawed.

anothertech

Okay picture this, Snowy ash drizzles from the sky. A ravenous pack of dogs surrounds you as the flame at the end of your stick dies out. There’s only one hope left for you. The door to my shelter. You pound, you beg! Please let me in! But I ignore your cries and do not let you in. Phil Spencer will be eaten! Nadella will be taken slave! Jim Ryan will be made a warlord’s gesture. Amy Hennig will do ok. Be assured this day will come. It’s just a matter of time.

I actually have family in the industry so I'm kind of an expert on what's coming up. My brother has a top-ten website and my uncle worked at the video store until it closed about ten years ago.

The year is 2028...

Nintendo released Tears of the Kingdom and it became one of the best-selling, highest-rated games ever released by Nintendo, within a year people that never played it denounce it as being the most overrated game ever released. Nintendo announces a new console in 2025 along with a trailer for a new Zelda game set 30,100 years before Tears of the Kingdom. The Switch 2 releases in 2026 and is easily outselling the previous Switch. It's a 1080P Nvidia-based machine with a 120Hz OLED screen. People cry about the hardware being only as powerful as the PS4 Pro, but the system sells like toilet paper in the early days of the pandemic anyways because nobody actually cares about 4K that much even in 2028. Launch titles included a new mainline Mario, a new Xenoblade title and several other first-party releases. In 2028 it's easily the most popular console on the market as it's the only console left with games that work on day one without an online check. Pokemon Blart and Snarf release in 2028 with visuals that make the DS Pokemon games look great in comparison and a load of bugs, the game instantly outsells the combined libraries of the other consoles on the market because Pokemon.

Xbox acquired Actiblizz and held to their promise to put COD on Playstation. They released the game on the PS4 and will "update it for ten years". No other games from any Xbox studios are released on Playstation again including Mojang's games. Microsoft grabs several more developers after Actiblizz and continues to not realease games from them for several years after buying them. A sequel to Halo Infinite launched in 2027 with no sign of Forge or local co-op multiplayer even by the end of 2028 but they're doing their best so stop bullying them. Fable released in 2027 and it was pretty okay but sold fairly poorly because it's Fable. Rare is still releasing Sea of Thieves updates, Everwild is still a WIP but they're fairly sure they know what they're making now. Gears 6 launches starring a diverse all-female cast and introduces a time paradox where the new cast goes back in time, gets credit for everything Marcus and his crew did, and they do it better. Forza Motorsport released in late 2023 as a GAS and it still updated regularly, players still point out that most car models date back to Forza Motorsport 4. Forza Horizon 6 released based on Japan. Once again, the game looks and plays well but it's infested with neon jizz and screaming idiots. The Japanese actively hate it and refer to Playground Games as "Demons". Bethesda released Elder Scrolls VI in 2026 which is touted as being "10 times the size of Starfield". In June 2028 Fallout 5, which is touted as "ten times the size of Elder Scrolls VI", is shown for the first time and is set to release that fall but is delayed. People begin to suspect Todd Howard and Peter Molyneux might actually be the same person and debate as to whether they've ever been in the same place at the same time. Xbox releases the Xbox Elite Series 4, the new controller uses hall effect sticks to eliminate drift, fixed the sticking buttons, uses an improved variation of the feedback motors in the Dualsense, have remappable face buttons with swappable buttons to change the letters, but they made the shell out of fucking plaster, so they just fall apart. So close. The Xbox Series X gets a mid-gen upgrade called the Xbox Series X X that nobody really cares about. It's even taller than the Series X. The new Xbox is announced at the 2027 VGAs after a 30-minute acceptance speech from Chris Judge for God of War: Boy's Day Out while Al Pacino passes away in the background. Microsoft has no idea what to call the fucking thing because they've shit the bed so badly with naming conventions so they call it the Xbox X Box which just confuses everyone even more including Microsoft themselves. Xbox also acquired Sega next Wednesday.

