• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.A. Bayona will direct Amazons Lord of the Rings show

Amazon has selected a director for its upcoming Lord of the Rings TV series: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’s J.A. Bayona, reports Deadline. Bayona will direct the first two episodes of the series and will serve as executive producer along with producer Belén Atienza. The announcement doesn’t reveal when the series will debut on Amazon Prime Video or what other directors will be involved in the series.
In the announcement, Bayona confirmed what Amazon had been teasing earlier this year: the show will be set in the “Second Age” of Middle-earth, and it will be a “never before seen story.” Jennifer Salke, the head of Amazon Studios, said in a statement that “the scope and breadth of J.A.’s world-building is exactly the right fit for our ambitions for The Lord of the Rings. He’s a passionate and collaborative director who has brought new stories to life with his multitalented producing partner, Belén.” Bayona most recently directed the latest installment of the Jurassic Park franchise, but he’s also known for films like A Monster Calls, The Impossible, and The Orphanage. He’s also worked in television before: he directed the first two episodes of Showtime’s Penny Dreadful.

Link.

First thought: Fallen Kingdom looked so stupid I never bothered seeing it. Is this really the person they want to handle this material? Amazons wants its own Game of Thrones. Okay. Makes sense. Getting Lord of the Rings IP is a great scoop. Okay, committing over 1 billion to the project is great. Three times the amount of the original LOTR trilogy.
So, why, oh why don't you put a highly respected director in the seat? Someone who can juggle big crews and big productions. There had to have been someone better for the job? To be fair though- Many people had a lot of problems with Peter Jackson getting the job for the original films, but he was selected for his knowledge of special effects and his cult following for his smaller indie movies.

If we are going to have a big ass walled garden streaming service war, we as consumers better get some real good shit. So much of this project sounds on point. It could really be something good. Most fantasy tv shows are sent to die because they are so low budget. This project has an unprecedented amount of backing behind it. It could be gigantic if its well cast, well directed and well scripted.

I can’t say I personally feel like “man I really need more Lord of the Rings” but I’m sure it will be great and very successful. I bet a lot of people are thrilled. Good stuff

I can’t say I personally feel like “man I really need more Lord of the Rings” but I’m sure it will be great and very successful. I bet a lot of people are thrilled. Good stuff

I am reading the Hobbit for the first time right now, and man it's good. What a great simple little read! It is really, really good.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Never heard of him before.
I don't think anyone heard of any of the Marvel directors, or the Game of Thrones directors really before they got big. We're in the era of small time directors getting very large budgets and being guided by producers.

JW:FK is one of the worst movies ever made. OMG why? Why Amazon, why?

And he calls himself J.A. too lol

Getting big McG Terminator feels here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom