• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Only Been 1 Month Into 2022 And..

We had 2 giant electronic manufacturers Microsoft and Sony announced studio acquisitions and barely a month has passed into this new year.

Microsoft bought Activision Blizzard for 68 Billion on January 19th, 2022
Sony bought Bungie today on January 31st, 2022 for 3.6 Billion

Ok at this point let's take a guess the rest of the 2022 acquisitions for next 11 months.

February 25th Microsoft will announce purchase of From Software on the release day of Elden Ring (remember all the marketing for all the Souls games have also been with Microsoft including Dark Souls II, Dark Souls III, Sekiro and Elden Ring) Bloodborne and Demon's Souls no, because Sony owns the actual IPs.

Sony will announce purchase of Capcom on August 12th (Street Fighter was originally released in 1987 on August 12th) This year marks it's 35th anniversary and Capcom confirmed the next Street Fighter project reveal later this year for the 35th anniversary. They will announce the game along with the purchase of the company, just my guess.

On April 1st, Microsoft will announce purchase of Valve and announce Half Life 3, but it will just be a April's fools joke. Half Life 3 apparently is more of a unicorn than the combination of Activation Blizzard being purchased by anyone let alone Microsoft, Final Fantasy 7 Remake being real, Shenmue 3 being real ever were at this point.

Sega will finally announce its being purchased by Microsoft one of these Wednesdays throughout the rest of the year. Probably when Sonic releases this Holiday and it will be a Wednesday to follow along the meme would make most sense.

Give me your HOT TAKES.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Doesn't affect me since I'm not into Bungie games nor Activision ones. Only benefit I could see is if any of this means M$ reviving some franchises like Heretic or Hexen, but I kinda doubt it.

That said I don't like that those two big companies are consolidating so many devs under them. I would like the gaming industry better if everyone was independant and not what it is today, but whatever.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Hopefully they buy all the publishers and then they will be forced to put their subscriptions on the other box to gather a large enough audience.

Zeroing

Banned
but what about the MS curse? Everything they buy, they manage to kill… Skype, Nokia, Rare… etc

Sony will buy their VAIO brand back and make a PlayStation PC..

I am joking 🙃

ParaSeoul

Square Enix sells Enix to Koei Tecmo and Koei Tecmo sells Tecmo to Square Enix.
Keanu Reeves GIF

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

ParaSeoul

Nintendo also has a stake in Kadokawa, doesn't mean they are going to buy one of their studios.
I can't find anything about Nintendo's stake. I know minority stakes don't mean acquisitions are going to happen but it would make sense for this one to happen given their history.

Woopah

I can't find anything about Nintendo's stake. I know minority stakes don't mean acquisitions are going to happen but it would make sense for this one to happen given their history.
Nintendo lists the companies they own shares in in their annual reports. The 2021 Report (page 47) shows Nintendo owning shares in (among others):
  • Kadokawa
  • Square Enix
  • Konami
  • Koei Tecmo
  • Bandai Namco
I don't think Nintendo or Sony owning shares in these publishers points towards them buying studios from them (though it can and has happened).

VN1X

Banned
I hope Sony buys Acclaim Entertainment next. That will really get the ball rolling baby!

Last edited:
Top Bottom