Sony releases remasters of every game they released between 2015 and 2025 including games already remastered multiple times, then realize they forgot to make new games to go with the remasters. By 2028 all Sony studios releases are on PC day one but Bloodborne and Gran Turismo are still not released on PC despite guaranteed success. Sony tries to start their own PC storefront in 2026 but return to Steam by 2028 with its tail between its legs. The PS5 Pro launched in 2024 and nobody cared because it's stupid. Horizon: Aloy's Day Out releases with the Pro featuring even bouncier hair, but Aloy has become such an unlikeable cunt nobody likes the game at all. In 2027 Sony announced the PS6 along with God of War: Boy's Day Out where you only play as the kid with a fauxhawk but he's an angsty teenager now, another Last of Us entry which is a prologue called The Last of Us Part III: The First of Us which Druckmann declared will be the first "telegram-like game" before crying, Uncharted 5: Cassie's Day Out starring the daughter nobody cared about, Spider-Man starring Gwen which is quite good, and some more remasters of games released in the last five years. Gran Turismo 8 will release in ten years. The new console is four feet tall and shaped like some kind of bong. It absolutely doesn't fit in an entertainment center and looksout of place just about anywhere. The new controller called the Tripplesense emits screams of pain and it also emits fluids when the on-screen character takes damage, and the battery life is still under 6 hours.

Gabe is somehow still alive, and his creation continues to exchange your money for games on sale that you'll most likely never play because nobody has that much time. The sales continue to get worse every year but so does the competition.

Nvidia DLSS 6 is out, which upscales 240P inputs to 8K with an improvement over native 8K and an 800% boost to performance so the top-end cards can run Microsoft Flight Simulator at 480fps at 8K. Console players quickly point out that one frame after a black screen there are artifacts and declare 4K/30fps is still better. Ray tracing is now old news and can be done easily on entry-level Nvidia cards after discovering a simple fix, even the upcoming consoles including the Switch 2 can do it decently. Nvidia changes the RTX naming to XTX for the 70-series cards because a new hard-to-do rendering thing exists that they make special hardware for. People are quick to point out the new consoles from Sony and Xbox are as powerful as the outgoing XTX 7060 when not counting a variety of criteria with a focus on one thing they think might be better, possibly, once the true "next-gen" games release. The XTX 80 series launches just as the new consoles do and easily outperform the new consoles before they even launch. "Cross-gen" is blamed for this. The video card market has self-regulated and Nvidia releases their new cards at a "reasonable" price in the hopes next time nobody will notice if they jack prices up again because Nvidia. AMD launches whatever they call their new cards by 2028 which can't do the "new hard to do technical thing" Nvidia's cards do, so sales are comparably mediocre, but they keep trying anyways. Bless them.

Last edited:
SONY:

[PS5]

-PS5 reaches 125 million units sold globally by early 2028​
-PS5 Slim will have been available since Late 2023, a wireless module option for PSVR2 since Late 2024/Early 2025​
-PS Storefront/Launcher for PC available since 2026 (having both ad-based and subscription-based models, acts​
as a "virtualized" PlayStation console in a sense)​
-With advent of PS Storefront/Launcher on PC, some Day 1 non live-service/GaaS games start to launch between​
PS5 and PC via the PS Storefront exclusively​
-Studio acquisitions/strategic partnerships/investments during PS5 gen likely involve Ember Lab, Shift Up, Pearl Abyss, Sloclap,​
Arc System Works, Deviation Games, Asobo, Striking Distance Studios, Square-Enix Creative Business Unit 3, From Software,​
DICE, etc.​
-Publisher acquisitions/strategic partnerships/investments during PS5 gen likely involve Capcom, Kadokawa, Square-Enix (​
Capcom & Square-Enix more likely, Kadokawa less likely in terms of actual acquisitions), Koei-Tecmo, Konami, Cygames,​
Tencent, Ubisoft etc.​
-Some type of new PlayStation portable initiative is launched in 2024/2025 providing at least PS4-level performance in​
a portable unit to entice more Japanese dev support and restore more brand presence in Japan & other markets that​
might favor portable & mobile options. Two SKUs: "traditional" model with just the needed processing & features​
for gaming, and a "smartphone" model with hardware needed for a high-performance smartphone that can dual-boot​
into PS OS and Android​
-New per-game subscription model introduced maybe around 2025/2026. Annual contracts ranging from $3/MO to $8/MO​
depending on game & package perks, allowing people to play new games Day 1 with only a small monthly payment.​
-No PS5 Pro this generation​

[PS6]

-PS6 launched Fall 2028​
-PS6 introduces 3 tiers of VR/AR headsets. An Entry model (bundled with every PS6) as the cheapest option (~ $130 - $150​
MSRP standalone), an Enhanced model for more performant VR/AR (~ $400), and an Enthusiast model offering the most​
feature-rich VR/AR PS6 experience (~ $600 - $700). Enhanced & Enthusiast models not needed, but are good options.​
-Will support multiple (upwards 4) VR/AR users locally in shared gaming experiences, but per-headset bandwidth is more limited​
as a tradeoff​
-Can support a mix of wired & wireless VR/AR headset users to one system​
-New PSVR3 headsets cross-compatible on PS6 & PC via the PS Storefront/Launcher​
-PSVR3 may or may not be usable on PS5, but should be BC with PSVR2 software & peripherals​
-PSVR3 natively supports either wired or wireless options (optional wireless module required if wanting wireless VR/AR and​
wifi internet simultaneously)​
-Single SKU, $599 MSRP (for PS6 & PSVR3 Entry headset)​
-No native disc drive; PS6 will be a digital console but provide disc support through optional fit-to-form disc drive. Will​
also be BC with PS5's modular/detachable disc drive​
-Will support microSD with secure load of game file transfer, expediated through interfacing with system's decompression I/O​
-OS enhanced with many new features & QOL that can seamlessly transition & adapt between traditional & VR/AR space,​
even provide a mix of both (i.e a user with the headset can see some options enhanced/private while a person viewing on​
the TV can see other options of the same content; or shifting content from TV to VR/AR space seamlessly)​
-To have an option against Nintendo (MOTL), will launch a new PS portable model with PS5-level performance to replace​
the older model at the high end, and simultaneously launch a new SKU for the older PS portable with PSVR3 Entry VR/AR​
headset bundled​
-Will probably have a new Astrobot game to showcase features & benefits of VR/AR integration into OS and system​
experience for gaming capabilities​
-PS6 specs will include use of HBM3-PIM (Processing In Memory) with distributed customized CPU core logic alongside​
scalable GPU logic, coupled with a base block with more traditional CPU cores, full integrated Northbridge/Southbridge​
I/O subsystems (with PNM (Processing Near Memory) logic & buffers), and GPU frontend logic. GPU frontend, shader,​
& backend logic can have separate clocks for best balance. Based off potential future AMD GPU architecture targeting​
fully embedded platforms, with co-development from Sony and Microsoft.​
-Think of this hardware setup as a full realization of what Cell aimed for back in 2006, only better fleshed out,​
better scalability, easier dev use (compatibility with all the popular APIs and frameworks) and wider market support.​
-Regardless, Sony will have some customizations to their implementation for PlayStation 6.​

MICROSOFT:

[SERIES S/X/etc]

-Series cloud streaming console not dead; launches either Late 2023 or Mid 2024 for $130 - $150 in two SKUs: one with​
a remote that can be used as a gamepad ($130 SKU option) ala Wiimote (but with Xbox-style buttons and thumbpads​
to replicate thumbsticks), and one with the remote & a regular Xbox Series controller ($150 SKU)​
-Most GamePass loopholes have been closed by 2025, or things like MS Rewards points have their redeem values heavily​
reduced. All to encourage higher ARPU from the service​
-Studio acquisitions/strategic partnerships/investments during S/X gen likely involve Certain Affinity, Avalanche, Platinum Games,​
Asobo, Game Science etc.​
-Publisher acquisitions/strategic partnerships/investments during S/X gen likely involve Ubisoft and Sega​
-Series S & X "upgrades" release in 2023/2024. For Series S, a new model with increased internal storage to 1 TB and​
a slight GPU clock increase to 1.7 GHz and GDDR6 chip speed increase to 16 Gbps (system bandwidth increase to 320 GB/s).​
For Series X, same 1 TB storage kept but now added support for standard internal m.2 SSDs (CF Express slot potentially​
removed for cost reasons), GPU clock increase to 2 GHz (128 Gpixels/sec, 416 Gtexels/sec, 13.56 TF). New Series S​
model phases out previous model, same with new Series X model​
-New Series S MSRP $349, New Series X MSRP $549​
-MS will whitelist Series S/X compatibility with a 3P VR headset (possibly provide HTC Reverb & Vive VR headset support to consoles)​
either late 2023 or sometime in 2024 to have some kind of VR answer on Xbox​
-Certain Xbox-exclusive games like Grounded, Pentiment, RedFall, Starfield etc. will get Nintendo Switch 2 & PS5 ports by or starting​
in 2025​
-Microsoft introduces a limited form of Windows upgrade license to Xbox owners in 2025. Offers access to all usual non-gaming​
Windows productivity software, files and peripherals one can have on a Windows PC by installing a dual-boot feature and booting​
Xbox Series S or X into Windows mode. Game software storefront access still limited to Xbox storefront, Windows Store & Game Pass.​
However some early efforts of licensing partnerships with Valve & GOG may start forming around this time. Upgrade license cost​
is $99​
-First efforts of some standardized curated GamePass app for iOS & Android devices (accessed natively instead of through a web page)​
emerge starting around 2025. Some progress made with Nintendo & Sony for possible future curated GamePass on their consoles​
may start around this time as well.​
-Between 2025 and 2028, MS's 3P support of Day 1 releases on Sony & Nintendo platforms increases gradually and noticeably. Alongside​
that, Day 1 1P releases in GamePass for Xbox & PC platforms becomes more staggered between tiers, with lower tiers not getting the​
games until 6-12 months later (or longer in very specific cases), to help incentivize more direct game sales among Xbox, PC, Nintendo​
& Sony platforms​
-Also between 2025 and 2028, specific Xbox 1P games start getting native ports to iOS and Android devices. Mainly lower technical scale​
games like Pentiment, Grounded etc. and more of these become Day 1 native releases on iOS & Android devices as well​
-Xbox storefront ported to PC with integration into Windows store, to basically relaunch that service, sometime between 2025​
and 2028​

[NEXT XBOX]

-Launches in Fall 2028​
-Two models: one as a SFF mini-tower style system, the other as a (very) slim profile slate that can be modularly configured into a Surface-style laptop​
-SFF mini-tower style system is the more powerful one, performance roughly equivalent to a PS6. Allows for 3P AMD/Nvidia GPU upgrade​
expansion via a fit-to-form eGPU expansion module (3P eGPU modules can also be used via Thunderbolt 5/6). Uses socketed, upgradable CPU.​
"iGPU" via some custom mini-GPU card (think something like Series X's I/O card) with high-bandwidth interconnect forcing cache coherency through​
SAM/BAR or something like that. Upgradable CPU DDR6 RAM (up to 64 GB); internal GPU uses either GDDR8 or some form of HBM.​
-Upgradable CPU has to be supported by the OS and motherboard, as well as the BIOS. Upgradable GPU support will be determined by the​
limitations of installed CPU. System has a "dummy-proof" secure boot system that ensures any upgraded part which could cause system performance​
problems (drawing too much power beyond PSU limits for example) locks the full system from booting, providing use message (some microcontroller​
with Flash ROM or something would have to initialize/check state of system at boot and access video display to provide message from Flash ROM if​
an issue with installed parts is detected)​
-Slim profile model has performance profile of at least Series X, possibly more. CAMM-style DRAM module for CPU, non-upgradable iGPU with dedicated​
HBM memory. Very rectangular in surface area, very thin in Z-depth height. Optional fit-to-form screen (touch-enabled, at least 120 Hz refresh, screen​
haptics etc.) and keyboard covers can be purchased and added to make it like a laptop​
-Support for 3P eGPUs​
-Both new Next Xbox systems default to including Windows out of the box, instead of as a purchasable license. As well, both allow for access to​
3P storefronts (Steam, GOG, EGS etc.)​
-Xbox OS still supported for BC purposes; however priority of 1P development will shift to Windows platforms now​
-Outside of timed PC exclusives (like Flight Sim etc. which incidentally would be playable on Next Xbox since it runs Windows), 1P content will be​
multiplat with native builds for PC/Next Xbox, PS5/PS6, Switch 2, and iOS/Android devices, with select games depending on scope​
(i.e Pentiment 2 a Day 1 on all platforms mentioned, but a Forza Motorsport 10 Day 1 on PC/Next Xbox & PS6 only, etc.)​
-Next Xbox SFF system MSRP $999. Next Xbox Slim System: $499 (base), $99 (Xbox Keyboard cover), $199 (Xbox Display Panel) ($799 total)​

NINTENDO:

[SWITCH/SWITCH 2]

-Switch 2 releasing Late 2023, maybe Early 2024 for remaining global markets. Fully BC with Switch 1 games, user accounts, etc.​
-Switch 2 will probably aim for somewhere between an Xbox One and Steam Deck in terms of spec performance, will not use CAMM-style​
memory (unless Dell & Nvidia work something out), will go with LPDDR5 at a sufficient clock​
-Studio partnerships/investment will likely include Platinum Games (for Bayonetta, and possibly W101/Pikmin), Atlus (SMT, possibly some smaller games, or​
getting Persona/SMT characters in Smash Bros.), Sonic Team, and M2 (emulator stuff, maybe some smaller new indies with Nintendo IP), Teams Bravely, Asano​
& Acquire​
-No publisher acquisitions, but can see big investments into both Sega and Capcom, Square-Enix and Ubisoft​
-No real big gimmick for Switch 2, but they may bring Amiibos back in a big way alongside it​
-More iOS/Android specific games based on existing Nintendo IP (including possibly Mario Party & Animal Crossing)​

[SWITCH 3]

-Probably won't release until post-2028 honestly​
-If so, will have to contend with Sony's portable systems (the "console"-oriented older system released years prior, the higher-end (PS5-level spec) one​
releasing 2028), including the new SKU for the older model packing PSVR 3 Entry headset in it for a reasonable bundle price ($299 - $349 MSRP)​
-Switch 3 (or whatever it's called by then) will probably be an integrated VR/AR headset with localized processing built into it, similar to the Meta​
Quest line of devices.​
-Spec-wise Switch 3 probably comes more along Series S & PS4 Pro level of performance, with modern features support​
-Switch 3 MSRP of $399, probably includes a pre-installed 1P game to show off system features​
-Amiibos (or equivalent items) will offer expanded VR/AR functions for Switch 3​
-Possible Switch 3 release date of 2030​

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

- Sony revamps PS plus again. Adds day 1 releases and increases price tag.
- Xbox creates channels within gamepass for additional subscription like Amazon does with prime. "Activision channel" "Bethesda channel" (disgusting thought but I can see it).
- Sony ramps up PC releases and starts releasing day 1 with console.
- Xbox partners with Meta to use the Quest on Xbox.
- PSVR2 collects dust shortly after releasing but gaf has success threads every month regardless. (Not saying will flop, but won't be a smash)
- GTA6 releases without a number attached so it continues with GaaS.
- Netflix flops it's gaming attempt and increases its price like morons to recoup losses.
- Bungie ironically finally gives Sony a halo killer.
- Nintendo gets an achievement system.
- Xbox releases a new exclusive shooter by Treyarch/infinity ward and says "but it's not call of duty"
- Sony acquires a Square or another Japanese house after they fall on their face for jumping on the NFT train.
- Nintendo releases a new console with the same name and confuses the market again and hurts itself.
- apple enters VR and every influencer raves like apple created something new.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Darkness and ashes falling from the sky, charred bodies around, your geiser counter screams in pain.

And in the midst of it all you run , clutching a PS Vita and a copy of Gravity Rush as if they were your most valuable possessions.

You look behind you, every bone in your body freezes when your eyes meet what can only be describe as a look of pure madness.

"At last!" Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme utters while looking back at you "The last piece of my collection! I shall now be whole again!"

- Sony utilizes the upcoming new chip plant they're co-building with TSMC in Japan to get their ReRAM chip production off the ground finally. For reference, these were the target specs of the ReRAM tech a couple years ago:

128GB drive [8 x 16GB] - 25.6 GB/s read, 9.6 GB/s write, PCIe gen5 x8, target wattage 14.6W+
256GB drive [16 x 16GB] - 51.2 GB/s read, 19.2 GB/s write, PCIe gen5 x16, target wattage 27.2W+

This ReRAM tech will initially see use in high end expensive electronics like expensive cameras and whatnot. Fast forward a couple of years to 2028, and Sony's got the tech refined down enough that this will become the SSD in the PS6 which launches holiday 2028.

The whole ReRAM was interesting before, it still is now TBH but, will it really have a use-case in a mass-market consumer console by 2028? Intel just ditched Optane last year and Micron pulled out of HBC years prior. SSDs have been getting faster with each gen and seemingly every year, I think by 2028 we'll have SSDs using regular NAND with the read/write bandwidth of the ReRAM you have there, likely even more bandwidth actually.

Where do you see ReRAM being in terms of specs by 2028? If they could get even higher bandwidth, say roughly equivalent to what PS5's bandwidth is today, for a 256 GB capacity, on CXL 3.0 (or 4.0 if that's available, or some kind of alternative if they don't want CXL maybe because of tie-ups with Intel or something)..that would be a very attractive last-level memory pool actually. They wouldn't need a particularly fast SSD or even that much in terms of decompression I/O, if they can get 256 GB or even 128 GB of ReRAM in PS6 at anything approaching PS5 RAM bandwidth levels (even 224 GB/s would be quite good, but preferably more).

That could also help keep memory (I'm hoping they go to HBM, preferably HBM-PIM) clocks lower and capacity more modest. Ideally though, since ReRAM's bit & byte addressable you'd want the system to access it through a modified memory controller, not PCIe, as that'd be lower latency. I'm just thinking of a system using a mix of say 32 GB HBM-PIM (1.5 TB/s - 2 TB/s), 128 GB - 256 GB (maybe at least 196 GB as a middle-ground) ReRAM (maybe 384 GB/s, if not higher), and 1 TB m.2 SSD (16 GB/s, but can support a bit faster).

I don't know if Sony could add PIM logic to the ReRAM but if so that would be great. At least have some PNM logic there though. Anything that can help cut down the power consumption through moving data around memory is welcomed. I agree though that it'd need to first come to other devices over a period of years (maybe even make a case for itself in data centers) where they can iterate on the tech and optimize implementations, and help drive some costs down, before featuring it in PS6.

I don't think Sony would be adverse to letting a company like Microsoft utilize it either, even for the next Xbox, if that helps with market adoption.

- Xbox creates channels within gamepass for additional subscription like Amazon does with prime. "Activision channel" "Bethesda channel" (disgusting thought but I can see it).

Can see that happening. A more realistic way of the service being self-sustaining, too.

- PSVR2 collects dust shortly after releasing but gaf has success threads every month regardless.

Dunno why some people seem to want PSVR2 to fail, some even acting as if it's launching with no games (it has 30+ coming Day 1) or it's priced too high (Valve Index is still $999, some high-end HTC headsets are also high-priced as is the high-end Quest coming out soonish) for its intended market.

I think it'll do pretty well long-term, TBH.

gothmog

Gold Member
- Xbox finally acquires Activision/Blizzard. Agrees to publish a collection of titles multi-platform for 10 years.
- Right after the acquisition is approved, Amazon, Google, and/or Apple buy major publishers.
- Sony announces an partnership with one of these companies to provide probably timed exclusive games for PlayStation.
- Apple releases AR glasses that feel like the true next step in wearable computing. Gamers start to salivate at the possibilities.
- Sony starts talking about a PSAR variant of PSVR2 to ride the Apple hype.
- Nintendo releases a new hybrid console with a flagship Mario title. It prints money like the Switch did.

ZehDon

Gold Member
New Year's morning 2028. Another cold day in hell. Day and night, Gamers are wired into the metaverse. They drop their Government stimulus payments on ironic Flappy Bird wallpapers and censored Anime Cat-Girl t-shirts for their Meta Avatars. Offline play is illegal. Everything is a subscription.
The streets are littered with useless optical discs. Developers hide during the day, and scamper about at night, moving from one hiding place to another, desperate to avoid Microsoft's newest fleet of Acquisition Bots. No one is safe.
Sony's annual re-release of TLOU has just landed, along with their annual price increase. USD$120.00. The game has self-shadowing hair now, but only if you run in the 24FPS cinematic mode. Controller input is optional.
The Nintendo Switch is still the best-selling console. Rumours of a Pro model have recently re-surfaced. Hope is cheap.
At the annual Game Awards, Troy Baker's performance in the remastered remake of the re-re-release of the TLOU1 Remaster wins. Again. He gives a twenty-two-minute speech. Everyone cheers.
Happy New Year, gamers.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
  • Big titty booth babes are back at conventions.
  • Big titty protagonists are newly created to star in brand new action adventure games.
  • Big titty cosplayers, streamers, and influencers team up with publishers to promote games.
  • Big titty executives give daily gaming deals through their OF pages.

giphy.gif

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Darkness and ashes falling from the sky, charred bodies around, your geiser counter screams in pain.

And in the midst of it all you run , clutching a PS Vita and a copy of Gravity Rush as if they were your most valuable possessions.

You look behind you, every bone in your body freezes when your eyes meet what can only be describe as a look of pure madness.

"At last!" Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme utters while looking back at you "The last piece of my collection! I shall now be whole again!"

Ese merito soy yo :messenger_squinting_tongue:.

Any Gravity rush item is a gold relic.

DKPOWPOW

ND > Are you not counting Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy and TLOU 2? They released 3 new games since TLOU and one remake.

And now that you mention it, I'm surprised there hasn't been a massive Zelda movie yet. It'd surely be a big hit.
Meant to say TLOU2/the remake.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
- PlayStation 5 will sell approximately 120m consoles.
- Sony will see massive success on PC via releasing their first party titles day and date years earlier.
- Sony will see their market share slightly decrease from the current 70% to about 65%.
- Nintendo will acquire Platinum Games.
- Nintendo Switch will surpass PlayStation 2 as the best selling gaming console of all time with over 160m units sold.
- Microsoft will acquire several development studios.
- Microsoft will acquire a Japanese third party publisher.
- Microsoft's Xbox Series consoles will sell 90m+ worldwide.
- Microsoft's Game Pass will have over 100m paid subscribers.
- Microsoft will find success in the mobile market thanks to mobile games from King, Blizzard and COD Mobile.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
- Squeenix releases more shitty low budget games and more boring AAA games.
- Dragon's Dogma 2 blows everything out of the water
- Nintendo announces their new console at the end of the year scheduled for release in 2024
- Dragon Quest 12 will get mixed reactions
- Remakes, remakes, remakes and remasters

Top Bottom